Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

DatonKallandor posted:

Well they just sent out the emails. 1.9 is the last Battletech update. HBS is now working on two non-Battletech projects.

I was really hoping for more Battletech.

Not surprised but it's still too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/2752749

urbies nooo

lmao the dekker stat

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

Well they just sent out the emails. 1.9 is the last Battletech update. HBS is now working on two non-Battletech projects.

I was really hoping for more Battletech.

In the plus side, no PDS-style DLC treadmill.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I'm excited for what they do next, but also I hope after these next two projects we get Battletech 2.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
It's been a solid run with improvements all the way. I'm fine with HBS taking a break and coming back with fresh eyes

plus it also gives the mod scene time to really stabilize their builds. Without the fear of some future update blowing them out of the water

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

OddObserver posted:

In the plus side, no PDS-style DLC treadmill.

This was one of my greatest fears since they got involved with paradox

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Pyronic posted:

I'm excited for what they do next, but also I hope after these next two projects we get Battletech 2.

Battletech 2 seems like a certainty, this game did pretty well critically and (I think) commercially and the bulk of the basic systems are in place

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

HBS was a itty bitty tiny little kickstarter studio not long ago. Their first game was barely-finished. They've come a long way from Shadowrun Returns! I'm sure whatever their next project is it'll be pretty cool.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Their first game was barely-finished.

I mean, I like Battletech and all, but...

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Hey goons who use mods: does anyone ever use the HBS mod manager, or is everyone still on the modtek thing people used to use? I'm working on bringing PTN's timeskip rules into a mod, and I'm pretty much wholly unfamiliar with the state of the modscene since before flashpoint. I'd like to make installing it as painless and friendly as possible, so using what people are familiar would be a good first step.

I hope they optimize the engine for BT2, it's really the only poo poo part of this game. I'd rather that happen before they add tons of more features.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

SpookyLizard posted:

Hey goons who use mods: does anyone ever use the HBS mod manager, or is everyone still on the modtek thing people used to use? I'm working on bringing PTN's timeskip rules into a mod, and I'm pretty much wholly unfamiliar with the state of the modscene since before flashpoint. I'd like to make installing it as painless and friendly as possible, so using what people are familiar would be a good first step.

I hope they optimize the engine for BT2, it's really the only poo poo part of this game. I'd rather that happen before they add tons of more features.

HBS mod manager works surprisingly well and I've pretty much gone to it exclusively, but I only really mod in tweaks and such. I think big overhauls still use modtek?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

:rip:

I was hoping for full Steam Workshop integration for mods, but I guess we'll need to wait for BT2.

drat fun game, and I know there was a goon or two who worked on it, so congrats on making such a success. As fans we always want more, but you guys did really well.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

There are some issues with Mod Manager for the big mods (BTE:CE, BTA, RT) so those still rely on Modtek.

Most smaller mods that don't mess with the Mech and vehicle lineup work with Mod Manager.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
I am happy I kickstarted Battletech. I had a lot of fun in this game, and with its 3 DLCs.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Horsebanger posted:

I am happy I kickstarted Battletech. I had a lot of fun in this game, and with its 3 DLCs.

Post ur pilot bio

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm legitimately sad that HBS's run with BattleTech apparently ends with one game. It was obvious how much they love it.

I wonder if Microsoft is just less willing to license out the IP to Paradox, now that HBS is fully owned by them.

In any case it means that :pgi: are now the sole standard bearers for the franchise in the video game sphere, which is.... ugh.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'm legitimately sad that HBS's run with BattleTech apparently ends with one game.

What are we basing this on? Their next two projects aren't Battletech, but I haven't seen anything that says they'll never do another one.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

SpookyLizard posted:

I use the in-game mod manager. Also I tried to do that mod as well, but didn't get very far. How are you planning to do the different armor types? Those and the ammo switching are probably the two biggest issues with a PTN-verse mod. Everything else is just a lot of writing but should be easily doable.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Q_res posted:

What are we basing this on? Their next two projects aren't Battletech, but I haven't seen anything that says they'll never do another one.

Only the reasonable view that if they had a multiple game or time limited access to the Battletech license then the next game would be in production already.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

They just spent 4 years almost solely focused on this game, they're probably a bit burnt out on Battletech, we don't know the specifics of their license either. Maybe they have to negotiate for the license to do a sequel, maybe not. Saying that the fact they're not immediately jumping into a sequel means they'll never do one isn't reasonable, it's just panicky speculation.

edit: On the other hand, this does bring up another question for me. Do we have any idea how successful this actually was? I've long suspected that this game was actually too much for HBS financially, and the Paradox buyout was a matter of necessity.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 12, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Q_res posted:

They just spent 4 years almost solely focused on this game, they're probably a bit burnt out on Battletech, we don't know the specifics of their license either. Maybe they have to negotiate for the license to do a sequel, maybe not. Saying that the fact they're not immediately jumping into a sequel means they'll never do one isn't reasonable, it's just panicky speculation.

This is my take. They seem to really like having made Battletech and none of the people involved seem to be acting like they're bummed out about being ratfucked over IP rights or some garbage like that.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Plus, they were talking about how badly they wanted to do a Crimson Skies game before the donation period for the Kickstarter even finished.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Q_res posted:

Plus, they were talking about how badly they wanted to do a Crimson Skies game before the donation period for the Kickstarter even finished.

!!!!!!

Give me a Crimson Skies game that is part flight arcade sim, part RPG and I would never play anything else

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Mitch has basically said Crimson Skies is nearly impossible for them to do, for reasons I can't recall if he elaborated on.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Honestly, I always kind of figured if they ever did Crimson Skies it would be nothing like the old Xbox game. I was thinking more like Sid Meier's Ace Patrol.

I'll be curious to see what exactly they're working on though.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
HBS should take a break on the BATTLETECH franchise so that they can work on a MECHWARRIORGiant Stompy Robot Simulator/FPS game that bears no relation to the MECHWARRIOR franchise.

In the same way that the Atlas was the mascot for BATTLETECH, the mascot for the aforementioned game that totally isn't Mechwarrior (so you can just gently caress right off with your lawyers PGI) will be the AtlasTitan, which in addition to its gigantic fists carries a Size 4 Heavy Cannon, 4 Size 2 Lasers, a Multi-Missile Launcher (6) and a Long Range Multi-Missile Launcher (20).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Organ Fiend posted:

HBS should take a break on the BATTLETECH franchise so that they can work on a MECHWARRIORGiant Stompy Robot Simulator/FPS game that bears no relation to the MECHWARRIOR franchise.

In the same way that the Atlas was the mascot for BATTLETECH, the mascot for the aforementioned game that totally isn't Mechwarrior (so you can just gently caress right off with your lawyers PGI) will be the AtlasTitan, which in addition to its gigantic fists carries a Size 4 Heavy Cannon, 4 Size 2 Lasers, a Multi-Missile Launcher (6) and a Long Range Multi-Missile Launcher (20).

Mockfighter: Freelancers

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Organ Fiend posted:

Sorry but the mascot should be the Citybot.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

And Tyler Too! posted:

Sorry but the mascot should be the Citybot.

It's about the Cult Invasion campaign, and the poster robo is the Angry Feline/Woods Lupus.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Die, Kinsman

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

HBS should take a break from battletech and work on Crimson Skies :colbert:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

If I had to guess they were working up these post battletech games before they knew whether battletech would succeed or not. If BT was a wild success maybe they would have bailed on one of those and made a BT2.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Radio Free Kobold posted:

HBS should take a break from battletech and work on Crimson Skies Renegade Legion :colbert:

Fixed it for you.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
They're taking a break to work on other things. With luck they'll get back to the franchise eventually and make good use of what they've learned in the interim, but even if they never do HBS games are an instant buy for me. I look forward to see what they're working on next.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Radio Free Kobold posted:

HBS should take a break from battletech and work on [Crimson Skies Terra Nova :colbert:

Ftfy

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HBS have made 8 games in the last ten years. Only one of them wasn't a strategy game and it considered by far the worst (on release). At this point the safe advice would be to stick to what they're clearly good at.

Paradox provides access to a few interesting IPs, I'd like a shadowrun style game set in WOD.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

IIRC the rights to Crimson Skies are still owned by Microsoft.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Organ Fiend posted:

In the same way that the Atlas was the mascot for BATTLETECH, the mascot for the aforementioned game that totally isn't Mechwarrior (so you can just gently caress right off with your lawyers PGI)

their relationship with PGI is good AFAIK. it was anime licensor Harmony Gold that was suing them (and also suing PGI)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

their relationship with PGI is good AFAIK. it was anime licensor Harmony Gold that was suing them (and also suing PGI)

Yeah, PGI is where they got most of the models in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Considering there's only 2 Mechs in the game that aren't PGI models (Hatchetman and Bull Shark), PGI should probably get some real credit for helping make this game what it is.