Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ZearothK posted:

Is Wolcen going to increase in price once it is out of Early Access?

I'm just now hearing about this game, is it any good? How does it compare to the other suspects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

no one knows if its any good since only the first act of the game is playable

Orv
May 4, 2011
People have been talking about it off and on if you wanna read back but the main thoughts seem to be that the combat is good, it has some good ideas on the ARPG formula but it might also have some potential pain points like respecs or other QoL. People who have it will know more soon with the release patch.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Mordja posted:

You know, videogames really need to do better with the whole "woe is me, I've lost my humanity by gaining these sick magic powers and edgy body-mods" and just loving go all out. I'm talking real body-horror and/or mental dissolution stuff.

I would 100% buy a Prophet Revival game no matter how terrible it was.

E: Well, poo poo

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 12, 2020

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can't stop seeing the name "Wolcen" without immediately translating it as some weird reddit sex thing

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Alright you jerks I'm doing it. I'm giving Prey a chance.

Started it once before but fell off 30 minutes in.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Orv posted:

People have been talking about it off and on if you wanna read back but the main thoughts seem to be that the combat is good, it has some good ideas on the ARPG formula but it might also have some potential pain points like respecs or other QoL. People who have it will know more soon with the release patch.

Ah got it, I guess I missed or skimmed when it was brought up before. Maybe I'll pick it up for pre-release price and sit on it for a bit for release-patch and refund it if it seems like a mess.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xaris posted:

Ah got it, I guess I missed or skimmed when it was brought up before. Maybe I'll pick it up for pre-release price and sit on it for a bit for release-patch and refund it if it seems like a mess.

Check when the dates for that are, since the refund window is two weeks, just to be sure.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Orv posted:

Check when the dates for that are, since the refund window is two weeks, just to be sure.

Steam says Release Feb 13th, or Thursday, so yeah not far off.

e: Went ahead and grabbed it because $15 savings is substantial, and so I don't forget. I'll check into it Friday and refund it if it's still a mess adn check back in a year from now. i do have ARPG cravings rn but everything else I've already played too much.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 12, 2020

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

PantsBandit posted:

Alright you jerks I'm doing it. I'm giving Prey a chance.

Started it once before but fell off 30 minutes in.

The game will tell you there's a cost to using Typhon powers. The cost is almost 0. Those powers are cool, and you're cheating yourself if you don't use them.

Also, try not to shoot any glass floors; the game remembers certain types of damage, so that glass will be permanently cracked, even if you leave that zone and come back.

Otherwise, play blind.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Volte posted:

Is there going to be a massive patch for the Wolcen release or something, because I bought it last week and there are literally "insert cinematic here" title cards, and you can't open the map overlay in the overworld because apparently that hasn't been implemented yet? It feels more like an alpha than something that's going into final release the day after tomorrow.

I'd like to know this as well; I've been eyeing it for a bit and would like to buy it before the price goes up, but if it's gonna be one of those "It's not EA (but it totally is)" launches where you have to wait a year to get the full thing I'm gonna be pissed.

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'd like to know this as well; I've been eyeing it for a bit and would like to buy it before the price goes up, but if it's gonna be one of those "It's not EA (but it totally is)" launches where you have to wait a year to get the full thing I'm gonna be pissed.

Well, you could look at their Trello page if you wanted to get in depth - https://trello.com/b/OtdXj2DH/beta-roadmap-game-advancement - It seems to me that they have 3 acts done and that is what seems to be planned for release. The first act is like 4 hours long or so, so like 12 hours of narrative, then some post game stuff. I've watched a couple of recent streams of it and it looks much better than it did just a few months ago, but it's still a big question whether the release will be good or not. It seems like they have a full game based on their roadmap, but who knows?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Krazyface posted:

The game will tell you there's a cost to using Typhon powers. The cost is almost 0. Those powers are cool, and you're cheating yourself if you don't use them.

Yeah Arkane has a tendency to put in paths that use fewer abilities with no real gameplay payoff. I always just use everything I can my first playthrough.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

Since CK2 went F2P a while back and Paradox gave away one of the Goon-approved DLCs for signing up for the CK3 newsletter, I'm getting the itch to try out my first Paradox game. Are all of their games relatively the same except Europa Universalis is colonial times, Hearts of Iron is WW2 era, and Stellaris is space sci-fi? What are the major differences and is your enjoyment largely going to depend on what era you find more interesting?

So. Kinda no to a lot of these questions.

Each game is fairly different. CK2 is a character driven almost visual novel with light mappaint. EU4 is a wargame entirely built around conquest/diplomacy. Stellaris is a pretty traditional 4x. HoI4 is almost survival horror/RTS as you know what's about to happen, and need to prep for it.

Liking the time period helps a lot, yes.

Easiest to get into is technically Ck2 if you understand you don't need to conquer to win. If you try it's one of the harder ones.

Next easiest is probably HoI4, followed by Stellaris. Eu4 is the hardest, and also the most grognardy.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is Lords of the Fallen worth grabbing on deep discount? I keep hearing it described as an absurdly eurojank-y souls ripoff, but I'm unclear whether that means flawed-but-fun janky, or deadly premonition janky.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

One of the devs had like facebook connections to a local group of nationalists, and their second game was a turret simulator which they specifically said was in response to 'things happening in the world right now' where you defended "Europe" against waves of ISIS invaders.

Which also has white nationalism referencing achievements and went on a celebratory sale for Hitler's birthday...

Orv
May 4, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Is Lords of the Fallen worth grabbing on deep discount? I keep hearing it described as an absurdly eurojank-y souls ripoff, but I'm unclear whether that means flawed-but-fun janky, or deadly premonition janky.

Flawed-but-not-fun.

It has some ideas and bits and pieces of it are good but by and large it is one of those Souls-like made by people who are fans of Souls but do not understand the actual design principles of Souls. They've since done much better in Surge 2 but LotF is entirely skippable.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Wolcen's currently the number one selling game on Steam, which I assume means some streamer was given it early, because that's apparently how things work these days, so if you can find that you might be able to see how it's looking?

E: Speaking of, here's their launch trailer fwiw, which I assume shows stuff from later acts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mreqjgIJVxA

Mordja fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 12, 2020

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Orv posted:

Flawed-but-not-fun.

It has some ideas and bits and pieces of it are good but by and large it is one of those Souls-like made by people who are fans of Souls but do not understand the actual design principles of Souls. They've since done much better in Surge 2 but LotF is entirely skippable.

Cool, thanks- good to know I'm not missing anything! :)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

all the streamers ive seen have been playing the act 1 only early access version

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Wolcen has been sitting on my wish list for years... Oh what's that? I bought it in 2018 and forgot?

Guess it's time to finally play it!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Cool, thanks- good to know I'm not missing anything! :)

And I'll challenge him and say it's totally fine.

It's absurdly easy, but it's got the atmosphere and setup you want from a Souls. I enjoyed it for the 24 hours or so it took to beat it, and even went back a second time.

It's got some neat mechanics like beating bosses in certain harder ways gets you better loot.

Is it the next Souls? No, but people weirdly tell people never to touch it when it's fine. If you like Souls it's another one of those games for pretty cheap.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think LotF got a lot more poo poo than it deserved when it came out as basically the first Souls clone out of the gate but now that others have come out and are actually good it's not worth playing.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Orv posted:

I think LotF got a lot more poo poo than it deserved when it came out as basically the first Souls clone out of the gate but now that others have come out and are actually good it's not worth playing.

But it should be noted that unlike some devs (see, the Souls team themselves), every single time those dudes gently caress up, they learn in the next release. Go look at LOTF vs The Surge 1 sometime and realize "oh poo poo, wow"

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if you have a backlog of actually good games, lords of the fallen simply is not worth the time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Awesome! posted:

if you have a backlog of actually good games, lords of the fallen simply is not worth the time.

On the subject of backlogs and good games, I've never heard a bad word about Okami and it seems like a great deal for $10.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Division 2 is an amazing game you can get for 3 dollars.

I spent this many hours on it

Get it.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

pentyne posted:

On the subject of backlogs and good games, I've never heard a bad word about Okami and it seems like a great deal for $10.

It's also one of this month's Humble games, so there should be plenty of cheap keys around or check to see if you want two of the other games for +$5 (or 8 for +$10).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

pentyne posted:

If you're a completionist some of the endgame sidequests will frustrate you pretty badly. That's the worst I've got.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Morter posted:

Division 2 is an amazing game you can get for 3 dollars.

I spent this many hours on it

Get it.

where's this gone since launch, anyway? i beat the main campaign or whatever shortly after launch then lost interest shortly after the invasion stuff popped up

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Uplay must be getting hammered, I can't even download the installer.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Ciaphas posted:

where's this gone since launch, anyway? i beat the main campaign or whatever shortly after launch then lost interest shortly after the invasion stuff popped up

World Tier 5, recalibrations, targeted loot. A lot of stuff. Too much to list. And they're making it a lot better next month--even if you don't get the expansion.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

pentyne posted:

I've bought Okami like five times and never regretted it.

It's the best Zelda game not made by Nintendo.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The main campaign and sidequests of Division 2 are like 35-45 hours of very solid RPG shooter gameplay after which if you have absolutely no interest in any kind of the MP aspects you can totally drop the game without any real loss. Especially as a co-op game for up to 4 it's a solid piece of stuff for $3.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

As frustrating as Steam can be, nothing like getting a game on another storefront to help realize how much they get right. Division 2 is downloading at an okay rate (10MB/s, ETA about an hour) but all the rest of my internet slows to a crawl while doing so. Steam must run their DLs at a low priority, because I can install things on there and not even notice a bump in whatever browsing I'm doing. I had to pause the Uplay DL just to post this.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Hmm. Maybe I don't need to buy The Division 2. You almost had me, Ubisoft.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Void Destroyer 2 has been out for a few days. Is anyone playing? It's a cel-shaded pocket-sized space sim.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/369530/Void_Destroyer_2/

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
People weren't joking about how bad the voice acting in Operencia: The Stolen Sun is. Really fun game so far, has a few neat convenience features that I wish more games did, but woo man. It's not quite Chaos Wars bad, but it's close.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Bruceski posted:

As frustrating as Steam can be, nothing like getting a game on another storefront to help realize how much they get right. Division 2 is downloading at an okay rate (10MB/s, ETA about an hour) but all the rest of my internet slows to a crawl while doing so. Steam must run their DLs at a low priority, because I can install things on there and not even notice a bump in whatever browsing I'm doing. I had to pause the Uplay DL just to post this.

Steam hogs my line completely unless I limit it. And at least according to Steam it's utilizing the last bit of the line while EGS f.e. is always ~1Mbit below absolute max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I've never had any problems with Steam or UPlay hogging my internet, though both don't play as nice with my desktop as they do my laptop. On there they'll both peak at 25 MB/s, just like my laptop, but average 10MB/s. My laptop just stays at 25 MB/s the whole time. Gonna try doing a ethernet cable to my desktop and see if that fixes things.