Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

LingcodKilla posted:

I’ve talked to a lot of US vets and yes they were mad about having to leave home to deal with German bastards that their fathers and uncles had to deal with so recently.

This bit also can't be understated. When you look at things that people thought were wrong with Germany in the '39-44 framework "Prussian militarism" floats to the top of the pile really loving fast. You see it among normal soldiers with the general sentiment that "gently caress we're doing this again?" and at the level of policy makers with these big thinkpiece articles about what the gently caress is wrong with Germany that they started* two wars of unprecedented scale inside twenty five years.

I had to read a lot of things like that at one point. You see publications like The Economist talking about how hosed up Prussian militarism is and how badly it's hosed Europe and you also have internal papers written by the people planning post-war occupation saying the same thing. Frankly antisemitism barely even gets a mention in all of that. Most people at the time looked at things like Nazi racial laws ca. 1939 about the same way they looked at Jim Crow bullshit in the American south: maybe ugly if you were a liberal academic and thought Jews were people too, but not really all that notable and certainly not a threat that needed an international response.

*Germany being the aggressor in WW1 was pretty much the assumed fact in the 40s. This ping pongs around a lot in the historiography, but for a person writing policy papers in 1943 it's a self evident truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

"Prussian militarism"
and for this reason the allies literally erased the name of that kingdom after the war.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In the book, Erich talks about how green troops don't understand what it means to hate the enemy. He hates the English because he's witnessed them bombing a hospital and torturing prisoners, but he doesn't hate the Americans, and his guards don't hate him because they haven't seen combat. Corporal Nakamoto hates the Italians because his friends died and he was injured in Italy, but he doesn't mind the Germans either. If you asked individual American troops at Omaha beach why they hate the Nazis you'd get many individual reasons, but I'd be surprised if any Christian soldier had anti-Semitism at the top of his list.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I don't get what this discussion is about. Soldiers are supposed to hate the enemy. Not only are they trying to kill you, your propaganda also dehumanizes them in every possible way. Why wouldn't you be mad at those bastards???

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah i find it very hard to believe that the German POWs didn't comprehend how their enemies could be mad at them. i am certainly not saying that allied soldiers werent mad as hell at germans. i just really question the narrative of:

allied troops: uniquely mad at germans because of holocaust
german pow: man those guys were like real mad idk why
<sees concentration camp liberation videos from 1945>
german pow: oh man thats why they were so mad we totally deserved it!

I mean, if you take on the assumptions that 1) the average German soldier probably wasn't all that different from you, or I, or the average Allied soldier, and 2) that he didn't have much if any idea about the full depth and horror of the Holocaust, this seems like a plausible scenario to me.

This isn't to say that there weren't a whole lot of Germans who were either complicit in or active perpetrators of the Holocaust and supporting activities, but I can certainly see how there'd be a segment of them that these assumptions would apply to.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

I don't get what this discussion is about. Soldiers are supposed to hate the enemy. Not only are they trying to kill you, your propaganda also dehumanizes them in every possible way. Why wouldn't you be mad at those bastards???
in my period they don't, i have never seen it

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

HEY GUNS posted:

in my period they don't, i have never seen it

In your period, the soldiers don't hate each other, they hate the peasants and the peasants hate them, regardless of which side they're on.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Speaking of blind hatred, I just watched 1917, and boy the Germans seemed really despicable in that movie. Especially what the pilot does, yeesh.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bewbies posted:

I mean, if you take on the assumptions that 1) the average German soldier probably wasn't all that different from you, or I, or the average Allied soldier, and 2) that he didn't have much if any idea about the full depth and horror of the Holocaust, this seems like a plausible scenario to me.

This isn't to say that there weren't a whole lot of Germans who were either complicit in or active perpetrators of the Holocaust and supporting activities, but I can certainly see how there'd be a segment of them that these assumptions would apply to.

i feel like i'm not making sense here or not being clear or something

the original assertion was that allied troops, pre liberation of the camps, were angry at the Germans because of various atrocities, and that the German POWs did not understand why the allied troops were mad at them. and then once the Germans POWs saw what they had done through exposure to US newsreels, they understood why the Allied troops had been so angry. this makes absolutely no sense to me.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the original assertion was that allied troops, pre liberation of the camps, were angry at the Germans because of various atrocities, and that the German POWs did not understand why the allied troops were mad at them. and then once the Germans POWs saw what they had done through exposure to US newsreels, they understood why the Allied troops had been so angry. this makes absolutely no sense to me.

Which part of this specifically makes no sense?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

sullat posted:

In your period, the soldiers don't hate each other, they hate the peasants and the peasants hate them, regardless of which side they're on.
not always. if someone you spend two years living with isn't necessarily your friend, he sure isn't a stranger.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Speaking of blind hatred, I just watched 1917, and boy the Germans seemed really despicable in that movie. Especially what the pilot does, yeesh.

Trauma from crash landing a burning plane and nearly dying does things to the brain, my guy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Which part of this specifically makes no sense?

how would the allied soldiers be mad about something they had no knowledge of

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

People's subjective perception of the experiences they lived through does not always match reality. He did not read their minds to know what they were actually mad about, but this was the narrative he constructed out of those experiences.

I'm not asserting that allied soldiers were actually well informed of the camps.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how would the allied soldiers be mad about something they had no knowledge of

The German guy thought the Allies were mad at Germany, not really necessarily understanding the character of allied resistance or its motivation. I don't really know what German propaganda taught Germans about the Western allies, maybe that had something to do with it.

If somebody fights a war with you for 6 years and launches a massive amphibious invasion to destroy you, you might understand this as "being mad at your country", if you aren't very good at politics.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Trauma from crash landing a burning plane and nearly dying does things to the brain, my guy.

That's a possibility that isn't explored in the film, and the greater portrayal of the Germans is a bunch of faceless demons who live in a burning pit and are unflinchingly hostile.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Leaving aside their racial policy for the moment entirely, a guy coming ashore in his cowboy hat in '44 would know about the Germans starting a second massive war within 25 years, crushing Poland and splitting it with Stalin, crushing France and leaving it squirming on a spike, bombing the poo poo out of London (from where Pvt. Cowboy would likely be coming), turning around to invade Russia, sundry southeastern European horrors, and for a topper, adventures in North Africa and more recently Italy. Even before the horrors of the Holocaust and the German treatment of Russian civilians/POWs outside of that gets involved, this is a lot.

Some random Fritz, especially one who gets captured in North Africa or off of a leaky U-Boat, will probably not really be aware of the full spectrum of all of this. Which in and of itself would be enough to give the Americans and British a mad-on. He then finds out that those prison camps where Hitler was owning the libs turned out to be torture and murder ranches complete with things like trenches of dead. Oh, he then thinks: So this is why.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I don't really know what German propaganda taught Germans about the Western allies, maybe that had something to do with it.

Nazi propaganda said that they were simply restoring the German nation to its rightful borders by reclaiming Lothringen, Austria, and the German-speaking parts of Czechoslovakia. Treacherous Western bankers (understood to be backed by Jews) were afraid of the power of a unified Germany, so they attacked, but the Germans had been freed of impure influences and bravely struck back against their international oppressors. The Nazis portrayed themselves as a force for justice, not as aggressors. A typical German believed all of this, and wasn't given any information to the contrary. Some of the high-ranking Nazis believed their own lies, which leads to things like "kick in the door and the whole [Soviet Union] collapses."

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

P-Mack posted:

This reminds me of some German prisoner accounts which had as a recurring theme that they just couldn't understand why the British and Americans who stormed the beaches and took them prisoner were so damned angry at their Aryan cousins.

Until the guards put on a newsreel from the camps. The mess hall makes a full dinner that night that not one of the prisoners touch and there's finally realization of "Oh. Because we deserve it."

Were the allies mad because they had time machines?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

You could travel back in time to read the last dozen posts.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So is it obnoxious if I say "oh yeah?! Well **I've** written a blog post about this too!

Or is this what Academia is, sorta

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Historiography is basically a forum thread only each post is an article and you have effort posts (aka “books”) sprinkled in. Once in a while two people get salty and get into a slap fight and that’s when you have a historical controversy good enough to merit its own Wikipedia page, like the historikerstreit or the Fischer controversy. The main difference is that it takes place over decades not a weekend.

Once I a blue moon someone gets prosecuted by the French Government for Holocaust denial which I guess is kinda like a perma.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cyrano4747 posted:

the historikerstreit or the Fischer controversy.

If you wanted to write more about these or give recommendations I'd love to read them.

I got as far into Fischer's wiki page where he blamed Nazism on... *double checks notes cause it's insane* the Lutherans???? And I knew I needed a lot more context to wrap my head around this crazy.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ChubbyChecker posted:

Yuri was far better than a chronotrooper, that's for sure.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I got a weird question that's bouncing around my brain, I swear the original quote from.... Someone I think Early Modern was "Kerls, wollt ihr immer leben?" that later morphed into, you know, this thing plus various other forms that have been found. I randomly wanted to check this cause I have brain spiders, and the closest I can find is Frederick the Great saying, "Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben". Anyone know what I'm talking about or is this the first sign of my inevitable stroke?

(Non-German speakers, they're "You [bastards]*, want to always live?" and "You dogs, do you want to live forever?" Or close enough. I hate translating cause it never gets the nuance.)

Also just cause you all might like the most extremely German idiom ever that this reminded me of : "Nach der Schlacht, zahl die Koerper" (After the battle, count the bodies). It's the equivalent of "don't count your chickens before they're hatched".

*Jerks? I don't know how to translate "Kerl". It's slightly offensive but also the kind of thing you might call a friend. Think like the kind of thing where you'd lightly punch a friend in the arm and call them an rear end in a top hat, I guess.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Translated like old-timey English "churl" or different?

Same root, I guess, along with Afrikaans "kerel"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

It's the same root but I still can't think of a good one-to-one analogue with English. And "churl" basically is a dead word.

It'd be kind of rude to say to a stranger but if you knew someone it could have a kind of a gruff sign of friendship. Maybe like a (severely less strong) form of how some British English speakers use "oval office"? Like if I called some rando that they'd probably get mad at me, but if I called a friend that it'd be a sign we're close rar rar you rear end in a top hat rar butt-slapping all around ha ha football rar.

This is why I hate translation.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
It's probably related to karls, the most despicable part of your clan.

they probably want you to gently caress with the ducks

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yes. It's in the link I just posted.

But good King of Dragon Pass reference.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

And yet, the protagonist does an equally despicable thing later on

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

That's a possibility that isn't explored in the film, and the greater portrayal of the Germans is a bunch of faceless demons who live in a burning pit and are unflinchingly hostile.

War makes people behave in unpleasant ways OP.

Its not the christmas truce of 1914, its the nadir of the war, everyone is cold, traumatised, likely hungry or starving if German and have lived through gas attacks, relentless shelling and seen maybe half their mates killed or wounded and constant demonisation of the enemy by propaganda. Hostility is the baseline and people will do quite a lot to survive if they think they are about to or are about to die or be killed.

Polyakov fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 12, 2020

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Xiahou Dun posted:

*Jerks? I don't know how to translate "Kerl". It's slightly offensive but also the kind of thing you might call a friend. Think like the kind of thing where you'd lightly punch a friend in the arm and call them an rear end in a top hat, I guess.
my guys call themselves/each other "rechtschaffene kerlis" and i translate that as "righteous guys"

this is also the word the guy who nearly killed pappenheim at white mountain used for "hey you! you have good pants, you've got to die"

guy, dude, bro. Hey man.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
In the scandi languages, 'karl' is just a signifier meaning you're a dude, or possibly of the unlanded worker class. In German it's also mostly 'dude'.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah exactly. But without context if you just call a dude a Kerl he’ll think you’re mocking him.

“Bro”?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/MykeCole/status/1227294561426427907?s=19

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

WH Auden posted:

Through art we are able to break bread with the dead, and without communion with the dead a fully human life is impossible.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
I use the Dutch "kerel" similary both ironically and unironically. Can be used both with exaggerated rural farmer or posh fraternity student accent for opposite effect. Dictionary lists bloke and lad as english translations, which seems about right to me.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i have compassion for the guys i study, but i do not speak for their interests

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hobedierie, Kerl. Was is'enn los?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
1917 pointedly does not comment on the morality of the Germans, but it does comment on some things. The character who dies trying to rescue the pilot is described as good, courageous, and his act is not regretted at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Meanwhile in the American tradition that line is pretty much universally delivered with "sons of bitches" or similar, most notably by Dan Daly in WWI. Somehow this was not when he got either of his medals of honor.

The pre-WWII US loved getting into situations that gave dudes medals when doing a colonialism.