Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

FancyMike posted:

The way Bi Gan is working with time and memories reminds me a lot of Hou, especially Millenium Mambo.

Am I remembering right that he lists Kung Fu Hustle as his favorite Stephen Chow? If so that's some very good taste. I haven't seen The Mermaid or King of Comedy yet, but Chow's Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons is fantastic. And as an actor he is great in Jeffrey Lau's A Chinese Odyssey Part One and Two. I'd recommend checking those, and the (unrelated) Chinese Odyssey 2002 on criterion channel, especially to any Wong Kar-wai fans.

Yep he namedrops Kung Fu Hustle specifically in this short interview. It made me laugh a little..like if Ari Aster brought up Mel Brooks in his influences or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone catch Color Out of Space yet?

I saw two thirds of it and was enjoying it enough that I found a good stopping point because I wasn't able to give the film the attention it deserves.

It's good, slow and creepy, at least what I saw, and I want to finish it when I can.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jack B Nimble posted:

I saw two thirds of it and was enjoying it enough that I found a good stopping point because I wasn't able to give the film the attention it deserves.

It's good, slow and creepy, at least what I saw, and I want to finish it when I can.

Please do because from what I know the last 15% is pretty wild and I hear conflicting things about if it works. It’s not playing anywhere near me.

The Rhythm Section - 3.5/5

Pretty solid action thriller carrier mostly by the direction and Blake Lively because the plot and screenplay are sparse and dull.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Uncut Gems
B+

It was a good movie and very well acted especially by Kevin Garnett which was a nice surprise. It was a little too manic from start to finish, which I understand is to mimic the main characters obvious anxiety, but it became a little grating to watch. Sandler was good. The ending was telegraphed, but still worked.

I hated the music, not on its own, but the 80s synth just didnt feel like it belonged in this movie.

I was disappointed that it was less about diamond district crime or gems and more about sports gambling.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

TommyGun85 posted:

[b]Uncut Gems
I hated the music, not on its own, but the 80s synth just didnt feel like it belonged in this movie.

Ouch. That poo poo's contemporary, goon. I take it you've not run across any one of OHP's dozen or so albums yet?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
See Birds of Prey if you want to see a wildly inconsistent film that I think ultimately ends up on the side of "decent winter action flick"

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Ouch. That poo poo's contemporary, goon. I take it you've not run across any one of OHP's dozen or so albums yet?

Never even heard of them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TommyGun85 posted:

Never even heard of them.

lol wrong acronym on my part.

The guy who did the soundtrack to Uncut Gems and Good Time has a music project called Oneohtrix Point Never. Worth looking up if you like electronic music at all.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mandy just didn't work for me at all. The stylized visuals were interesting but didn't end up being actually good. The acting is Nicholas Cage at his most. Neon Demon did it better. 2/5.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Night Shift 6/10. A comedy that wants to be a heart warming drama/character study and takes too long to set up the ridiculous plot. Outside of that both Henry Winkler and Micheal Keaton give great performances in this, and it is Keaton's theatrical debut as well. Might also be Ron Howard's first theatrical film as a director if I'm reading imdb right. Still very much a product of the time though as it would certainly be difficult to make a sex comedy like this one again. For the uninitiated: two guys working the night shift at the city morgue wind up running a prostitution ring on the side.

Walk Hard: the Dewey Cox Story 0/10. Even parodies can be too on the nose and this one has no tact, because they, well, turned it up to 11. There's very few nonsensical repeating gags ("cut in half with a machete"/"the wrong kid died") and they hammer them into you super hard, and when those fail they go for the cheap sex joke. And I mean "lets have a penis on screen because lol dicks, cocks, and Cox!" shock value type cheap. This is supposed to be a music biopic parody influenced by Walk the Line specifically, but it just comes off as a bigger budget Epic Movie/Scary Movie/Disaster Movie/all those ______ Movies that pretty well killed straight parody films for a while.

Note to self: do a better job picking DVDs off the thrift store shelf next time.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
The Irishman
A-

I was finally able to dedicate 3.5 hours to watching this thing. It was very good and everything you should expect from a M.S. film. Acting was great. The facial CG de-aging was never a distraction except maybe in the beginning when it was noticeable.

It was too long. I feel like several threads could have been removed including the subplot with his daughter. There were numerous scenes with her just to ultimately show the deterioration of their relationship. This is also explained with another daughter in one line, so its strange to dedicate so much time to one of them despite her fondness of Hoffa.

I didnt know when watching it that it was based on a 'true account' of the Hoffa mystery. Another reviewer summed up my feeling thst it felt like Mob Forest Gump.

It was great to see De Niro, Pacino and Pesci together and both Ray Romano and Sebastian Maniscalco were good in their roles.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

You Were Never Really Here 8/10

This one takes a while to get going, but then it hits like a ton of bricks. Joaquin Phoenix sells untreated PTSD pretty well, with mostly neutral affect throughout the movie, punctuated by bursts of violence. The impromptu DIY funeral for his mother at the lake was especially impactful. Won't lie, I was ugly-crying.

The soundtrack was on point too. A mix of 1950s love ballads and modern electronica.

The only substantive criticism I can offer is that the flashback sequences to the main character experiencing domestic abuse as a child were disjointed enough that I had a hard time puzzling out that they represented a repressed memory.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
Doctor Sleep

An adaptation of a sequel to a book that is less famous than its film adaptation, and this adaptation references the original adaptation more than the original book, which is despised by the author who wrote the books, and somehow, at the end of all of it, it's more or less an anime fanfilm. 3.5/5

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sloth Socks posted:

Doctor Sleep

An adaptation of a sequel to a book that is less famous than its film adaptation, and this adaptation references the original adaptation more than the original book, which is despised by the author who wrote the books, and somehow, at the end of all of it, it's more or less an anime fanfilm. 3.5/5

this is my favorite review in this thread!

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Parasite
A

A spectacular movie. I am very glad the original Korean version was distributed internationally and it wasnt just remade 'for American audiences'.

Regarding the ending:

When the son starts talking about buying the house and then it shows him reuniting with his father, I thought "Oh no, they botched the landing", but then the final shot of him in the basement implying he will never be able to buy the house and cross that social gap hit the nail right on the head.

Regarding the Oscar win:

It is extremely ironic that the social economic gap at the core of the movie was praised so highly by people who will never truly understand it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TommyGun85 posted:

Parasite
A

A spectacular movie. I am very glad the original Korean version was distributed internationally and it wasnt just remade 'for American audiences'.

Regarding the ending:

When the son starts talking about buying the house and then it shows him reuniting with his father, I thought "Oh no, they botched the landing", but then the final shot of him in the basement implying he will never be able to buy the house and cross that social gap hit the nail right on the head.

Regarding the Oscar win:

It is extremely ironic that the social economic gap at the core of the movie was praised so highly by people who will never truly understand it.

It was also funded by literally an oligarch heiress. lol

I saw Honeyland last night.

What a punch in the loving gut this film was. This has been such a great year for movies about capitalism and the way markets corrupt people. I'm always just stunned about how films like this get made but this was BY FAR the best documentary of 2019.

5/5

Also saw Queen and Slim

The 2 leads should've both been nominated for something. I was not aware of Jodie Turner-Smith before this film and she's a STAR. I didn't love the end and thought the film was a little heavy handed but overall, good.

3.5/5

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 11, 2020

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

mcmagic posted:

It was also funded by literally an oligarch heiress. lol

Maybe thats why the rich people are portrayed as being genuinly nice, if naive people in the film.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Three recent ones for me (rated out of 100):

Funny Games (2008) - 99
The Dead Don't Die - 48
Joker - 47

EDIT:

TommyGun85 posted:

Maybe thats why the rich people are portrayed as being genuinly nice, if naive people in the film.

I think that was actually a deliberate choice making an important point. There's one scene - I think when the rich people are off camping and the lower class family has taken over and semi-trashed the house - when they pretty much spell out that point by talking about how much easier it is to be a nice and good person when you're rich because you don't have to sacrifice as much for it. This is expounded upon by the whole conflict between the lower class family and the maid/basement dweller couple, who basically have to fight each other for the right to be "parasites" and feed off of the money that the rich family pays them for employment.

Izzhov fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 12, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Izzhov posted:

Three recent ones for me (rated out of 100):

Funny Games (2008) - 99
The Dead Don't Die - 48
Joker - 47

I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see Joker that far down, but I am curious why/

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

piratepilates posted:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see Joker that far down, but I am curious why/

One thing I should clarify is that I use the whole scale, so 47 shouldn't be considered a "bad" score per se - more of a "meh, not great, not terrible" (or in this case - I really liked some parts and disliked others). Watching Joker was a pretty interesting experience for me, because for a very high percentage of Arthur's lines, when I played them back in my head, I'd realize, "wow, that is actually terrible writing," but Joaquin just has such an incredible performance that he really sells it. If it hadn't been for him, this score would have been much lower for sure. At the same time, despite much of the dialogue itself being bad, and much about the plot being annoyingly ham-fisted like (just as one example) beating you over the head with the idea that the girl wasn't there with him after all, like we get it, you don't need to keep showing us, the overall story does a decent enough job selling me on its messages. I was pretty moved by "You get what you loving deserve!" So yeah, pretty ambivalent overall, with the overwrought simplicity and boneheadedness only just slightly outweighing its often-effective delivery and presentation for me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Izzhov posted:

"wow, that is actually terrible writing," but Joaquin just has such an incredible performance that he really sells it.

That sums up the entire movie really. It's such an unoriginal and lazy screenplay but Joaquin carries the load of crap so loving hard. He wasn't the best performance of the year but easily the biggest performance:movie quality discrepancy I can remember in the past decade.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Izzhov posted:

I think that was actually a deliberate choice making an important point. There's one scene - I think when the rich people are off camping and the lower class family has taken over and semi-trashed the house - when they pretty much spell out that point by talking about how much easier it is to be a nice and good person when you're rich because you don't have to sacrifice as much for it. This is expounded upon by the whole conflict between the lower class family and the maid/basement dweller couple, who basically have to fight each other for the right to be "parasites" and feed off of the money that the rich family pays them for employment.

The rich people are parasites hth

Rich people funding the film while apparently blind to this fact is a top tier self-own

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

How do you come out thinking that movie makes the rich look good and nice and missing the entire point and critical line of the scene you quoted or pivotal moment in the climax?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Who are you asking?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone who thought the rich come out looking good (not you)

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone who thought the rich come out looking good (not you)

:confused: who in this thread is saying this

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tommygun and Izzhov

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Tommygun and Izzhov

I didnt say they come off looking good, I said thry are portrayed as being nice, but naive which is a core theme of the movie and part of its tragedy. The rich people are shown to be pretty nice people, but a product of their surroundings so they are insensitive to poor people (such as their smell) and live in their own bubble. They treat each other well and care for their children's well-being.

The movie is contrasting how different the parasites are compared to the rich. The parasites will do anything to survive while the rich simply do not need to stoop to those levels and are therefore perceived as being good people for it.

The climax the rich family wants to get their son to the hospital as he has collapsed from a seizure and shows a moment of insensitivity to the smell of the dead parasite which sparks Mr. Kim. It is a situation that is not intended to paint anyone at fault for the escalation. The moral is that people from different economic backgrounds just dont understand each other and it doesnt necessarily make them evil.

e: for comparison of the movies portrayal:

the parasites get innocent people fired, lie their way into the family, feed off of them and then resort to murder.

The rich family cares for yheir kids, treats their workers with respect, but are insensitive and one of them gets murdered for it. They dont need to resort to murder or fraud because their status doesnt require them to.

Its more complicated than rich = bad.

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 12, 2020

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

TommyGun85 posted:

The rich family cares for yheir kids, treats their workers with respect, but are insensitive and one of them gets murdered for it. They dont need to resort to murder or fraud because their status doesnt require them to.

???

I don't know how you can watch Ki-jeong find success in 'tutoring' the son by literally just playing babysitter and take away that the rich family care for children adequately.

Also, the father repeated refuses to engage with his employee as a human being. Every time Ki-Taek tries to build some rapport, its considered crossing the line.

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 12, 2020

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

fancy stats posted:

???

I don't know how you can watch Ki-jeong find success in 'tutoring' the son by literally just playing babysitter and take away that the rich family care for children adequately.

Also, the father repeated refuses to engage with his employee as a human being. Every time Ki-Taek tries to build some rapport, its considered crossing the line.

Once again, this is to highlight the class division, not to portray one as being good or bad.

Anyways, I dont feel like arguing so we'll just say we each took away different messages from this movie.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TommyGun85 posted:

Once again, this is to highlight the class division, not to portray one as being good or bad.

Anyways, I dont feel like arguing so we'll just say we each took away different messages from this movie.

Yeah we’ll agree that it went way over your head

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The rich people are parasites hth

Rich people funding the film while apparently blind to this fact is a top tier self-own

Fair enough, that wasn't really relevant to the main point I was making.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The key line of that scene is the mom saying “I would be nicer” because she sees through the veneer of fake niceties from them. The entire climax is driven by the father coming to the same realization and being fed up with being treated as vermin. The whole point of the conflict between the underclass is that they should have class solidarity instead of fighting one another but capitalism makes that hard to see because they’re busy just getting by.

The rich people are not portrayed as “genuinely nice” and that was not a “deliberate choice and important point”

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Bottom Liner posted:

The key line of that scene is the mom saying “I would be nicer” because she sees through the veneer of fake niceties from them. The entire climax is driven by the father coming to the same realization and being fed up with being treated as vermin. The whole point of the conflict between the underclass is that they should have class solidarity instead of fighting one another but capitalism makes that hard to see because they’re busy just getting by.

The rich people are not portrayed as “genuinely nice” and that was not a “deliberate choice and important point”

Yeah, nice probably isn't the right word for it - "polite" would probably be more accurate. Funnily enough, Funny Games which I saw recently deals with a very similar issue, satirizing and deconstructing the use of politeness to justify high social status.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really don't think it's unfair to say the rich family in Parasite is portrayed as being generally pretty nice and some of you just seem eager to dunk on someone for being wrong about a movie.

Like if you've seen Okja you know the director is not really shy about showing his villians as over the top monsters. His movie's aren't subtle. They are shown as being very nice within the range what is expected of them. They at no point in the movie think they're doing anything wrong and are completely unaware when they cross lines because they are unaware those lines exist and no one has ever given them a single reason to care.

This isn't to say it shows them as being particularly good people but they are just shown as people doing the best they can in a system that favors them. It's a movie where a family does a bunch of morally dubious things to try to just be able to survive in an immoral system that allows a different family to not even be aware of their cruelty.

Just in general by making it harder to define the rich family as villians, it makes it harder to focus on them as the problem rather than the system itself.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I'm not saying that the rich family are villains, I was just bouncing off the takeaway that they are genuinely nice but naive. They're bad people who are given the ability to be ignorant of the fact by a society that will never press them on it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Parasite is his most subtle movie yet and arguably why it’s so great but if you see the rich as anything other than vile you’re missing the point because it’s pretty explicit. The whole point is that they seem naive and generous but they’re gross and dehumanize those below them. They are the benefactors (and parasites) of the systems but also go beyond that and treat their servants like property.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

axelblaze posted:

Just in general by making it harder to define the rich family as villians, it makes it harder to focus on them as the problem rather than the system itself.

Yeah, I think this hits the nail on the head. What makes Parasite such a great film is the fact that it takes such great pains to ensure that any individual person is not portrayed as inherently evil or whatever, but rather shows us that it's the system that's hosed up (and causes all parties involved to engage in hosed up behavior to some extent). It's all meant to some extent to criticize the traditional concept of morality by pointing out how so much of someone's moral capacity (as it's traditionally defined) is actually dependent on factors out of their control, namely the situation and circumstances you find themselves in in society. That's what I think is trying to be conveyed by "if I were as rich as her, I'd be nice, too."

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Bottom Liner posted:

Parasite is his most subtle movie yet and arguably why it’s so great but if you see the rich as anything other than vile you’re missing the point because it’s pretty explicit. The whole point is that they seem naive and generous but they’re gross and dehumanize those below them.

I agree that the behavior of the rich family in this film is vile, but I think the movie takes pains to show us why they don't realize that fact, thereby directing us to blame the system for shielding them from learning the consequences of their actions, rather than the people themselves for being ignorant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

fancy stats posted:

I'm not saying that the rich family are villains, I was just bouncing off the takeaway that they are genuinely nice but naive. They're bad people who are given the ability to be ignorant of the fact by a society that will never press them on it.

my argument is that they are not bad people, they are good (but flawed) people and agree with the rest of your argument that they are given the ability to be ignorant of the fact by a society that will never press them on it.

Please give me examples of them being inherently 'bad'. Being insensitive or misunderstanding people based on social class doesnt make you a bad person.

Both groups are extremely flawed in ways that reflect their social classes, but they are both good just trying to do what they believe is right. The point is that the rich dont have to resort to the levels that the poor do.

Anyways, Im over it. Maybe it did 'go over my head'.