Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

Google leaving

Even Google started developing a prototype censored search engine to get back into the Chinese market and only shut it down after internal conflicts. Not surprisingly companies and governments value money over human rights etc. and all bow before that sweet sweet Chinese market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Alan Smithee posted:

Google leaving

I don't know if I would give that one to Google. A salesman is likely to leave as well if you steal his samples, and then slam your door in his face.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
It's a similar situation to Saudi Arabia, in that the biggest hope for peace in the region is just waiting for their economies to futz out.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

WarpedNaba posted:

It's a similar situation to Saudi Arabia, in that the biggest hope for peace in the region is just waiting for their economies to futz out.

Not gonna happen soon :(

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

if the saudi economy ever futzes out the whole country will almost certainly descend into an apocalyptic civil war that will make Syria look like a picnic sooo

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

d0s posted:

I can kinda understand the strategy with companies, they know that it will be an easy win because they react in a predictable way to keep making money. The attitude towards smaller nations as a whole like this thing with Denmark is what seems completely senseless, because there's no way the answer is going to be anything but "lol no", drawing more attention and praise to the artist. I thought it might be for internal propaganda purposes (big daddy China pushing around the hated west! just don't mention the response) but are they really drawing attention to the fact that HK protestors are inspiring artists on the other side of the world in the state media?

This is a component, as the CCP always needs a scapegoat/villain to keep the people distracted with. "Economy is in the crapper and you have not been paid for a month because of Coronavirus? HEY LOOK OVER THERE! There are some foreigners disrespecting us!"

It doesn't matter that the CCP can't make some art disappear. All that is important is that everyone in China knows that the west wants to keep them down, and the best hope is Uncle Xi and his "thought".

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lawson posted:

Can anybody read this? This is green tea with a pleasant smoke aroma. It was given to me by somebody who traveled to China, but doesn't speak the language. I'd like to find it, or something similar so I can buy some more.

Internet says 小沱茶 is puerh and ignores the second character in the label (小芙沱茶). I can't find that exact brand but here's a Japanese site with too much information about different styles of puerh tea.
http://www.puer-cha.com/select.htm

Gunpowder green tea is also a thing. 

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Just wanna say that this is the loving realest.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Hopper posted:

Even Google started developing a prototype censored search engine to get back into the Chinese market and only shut it down after internal conflicts. Not surprisingly companies and governments value money over human rights etc. and all bow before that sweet sweet Chinese market.

Google never "left" China as such. They've been making bank selling Google ads to Chinese companies to target western markets. I've been to the Shanghai Google offices and they are really fancy, 79th I think floor of the Shanghai financial tower.

The first company I worked for in Shanghai would drop about $3m on Google ads every year, and that was just about cracking the lower tier of when Google started to notice you.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Re: tea request, I don't have an image host account, but if you dump this weirdass link into taobao search you'll get something that's (apparently) the same type of tea, although not that exact brand:

fu致这行话₴OdZX1eACRY2₴转移至👉淘宀┡ē👈,【云西 2003年 云南凤凰沱茶 干仓 小沱 100g生沱 普洱茶 老茶】

It's, uh, obviously not a URL. I don't know what it is other than it works with taobao. But since I can't send you a screenshot, that's the best you're getting.

Edit:
Unrelated, sad stories of people with chronic conditions requiring hospital treatment, but stuck in heavily infected areas, basically being turbofucked by local hospitals being either unable or unwilling to perform those procedures.
Not surprising, and not much criticism is possible for the hospitals (because what else could they do?), but super sad.

Atopian fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 12, 2020

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Lawson posted:

Hello, Chinese speakers. Crossposting myself from the PYF products thread out of sheer desperation:

No idea what that says but if you like smokey tea then you need to find the Lapsang my friend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapsang_souchong

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've had some smoky formosa oolongs. A Japanese hojicha might also scratch that itch

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

According to the Wall Street Journal, many of the hastily-produced test kits for Novel Coronavirus give false negatives. :( loving yipes.

https://twitter.com/Chao_Deng/status/1227482607874527232

The Chinese Cooking Demystified dude has a wonderful Reddit essay on day-to-day life in Shunde, as well as on the history of food.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/comments/f0qjm9/what_the_coronavirus_forcing_me_in_lockdowns/

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yeah i had seen that 30-50% of results were unreliable. one person needed to be tested four times before he got a positive result

i'm glad the reported new infection numbers are going down because that would be good if it was real but putting everything together about how easy it is to spread and how easy it is to test negative it's just kind of hard to believe this is going to be over anytime soon

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Pharohman777 posted:

Its kinda amazing how the Chinese government keeps reinforcing its reputation as being composed of oversensitive weenies who think small stuff will cause their government to collapse promptly. There was the danish political cartoon as well a week or so ago.

that's not what they think. they're doing this to utterly dominate the entire narrative. it's to establish a tradition of chilling anti-China speech worldwide. same poo poo happens any time any country disses on capitalism, but from America instead.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

d0s posted:

I can kinda understand the strategy with companies, they know that it will be an easy win because they react in a predictable way to keep making money. The attitude towards smaller nations as a whole like this thing with Denmark is what seems completely senseless, because there's no way the answer is going to be anything but "lol no", drawing more attention and praise to the artist. I thought it might be for internal propaganda purposes (big daddy China pushing around the hated west! just don't mention the response) but are they really drawing attention to the fact that HK protestors are inspiring artists on the other side of the world in the state media?

I get that it's literally a "no why" situation but my diseased western imperialist brain still finds it amazing that THIS IS KILLING is the default culturally ingrained mode of diplomacy, and I still wonder how it got that way

For example, I certainly wouldn't have heard poo poo about this sculpture without their protest over it, which spawned news articles. It would be a completely local affair without their pants-making GBS threads

5er
Jun 1, 2000

BrainDance posted:

Man the oscars are a joke, it's like almost a hundred years of "not actually best movies getting awards for being the best movies"

The Oscars is just an annual sales conference in which genetic lottery winners get awarded for moving the most product with their talent for pretending to be anyone but themselves.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

poverty goat posted:

I've had some smoky formosa oolongs. A Japanese hojicha might also scratch that itch

Hojija has more of a roasted flavor than smoky though, at least mine does.

If you want ultrasmoky go for gunpowder tea. But don't use cloth teabags you will never get the flavor out.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Lawson posted:

Can anybody read this? This is green tea with a pleasant smoke aroma. It was given to me by somebody who traveled to China, but doesn't speak the language. I'd like to find it, or something similar so I can buy some more.

CIGNX posted:

Best I can tell from my crappy Chinese and my dad, it's Tuocha or Tuo tea. Googling says it's puerh tea that's been formed into a nest shape, and according to my dad's internet searchings, the name comes from the fact that Yunnan traders would sell that particular shape of tea along the Tuo river in Sichuan province. The package states that tea comes from Yunnan, so it seems to check out.

But you said it was a green tea? If it's puerh, the tea should be amber/orange color, like black tea. Also, I wouldn't say puerh has a smokey flavor, but it's definitely funkier than the usual Oolong or black teas.

Following up on this, I found out there's something called "unripe" or "raw" or "sheng" puerh. Normally puerh is allowed to ferment, which give it its characteristically funky flavor, but unripe puerh isn't fermented and is essentially sun-dried green tea. It has a much more pale liquid, and some people describe it as having a smokey flavor. Here's a link from a US distributor

https://taooftea.com/product/green-tuocha/

This seems to match up with what you had. It has the Tuo cha nest-shape, it's a puerh from Yunnan, but it also has green tea-ish flavor.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

5er posted:

The Oscars is just an annual sales conference in which genetic lottery winners get awarded for moving the most product with their talent for pretending to be anyone but themselves.

We get it, you wanted Joker to win.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

5er posted:

Wow, you're deep. I'm a girl with big tits and your words make me all kinds of wet.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

5er posted:

Whenever someone like this, posts something like this, I'm stunned they still exist

This is straight out of 2003 and I'm 13 and this is cool and edgy.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
im frankly glad all these movies with the monkey king is making having huge unkempt sideburns fashionable again

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

5er posted:

loving lol

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
loving normies and their genetic lotteries :rolleyes:

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
good news!

https://mobile.twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1227657884395327489

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Isn’t that something that the FDA basically exists to give a nice legal cockslapping to?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

im frankly glad all these movies with the monkey king is making having huge unkempt sideburns fashionable again

sun wukong but it's the Sabotage video

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Isn’t that something that the FDA basically exists to give a nice legal cockslapping to?

oh yeah if there's anyone trump's government loves going after, it's hucksters and christians

Monkey Fracas posted:

amazing

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Acting is a genetic trait!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Chinese Cooking Demystified dude has a wonderful Reddit essay on day-to-day life in Shunde, as well as on the history of food.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/comments/f0qjm9/what_the_coronavirus_forcing_me_in_lockdowns/

Thank you for this because his youtube channel is loving amazing

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Acting is a genetic trait!

How else do you explain the Barrymores?

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
Oh great now I want smokey tea <:mad:>

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

My FIL chugged that instead of chemo to fight his throat cancer. He was dead within 4 months.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Who is the guy who drank so much Colloidal silver that he turned blue? I remember him looking like the MIB from Deus Ex.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

oohhboy posted:

Who is the guy who drank so much Colloidal silver that he turned blue? I remember him looking like the MIB from Deus Ex.

This guy.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Not under this administration
:trumppop:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

suffered a heart attack before contracting pneumonia and having a severe stroke at a Washington state hospital on Monday.

when u gotta be sure

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Y'all award ceremony defenders are loving idiots; but I appreciate this thread still for giving me new teas to look up and try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

unf yes plz