Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Starmer said trans rights during his Mumsnet AMA so I'm not entirely sure he's the FART-approved candidate

e: In 1953 Dr C. Hamburger published his paper "The desire for change of sex as shown by personal letters from 465 men and women." Demonstrating to the wider medical community that transgender people are not just isolated cases, thus beginning several decades of advancements in gender affirming care. And several decades of creepy "sexologists" and lovely takes, but anyway...

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Igotadigbick posted:

At least some states have informed consent so I woudnt have to wait 3 years to be seen for an initial appointment 🤷‍♀️

I sympathise with your frustrations but I have to say that this is some top tier username/posting combo, something awful forums user 'Igotabigdick'

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Starmer said trans rights during his Mumsnet AMA so I'm not entirely sure he's the FART-approved candidate

u k hun? xx

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

If you wanted to suppress the Mumsnet vote then all you need do is make sure the place they need to go is only accessible via motorway.

They’re the only things they fear more than trans people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a form of arranged transport. What's wrong with normal port?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Lord Ludikrous posted:

If you wanted to suppress the Mumsnet vote then all you need do is make sure the place they need to go is only accessible via motorway.

They’re the only things they fear more than trans people.

“My ex-DH has moved forty minutes away and lives with my kids and their trans step-mother (who they call mum) AIBU”
P: 1,2,3...1024,1025,1026

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Total Meatlove posted:

“My ex-DH has moved forty minutes away and lives with my kids and their trans step-mother (who they call mum) AIBU”

Cucking mumsnet terfs might be my new fetish

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Total Meatlove posted:

AIBU or are the strange acronyms they use intensely unsettling

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Prince John posted:

They argue that women-only safe spaces, e.g. rape crisis centres, domestic violence refuges, etc. contain vulnerable traumatised women who might be triggered by people with biologically male bodies entering their safe space. They do not deny that trans women are also heavily victimised, but advocate separate safe spaces for them.

Ah, separate, but equal spaces?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Am I Being Unfair I believe (hope)

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

ThomasPaine posted:

It’s the acronyms that get me, I don’t think I’ve seen any other website that uses them as much as mumsnet does. Here are some choice excerpts from their official list.

quote:

BFP
big fat positive (refers to a pregnancy test)

BF
breastfeeding (or best friend or boyfriend, depending on context)

EWCM
egg-white cervical mucus

IYKWIM
if you know what I mean

IYSWIM
if you see what I mean

MMC
missed miscarriage

OTT
over the top/overseas trained teacher

SIOB
sharp intake of breath

SWI
shagging with intent (trying to conceive)

SWOI
shagging without intent (not trying to conceive!)

TSSDNCOP
the secret service does not comment on procedure

YY
yes

Like do these things really need acronyms as opposed to just typing normally? That last one for instance, you’re literally one character off just using the full word - which along with acronyms of 6 or more characters rather defeats the point of acronyms in the first place. As does having acronyms that have multiple meanings.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

which along with acronyms of 6 or more characters rather defeats the point of acronyms in the first place.

Still a handy shortcut, but at that length you might as well ditch the acronym and coin a neologism.

I call this principle MAWDTAACAN, or mordacan for linguistic convenience.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/lisanandy/status/1227362922571104258?s=21

Nandy also said nice things about this campaign, although only RLB and Rayner are on the list of signatories.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I had to Google TSSDNCOP to see if it was a real thing, it just seems too niche. Apparently it's a West Wing reference, because of course it is

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Communities like to develop their own lingo though, however stupid, because it helps foster that sense of community - though it can also make the community insular and inaccessible to outsiders who don't spend ages lurking

This thread is not without its pointless acronyms (DCFADP)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord Ludikrous posted:

quote:

breastfeeding (or best friend or boyfriend, depending on context)
I don't want to kinkshame here but that really sounds like it needs three clearly separate acronyms.

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/lisanandy/status/1227362922571104258?s=21

Nandy also said nice things about this campaign, although only RLB and Rayner are on the list of signatories.
So that makes RLB, Butler, and Rayner clear signatories, Nandy a supporter, and Starmer a stream of legal babble on trans rights?

He did.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Communities like to develop their own lingo though, however stupid, because it helps foster that sense of community - though it can also make the community insular and inaccessible to outsiders who don't spend ages lurking

In most communities (offline too) excluding outsiders is part of the point of the jargon/slang - charitably it's basically an entrance exam that proves a newcomer to the community has invested the time to learn it.

What's alarming to me about Mumsnet's particular brand of this is stuff like "darling/dear husband/wife" being the enforced term. I can't put my finger on exactly *what* makes me feel uncomfortable about it, but it just strikes me as sounding like one of those 70s sitcom completely loveless relationships, the teeth-gritted "I want to put a needle through their eye but God says we have to stay together so I'll just call them "dearest" while people are watching" kind of thing. While admittedly only ever seeing the site through the filter of posts/tweets saying "look at this poo poo" the contents of posts I've seen there have never suggested any kind of healthy or loving relationship.

It might even just be the name. The site is there for women who define themselves as "mums", and people defining themselves purely as parents are always loving freaks. Kids are important, but basing your entire existence and personality through them just isn't healthy.

e: It's just occurred to me that - injokes/lore aside - SA is actually one of the better communities for this, presumably because there's already a :10bux: entrance exam.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Feb 12, 2020

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This thread is called the UKMT.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Mods please change my username to 'Egg-White Cervical Mucus' ty

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

we literally live in the UK

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Dabir posted:

i actually live in wales

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In most communities (offline too) excluding outsiders is part of the point of the jargon/slang - charitably it's basically an entrance exam that proves a newcomer to the community has invested the time to learn it.

What's alarming to me about Mumsnet's particular brand of this is stuff like "darling/dear husband/wife" being the enforced term. I can't put my finger on exactly *what* makes me feel uncomfortable about it, but it just strikes me as sounding like one of those 70s sitcom completely loveless relationships, the teeth-gritted "I want to put a needle through their eye but God says we have to stay together so I'll just call them "dearest" while people are watching" kind of thing. While admittedly only ever seeing the site through the filter of posts/tweets saying "look at this poo poo" the contents of posts I've seen there have never suggested any kind of healthy or loving relationship.

It might even just be the name. The site is there for women who define themselves as "mums", and people defining themselves purely as parents are always loving freaks. Kids are important, but basing your entire existence and personality through them just isn't healthy.

e: It's just occurred to me that - injokes/lore aside - SA is actually one of the better communities for this, presumably because there's already a :10bux: entrance exam.

As someone who has hung around on American home organizing forums since time began (flylady was my first - at least 20 years now!) - DH, DC, DS, DD, DG etc are not peculiar to mumsnet but are inherited from many American home organizing/life forums. Anyone who has been in this milieu for several years will be familiar with this terminology.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Parenthood can be an incredibly isolating, thankless, daunting, and stressful experience though. It completely makes sense that there would be such a large group devoted to helping people through the experience. It's just a shame that that also makes them easy targets for hate groups to spread their nonsense to vulnerable and trusting people

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
BAA - Ban All Acronyms.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Lord Ludikrous posted:

It’s the acronyms that get me, I don’t think I’ve seen any other website that uses them as much as mumsnet does. Here are some choice excerpts from their official list.

Like do these things really need acronyms as opposed to just typing normally? That last one for instance, you’re literally one character off just using the full word - which along with acronyms of 6 or more characters rather defeats the point of acronyms in the first place. As does having acronyms that have multiple meanings.

YY

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
SINA - Stop Inventing New Acronyms.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bundy posted:

Not sure I took away that we were definitely going to win as the general thread rhetoric tbh. There was a lot of optimism, sure and who could have predicted that Boris seeming inhuman and dropping every bollock he could in the media would make him seem "likeable"?

there was deffo an atmosphere of insane optimism, i think intentionally embraced by some of us as a mental defence and then other people picking up on genuinely and being cruelly convinced by before we lost incredibly hard to a moron clown (at least hillary won the popular vote, christ!)

since i was in from the start i dont begrudge the optimism (at least one of my friends blames me for getting his hopes up tho) but I do now think i'm looking for some introspection and changed attitudes that isn't really reflected by the people who have stayed posting here. Some of whom seem to have pivotted right from the corbyn suicide charge into an RLB suicide charge without taking a breath.

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'm thinking more of Labour's media appearances in recent years, where they've appeared perpetually over-wordy and defensive. Like Ronald Reagan once said: "If you're explaining, you're losing". I want to see them treating the media as the rigged game it is: a good dollop of Tory cynicism would actually do them the world of good here.

yeah agreed

if you could grow someone in a vat to lose to boris just on body language and facial expression it'd be kier starmer. dude has the tucker carlson face except instead of puzzlement its apologetic. he constantly looks like hes been photo'd saying "look, yes i'm very sorry but that is what happened." a sorry looking man who is well known for doing his homework and losing the brexit argument vs bojo... very inspiring.

otoh a close second runner up would be RLB who looks like she's always got her lips pursed in disapproval or uncertainty.
tbh none of these candidates seem like they'd give bojo any trouble apart from, as said, a pissed up thornberry

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

This thread is called the UKMT.

UK Mumsnet Thread

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Do you not see that going all in on despair is as bad as when we went all in on hope.

I feel bad about the loss now, but importantly we can't predict what is going to happen over the next few years. Irish re-unification and the break up of the UK are very real possibilities, and I don't think continually papering over things from an increasingly dying Tory press is going to help.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would much rather be hopeful and hurt than just... engage in protracted self harm by never hoping for anything? That's daft, it doesn't help.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hope is a good thing. I do not regret putting all my hope on Corbyn. I believed in him then and still do. I did not realise I lived with so many uneducated racists until election night and being a pessimist over that will not get me to change them, and it is them who need to change.

I continue to choose and hope for the best candidate to keep the flame alive of the things Corbyn got me to believe in. That is RLB. I do not care about 'electability' and whatever nebulous meanings that has. I want to be true to my principles. Voting in a compromise candidate is a compromise I am not willing to follow. Blair was a compromise and look what we now have. It might take a while and I wish that were not the case, but I will continue to vote for the person who is following the correct things regardless of how well they do with the rest of the public.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VideoGames posted:

Hope is a good thing. I do not regret putting all my hope on Corbyn. I believed in him then and still do. I did not realise I lived with so many uneducated racists until election night and being a pessimist over that will not get me to change them, and it is them who need to change.

I continue to choose and hope for the best candidate to keep the flame alive of the things Corbyn got me to believe in. That is RLB. I do not care about 'electability' and whatever nebulous meanings that has. I want to be true to my principles. Voting in a compromise candidate is a compromise I am not willing to follow. Blair was a compromise and look what we now have. It might take a while and I wish that were not the case, but I will continue to vote for the person who is following the correct things regardless of how well they do with the rest of the public.

:yeah:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Communist Thoughts posted:

I do now think i'm looking for some introspection and changed attitudes that isn't really reflected by the people who have stayed posting here. Some of whom seem to have pivotted right from the corbyn suicide charge into an RLB suicide charge without taking a breath.
Either tell us what your great wisdom has to offer on the matter or shut the gently caress up. Everyone who's gonna spend the next five years whining about electability and "learning lessons" should just skip ahead to the part where they join blue labour and throw minorities under the bus and save us all some time tbh.

I realise that the election loss was incredibly upsetting but if your greatest concern is that you looked like a dick for being on the losing team and that must not happen again no matter the cost then you need to give yourself a serious talking to before you end up voting tory next time :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jippa posted:

BAA - Ban All Acronyms.
Ban All Acronyms
Ban All Acronyms
Brothers for Love Achievement Culture and Knowledge
Society for Health, Education, Environment and Peace

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Pilchenstein posted:

Either tell us what your great wisdom has to offer on the matter or shut the gently caress up. Everyone who's gonna spend the next five years whining about electability and "learning lessons" should just skip ahead to the part where they join blue labour and throw minorities under the bus and save us all some time tbh.

I realise that the election loss was incredibly upsetting but if your greatest concern is that you looked like a dick for being on the losing team and that must not happen again no matter the cost then you need to give yourself a serious talking to before you end up voting tory next time :v:

yeah this is more or less what i'm talking about lol
a critique of RLB is somehow spun into being racist or anti immigrant??? then a bunch of posters basically accusing you of giving up hope or being a tory if you say that RLB isn't a good leadership candidate (neither are any of them)

nobody on the left is worried about looking like a dick for losing, its a much more worrying problem then that: that the corbyn approach didn't work.
which, y'know, it really didn't. it did at some things but not at winning elections, we got a swing and a miss against Maybot and then a massive loss against Bojo.

i will still likely vote RLB, but after the run up to the election and all the corbyny hype that I was a part of too, yeah I'm not that into displays of false optimism atm i just dont think its super helpful outside of a GE

e: fwiw a lot of reponders are intepreting this as "give up hope, face to despair" but like, no, just talk realistically about our chances.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 12, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is no realistic idea what the chances are because it's gonna be four years til the next election, and the shape of it is going to be determined primarily by things that happen in the interim.

And I think there is a much better chance with someone willing to take a principled stand on things that are important than with keir starmer trying to rejoin the EU.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

And I think there is a much better chance with someone willing to take a principled stand on things that are important than with keir starmer trying to rejoin the EU.

yeah a hundo percent agreed there

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/imbadatlife/status/1227566484672696328

mild lol

w0o0o0o
Aug 26, 2007
bloop.

Dabir posted:

URGH don't remind me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I don't believe any of the leadership candidates could win an election now, but they don't have to. What's important is they be an effective leader of the Opposition who will call out the Tories for their failures and lovely policies and show that there is another way for the country, not some centrist weathervane trying to triangulate the polls. For all the mockery of "we won the conversation", Corbyn did succeed in re-energising the left and steering progressive issues back into the mainstream, and the next leader will have a hand in shaping the narrative for the next election as well.