Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Very sorry to hear that! I like the heart on the cast and what appears to be a dog tent (?)

Best wishes to Gello!

It's very clearly a pup tent. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

It's very clearly a pup tent. :v:

It's a foldable crate, very useful when we go on holiday and she needs a safe space that's not the bed. As you can see, she loves having existential crises in it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sending all the good wishes to Gello! Lumps are always a huge worry, but they pretty often turn out to be fatty masses.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
We said goodbye to Louis yesterday. I posted a bit back, he had cancer of the neural sheaths of his nerves which made him lame in one leg. It spread to his others and while he could still move for the most part the last day before we made the call he only got up once all day. We decided it wasn’t fair to him.

We found a vet call out service as he hates the clinic and is petrified of it. We didn’t want that to be his or our last memory of him so it was actually quite nice and peaceful in the end. The vet was extremely patient and understanding.

His brother (not really but adopted hound brother) Joey has been moping ever since so we are trying to keep our normal routine. We have a daughter who is just over one year old so she is keeping us cheerful too.

I know we gave him a great life after we adopted him from the ex racing program and that’s what we have to focus on. Still hurts though.

Louis (Left) with his brother Joey (Right)

Louis in probably his most luxurious glamour shot ever.

We got his racing record when we adopted him and even though I hate Greyhound racing I couldn't help but laugh. $0 prize money, 10 races, 2 finishes. Not wins, or places. Finishes. It means 8 times he raced he never found the finish line!

he always kept trying to get into the chocolates so the vet suggested to put a couple of chocolates in the bag before they took him to the crematorium so he'd have them for the other side. I'm usually not a sentimental guy / I don't care about that stuff but it felt good at the time.

Sorry for the downer post but I lurk this thread a lot and it felt good to put this down. Thanks guys.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Aw drat, Louis looks like he was a real good boy :sympathy: you’re a hero for getting the call out, giving your dog a timely and comfortable send off is one of the kindest things you ever do for them

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Louis may not have been a racing winner, but it sounds like he won at life. I'm very sorry for your loss.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Radiation Cow posted:

Louis may not have been a racing winner, but it sounds like he won at life. I'm very sorry for your loss.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Very sorry to hear about Louis friend. These greyhounds are more than just pets, they are members of our family. I'm sure you gave him the best possible life. Take care of yourself.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I so sorry to hear about your Louis. I’m sure he knew he was a treasured family member. You did what was needed in the kindest way possible.

Radiation Cow, I love Gello and I hope his biopsy comes back clear!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Any thoughts on how much water to be giving Abby since she has the whole "confused old dog brain" and feels thirsty constantly? That's what the vet said, i.e. she isn't actually dehydrated, her kidneys are fine, etc. I'm going to not leave any out while at work and also after her last bathroom break of the evening. Unfortunately I will also have to keep the bathroom door closed so she doesn't drink out of the toilet... (she never did that before)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

Any thoughts on how much water to be giving Abby since she has the whole "confused old dog brain" and feels thirsty constantly? That's what the vet said, i.e. she isn't actually dehydrated, her kidneys are fine, etc. I'm going to not leave any out while at work and also after her last bathroom break of the evening. Unfortunately I will also have to keep the bathroom door closed so she doesn't drink out of the toilet... (she never did that before)

When Sparty had his weird water issues we just let him drink as much as he wanted about 15 minutes before we left, and then took it away. It seemed to mostly work, though it was a lot better once we got him on food that didn't load up his kidneys as much.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
So sorry to hear about Louis though I'm glad you still have Joey around. It helps.

I know it is rough letting him go but I know this is sappy, but I know he'll always be there with you in spirit.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Spoke to the vet again and it's definitely cancer. We're hoping to get it removed in this week. In good news, the vet says her other vitals are good, her lymph nodes are still okay, so she's not in like, terminal cancer mode. Yay?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ah gently caress, I’m so sorry to hear that :smith: hows her injured leg doing?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Her other leg is fine. Bandages came off today and she's raring to go hunting squirrels again. I don't think she realizes she's on-leash for the foreseeable future until the stitches come out. I also don't think she realizes she's been injured, silly billy.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Radiation Cow posted:

Spoke to the vet again and it's definitely cancer. We're hoping to get it removed in this week. In good news, the vet says her other vitals are good, her lymph nodes are still okay, so she's not in like, terminal cancer mode. Yay?

I'm sorry that it's cancer but I'm glad it sounds like they caught it early! :confuoot:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Very sorry to hear that, hope they can get it all out!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Anyone use washable pee pads?

https://petparentsbrand.com/products/puppy-pads

I think I'm going to have to give it a go. Abby is 12 so she's having a lot more accidents, and last night she peed on her bed which she has never done ever.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I saw a thing that’s basically a patch of astroturf with a washable collecting tray underneath, it might be a good idea although if abby can’t get out of bed in time it might not be too useful

Abby :smith:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sparty peed last night too. He peed the dog bed but it wasn't where he was sleeping (our bed, thank goodness) just where he felt safe jumping down and letting loose

I'm hoping it was just he drank a bunch of water before bed and we didn't let him out enough

Good luck Abby!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Well, I keep something up to block the exit so that she can just wake me up instead of just going out and peeing in her usual spot when it happens, but that failed here. I think it's better to just have the pad out there.

She seems annoyed that I've taken the water away for the evening.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

maybe also worth checking for a uti? the antibiotics (also some behavioural changes) have stopped Bonnie's accidents

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Anyone use washable pee pads?

https://petparentsbrand.com/products/puppy-pads

I think I'm going to have to give it a go. Abby is 12 so she's having a lot more accidents, and last night she peed on her bed which she has never done ever.

Poor Abby. Is it because of the cold as well or do you think it's solely down to age?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

In double post-worthy news: IT'S NOT CANCER!! :woop:

The biopsy came back and it's an infection of some sort. Vet is unsure what type of infection, so we're cutting the whole thing out and they'll culture it. He thinks antibiotics alone won't be enough, since it sprung up so quickly. The likely culprit? A puncture wound from running in the forest that got infected. She's going in for hopefully the final operation tomorrow and we can put this entire debacle behind us.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:toot: :D :woop:

Yay Gello!

Gello needs burg for being a good goblin

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

:toot: :D :woop:

Yay Gello!

Gello needs burg for being a good goblin because Gello

:burger:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Radiation Cow posted:

Poor Abby. Is it because of the cold as well or do you think it's solely down to age?

congrats on the not cancer!

The cold could definitely be a factor as well.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh wow, Gello is a lucky pup, that's for sure! Amazing news - DEFINITELY burg-worthy! :D

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Thanks for the well wishes, guys. Gello will definitely get a burg tomorrow. Vet says it was a difficult surgery and now she has to wear a cone for two weeks! She is already plotting our demise.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh no, the cone of shame

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'd feel bad for Gello but I'm just so relieved she's gonna be okay

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

gelLOOOOOOOO yea gurl

I also love Abbyabbyabby

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

She just moved onto my spot when I got up!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i can’t recommend the comfy cone highly enough, if your pupper really hates the big cone. bonnie really doesn’t mind this at all (although the velcro made her jump the first couple of times we took it off) and she haaaaaaaaated the plastic cone

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

i can’t recommend the comfy cone highly enough, if your pupper really hates the big cone. bonnie really doesn’t mind this at all (although the velcro made her jump the first couple of times we took it off) and she haaaaaaaaated the plastic cone

Oh sweet, thanks for that. Gello absolutely loathes the cone, and it messes with her walking and peripheral vision. Also, I'm pretty sure she could just take her head out of it if she tried.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd feel bad for Gello but I'm just so relieved she's gonna be okay

This is 100% how I feel. She's wallowing in self-pity at the moment, but we all know it's for the best. I think she's going to struggle with the 'no walkies for two weeks' rule though.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

You can stop the walkies but there’s no force on earth stopping the zoomies

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

You can stop the walkies but there’s no force on earth stopping the zoomies

Abby saw a neighbor and just ran over, tail wagging, so happy. I really enjoyed it - even at 12 she still can get plenty of speed going.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I wish I was a rich person, I would be able to quit my job.

And take little trips to visit every good longboye and longgirle in this thread

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bonnie would be happy to accept your pets and treats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Just chuck a treat right in that long chomper