Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I don't believe any of the leadership candidates could win an election now, but they don't have to. What's important is they be an effective leader of the Opposition who will call out the Tories for their failures and lovely policies and show that there is another way for the country, not some centrist weathervane trying to triangulate the polls. For all the mockery of "we won the conversation", Corbyn did succeed in re-energising the left and steering progressive issues back into the mainstream, and the next leader will have a hand in shaping the narrative for the next election as well.

Also, Labour as a machine is not exactly optimised for winning elections, and hasn't been for years. A good leader can work on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I suspect the polls of members understate RLB's position - a month is a long time to cut into post-defeat gloom to persuade folks to pull a lever, and Corbyn will surely appeal again for her sometime in March

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Honest opinion: Corbyn's problem was that he was insufficiently genuinely left wing, his successor should try the same platform but dump the stuff that is subsidies for the middle class like rail nationalisation and ending tuition fees.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Honest opinion: Corbyn's problem was that he was insufficiently genuinely left wing, his successor should try the same platform but dump the stuff that is subsidies for the middle class like rail nationalisation and ending tuition fees.

Source your quotes

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

All fudge orders have now shipped!

Which was slightly marred by my seeing my first ever fresh corpse (at age 38) on the way to the post office. No idea what happened- I got there as the cops were doing the blanket draping thing. The poor guy wasn’t wearing any shoes, and now I can’t get the image of a pair of totally still bare soles out of my mind.

Not what was expected today to say the least.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Blue Labour's Paul Embery going Maximum Shithead:

https://twitter.com/paulembery/status/1227303622905618432?s=21

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/RLong_Bailey/status/1227618677358505984?s=20

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Nick_elalloy/status/1227500301545918464?s=19

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Stormgale posted:

Source your quotes

No, genuinely.

Look if you dont want to compromise on policy then the takeaway from the election is that voters liked the individual policy pledges but thought that taken together they weren't a credible plan for government. So you dont have to change policy, but you can just cut things until you have something that you think is sellable. Trains and tuition fees are easy because the impact of those pledges was actually pretty regressive.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Alchenar posted:

No, genuinely.

Look if you dont want to compromise on policy then the takeaway from the election is that voters liked the individual policy pledges but thought that taken together they weren't a credible plan for government. So you dont have to change policy, but you can just cut things until you have something that you think is sellable. Trains and tuition fees are easy because the impact of those pledges was actually pretty regressive.

Citation needed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's pretty simple, you can get a car for under a grand in the back of the paper, but a train costs over a million, so any relief on trains will mostly benefit the upper middle class with their two train garages.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

e: fwiw a lot of reponders are intepreting this as "give up hope, face to despair" but like, no, just talk realistically about our chances.

A good question is why is hope defined solely as ‘hoping that RLB will get elected’ rather than ‘hoping that KS will, after being elected, do the right thing?’.

KS loyally supported JC all the way to his 2nd election loss. His personal views appear to be more or less that of the 2017 manifesto, perhaps a bit to the left But, you will see people arguing here that it is absolutely worth losing the next election in order to prevent him becoming leader.

An excessively soft left government is a risk. If anyone seriously wants to claim it is a worse risk than 10 rather than 5 more years of the Tories drifting ever rightwards, then I question their judgement.

Blair and New Labour happened after Thatcher, and because of her. if Blairism is what you hate most in the world, then repeating the process that led to it seems inadvisable.

All the above, of course, do not apply to those who think RLB will prove different to, and more successful than JC. I might well end up voting for her myself on those grounds; I haven’t decided yet.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
https://twitter.com/lloyd_rm/status/1227566234415325185

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Question as I've not been following things too closely. Every time I see an article about Starmer recently he seems to be openly committing to Corbyn-inherited left-wing policies, but every time I click on this thread it seems like people are calling him a centrist Blairite. Not being disingenuous with this, is there strong reason to believe he's a lying fucker?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Rail subsidies are indeed regressive. Much UK inequality is between subregions rather than within subregions, and for rail to make sense, it must interlink areas with large populations, which tend to be the productive cities.

It is nonetheless possible to double down on this on the argument that people from those poor regions can move, as people do, to rich areas and thereby benefit from the infrastructure there, but this is not how politics tends to work.

All this is noise however - the party of trains-and-tuition-fees socdems who desperately want to believe that their middle-class subsidies are actually the stuff of radically principled ideology (DECOMMODIFICATION!) , and the party of those who think this instinct can be thusly channeled into subsidies for the long-term disabled or unemployed, have been in ascendancy for four years and the structural reasons for this ascent don't seem to have changed.

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 12, 2020

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
One of the points of re-nationalising the railways was to make it easier to direct investment into rail infrastructure to combat these inequalities rather than it just flowing to where it is most profitable (ie. already rich areas).

You're gonna have to show more working on why nationalisation is inherently regressive; currently you're not saying much more than the current state of affairs is inequitable which is hardly a revelation to a Corbynista.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

peanut- posted:

Question as I've not been following things too closely. Every time I see an article about Starmer recently he seems to be openly committing to Corbyn-inherited left-wing policies, but every time I click on this thread it seems like people are calling him a centrist Blairite. Not being disingenuous with this, is there strong reason to believe he's a lying fucker?

Look at who's supporting him, and who he's got working on his team. He's going big on "party unity" and the "broad church" thing which has always just been an excuse to shift the party rightward whilst forcing the left to "compromise".

https://jacobinmag.com/2020/02/keir-starmer-labour-party-uk-leadership

quote:

The most right-wing rump of the PLP would be encouraged by a Starmer win. It would suspect, fairly or not, that Starmer is less committed to the left-wing policies which some rightist Labour MPs wasted no time in attacking as the election results were pouring in last month. By recruiting former Corbyn advisers including Simon Fletcher and Kat Fletcher, Starmer is doubtless aiming to reassure the Left about his intentions. Less reassuring, however, is the appointment of Matt Pound — former national organizer for the right-wing Labour First — to Starmer’s campaign team, a move hardly likely to dissuade the PLP right that he could be dragged further in its direction once installed as leader.

quote:

In appointing Pound, a self-proclaimed “full-time” organizer against the “hard left,” Starmer was (presumably deliberately) sending out a message to the Labour right that its concerns would be heeded and its interests tended to if he became party leader.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the argument seems to be that the people who currently use trains and go to university are predominantly middle-class so making those things cheaper/free would only benefit the middle class

the fact there's a hole in this argument big enough to drive an Intercity 125 through doesn't seem to stop people from using it

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Starmer is making a genuine and principled attempt to unify the party by giving both wings what they want - we get left wing policies, and the right get the only thing they actually care about : locking the left out of power forever

e: also there will be no left wing policies

ronya posted:

DECOMMODIFICATION
I don't understand this acronym

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 12, 2020

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

OK, difficult question time. One of the things Ashcroft's focus groups got out of former Labour voters who switched for 2019 was this sort of thing:

quote:

“They’re classing themselves as liberals but won’t let anyone else have a different viewpoint;”
“You’re a bigot if you don’t agree there are 125 different genders;”
“It’s for young people and students, and the unemployed. It used to be for normal working people, who pay for their house, pay for their car;”
“I don’t think they’re interested in supporting single mums, families, but affluent people with plenty of money who don’t need their help. If you’re working class, your priorities are paying the bills, keeping your car on the road, not keeping the swimming pool open or whether your kids have access to university. Middle class people are the ones who appear on Question Time;”
“It used to be that the Conservatives looked after the rich and Labour looked after the working class. Now the Conservatives still look after the rich but Labour look after people on benefits. No-one looks after the middle, the working poor;”
“He was taking us back to the 70s with all the strikes and power cuts. I thought, I don’t want to go that way, we’re a great country. And he would never say ‘we’re a great country’. He would talk about Palestine and all that sort of stuff but nothing positive about Great Britain;”
“They’ve tried to go back to hard left Labour policies that they think represent the working-class man or working-class families, but at the same time working-class families have changed. They’re not the same as they were in the late 70s or early 80s. Policies like renationalising energy providers, I think, that’s what it was like before I was born. It seems a backward attitude;”

There is no route to a majority, or even to a hung parliament, that does not involve winning these constituencies back. Regardless of right or wrong, people who switched away from Labour are saying they're turned off by hearing the Labour Party talking about these things. Is there any possible way of squaring this circle? Are we prepared to accept things like gender self-ID or support for Palestine even being relegated to a page 25-of-the-manifesto thing that the party tries to discuss as little as possible, like (say) the Tories' democracy commission, or local referendums on council tax rises? Or are we stuck with "nope, these are key parts of the offer and if we can't win anything being loud and proud with them, too bad"?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I need to stop looking at Quora.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

if starmer wins i'll stick around and see what happens. part of what I'm trying to take away from 2019 is to not only try not to let my sympathies towards the candidate i like blind me, but to also try to extend a little more sympathy to the candidates i don't like, at least on a provisional basis, on the idea that they're not actually blood drinking psychopaths (well, only about half of them are).
a lot of things people were telling us or warning us under corbyn that i disregarded because they were stupid melt shitheads was actually true. i don't have to accept their conclusions but i'm trying to stop myself just going "oh that blairite said corbyn is unpopular with the electorate? that can't possibly be true thats just media manipulation"

i'm not gonna vote for him because personally i don't like him as a leadership candidate but if he wins I'll give him a modicum of benefit of the doubt

i dunno i'm just rambling while i wait for an email back

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
The nature of the beast is that if Starmer ekes out a contentious victory he will find it practically very difficult to work with the members of RLB's faction, because leading Labour is deliberately structured to be intensely vulnerable to procedural vetoes, petty sabotage, and bad-faith exercise of discretionary powers (measures which, in another light, are called 'democratically decentralizing power away from the leader's office')

and vice-versa if RLB wins

The UK is simply not large enough to simply find a new pool of untainted personnel from elsewhere, either, so their choice in advisors and ops people will tend to naturally limit itself (and, again, vice-versa). And having people to fill back-end careerist roles - poorly paid, horrible hours, where one's main payoff is being able to shape the unexciting stuff which can't get out the membership vote but do substantially govern most of the party's operational life - are what make the party apparatus tick

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

I don't understand this acronym
Declare every Corbynist's opinions mostly monetarist, otherwise distribute information failing to indicate correlation across transport investment as opposed to nationalization.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

Declare every Corbynist's opinions mostly monetarist, otherwise distribute information failing to indicate correlation across transport investment as opposed to nationalization.

.... :golfclap:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Trin Tragula posted:

OK, difficult question time. One of the things Ashcroft's focus groups got out of former Labour voters who switched for 2019 was this sort of thing:

There is no route to a majority, or even to a hung parliament, that does not involve winning these constituencies back. Regardless of right or wrong, people who switched away from Labour are saying they're turned off by hearing the Labour Party talking about these things. Is there any possible way of squaring this circle? Are we prepared to accept things like gender self-ID or support for Palestine even being relegated to a page 25-of-the-manifesto thing that the party tries to discuss as little as possible, like (say) the Tories' democracy commission, or local referendums on council tax rises? Or are we stuck with "nope, these are key parts of the offer and if we can't win anything being loud and proud with them, too bad"?

i think the trans issue you have to come down on the side of the trans community just because its the only right and human thing to do. i do think its probably more unpopular than popular with the electorate though just cause britain is terfy as gently caress. hopefully not enough to actually lose any proper votes though.

i would however be perfectly happy with labour shutting the gently caress up about israel and palestine forever, even though its one of my pet issues. its not our country and has gently caress all to do with our party and only hurts us and makes us look insane. should israeli ethno-nationalism be resisted? absolutely. is that the place of the leader of the labour party? lol no

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

radmonger posted:

A good question is why is hope defined solely as ‘hoping that RLB will get elected’ rather than ‘hoping that KS will, after being elected, do the right thing?’.

KS loyally supported JC all the way to his 2nd election loss. His personal views appear to be more or less that of the 2017 manifesto, perhaps a bit to the left But, you will see people arguing here that it is absolutely worth losing the next election in order to prevent him becoming leader.

My hope is that Boris tears off his face mask and it's Lenin.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Trin Tragula posted:

If they're there at all, they will be key parts of the discussion, regardless of whether they're on page 25 in size 2 font, or page 1 in size 50. The media is what sets the narrative, and if leftist/progressive policy is there to see at all, and it must be to keep the membership engaged, it will be the forefront of the discussion precisely because it annoys these people.

There is no route to an electoral victory that doesn't involve some way around that fact.

It's also probably worth noting that there are direct, explicit contradictions between people in those select few quotes alone - it's literally impossible to please all of them.

Hell, Israel/Palestine will be part of the discussion even if it's NOT in the manifesto, simply because it's been so effective as a stick to beaat Labour with previously. We have to be able to answer it to make progress, because it's never not going to be asked again.

What that answer is, I haven't a fuuuuucking clue.

But then, I'm still pretty unconvinced that there's a route to long-term improvement in electoralism at all.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Another point: Corbyn/McDonnell could make significant concessions to anti-immigration sentiment, City fears, private schools, austerity and welfare cuts, Brexit, etc. without supporters revolting. Remember when Corbyn went to the polls with a manifesto which actually kept more of the Welfare Reform and Work cuts than the Lib Dem manifesto?

I don't think RLB would be given the same degree of largesse, never mind Starmer...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Communist Thoughts posted:

i would however be perfectly happy with labour shutting the gently caress up about israel and palestine forever, even though its one of my pet issues. its not our country and has gently caress all to do with our party and only hurts us and makes us look insane. should israeli ethno-nationalism be resisted? absolutely. is that the place of the leader of the labour party? lol no
It should probably be done through policy and not public shouting, in the same way that Tories funnel billions to hardline Islamic autocracies in the Middle East but never talk about it.

Having a press that never challenges you on funneling billions to hardline Islamic autocracies in the Middle East helps too though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

w0o0o0o posted:

URGH don't remind me

welcome to team GB

now what does URGH stand for

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Trin Tragula posted:

It depends on what you mean by 'are we stuck with them'; if you mean should we pick our battles then yes absolutely. It's not always in our control though.

If you mean should we give up and assent to something we know to be morally wrong in order to (maybe) win, then no absolutely loving not.

Sooner or later you have to make an unpopular idea popular through political campaigning and communication, you cannot escape this. Change can and will come with sustained effort it just takes time, and it doesn't always correspond with electoral success.

So many people seem to be tempted by this idea that you can just say whatever you need to say to take power and then do a double-cross to do Actual Good poo poo (TM) but it's it's cart before horse. The main work of enacting change is the consensus building that culminates in you getting elected, passing the actual law from high office is just the cherry on top.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Trin Tragula posted:

And this comes back to the "do you work with the electoral ground you have or try and change it?" problem. And of course 'giving the electorate what they want' so often means doing or supporting something that's flat-out wrong.

Speaking of flat-out wrong:

quote:

“They’re classing themselves as liberals but won’t let anyone else have a different viewpoint;”
“You’re a bigot if you don’t agree there are 125 different genders;”
“It’s for young people and students, and the unemployed. It used to be for normal working people, who pay for their house, pay for their car;”
“I don’t think they’re interested in supporting single mums, families, but affluent people with plenty of money who don’t need their help. If you’re working class, your priorities are paying the bills, keeping your car on the road, not keeping the swimming pool open or whether your kids have access to university. Middle class people are the ones who appear on Question Time;”
“It used to be that the Conservatives looked after the rich and Labour looked after the working class. Now the Conservatives still look after the rich but Labour look after people on benefits. No-one looks after the middle, the working poor;”
He was taking us back to the 70s with all the strikes and power cuts. I thought, I don’t want to go that way, we’re a great country. And he would never say ‘we’re a great country’. He would talk about Palestine and all that sort of stuff but nothing positive about Great Britain;”
“They’ve tried to go back to hard left Labour policies that they think represent the working-class man or working-class families, but at the same time working-class families have changed. They’re not the same as they were in the late 70s or early 80s. Policies like renationalising energy providers, I think, that’s what it was like before I was born. It seems a backward attitude;

All the bold bits are Just Wrong, and stuff that Labour's platform would directly help with or address. It's just that any pro-Labour viewpoint (or even a viewpoint which tries to accurately and dispassionately lay out what Labour is trying to do) gets drowned out by the majority of the press which just makes stuff up so a lot of what should be Labour's core voter pool think that Jeremy Corbyn Is Going To Give Your House To Trans-gender Syrian Refugees On Benefits.

I mean, ffs, "energy providers were nationalised in the past, so renationalising them is a backward step" - who the gently caress do these people think owned the electricity companies, the railways, the water supply etc. before they were nationalised? Going back to the 1970s (or, hurr-hurr, the supposed-golden-age of the 1950s) is too regressive but going back to the 1890s is fine...

I know there was talk in the thread about whether a left-leading Labour Party can ever usefully or properly play the patriotism/nationalism card. In theory there should be plenty of scope to say that a 2017/2019-esque Labour platform would make Britain a country with a lot to be genuinely proud of. It was one of the things that made the GE results generate such an emotional kick-in-the-balls for me, as I was (without really realising it) quite looking forward to living in a country which had eliminated homelessness, took national infrastructure into national hands for the greater good, shared medical patents with the world, in some small way faced up to the bad bits of is history, poured effort into sorting out climate change and green technology etc. etc. Those are the sort of things which, since I still class myself as some sort of patriot, would actually get me feeling patriotic.

But it seems you can't even try that tack, because the media and, to be frank, wider society, don't want to hear that sort of "New Jerusalem" sort of patriotism. They want to hear that Britain is The Greatest And Lovliest Country Ever Right Now And Nothing Needs To Change Except Expelling The Foreigns. So no left-wing leader will ever satisy someone who wants a would-be-PM to stand up and talk about how great Britain is, because the entire platform rests on the fact that right now it's pretty poo poo in many ways but could be so much better.

I dunno. I don't have the answers. And no-one seems to have come up with any that stick in the past 100+ years.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Can someone try this for me and report back.

https://twitter.com/marmite/status/1227191402007793664

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

It should probably be done through policy and not public shouting, in the same way that Tories funnel billions to hardline Islamic autocracies in the Middle East but never talk about it.

Having a press that never challenges you on funneling billions to hardline Islamic autocracies in the Middle East helps too though.

once you start down the merry path of peace thorough policy - quid pro quos and de-escalation and deliberate ambiguities - you inevitably stop confronting regional power brokers so that they can retain the support of their own respective camps whilst coming to your particular favoured table

if you care about historic injustice, it's going to be a bitter pill to swallow. Bobby didn't die for power-sharing, as his sister later said

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

But it seems you can't even try that tack, because the media and, to be frank, wider society, don't want to hear that sort of "New Jerusalem" sort of patriotism. They want to hear that Britain is The Greatest And Lovliest Country Ever Right Now And Nothing Needs To Change Except Expelling The Foreigns. So no left-wing leader will ever satisy someone who wants a would-be-PM to stand up and talk about how great Britain is, because the entire platform rests on the fact that right now it's pretty poo poo in many ways but could be so much better.
otoh the whole of Brexit was run on a "Britain bad now because EU, Britain could good." and appeals to "Britain's doing fine" didn't resonate with people.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jippa posted:

Can someone try this for me and report back.

https://twitter.com/marmite/status/1227191402007793664

I mean, you can get the exact same effect by spreading a layer of peanut butter over a layer of marmite. In that sense I've already tried it. It's good. Peanut butter goes with everything.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

WhatEvil posted:

I mean, you can get the exact same effect by spreading a layer of peanut butter over a layer of marmite. In that sense I've already tried it. It's good. Peanut butter goes with everything.

That's all the encouragement I need.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ronya posted:

I suspect the polls of members understate RLB's position - a month is a long time to cut into post-defeat gloom to persuade folks to pull a lever

This isnt America :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ronya posted:

It is nonetheless possible to double down on this on the argument that people from those poor regions can move, as people do, to rich areas and thereby benefit from the infrastructure there, but this is not how politics tends to work.

Apologies if I have misunderstood, but are you saying people from poor regions can simply move?

For me to walk into a flat in my sleepy little town 4 years ago cost £1600 upfront - deposit, month's rent in advance, nearly £200 for referencing fees and as I didn't have an employer, it was only because my dad had recently died and I had a temporarily large bank account balance to shove under the reference agency nose that I was able to pass the 'referencing'.
My nephew was looking to move to Bristol a couple of years ago and there you needed £3k upfront.
So they've capped or cut referencing fees, but that is small beer compared to the total needed.

It's catch 22 - if you can't reach the higher paying jobs in cities by public transport to save deposits and so forth, you can't afford to move to said cities to get the better paid jobs in the better infrastructure. I worked in a local pub for a few months after I moved into this town (mother's in her 80s, I kinda have to be here) and every single person working in that pub had degrees. What none of them had was wealthy parents who could (a) afford to pay for them to have driving lessons (b) afford to buy them a car (c) afford to lend them money to get a deposit to rent - let alone buy - a home in a city.