Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
To any jeopardy contestants here, my wife just told me Maggie is retiring. For reference, if I am correct she is the onsite contestant coordinated and prepper head. Super unique and high energy personality, you can hear her singing from the audience stands. Good for her, but bummer for jeopardy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Aw man, she's one of the best parts of auditions. Nobody's better at getting a bunch of nervous nerds to relax.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
e: nevermind

HookShot fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 10, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Why jeopardy thought a final question on sports, let alone boxing, was a good idea is beyond me. Never heard of that answer myself.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Duckman2008 posted:

Why jeopardy thought a final question on sports, let alone boxing, was a good idea is beyond me. Never heard of that answer myself.

That was definitely one of the more esoteric Finals I've seen in a long time. And of course the champ stumbled rear end-backwards into winning despite playing a horrible game, because he was the only contestant who didn't make a horrific wager.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

even the best of all time series had clues in all of their questions. that final jeopardy hinted at nothing.

wow.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Rules for a sport, 19th century, named after a British nobleman? Stupidly obvious. Can't believe nobody got it.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unkempt posted:

Rules for a sport, 19th century, named after a British nobleman? Stupidly obvious. Can't believe nobody got it.

I don’t know anything about boxing and didn’t watch tonight, but hasn’t everyone heard about the Marquis of Queensbury?

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

I don’t know anything about boxing and didn’t watch tonight, but hasn’t everyone heard about the Marquis of Queensbury?

Yes, but the clue didn't say "Marquis of Queensbury". It only referenced his real name, John Sholto Douglas.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, it was an extremely poorly written clue.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I got it instantly. :smug:

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I only got it because of Mike Tyson Mysteries.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Unkempt posted:

The only thing I whiffed on was the title. What other British nobles have sports connections besides Queensbury and Stanley?

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

i immediately blurted out boxing rules! queensbury!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

It took me a little bit, but British rules referencing a nobleman let me eventually make the jump to the Marquis of Queensbury with enough time. Just wasn’t sure how to phrase it.

And yeah, that was a weird game.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Hey everybody, I'm your middle podium tonight!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I just got to the "Can I change my wager?" episode on my DVR and lol I want to hang out with that lady and exchange extremely low-key stories.

Spraynard Kruger posted:

Congrats and good (retroactive) luck!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spraynard Kruger posted:

Retro good luck! :)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Spraynard Kruger posted:

This owns, love how many goons we've had. Hope you crushed it!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Spraynard Kruger posted:

Welcome to the fold! Retro good luck!

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I hope you won!!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Spraynard Kruger posted:

Retro good luck!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Spraynard Kruger posted:

I get jeopardy early on in my broadcast !

Great job dude! My wife and I both said Churchill, but felt it was too obvious. Way to represent !

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Duckman2008 posted:

I get jeopardy early on in my broadcast !

Great job dude! My wife and I both said Churchill, but felt it was too obvious. Way to represent !

Agreed, congratulations! But holy poo poo, please tell me you stopped rocking back on your right heel and then swinging to your left after every answer...

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Spraynard Kruger posted:

Congratulations! I immediately thought of Chamberlain for the Final because his name is inextricably linked - rightly or wrongly - with "appeasement".

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 13, 2020

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Congratulations! I immediately thought of Chamberlain for the Final because his name is inextricably linked - rightly or wrongly - with "appeasement".

:yossame: on both counts. Congrats, man!

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Hell yeah, dude! Way to go!

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

Thanks for all the spoiler text, everybody!

Timby posted:

Agreed, congratulations! But holy poo poo, please tell me you stopped rocking back on your right heel and then swinging to your left after every answer...

Haha, I didn't know this was a thing until you said it, and now I see it. Sorry! Maybe it'll be better because there's less of an angle between Trebek and the board when you're at the champion's podium?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I noticed the same thing, but more in the context of, "If I get on the show I'd never be able to watch myself because 100% guaranteed I'd do something like that and not notice I was doing it."

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Spraynard Kruger posted:

Haha, I didn't know this was a thing until you said it, and now I see it. Sorry! Maybe it'll be better because there's less of an angle between Trebek and the board when you're at the champion's podium?
Now that it was mentioned, I couldn’t unsee it on today’s show.

The clues you guys left at Double Jeopardy were brutal, drat. Too bad about Final, but you get to join the Jeopardy Goon one game winner’s club with Hookshot, so there’s that!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm behind so I totally planned on avoiding this thread but then I forgot I was avoiding it so I haven't seen it yet but congrats!! That's awesome and I look forward to watching your game in a few days :)

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!
I think the 'Greatest' competition has had a slightly negative effect on 'regular' Jeopardy. Mainly, after watching 3 of the best and brightest at Jeopardy just killing every kind of esoteric 'answer' in a wide variety of categories, watching the current crop of 'less than the greatest' flail about either just standing around (no-one answers) on super easy questions, or flat-out getting them wrong... is painful.

Last night's show was so sad I honestly thought if Alex had asked "Who wrote Edgar Allen Poe's poem, 'The Raven'", they would have gotten it wrong.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sunnyboy posted:

I think the 'Greatest' competition has had a slightly negative effect on 'regular' Jeopardy. Mainly, after watching 3 of the best and brightest at Jeopardy just killing every kind of esoteric 'answer' in a wide variety of categories, watching the current crop of 'less than the greatest' flail about either just standing around (no-one answers) on super easy questions, or flat-out getting them wrong... is painful.

Last night's show was so sad I honestly thought if Alex had asked "Who wrote Edgar Allen Poe's poem, 'The Raven'", they would have gotten it wrong.

Lol no, jeopardy is fine.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

sunnyboy posted:

I get this, but regular Jeopardy has been plenty entertaining to me. Maybe lower scoring that usual, especially after how the GOAT tourney went, but the last couple of days have been pretty good.

And by last night, do you mean Wednesday or Thursday’s show? Both dropped off at the end there, but the payouts were decent enough.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

sunnyboy posted:

right, but that's the point. there's a reason they introduce people as a "a dentist from omaha" or "a bowling instructor from shelbyville" and not "a 3-time geek bowl champion" or "a learnedleague a-rundler"

jeopardy is fun because you get to watch normal people who know a little bit more than the average person do their best to answer tough questions. they obviously know enough to get on the show and some games are tougher than others. that's part of the fun, and it's great when you know something the contestants don't (although you don't have to make a post about it every time)

there's the ToC every year and a higher-level tournament a few times a decade for people who just hate seeing easy questions but like... watch university challenge or something. idk, man

edit: or... just go beat jeopardy for like six figures and pay quiz bowlers to duke it out in front of you for $20 an hour

Spokes fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 14, 2020

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

I think some of this may be less about the GOAT tournament, but more about the post-James Holzhauer era we live in. Sure, people were bouncing around the board before, but now he's really encouraged starting at the bottom, where the questions are the hardest!

I think Tuesday's DJ round was a decent example about how this made for a poor flow to the game. Kristyna ended up trailing by only $600 going in to FJ, with 3 $400 clues and 2 $800 clues left unrevealed at the top of the board. A couple of easier questions could have swung the outcome, but she kept going for the higher dollar clues. To make a baseball analogy, stop swinging for the fences and just try to get on base!

I know the ending of tonight's game was pretty brutal, but hey, at least we saved it for the end.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sunnyboy posted:

I dunno Jeopardy's always had people leaving gimmes on the board.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

I will say that today’s episode was real rough, especially right at the beginning and again at the end. Terry pulling a True Daily Double at the end on a relatively easy clue is what pulled him out, but drat if it didn’t feel like he was gonna crash and burn all game, even after he hit the DD. That Final was relatively easy, and he didn’t even try, what with the $1337 bet and all, but I guess he didn’t really need to.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hahaha I found today's episode wildly entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Terry the GOAT