Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The cruelty is the point:

RCMP Arrest Unist'ot'en Matriarchs During Ceremony to Honour Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Femtosecond posted:

Too late for this specific case but maybe a message to other First Nations: Don't make it easy for the Fed gov to make up your gov structure for you, picking and choosing who they want to listen to.

None of this matters to the Federal government. It doesn't matter what is written down or how indigenous communities are structured the Federal government will use parliamentary law or police force to do what they want to do.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"Rule of Law" is just a meme the government and corporations like to trot out when its in their favour but never think the law will actually protect the vulnerable. For poor people and specially first nations people, it's full on wild west colonialism out there, there's no rule of law. Government and corporations just take what they want and do what they want.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

well that's about the worst possible look I've seen. can't get police to show up for murdered women, but you can get a detachment sent as soon as living women cause the slightest of inconvenience to industry.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

None of this matters to the Federal government. It doesn't matter what is written down or how indigenous communities are structured the Federal government will use parliamentary law or police force to do what they want to do.
Yah, if the situation were reversed and the hereditary chiefs were all big pipeline cheerleaders and the elected council and their supporters had a blockade, I have a feeling we'd have the RCMP acting exactly the same, just with different people in handcuffs.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013

Trapick posted:

Yah, if the situation were reversed and the hereditary chiefs were all big pipeline cheerleaders and the elected council and their supporters had a blockade, I have a feeling we'd have the RCMP acting exactly the same, just with different people in handcuffs.

I think Femto's point is that having a unified government structure against the pipeline makes it easier to pull others into the pipeline fights and makes it harder for pro-pipeline propagandists to muddy the waters.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

folytopo posted:

I think Femto's point is that having a unified government structure against the pipeline makes it easier to pull others into the pipeline fights and makes it harder for pro-pipeline propagandists to muddy the waters.
You're assuming a lot by thinking that if they had a unified government structure it would be against the pipeline, but ok.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Just do the mortal combat thing where they go back in time and kill hitler cancel the atlantic slave trade stop the colonizers.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Someone submitted this to shiftythrifting.tumblr.com

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The benefit of having a clear singular governance response is that it narrows the discussion to the core issue. Without a doubt if the Wet'suwet'en Nation clearly said No, the feds, province and pipeline corporation would still be pushing to build the pipeline but they'd have less ammo.

Additionally with a clearer issue being discussed, it would be easier for the public to pick a side instead of remaining ambivalent and opting for neutrality.

Right now pro-pipeline talking points are about how the bands are ok with it, and that "hereditary leadership isn't democracy therefore isn't valid". These would go away if the Wet'suwet'en Nation decision making process was internalized.

Without band council approval as justification, the pipeline proponents would have to fall back to using the assertion that "First Nations don't have a veto" as their justification for ramming through the pipeline.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
None of those arguments go away because pro-pipeline people and the Federal/Alberta/BC government are not using good faith arguments.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

DariusLikewise posted:

I just finished Thomas King's The Inconvenient Indian and I now know that North American history is basically this repeated forever.

Great book btw, someone recommended it itt but I have no idea who

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Oh why is Omar Khadr trending.

Oh....

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ezra Levant saw him on an airplane (e: by complete coincidence, one might believe if one is an absolute moron) and the cops threatened to arrest Levant if he didn't shut the gently caress up about it.

Don't read the comments.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 11, 2020

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The Ezra trending tag is people making GBS threads on him and is a much better read

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Femtosecond posted:

Right now pro-pipeline talking points are about how the bands are ok with it, and that "hereditary leadership isn't democracy therefore isn't valid".

Been seeing an alarming amount of this. It reeks of american "we're gonna democratize the gently caress out of you, with bombs"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Also, Khadr flew on a plane like five years ago, so I don't... okay yeah I do know where ezra is pulling this poo poo out of

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jehde posted:

Been seeing an alarming amount of this. It reeks of american "we're gonna democratize the gently caress out of you, with bombs"

This is fundamentally what colonial history is. Back in the day they dressed it up as bringing "civilization" but it was the same basic concept.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Leofish posted:

There are protests all over Canada, mainly to block or shut down critical infrastructure. CP Rail lines, used by VIA, in Ontario are blocked, the Vancouver port is being blocked.

In Regina, some dipshit drove through one of the crowds.

https://twitter.com/ItsCanadamania/status/1226254533069856768

https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/sk/car-driving-through-protesters-in-regina-caught-on-video

quote:

According to Elizabeth Popowich, manager of public information with the police service, the protesters in the video did not apply for a permit for traffic control.

The police allegedly got word that there were a group of protestors in the Albert Street Bridge and officers were sent down to keep the peace.

“It looks as though a vehicle attempted to drive through the protesters. We were able to identify the vehicle's driver and spoke with him after the fact,” said Popowich to Narcity

While police did not specify why the male driver drove through the crowd, Popowich did state that the driver had recognized that he should not have attempted to go through the crowd.

No injuries were reported as a result of the close call and the police are not contemplating any charges at this time.

Police say assault is cool and good because they didn't have the right permit.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Dreylad posted:

well that's about the worst possible look I've seen. can't get police to show up for murdered women, but you can get a detachment sent as soon as living women cause the slightest of inconvenience to industry.

Does it count as a bad look if nobody is looking and nobody cares though

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Coxswain Balls posted:

https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/sk/car-driving-through-protesters-in-regina-caught-on-video

If you wanna kill someone and not face any consequences in canada you just have to use your car to do it

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Booourns posted:

If you wanna kill someone and not face any consequences in canada you just have to use your car to do it
Or be a Saskatchewan farmer with a "malfunctioning" gun.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

flakeloaf posted:

Also, Khadr flew on a plane like five years ago, so I don't... okay yeah I do know where ezra is pulling this poo poo out of

Ezra is a liar. That's all there is to it. He know he can lie about whatever he wants and get his followers all angried up. Khadr is speaking at a conference alongside Romeo Dallaire regarding ending the use of child soldiers worldwide, this was widely publicized. As far as Canada's "no fly list", anyone who claims to know who is on it is full of poo poo because the government doesn't release that information. It won't even say how many people are on the list. The list is reviewed every three months.

Ezra is going to Halifax to stalk Khadr because every time Omar Khadr is seen in public, The Rebel makes money.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Coxswain Balls posted:

They were disappointed nobody was killed and want to encourage future attacks on protesters.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Apparently doing some stupid drunken poo poo like throwing a chair off a balcony is "we need to send this evil woman to jail to send a message!" but driving through a crowd of people is cool and good and if you express the understanding that you ought not to have done that, then it's all fine. What the actual gently caress? What logic leads to that place?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Chair thrower could've hit white people with money. Crashing a protest with your car just endangers indigenous people and traveling agitators.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Femtosecond posted:

Too late for this specific case but maybe a message to other First Nations: Don't make it easy for the Fed gov to make up your gov structure for you, picking and choosing who they want to listen to.

Unfortunately this poo poo is pretty much enshrined in Canadian law.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

Chair thrower could've hit white people with money. Crashing a protest with your car just endangers indigenous people and traveling agitators.

Correction: chair thrower could've hit a car being driven by white people with money, which is a heinous crime. Praise be that no cars were hurt!

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
Does anyone have any good books or resources that give some context and background to first nations land use rights/treaties etc?

Obviously it's an incredibly complex subject but I don't think I know anyone with a good understanding of things like the Wet'suwet'en boondoggle. From an outside perspective I get the impression infrastructure projects that have unanimous consent from all FN stakeholders (and in this case even from the elected Wet'suwet'en band council) should be allowed to proceed (if any large infrastructure or energy project can ever be expected to proceed in Canada ever again - even transit or sustainable energy projects tend to have incredible opposition from anyone adjacent to it) but I'm open to getting better context/info.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Blatchford is dead. Lung Cancer.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Blatchford is dead. Lung Cancer.

Taken from us too soon 😭😭😭

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

A scathing indictment
https://twitter.com/jonkay/status/1227604632542773248

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 9, 2022

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/nationalpost/status/981655611766136833
https://twitter.com/nationalpost/status/956665004614471681

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 9, 2022

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

:cry:

Why cant i be gay antagonistic? Free Speech!!!

Also, Daren't? Really?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Christie Blatchford liked to eat ramen but refused to learn how to use chopsticks. I don't know what else there is to say about her, really.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
lmao rest in poo

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It’s actually cool and good when you live in a society where being anti-gay is unacceptable. This woman and her awful opinions “shalln’t” be missed.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
rest in piss, you ghoul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I accidentally looked at twitter today and saw her horrible name was "trending". When I clicked on it I noticed everyone with one of those stupid blue checks was gushing about what an amazing journalist and person she was while everyone without a check was celebrating her death or reminding everyone of her horrific views. In short, Twitter is a land of contrasts but also very bad.