Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

"Questionable" is a portmanteau of "Questioning" and "I am able".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IIRC “cherry” comes from English speakers thinking that “cherise”—the old north french word for cherry—was the plural form

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The English "etymology" is a compound word made up of two Greek roots, etymos ("fictional") and logos ("word")

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

PancakeTransmission posted:

Where do you people come up with this stuff?

from the lie-berry.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

christmas boots posted:

IIRC “cherry” comes from English speakers thinking that “cherise”—the old north french word for cherry—was the plural form

This also happened to the pea, which started out in English as "pease", from the Latin Pisum. The original form of the word is still preserved in such as "pease porridge".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Phy posted:

This also happened to the pea, which started out in English as "pease", from the Latin Pisum. The original form of the word is still preserved in such as "pease porridge".

Also the origin of "piss poor" I take it?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Krankenstyle posted:

Also the origin of "piss poor" I take it?

No, that’s because medieval dirt farmers would sell their piss buckets to tanners to survive.

Some people couldn’t even afford a pot to piss in :downs:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No, that’s because medieval dirt farmers would sell their piss buckets to tanners to survive.

Some people couldn’t even afford a pot to piss in :downs:

.... except that doesn't make any sense because "piss poor" doesn't mean "extremely poor", it means "of very low standard". Eg: that was a piss-poor attempt at folk etymology.

The "piss buckets" story is a popular urban myth that's been posted online over and over, making it piss-easy for such a piss-weak story to spread.

pissssssssss.

Edit: I was just about to post the "piss buckets" definition as well but I googled it to find a link and discovered I was wrong about the origin of the phrase and it turns out people in the 1940s and 50s just enjoyed adding the word "piss" to phrases, including piss-rotten, piss-awful, piss-elegant, etc etc..

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Feb 11, 2020

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
The internet makes you piss.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

holy poo poo piiiiiiissss

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

.... except that doesn't make any sense because "piss poor" doesn't mean "extremely poor", it means "of very low standard". Eg: that was a piss-poor attempt at folk etymology.

The "piss buckets" story is a popular urban myth that's been posted online over and over, making it piss-easy for such a piss-weak story to spread.

pissssssssss.

Edit: I was just about to post the "piss buckets" definition as well but I googled it to find a link and discovered I was wrong about the origin of the phrase and it turns out people in the 1940s and 50s just enjoyed adding the word "piss" to phrases, including piss-rotten, piss-awful, piss-elegant, etc etc..

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the :downs: meant that Edgar Allen Ho was knowingly referencing an old bullshit etymology. As a joke.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Look if it wasn't for people making obvious etymology jokes to get the extremely pyf voices started, this thread would get one post per calendar year, frankly I think we should be thanking them for their service

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah there's several people who post in here specifically fo that, like the guy who posts things like "Dnobner :stonk:" in the Terrible Names thread.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hey! That's Wayne Gretzky.

He used to be funny, show him some respect.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

"Dishonor" comes from "Dish" and "Onor".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Aphrodite posted:

Hey! That's Wayne Gretzky.

He used to be funny, show him some respect.

All I remember of him was his posts in the qcs bad advertising thread back when we had a shitload of ads featuring scantily clad women that lead to Amazon referral links, he made it very clear those ads were fine and not a problem by insulting anyone that complained about the borderline nws ads

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Inzombiac posted:

"Dishonor" comes from "Dish" and "Onor".

It's only dishonor if it comes from the Onor region of Japan. Otherwise it's just sparkling shame.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Inceltown posted:

It's only dishonor if it comes from the Onor region of Japan. Otherwise it's just sparkling shame.

Sparkling comes from “spar” and “cling”

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

beanieson posted:

Sparkling comes from “spar” and “cling”

This one's an interesting etymology because it actually comes from "spark" and "cling", but as you've noted sparks got their name from combining the fact that they often happened during sparring matches with the onomatopoeia of the swords scraping against each other.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

christmas boots posted:

This one's an interesting etymology because it actually comes from "spark" and "cling", but as you've noted sparks got their name from combining the fact that they often happened during sparring matches with the onomatopoeia of the swords scraping against each other.

Scraping comes from “crap” and “sing”

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
So, if you're like me, you already know the correct subtitle of Donkey Kong Country 2 is Diddy's Kong Quest, not Diddy Kong's Quest. (:goonsay:)

This one is kind of blowing my mind though.

https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1224809491142782977

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Olive! posted:

Donkey Kong Country 2

The first one blew my mind like a decade after the game came out, but I saw that tweet too and don't remember ever noticing the incorrect spelling anywhere :confused:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's a case because the documents pertaining to a particular legal matter were kept in a case :monocle:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Shifty Nipples posted:

holy poo poo piiiiiiissss

:piss:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I figured this out a few years ago, but cdn does not mean the server is Canadian.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I figured this out a few years ago, but cdn does not mean the server is Canadian.

Or Canadian currency.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Not something I figured out just now exactly but its easy to forget and then realize again that Chimpanzees are loving terrifying.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Lemurs are the only good primates.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

MariusLecter posted:

Not something I figured out just now exactly but its easy to forget and then realize again that Chimpanzees are loving terrifying.

Ever since one ate that womans fuckin face and I saw how the literally do war between their tribe or family groups or whatever I realized that we truly do descend from chimps.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not how it works!

Chimps descended from us. Didt you even see Planet of the Apes?!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TK-42-1 posted:

Ever since one ate that womans fuckin face and I saw how the literally do war between their tribe or family groups or whatever I realized that we truly do descend from chimps.

I saw a video description once that said, "chimp fight, loser dies while being eaten" and I gotta tell you I did not watch it.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

MariusLecter posted:

I misread this at first but either way I agree.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ferrule posted:

from the lie-berry.
Goddrat.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
People don't keep toilet brushes next to the toilet so it's nearby whenever you clean it. It's so you can immediately scrape away poop that sticks to the bowl.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

People don't keep toilet brushes next to the toilet so it's nearby whenever you clean it. It's so you can immediately scrape away poop that sticks to the bowl.

Also, where would you keep it?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Jerry Cotton posted:

In the laundry with the communal poop knife.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Jerry Cotton posted:

Growing up, my mom kept it in the cabinet under the bathroom sink with the plunger, cleaning chemicals, and extra toilet paper.

I use the kind with the disposable head and clean it once a month or so.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jerry Cotton posted:

Do you not have a cutlery drawer?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Do you not have a cutlery drawer?

Not in the toilets, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU