Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Meinberg posted:

I have gazed deep into the abyss that is CATS, and the abyss has stared back at me. Yeah, I have gained enlightenment but at what cost?

Anyway, check out this ttrpg that is legally distinct from CATS and any associated ip protections that I made and that draws inspiration from Bloodborne, Silent Hill 2, the works of David Lynch, and (just to be classic) TS Eliot's "The Hollow Men."

I have a month left of hell nightmare studying and I've been dying to get back to table top. I will absolutely buy this come March.

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Tellin you this is CIA poo poo.

MayoPete has shown as that CIA poo poo has no imagination and can't even succeed at failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I will bet anybody that there will be a parody movie in the Scary Movie vein, called DOGS

It'll surely include parodies of other movies too ofc but I feel pretty good about this prediction

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

The upcoming Cats Blu-Ray on Amazon currently has 42 customer reviews and an average rating of 3.1/5 stars.

37% of reviewers gave it 1 star.

41% of reviewers gave it 5 stars.

All is as it should be.

EDIT: Ooh, there are Special Features!

Special Features posted:

9 Lives: The Cast of Cats
Singing Live
Making Macavity
A Director's Journey
Making Music
The Art of Dance
Scaling Up
A Little Magic
The Dancers
Cat School
Feature Commentary with Director Tom Hooper
The Art of Dance

Indie Rocktopus fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 10, 2020

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oh boy, these two aren’t stopping with the Cats mockery. It was probably sold to them as an Oscar contender so they’re getting some revenge.

https://mobile.twitter.com/VFXSociety/status/1226708675680559104?s=20

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Yeah this was how I found out Parasite won best pic, just wonderful

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That seems surprisingly cheeky given the Cats musical is famously despised by critics.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Ccs posted:

Oh boy, these two aren’t stopping with the Cats mockery. It was probably sold to them as an Oscar contender so they’re getting some revenge.

https://mobile.twitter.com/VFXSociety/status/1226708675680559104?s=20

this dumb one-off costume they put on for the oscars literally looks better than the expensive cg wax wing monstrosity they attempted for the real movie.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://twitter.com/emamma_mia/status/1226657371172286464?s=19

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

piratepilates posted:

this dumb one-off costume they put on for the oscars literally looks better than the expensive cg wax wing monstrosity they attempted for the real movie.

They should have at least fully committed to the weird horny. The fact they CGI'd out the male actors' bulges is some lame rear end poo poo. They didn't flatten the ladies' breasts!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

We're never getting those gang tags are we :(

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I just re-watched the 1998 musical, and like, Macavity definitely dies during it.

Not sure how common this theory is but it holds up. Macavity isn't just touching two wires together to make a blackout and daring escape. He's zapping himself because he longs for death. The Jellicle Cult won't let him leave imprisonment, ever since they started using him as the movement's designated scapegoat for literally every crime -- from cheating at cards to crimes worthy of Scotland Yard -- even though they openly admit that he wasn't present at a single crime and left no evidence. The brainwashed Jellicles truly believe that Macavity escapes containment every night undetectably to do subversive acts against the cult, which the cult explains away its own failures with.

The prisoner finally hatches a plan to escape using a fake Old Deuteronomy costume. (Old Deuteronomy is not the leader but the cult spokesman, by the way; Munkustrap is clearly the cult leader since the cat orgy is for him. He's the recruiter, enforcer, and narrative-spinner for the Jellicles.)

The escapee gets beaten up by an outraged and fiercely threatening Munkustrap, then gets completely surrounded by the other cats, to whom he appears as a bloodied monster (due to the prison's poor conditions and their own delusion). Having exhausted all other options, desperate to end his misery and imprisonment, he elects to head for the electric wires.

e: Rum Tum Tugger must be the Tom Cruise of the cult.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 11, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Grizzabella also dies, of course, but as that video posted below points out, it's not arbitrary. They kill her off because she demonstrated a will to leave before, and is likely a danger to the cult's cohesion.

With Macavity being fake and all, there's no real threat against a Jellicle who leaves, besides ostracism. So that's their tool to make Grizz come back. The Jellices ostracize her until the sense of guilt and shame drives her mad, convinces her of having a monstrous appearance, and drains her of confidence to dance. She comes crawling back to the Jellicle Cult to make amends for her "mistake."

Cult policy is to use these moments as an opportunity to teach the others. Munkustrap prefers the carrot to the stick, always dangling the prize of the Heaviside Layer that "one cat ONLY" will get to see. Cats who go to the Heaviside Layer certainly die. But the prize of reincarnation is real, at least to the Jellicles. That's where Old Deuteronomy comes in, the teddy-bear-like cult spokesman and public-facing leader (in name only). For though he is not the true top of the chain, Old Deuteronomy still reaps rewards from his status in his decline. His philosophical musings are his purpose -- they keep the promise of reincarnation on everyone's mind, and the fear of death at bay -- he reassures them that their "moments of happiness" gain extra meaning in death from the next generation of reincarnates' experience.

Conveniently enough, by convincing the cats to unknowingly seek suicide via the Heavicide layer the cult can easily get rid of the problem cats, all the while convincing the cult that a beautiful act of grace and forgiveness has occurred that they can all aspire to get someday. With one fewer dissident cat, the cult finishes its compaction cycle and hardens itself.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 13, 2020

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Macavity doesn't die because Macavity isn't 1) alive or 2) a cat. Okay, Macavity's whole thing is that he's just a really weird reference to Professor Moriarty. They're both described as tall, thin, having a domed head and sunken eyes. Also, both have been called 'the Napoleon of Crime'. The thing is, Moriarty as written in the original Sherlock Holmes stories barely exists. He was invented for a single story, and his purpose in that story was to 1) be the master criminal who is the previously unseen source of all crime, 2) kill Sherlock Holmes, and 3) die in the process. Arthur Conan Doyle wanted to stop writing Holmes and thought that Moriarty would be enough of a 'final challenge' to do it. It didn't work Moriarty makes no further appearances in the series (being dead) and was not present in the earlier works (not having been invented yet) and thus I propose that Moriarty isn't a person but rather a literary device.

Macavity takes the conceptual framework of Moriarty (both a master criminal and a device) but filtered through the fantastical nature of poetry and theater, and in this way the Criminal becomes Crime. Macavity is Crime, he is the very spirit of law breaking and strife that, from time to time, has taken the shape of a cat. Thus he has a similar role-- he 1) breaks every human law 2) becomes and antagonisy for the Jellicle Tribe to stand against and 3) dies. This of course is why, at the scene of the crime, Macavity isn't there. Because he never was. He's an infection, and idea, and that's why his song and fight has this almost compulsive, mind-control quality to it and why his power is finally broken with the catchiest song-and-dance routine they have (second catchiest, but they already sang Skimbleshanks, y'know?)

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
macavity dies every morning, and returns to life at sundown

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hallelujah posted:

Hell, same.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hallelujah posted:

the dream...

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

You guys have the cult thing all wrong. The Jellicle rebirth is absolutely real, and we see it happen in the film. The key is that this rebirth does not mean transcendence to a higher plane of existence. We are specifically told the the soul is reborn into a new "Jellicle life."

Consider Grizabella:

The "fallen woman" stock character, if permitted redemption and rebirth, might very well choose to return in the role of the ingenue.

Her faded grey coat, signifying sin and decrepitude, might very well be cast away for one of purest white.

Thus Grizabella's "rebirth" is revealed as a cruel joke, a wish granted by a monkey's paw - she remains trapped in the closed spacetime cycle of Jellicle London, her suffering compounded as her bifurcated self becomes both actor and audience of her manifold damnation - because every time she ends the cycle, every time she approaches the Heavyside Layer, she is instead cast down like garbage into the trash-strewn alleys of Jellicle Hell, to meet herself and sing to herself and chain herself once more to that rising chandelier.

And who is responsible? What infernal authority orchestrates her agony? What gleeful demon stuffs her back into that bag, again and again and agian, and flings her from the car?

We never see that woman's face. Only her hands.

Her human hands.

Look closely, and you may notice:

she is wearing a ring.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

TrixRabbi posted:

We're never getting those gang tags are we :(

i try

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

piratepilates posted:

which is what the client wanted

Cats reboot starring Lin Manuel Miranda as Mcafferty and Daveed Diggs as Rum Tum Tugger

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It's a bit hard to read the text.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

just lol if it's not a Digital Fur Technology goatse, complete with wedding ring

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I think it's cute

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

:kimchi:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Now make one with Mistoffelees' roses exploding from Old Deut's cooter.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
old deut's coots

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Get down, turn around, go to town
Deut's Coot boogie

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can't believe anyone would consider a gang tag that didn't feature Skimbleshanks: the Railway Cat.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
The cat of the railway train?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
He's a cat that cannot be ignored!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
So nothing goes wrong on the Northern Mail
When Skimbleshanks is aboard.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

But how could one capture the magnificence of Skimbleshanks in a small gang tag?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I keep imagining just one of those where the words appear in sequence
SKIM
BLE
SHANKS
THE
RAIL
WAY
CAT

over and over.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

HopperUK posted:

I keep imagining just one of those where the words appear in sequence
SKIM
BLE
SHANKS
THE
RAIL
WAY
CAT

over and over.

With Skimble staring directly at you from the screen, because it's certain that he wouldn't approve of goons

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Skimbleshanks is kind of a cop, huh

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

link me some prime skimbleshanks gif

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol love it