Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wow really, just three hours to paint something that big and that well?? I must be painting super slow then lol, though I guess that’s where experience comes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Experience and deciding ahead of time exactly what you want to do with the model. If it's just going to be used on the table top to play, I don't usually put that much effort into a model. Although i'll go through display level quality on 1 or 2 models in a box either way, but then dial it back for the rest. But I have a few models in my collection that I intended from the start to be on display.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
A bit of a dump, since I finished the thread and like it when everyone else posts pics.

First thing I painted was these Eschers in summer 2018:

Next summer I did the skellie warband (I see I wasn’t the only person to choose yellow for them):

~*my wife*~ bought me the Ambots for Xmas because she likes robots

Then I did the bases for the Stockbrokers (aka Stormsire’s Warband). I loved the bases, but I have no idea what the hell to do with the minis themselves, they’re so bland I think of them as having names like Chip …)

Then a mummy from the BB Champions of Death box:

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Wow really, just three hours to paint something that big and that well?? I must be painting super slow then lol, though I guess that’s where experience comes in.

A gently caress ton of it is figuring out where the effort matters, the other huge bit is handling mistakes, which ties into figuring out how to minimize time being 'wasted'. For example on these fellas I only 'highlight' the edges of the main panels and everything is zenithal highlights only which means that only the the stuff from visible from ~45 degrees up metters. I also only spent like 5 minutes correcting errors, most can be hidden by highlights or just being amongst the rest of the model.

Plus, I have a ton of practice at this point, and like anything else you get faster with practice.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah, that totally makes sense.

So there's two things I'm looking to get to upgrade my painting setup. First is a better set of brushes. Right now I'm using the cheap brushes that came from the stater Reaper sets. I'd like to get better brushes, but not super good real hair brushes or anything like that. I don't think I'm ready for that yet Just "good synthetic brushes". Anything on Amazon I should look for?

Second is a wet palette. Up until now I've just been using a dry plastic dish for my palette, and I've definitely notice some limitations from that especially from paints drying up before I'm doing using them. So a wet palette would be cool I think, plus I see everyone else using them! Now I know you CAN make wet palettes yourself, but if you WERE willing to spend a little money is it worth buying one. Like I saw this one on Amazon for instance, seems OK?

https://www.amazon.com/Sta-Wet-Pale...ts%2C169&sr=1-2

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

So there's two things I'm looking to get to upgrade my painting setup. First is a better set of brushes. Right now I'm using the cheap brushes that came from the stater Reaper sets. I'd like to get better brushes, but not super good real hair brushes or anything like that. I don't think I'm ready for that yet Just "good synthetic brushes". Anything on Amazon I should look for?

Second is a wet palette. Up until now I've just been using a dry plastic dish for my palette, and I've definitely notice some limitations from that especially from paints drying up before I'm doing using them. So a wet palette would be cool I think, plus I see everyone else using them! Now I know you CAN make wet palettes yourself, but if you WERE willing to spend a little money is it worth buying one. Like I saw this one on Amazon for instance, seems OK?

Brushes:
https://www.rosemaryandco.com/oil-brushes/pure-kolinsky-sable-oils/pure-kolinsky-pointed

Just make the upgrade. The price is reasonable enough that there's no reason not to.

Wet palette:
https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-paint-everything-how-to-make-a-simple-wet-palette/

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
From all reports, it's a solid palette. I know several people who swear by it, and claim that paint will remain fresh for weeks or months afterwards. And y'know, for $10 you're not throwing a bunch of money away on it.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

I use one and it is fine, other peoples opinions will very. For brushes, I dont have amazing advice but I have not had good experiences with any synthetic brushes, they just don't seem to live very long but YMMV. A nice sable brush is not actually that expensive, I have a raphael 8404 that was ~$20 CAD and it has lasted me 6 month so far.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
What is the proper way to clean a brush like that? I've mostly used cheap brushes and clean with warm water and some hand soap. Would it be the same with a sable brush?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Werix posted:

What is the proper way to clean a brush like that? I've mostly used cheap brushes and clean with warm water and some hand soap. Would it be the same with a sable brush?

https://www.dickblick.com/items/05702-1004/

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

JackMann posted:

Finished up the land speeder for my Iron Hands.

A guy on Reddit posted basically this conversion and I happened to come across it. By happenstance, I happened to have the kataphron kit (useful for parts for kitbashing).

I've been suffering for not having any anti-tank options, so I'm hoping this will at least give me a little bit more punch. Even if it gets shot down, I'm hoping it will at least do some damage first.

The speeder's heavy bolter slotted very nicely into the servitor's gun holder bit (the technical term, I believe).

Detail look of the controls. I was not smart enough to build in subassemblies. Happily, I was bad enough at gluing that he fell out of the seat when my cat knocked the speeder to the floor, letting me reach the controls (and add decals to his knees).

That puts me at 800 points of Iron Hands painted up. Next up will be my eliminator squad, then a vindicator, and finally Feirros to swap out with my grav captain.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hmm OK, maybe I will try those sable brushes. Thanks for the recommendations!

Actually let me ask, are there good Sable brushes to get off Amazon? The ones linked above from Rosemary And Co. could take almost a month to ship to me.

Heroic Yoshimitsu fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 12, 2020

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Actually let me ask, are there good Sable brushes to get off Amazon? The ones linked above from Rosemary And Co. could take almost a month to ship to me.
I've bought the following from amazon

Windsor & Newton brand
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013E68SU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Da Vinci
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PH66V0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

both are excellent brushes.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Brush-wise I'm gonna plug a recommendation for Rosemary and Co. if you have to order online. Really nice brushes and they get packed by hand so they show up in perfect shape. I love Da Vinci and Raphael brushes if I can buy them in person but I ordered 2 off of Amazon and the first was either a fake or had the world's shittiest sable and the second one was packed loose in a box with zero protection of any kind (including one of those plastic ferrule caps) and was completely unusable because it spent 2 days getting tossed around and having its bristles slammed into cardboard. Gave up on buying brushes on Amazon after that.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

I would be very careful about ordering brushes, especially Windsor and newton from amazon, there are a lot of janky sellers, I’ve heard about counterfeit brushes being sold and once I got a brush that was hosed up with bent bristles during delivery.

Ideally buy your fancy brushes from an art supply store in person so you can inspect the tip with your own eyes, if that’s not possible buy directly from the manufacturer, or from a reputable online art supply store.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I'll second the Rosemary recommendation. Need to get around to buying two new 33's and maybe a 93 at some point.

Element Games have their own line of brushes as well that might be good:
https://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/brushes/element-games-kolinsky-brush-bundle
Although the price point difference between them and Rosemary are negligible as I discovered earlier.
Or if you want to splurge a little, the Artis Opus set:
https://elementgames.co.uk/paints-hobby-and-scenery/brushes/artis-opus-brush-set

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The Rosemary & Co. are the best brushes you can buy, their 33 range is far superior to the Winsor series 7 if you’re buying 0,1 and 2’s. That they’re a third of the price is just a bonus. They also make a great shiraz rigger, if you paint a lot if straight lines.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah, the Rosemary brushes ARE way cheaper than other sable brushes that I've seen. They're probably worth the wait. I think I'd get a 3/0, 0, 1 and 2 which are basically the brush sizes I use right now.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I've seen a lot of painters who paint their bases first and then glue the miniature to it. Is that secure? Wouldn't the model only be attached to the paint and thus risk coming off easier than if the model was glued directly to the plastic/resin, or is it fine?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I bought some Raphael brushes from https://www.jacksonsart.com/en-us/ which were cheapish ($20 for a 0, 1, and 4/0) but it took a couple of weeks to get to the US. If you're in the UK they're probably a good choice. Although my #0 brush is forking already but I'm an oaf so that's probably my fault.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fake James posted:

I've seen a lot of painters who paint their bases first and then glue the miniature to it. Is that secure? Wouldn't the model only be attached to the paint and thus risk coming off easier than if the model was glued directly to the plastic/resin, or is it fine?

pinning the model helps ensure a good bond if you're skeptical about just supergluing your spaceperson to a painted base

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRItrHxuLH4

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Fake James posted:

Anecdotally, this is fine and I haven't had a model fall off the base yet.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I have yet to run into any issues with gluing it on after doing the base. But then I also started using a cork for basing material so hard to not do that afterwards.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

5thing or whatever getting Rosemary brushes. I order them direct to America, and it only takes a week. Get 4 or 5 Series 33s in whatever size and maybe a few others. Marvelous quality.

I have been using a Series 303 (I believe) to do my metals and it has been nice.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The only recommendation I can give is to not buy brushes on Amazon. I've gotten fakes from there of the well known and trusted brands.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Wow, I just tried Vallejo's Yellow Ink for the first time and my god the coverage is nuts compared to the regular paint. Prime white, apply ink and you've got a perfect bright yellow in just one thin layer. Need to play with undershadowing now to make this look better, but it's seriously night and day.

Only disappointment is that found out about this just three models before finishing my 2000 points worth of Ironjawz army :smith:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I bought my first Rosemary and Co. brushes recently and was pretty disappointed. One came with the plastic cap put on such that it was bending back a bunch of bristles which basically wrecked the brush. The others were okay but don't hold a point particularly well, even compared to some of my old beat-up Winsor & Newtons. They were much cheaper to be fair, but I think I'll stick with W&N in future.

As for fakes on Amazon I've never had the issue, just always make sure you're buying direct from Amazon and not a 3rd-party that's fulfilled by Amazon.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Fake James posted:

I pin mine, which is easy since when I paint minis I already drill a hole into one foot and run a paperclip up into it to mount it on a cork base, so pinning is just a matter of snipping that paperclip down to a shorter length and drilling a hole in the base.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
I’m not a super fan of Rosemary brushes, I find the bristles a bit too long. They’re certainly not bad quality, they just don’t “fit” me. My go-to now are Element Games 1 and 0 sizes (regiment and character) and W&N No.2, those account for 95% of my painting.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Fake James posted:

I've recently mainly been painting models with tiny wee ankles that I dont want to risk trying to pin the feet, and if I'm gluing to a base I've pre painted (which I only really do if its a scenic resin base, if I'm adding sand or flock or static grass or whatever myself I almost never do that until the model is painted and glued) I take a knife/pointed sculpting tool/safety pin/needle file/whatever and scrape a little paint away from where each of the models feet is going to be so that the glue gets direct surface to surface contact.

I honestly dont know how much of a difference it makes, other people say that gluing over the paint is fine, but, like you, I'm dubious of how strong gluing to the paint would be and scraping a tiny bit of the paint off only takes a few seconds and it makes me happier knowing itsdirectly glued resin to plastic.

Edit to add: Obviously if the model hasnt got tiny ballet dancer ankles then pinning is the way to go for maximum security.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I've had pretty good luck with https://www.jacksonsart.com for brushes. I think Miniac has a discount code for first time orders.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I mean, my little brother bought me two 0's and a 1 from Rosemary and Co for Christmas 2018, and to date I still have one of the 0's that I've never used, because the first one hasn't given up on me yet. Sure I don't paint every day, but they have been used for a good while, and still soap right up into a nice point at the end of the painting session.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What do you guys use for cleaning your brushes after each session? I use the Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver that a lot of people recommend, but it feels like overhype that it actually does any good for your brushes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My brush preference is Raphael (from an art store like dickblick, not amazon) if I want to splurge and Rosemary if I want something good quality but cheaper. I've had terrible luck with W&Ns, from them arriving in poor condition to crapping out in a month even if they initially looked good. Raphaels are nicer than Rosemary in my opinion, but they're also like 3 times as expensive. Fair enough since they're considerably larger.

Fake James posted:

Every time I've done this the miniature has come off of the base in short order. I always pin when painting the base separately.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

I said come in! posted:

What do you guys use for cleaning your brushes after each session? I use the Masters Brush Cleaner and Preserver that a lot of people recommend, but it feels like overhype that it actually does any good for your brushes.

I mean, it cleans paint out of your brush. If you leave paint in there, it frays and you need to buy a new brush to get something that'll keep a point. Pretty much what it says on the jar.

What in particular is disappointing you?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

Yeah it doesn't really do anything other soap wouldn't. But washing your brushes in soap is good. I like Master's but use whatever.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Has anyone actually used the Artis Opus brushes? I can get them locally from Noble Knight, so I was thinking of picking up a couple of Series S.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Funzo posted:

Has anyone actually used the Artis Opus brushes? I can get them locally from Noble Knight, so I was thinking of picking up a couple of Series S.

I have a set and like them a whole lot, although I did the kickstarter. New retail they seem super pricey. But they are nice.

I don't think they're waaaaay better or anything, but definitely high quality.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Funzo posted:

I have no credible source to make this claim, but I've always just assumed they were more expensive rebranded brushes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

grassy gnoll posted:

I mean, it cleans paint out of your brush. If you leave paint in there, it frays and you need to buy a new brush to get something that'll keep a point. Pretty much what it says on the jar.

What in particular is disappointing you?

I mean it doesn't seem to do any better with helping your brush keep a point, or getting paint out, that soap or any other cleaning method won't do as well.