Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

If anyone is still unaware, and it seems unlikely at this point, there is a bit of a crisis going on up here in British Columbia right now.
A little backstory:
For years, the Canadian government has been wanting to build a pipeline, which will extend through land owned by indigenous people.
Land upon which they live and take care of their families.
In recent days, the RCMP (the "Royal Canadian Mounted Police') have been arresting members of the Wet'suewet'en Nation for rightfully trying to defend their homes, in response to a forced-eviction order.
https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2020/02/...inv45G8QD82K03Q
Some of my favourite highlights, and I say that with extreme sarcasm, are:

quote:

As legal scholar and expert in Indigenous rights Dayna Scott has noted, Indigenous leaders are faced with a “false choice. They’re being asked to choose whether or not they want to sign a deal and get some benefits for their people for a pipeline that’s going to go through whether or not they agree to it.”

quote:

We all know that the American government thought they could murder Indians into submission. The Canadian government took a different approach: it pursued a policy of planned relocation, starvation and disease. Indian agents stole funds and raped Indigenous women. Anyone who resisted was hanged. Then came residential schools.

Another article about the situation:
https://ricochet.media/en/2905/rcmp...92-RDx4ChQivDMo

quote:

According to one eyewitness, the police arrived with guns drawn and pointed down, and when one person wouldn’t exit their truck, officers smashed the truck’s window to get to them.

And another:
https://thenarwhal.ca/rcmp-backtrac...5vB6svSBSPsqmMQ
Is this fooling anyone?
Ok cool, so the RCMP are now allowing the media folks through their dumb barrier.
It's nothing but a desperate attempt at recovering a positive public perception, and I'm personally not falling for it.

AND another:
https://thenarwhal.ca/what-cost-are...qfAGOTH1kCJaZkE
Yes, you're reading that right, the United Nations has now gotten involved.
Maybe it's because there were police snipers present.

It's not the usual kind of unnerving topic this thread normally discusses, but it's unnerving nonetheless.
People, human beings, should not be treated this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The Mighty Moltres posted:

For years, the Canadian government has been wanting to build a pipeline, which will extend through land owned by indigenous people.

I feel like some of the media is overlooking this detail in particular (not that I'm saying you are). Their land isn't owned by them in the sense that a settler might own land in Canada, it's unceded territory and shouldn't count as part of Canada at all. UNDRIP, as I understand it, is supposed to assure people in unceded territory of special protections.

Instead our national police are all up in there ready to kill to protect corporate interests

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

a mysterious cloak posted:

Jesus christ, gently caress Texas and their cops and lawyers

I re-read The Innocent Man, the two-part Michael Morton story in Texas Monthly this week. I want to bash heads in.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2019/03/15/eastern-peril/

quote:

...Doihara was an intelligence officer and had been active in northern China and Siberia for some considerable time. Even among the pantheon of villains that were his contemporaries, Doihara stands out as a particularly loathsome individual. His rise to infamy began with tricking his 15-year-old sister into posing nude for some photographs. Armed with the developed pictures, the loving brother touted them to a Japanese imperial prince who was so impressed he made her his number one concubine. In return for this favour, Doihara was posted as an assistant to General Honjo, military attaché to Peking...

:yikes:

Imperial Japan only uses the most wonderful people

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3676727/amp

On a Christian show, a puppeteer is not only a pedophile, but harbors far darker desires. I haven't looked into this more, and I don't plan to; the article is short, but quite :stare: worthy.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I re-read The Innocent Man, the two-part Michael Morton story in Texas Monthly this week. I want to bash heads in.

I don't know if I can handle it. Too unnerved already.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I just finished that. Thanks for posting it.

A nice postscript to the story.
The prosecutor ended up being convicted of contempt of court for what he did to Morton. He was sentenced to 10 days in jail and $500.

They let him out in 5 days for good behavior. Michael Morton served 8,995 days in prison for a crime he did not commit.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I started reading this and the same sheriff who hosed everything up with Henry Lee Lucas shows up here too. What a colossal rear end in a top hat.

E: and the more I read the more I hate this man.

Ravenfood has a new favorite as of 21:09 on Feb 11, 2020

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Leavemywife posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3676727/amp

On a Christian show, a puppeteer is not only a pedophile, but harbors far darker desires. I haven't looked into this more, and I don't plan to; the article is short, but quite :stare: worthy.
I got through the first sentence and decided that was quite enough information thank you. :stare:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

TorpedoFish posted:

I got through the first sentence and decided that was quite enough information thank you. :stare:

Yeah, they don't bury the lede with that one.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Madkal posted:

Generation Why recently did an episode on Anthony Graves.

Here is a brief intro. A family (including kids) are brutally murdered and their house is burnt down. The police have a suspect and their guy is pretty much guilty as gently caress. Only problem is that the police are convinced he had an accomplice. They are absolutely certain of it in fact, and they grill him for a name. He gives them one. I will leave it there. Feel free to read the rest in this Texas Monthly article which covers all the details in their usual excellent way.

Does anyone have any other good longreads like these two about wrongful convictions being overturned? They are extremely my poo poo at the moment.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Aphex- posted:

Does anyone have any other good longreads like these two about wrongful convictions being overturned? They are extremely my poo poo at the moment.
This one wasn't overturned, but the New Yorker did one on Cameron Todd Willingham that was one of my favorite early reads. I think I found it itt actually.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

NatasDog posted:

This one wasn't overturned, but the New Yorker did one on Cameron Todd Willingham that was one of my favorite early reads. I think I found it itt actually.

this one just makes you want to bash peoples heads in even more

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

this one just makes you want to bash peoples heads in even more

They all do because the punishment for willfully loving up other's lives is usually a lot less than what the people who suffer get. There's honest mistakes and then there is this poo poo.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, even the ones where a wrongful conviction gets overturned you still end up with innocent people locked up for like 20+ years and their lives are really never going to be on track with what they would have been even if they do get a nice settlement later on. And then the guy who mishandled the case loses his license and gets, I dunno, maybe a couple of years, only a fraction of which will ever get served, etc.

There's a part of me that can't help but wish that anyone who deliberately sabotaged the legal process should get the same sentence that was overturned, but I know that's not good policy.

E: Yeah, I'm not talking about honest mistakes for clarification

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Do you think if they ran prosecutors kind of like jury duty/the draft would work better? Like any lawyer licensed to practice in the state could be called up for one year of state prosecutor service.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Solice Kirsk posted:

Do you think if they ran prosecutors kind of like jury duty/the draft would work better? Like any lawyer licensed to practice in the state could be called up for one year of state prosecutor service.
Or have them do alternating duties as prosecutors & public defenders.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
a variant of Rawls’s veil of ignorance where neither lawyer knows which side they’re arguing for

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Snopes.com has a rather interesting investigative article entitled "Savage Memes and Lunar Dreams: Deceptive Dating Sites’ Intimate Ties to Firefly Aerospace" in which they track a couple of scammers through the internet and Silicon Valley to expose what pieces of poo poo the scammers are.
https://www.snopes.com/news/2020/02/12/savage-memes-lunar-dreams/?fbclid=IwAR1DHaqsRmNHyUWN_iJhiTL1o8Mwcoz10aocsA68WhZrLlQFWyJcuqVf5r4&utm

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Does anybody have that article written by the guy who basically covered his daughters own murder?

If it helps, It had a part where hes getting mugged after learning about it and he just roars at the mugger and like everyone in a three block radius comes running to see what the gently caress.

Edit: Nevermind its Dominick Dunne in Vanity Fair.

Telsa Cola has a new favorite as of 05:20 on Feb 13, 2020

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I don't know if I can handle it. Too unnerved already.

I read the Morton articles anyway. Goddammit.

:killing:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Telsa Cola posted:

Does anybody have that article written by the guy who basically covered his daughters own murder?

If it helps, It had a part where hes getting mugged after learning about it and he just roars at the mugger and like everyone in a three block radius comes running to see what the gently caress.

Link it, that sounds like a good read.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I think this is the one.

https://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/1984/03/dunne198403

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

God drat it

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

It is indeed that one.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I read the Morton articles anyway. Goddammit.

:killing:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Gratuitous cruelty

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

those are some pretty short sentences for serious crimes

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Telsa Cola posted:

“Fun” fact!

The killer is now head of food services at a retirement home in California.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Abolishing prosecutorial immunity and the qualified immunity cops get would probably help. Qualified immunity was invented by the courts in I think the 60s.

Groovelord Neato has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Feb 13, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I can't imagine going through what he went through and not just screaming at the world for the rest of my life.
gently caress.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Love how the coward baby judge turns on his heel and condemns the jury as soon as he gets negative press for pushing them toward a light sentence. Really cool and definitely how a judge should act.

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010

Randaconda posted:

those are some pretty short sentences for serious crimes

The article doesn’t mention any other charges. Shouldn’t there be at least kidnapping and attempted murder as well?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

CJacobs posted:

Love how the coward baby judge turns on his heel and condemns the jury as soon as he gets negative press for pushing them toward a light sentence. Really cool and definitely how a judge should act.

The American legal system is a hideous mockery of justice in the best of situations yeah.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

Aphex- posted:

Maybe the (non-fiction) books about supposed Swedish serial-killer Thomas Quick? They're really fascinating to read, but as a Swede I also find the way his case was mishandled infuriating.

IIRC Thomas Quick: The Making of a Serial Killer focuses more on the psychology behind his confessions, while The Strange Case of Thomas Quickdelves deeper into the way the investigations were conducted.

Should be noted that he's not wholly innocent. He may not be a serial killer, but he's still a pedophile and sex criminal.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/blacker-my-soul-alarming-amazon-reviews-linked-alleged-sc-killer-n679231

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Kohlhepp

A Grand Egg has a new favorite as of 13:40 on Feb 18, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Only Witness

A death on a lonely road, a woman shot at her own home and the one man who connects them both.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Honestly that dagger looks like amateur hour. No tang so once your hands get slippery with sweat or blood you're probably going to injure your own hand. And if you're trying to use it to commit crimes you'll then contaminate everything with your own blood and get caught for sure.

What an idiot.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Honestly that dagger looks like amateur hour. No tang so once your hands get slippery with sweat or blood you're probably going to injure your own hand.

Guard. The tang is what makes it not disintegrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1232416479066370053?s=19