Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If at all possible the best thing by far to latch onto for raising your ask is "I have another offer"

Best option: you have a comparable or better actual other offer and use it to raise your ask. Doesn't even matter if it's substantially higher. "I have another offer, and will require $X"

Second best option: you have no actual other offer but big stones, and, can accept them telling you to pound sand. "I have another offer, and will require $X"

Second worst option: You really need to move on, but try and bluff: "I have another offer, and will require $X." "Good luck, go take it!" "err... I will accept your initial offer!"

Worst option: "I have another offer for $Z, and will require $X" "How about $Z?" "Uhhhh...."

The last one is worst because it means you still don't understand information asymmetry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Following on from my previous post, I now could really use advice on how to get myself in to work every day. I'm flying back to stay with family, and my fiance is staying out here for at least four months to finish her master's. She'll be keeping our shared vehicle until she moves. Where I'm staying is out in the boonies- like a 45 min commute to work, so I definitely need a car. Not to mention I'd like to see my friends and stuff. Is there a BFC thread that'd help me figure out my best option, or should it go in a different subforum? I'm flying home in two weeks, so I need to figure this out fast. I'll have family helping me out at first, but I'll need a car soon.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I mean it seems pretty obvious to me you need to buy another car? In which case there's a whole subforum for that.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eric the Mauve posted:

I mean it seems pretty obvious to me you need to buy another car? In which case there's a whole subforum for that.

Agree. Buy something for under $5k and be done with it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hooplah posted:

Following on from my previous post, I now could really use advice on how to get myself in to work every day. I'm flying back to stay with family, and my fiance is staying out here for at least four months to finish her master's. She'll be keeping our shared vehicle until she moves. Where I'm staying is out in the boonies- like a 45 min commute to work, so I definitely need a car. Not to mention I'd like to see my friends and stuff. Is there a BFC thread that'd help me figure out my best option, or should it go in a different subforum? I'm flying home in two weeks, so I need to figure this out fast. I'll have family helping me out at first, but I'll need a car soon.
Use your starting bonus to buy a cheap car. Rent a car or borrow a family member's until them. You'll be fine. You got this.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Hey, just want to say thanks for the advice in the OP. I recently applied for an internal opportunity at my current employer (basically going from temp to permanent) and couldn't figure out what sort of salary to expect/aim for.

As it turned out (and after reading the OP) all I had to say in response to the dreaded "so what sort of salary would you be looking for" question was "That's a good question and would depend on the broader benefits package". The interviewer from HR immediately started going through bonus eligibility, PTO, etc., including their desired salary range. That let me casually mention that the top of that range was where I was looking.

They followed up by offering me the job with a salary about £4k even higher so I have no idea what happened there. Maybe I got played, who cares?

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Staggy posted:

Hey, just want to say thanks for the advice in the OP. I recently applied for an internal opportunity at my current employer (basically going from temp to permanent) and couldn't figure out what sort of salary to expect/aim for.

As it turned out (and after reading the OP) all I had to say in response to the dreaded "so what sort of salary would you be looking for" question was "That's a good question and would depend on the broader benefits package". The interviewer from HR immediately started going through bonus eligibility, PTO, etc., including their desired salary range. That let me casually mention that the top of that range was where I was looking.

They followed up by offering me the job with a salary about £4k even higher so I have no idea what happened there. Maybe I got played, who cares?

Congrats!

I don't think you got played. If you're happy with the outcome that's a win. The higher salary, the benefits, and not being a temp anymore are all fantastic improvements.

You're in a better position now as well since you now have a data point for what this company is willing to give you for the work you're doing. This will help you in future negotiations since you'll have a better idea of what salary to expect/aim for.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Staggy posted:

Sounds like a good outcome to me.

For the position I'm currently in (also internal opportunity) the recruiter was militant about getting a salary range (no amount of hand waving dissuaded him) and I didn't handle it very well. Luckily I already knew the people I'd be working with/for and the recruiter bad mouthing me didn't dissuade them.

It may just be my company but I've never had much luck not stating an expected number/range.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Staggy posted:

Something similar happened to me when I got my second job out of college. I was desperately trying to escape a bad job and was so naive that I thought negotiating would make the new workplace have second thoughts about me -- even though my second interview was literally nothing more than the boss telling me he wanted to hire me and that he wasn't actually supposed to tell me that yet. When he called to formally offer me the job, I said, "I'll take it!" and then the offer letter came in with a $2k bump from the verbal offer. It was a Fortune 100 company; of course they would have a negotiation budget.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Ehh live and learn. New grads have very little negotiating power anyway.

This thread is all about harsh truths but we should also forgive our past mistakes or lack of knowledge.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

PBS posted:

It may just be my company but I've never had much luck not stating an expected number/range.
maybe you should look at another variable

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

PBS posted:

Just keep pushing the line regarding full package re benefits, vacation, work from home policies, all the stuff which doesn't have a number but factors into the offer.

My final interview at my current position was with VP's who pressed, a number of times, for me to give them a number. One of them sighed and replied with "you're not going to give us a number are you?" I shrugged and said no, which I was told later on was actually a positive sign - they figured I'd stand up for myself in difficult situations.

It also meant that it was relatively easy to negotiate up from their offer. My previous employer found out that I had an offer, wined and dined me to try and get me to stay with a new position, more money, etc. The current employer was a long commute (I've since moved, which was always the plan) so I took the former companies offer, added costs for gas/time, and told my current employer that I'd need at least that much to take their offer.

Given that I got a 3% raise after 6 months, and a 7.5% raise 12 months after that, I'm sure I left money on the table. It was a 30% increase for a role I wanted to be in, so I'm counting it as a win anyway.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Staggy posted:

They followed up by offering me the job with a salary about ;4k even higher so I have no idea what happened there. Maybe I got played, who cares?
Grats dude. Put it in the win column and kill it in your new role. One of the toughest parts of negotiation, imho, is taking what you get when you win. You always think you could have gotten a bit more.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

maybe you should look at another variable

Surely you're not implying I'm anything less than perfect?

I've only worked at one company and all my negotiation has been with internal recruiters who already know what I make so I'm pretty limited in experience and I know less than them about the ranges etc. That being said I've managed to double my salary after 4 promotions so I'm doing well enough.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

PBS posted:

I've only worked at one company and all my negotiation has been with internal recruiters who already know what I make so I'm pretty limited in experience and I know less than them about the ranges etc. That being said I've managed to double my salary after 4 promotions so I'm doing well enough.
You should at least interview with a couple other places. Get a better idea of what you could get elsewhere even if you want to stay where you are, it'll put you in a powerful place.

Best offers I ever got were when I was interviewing just to practice interviewing, lol.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I got a job offer from a state agency. However I'm currently the health insurance provider for my wife who needs surgery. How bad is it too turn this down? Bridge burned if this position opens up again in a year or two?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

PBS posted:

He means get offers from other companies.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Goodpancakes posted:

I got a job offer from a state agency. However I'm currently the health insurance provider for my wife who needs surgery. How bad is it too turn this down? Bridge burned if this position opens up again in a year or two?

The general rule is that if you making a reasonable choice as a reasonable person burns a bridge with an employer, you didn't want to be employed by them in the first place.

I wouldn't think it would burn a bridge with any reasonable person. Are you in contact with the hiring manager or working through HR? I'd just explain the situation and say you'd be interested in working with them in the future when your situation changes.

I'm assuming you've done your due diligence and are certain that staying at your current job is the only financially feasible way to pay for COBRA or whatever until your new health insurance kicks in, etc.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

PBS posted:

yeah you need to talk to other companies, which means you need to look at why you haven't been talking to other companies, which means you need to look at you

internal recruiting is so awesome for an employer: they know what you're currently making, they know what your performance reviews have been, they know how to make your life hell right now to take away your ability to stay where you are and decrease the value of your batna, and they know how to get multiple other candidates who are just as bent over a barrel as you are to increase the value of their batna

negotiation is mostly a 0-sum game, so what's good for your interviewing employer is bad for you as an interviewing employee

and you have continually put yourself in the position to have all these disadvantages

it's you, you need to look at you

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
it's totally fine if you want to stay at your current employer, you should just do so from a position of strength and knowledge

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
Over the next two weeks I have 2 second interviews and 1 first interview for 3 different companies.

The pay is different between the 3 jobs, but the highest paying job also has double the commute time, so I'm leaning towards the shortest commute job (which is also the lowest paying). If a company offers me a job, is it appropriate to say something like "I need a week to consider this position, I have 2 other jobs waiting, but if you are willing to raise the pay by $x I'll take it right now"? How do I word it? Or is that not even an option? I don't want to start out looking like an rear end in a top hat.

SA Forums Poster fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 14, 2020

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I'd just focus on making sure you sound enthusiastic about the position. "Thank you for the offer to join Company; I was really impressed with Whatever Bullshit! I'll need a week to evaluate some other offers. I'm excited to join your team, but right now I would need $X in salary or commensurate benefits to sign on. I hope we can start working together soon doing [kickass thing you're kickass at]."

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

My current boss is losing half his team. I was up for either a promotion on the team I’m on or a move to another position on another team.

I didn’t get the same-team promotion (it was always going to go to one person who is a great individual contributor, but not a leader), and surprise surprise my boss’ bossX2 was a little surprised that I was taking the other role (vs staying where I am).

I had my facts and data in order, and when the SVP asked about risk tolerance I was able to point out exactly why staying in current job was actually more risky than changing roles and since he didn’t advance me to management to help my current team, I was going to go for the new opportunity.

I knew my BATNA, I knew my options, and I am ending up in a pretty great position without burning any bridges.

Meanwhile current boss is kind of making GBS threads bricks because everyone is leaving his team.

BallsBallsBalls
Jun 2, 2017
I should be looking at getting an offer letter at some point this coming week for a new position that I had applied and interviewed for. I'm in a unique situation in that I come with my own health insurance that will undoubtedly be better and cheaper than anything this small-ish company can offer. When it comes down to negotiating the salary, should I leverage this? And if so, what's the best way to do it?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

BallsBallsBalls posted:

I should be looking at getting an offer letter at some point this coming week for a new position that I had applied and interviewed for. I'm in a unique situation in that I come with my own health insurance that will undoubtedly be better and cheaper than anything this small-ish company can offer. When it comes down to negotiating the salary, should I leverage this? And if so, what's the best way to do it?

You can try. But you can also say "I don't need health insurance" and then take it or take it in the open enrollment. I would never consider that as a chip to trade as a hiring manager.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

spwrozek posted:

You can try. But you can also say "I don't need health insurance" and then take it or take it in the open enrollment. I would never consider that as a chip to trade as a hiring manager.

Agree 100%, and also making not using health insurance a term of negotiation would probably be no-no'd by HR.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If it's a real small company they may like that but otherwise whether or not the employee has health coverage doesn't come out of the hiring director's department budget but salary does so they won't really care.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

All that assumes that the employer even contributes to health insurance premiums, which they may not.

If you don't represent an incremental cost to the employer's health insurance program, you bringing your own insurance is a non-value to the employer.

Badgerpoo
Oct 12, 2010
I have just received an offer for a new job that I'm pretty excited about. It is at this time an informal offer pending some internal process which is apparently routine. How should I approach negotiating this? For ref I'm in the UK but this is a large international tech company. They are currently offering £58k which is already a big bump in my current pay. My BATNA is relatively strong as I am more than comfortable where I am, but I am very excited about the new opportunity and don't want to mess this up. I have so far spoken to the HR rep when she phoned through the initial offer which I have not yet accepted. Should I ask to speak to her again to negotiate, if so how should I word this?

My thoughts:
Use this offer to get a counter offer at my current position and use that for leverage (not intending to accept any counter at this point).
Approach it where I emphasise I am excited about the opportunity but can they increase the offer - uncertain on how to word this

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

All that assumes that the employer even contributes to health insurance premiums, which they may not.

If you don't represent an incremental cost to the employer's health insurance program, you bringing your own insurance is a non-value to the employer.

This is true and many people don’t know. I was bitten by this once. Never again.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Badgerpoo posted:

I have just received an offer for a new job that I'm pretty excited about. It is at this time an informal offer pending some internal process which is apparently routine. How should I approach negotiating this? For ref I'm in the UK but this is a large international tech company. They are currently offering £58k which is already a big bump in my current pay. My BATNA is relatively strong as I am more than comfortable where I am, but I am very excited about the new opportunity and don't want to mess this up. I have so far spoken to the HR rep when she phoned through the initial offer which I have not yet accepted. Should I ask to speak to her again to negotiate, if so how should I word this?

My thoughts:
Use this offer to get a counter offer at my current position and use that for leverage (not intending to accept any counter at this point).
Approach it where I emphasise I am excited about the opportunity but can they increase the offer - uncertain on how to word this

If you want the new job, negotiate and take it. If you ty to take the offer and turn it into more money where you are now, prepare to not have a job. As soon as your current place know you are looking, they will prepare for your departure. Sure, they might give you a little more money, but then you will see other people starting to pass you in many ways as you are left behind and eventually leave or get pushed out.

Most places I have worked have had a “no save” policy. Meaning if someone wants to leave, let the, go. Everyone I have ever “saved” has still been gone within six months of the “save” when someone had an offer someplace else.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ask a Manager has a great letter today from a person who negotiated their initial job offer compared to their peers. It's a perfect example of why you should always negotiate.

(emphasis mine)

Ask a Managaer posted:

Five years ago, I was hired in an entry-level role. During the initial employment offer, the company offered their base salary for a starting amount. Since I did my homework on the average salary of the role in this area, I countered with a number closer to the average. The company agreed and I began my job.

After four promotions in five years, I’ve grown in my roles and compensation. Between high turnover and firm growth, my coworkers have similarly risen through the ranks as I have — we all started within a year of each other. Two are now managers, one two levels above me.

Then The Bomb went off — a manager printed a budget document and forget to collect it before others noticed. This form contained salary info on my department peers and clearly showed I’m now the highest paid member of the team. Working backwards, it’s likely that as fresh grads my coworkers never negotiated their starting salary — and after half a decade of collective career advancement, what was a few thousand dollars difference five years ago has now magnified.

There’s a perceptible social distance between us all now, what with me taking home $10,000 per year more than the next highest paid coworker in the department ( who’s a manager two layers above me!). Obviously I’m not responsible for the pay scales and compensation policy of my employer, but short of taking a $10,000 pay cut I’m not sure how I can repair the sudden social distance this new information created. Before this revelation, we were a tight functional team.

I don’t wish to make an obviously sensitive topic worse by appearing patronizing, entitled, or insensitive. Viewing it from their perspective, I can understand why they’d see it as profoundly unfair they’re doing more work than me for far less money. How do I repair this social rift?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I'm in the interview process for a role that's adjacent to my profession and I'm wondering whether I should consider a drop in compensation in the absence of an expectation to study for a credential with my free time?

Might be part of that conversation when we get to that page at least, there are other things I'll need to ask about in the next round of interviews (ie if I decide I want to continue studying will I be allowed into the student program) but if anyone has anything to point out I'm all ears.

I was talking to the hiring manager and he got the first of two credentials in my field before switching to his current role so he'll have a solid understanding of What I'm balancing

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hoshi posted:

I'm in the interview process for a role that's adjacent to my profession and I'm wondering whether I should consider a drop in compensation in the absence of an expectation to study for a credential with my free time?

Might be part of that conversation when we get to that page at least, there are other things I'll need to ask about in the next round of interviews (ie if I decide I want to continue studying will I be allowed into the student program) but if anyone has anything to point out I'm all ears.

I was talking to the hiring manager and he got the first of two credentials in my field before switching to his current role so he'll have a solid understanding of What I'm balancing
The drop in compensation will haunt you for the rest of your employment at that place. Don't do it. People who make less are perceived as being less valuable, and that bias persists.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Dik Hz posted:

The drop in compensation will haunt you for the rest of your employment at that place. Don't do it. People who make less are perceived as being less valuable, and that bias persists.

Thinking about it not, I don't think I would move for less compensation (including my bonus) so what I need to figure out now is how much more I need to leave the good deal I know I got goin for an unknown

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dik Hz posted:

Ask a Manager has a great letter today from a person who negotiated their initial job offer compared to their peers. It's a perfect example of why you should always negotiate.

(emphasis mine)

Sure fine story and all and could those other people for more out of school? Apparently yes. I will say what was their situation though? Did they have parents as a back up? Another job offer? Savings? They might have needed a job. I think the real point is change places to get real raises.

Also you are not the same as your peers. I have two guys that were about at the same pay, same grade, one just got 3.3% and the other 1.5% raise based on merit. I love when people know what everyone makes. You can see where you are and how you are valued, if you think it is crap then you leave. Rare thing though.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

spwrozek posted:

Sure fine story and all and could those other people for more out of school? Apparently yes. I will say what was their situation though? Did they have parents as a back up? Another job offer? Savings? They might have needed a job. I think the real point is change places to get real raises.
In the company's eyes, they were all the same. And the got 4/5 employees at a discount because those employees were too chickenshit to negotiate.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

He actually doesn't know that. In the article it says it is "likely they didn't negotiate". It is very possible he has better bosses for award good work.

When we go through raises each year I see all my peers numbers (12 of us) that they give out. Budget was about 2.4% thus year. Some of them "differentiate" by having a spread of 2.2% to 2.6%. my spread this year was 1.2% to 4.6%.

I agree negotiate, especially if you have a batna. Most of the time you don't out of school though. And who you work for from there matters, also matters that you do good work.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Dik Hz posted:

Only time to even consider a drop in an element of compensation is if the overall package is larger (for example by having a new variable component).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I have found myself in an odd position. I got a call back for a job that I had written off as not being selected. What could this mean? We left off by dipping our toes into negotiations but I never agreed to anything, just said that "doesn't sound bad." I'm having trouble getting a clear read on the job though as the posting has two different titles and they weren't explicit during the interview. The number they mentioned last time is low for one job but high for the other, so my question is should I ask for clarity or negotiate like it's the higher paid job?