Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

bob dobbs is dead posted:

You can get insurance for individual body parts

Knew about that. I remember enough babbling head tv from the 90s about various celebs or models insuring their asses or whatever. Probably applies to people like professional pianists or artists who can afford something so absurd sounding from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Everyone is going to be *coughs up blood onto shirt* fine. You'll all see there was nothing to worry about.

Saying it'll kill less people than flu yearly in the US is pretty bold when the people infected right now will probably already get to that number even if no one else catches it anywhere.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Knew about that. I remember enough babbling head tv from the 90s about various celebs or models insuring their asses or whatever. Probably applies to people like professional pianists or artists who can afford something so absurd sounding from the start.

If your entire livelyhood is based on a certain body part you probably at least want to make sure you have something to land on if it gets hosed up. And you make enough money for it to make sense of course.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 12, 2020

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

The Metro is a lovely tabloid owned by the same publisher as Daily Mail. I wouldn't trust anything they say to be honest.

If you are dubious of the quality of their journalism take a quick glance down the "Must Read" article list to the right of the main text.

Chrs fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 12, 2020

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chrs posted:

The Metro is a lovely tabloid owned by the same publisher as Daily Mail. I wouldn't trust anything they say to be honest.

If you are dubious of the quality of their journalism take a quick glance down the "Must Read" article list to the right of the main text.

Seems like this is the original article (paywalled maybe)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/12/world/asia/coronavirus-china-covid-19.html?action=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article#link-2e7ad1f0

quote:

The Ministry of Education in China instructed schools on Wednesday to find ways to keep the country’s 190 million primary and secondary students busy during the suspension of the school year, but it discouraged any significant efforts to provide classes online.
“We must resolutely prevent the home study from completely replacing the normal classroom teaching of the school,” Lu Yugang, the ministry’s director of elementary education, said at a briefing in Beijing.
Weird window into the education system. Either they're genuinely afraid of crappy online education supplanting classroom education, or they're working against online classroom discussion, which could work as an alternative way for like minds to gather that's hard to monitor? Or I'm reading too much into state control of online discourse.

quote:

The Chinese authorities have approved a broad strategy for trying to bring the coronavirus outbreak under control while restarting economic production, state news outlets reported Wednesday evening.
None of the announcements directly addressed the difficult balancing act that China now faces: how to put more than 700 million workers back on the job without creating conditions that could allow the virus to spread.

quote:

The death toll from the coronavirus in China reached a new high on Wednesday, at least 1,113, even as Chinese officials said that the rate of new infections showed signs of slowing.
Some good news, although I'd imagine that there's a lot of political interest in seeing that number fall.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
So I'm starting to get nervous because I put a *ton* of stupidly expensive things I can't afford on my credit cards assuming I would be dead by now

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
maybe a good time to hike everest?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

There's a video going around of 3 kids being loaded into a bodybag on the floor of one of the hospitals. As lovely as that is I thought part of the narrative was that there have been no cases of infection in kids- was this just another thing that the Chinese media wasn't reporting on?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

unpacked robinhood posted:

I'm General Woe's Chicken

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

There's a video going around of 3 kids being loaded into a bodybag on the floor of one of the hospitals. As lovely as that is I thought part of the narrative was that there have been no cases of infection in kids- was this just another thing that the Chinese media wasn't reporting on?

Someone said earlier the pictures were from carbon monoxide poisoning, not the virus.

e: Although I'd be really surprised if kids weren't contracting the virus at all.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Do we even know, at this point, what the death rate is? Like, if 100 people were infected with coronavirus how many would likely die? Obviously conditions make a large difference there I suppose but it does seem to be quite deadly for those who get it

There's a whole lot we don't know about what's happening in China. A whole lot. Don't know anything about that particular video but it's probably impossible to say whether it is what it claims to be

unpacked robinhood posted:

Did the AIDS/alopecia treatment cocktail they experimented with ever go anywhere ?

Wasn't that in Thailand? Yeah I'm kinda curious about that as well. They claimed that it could essentially cure, or at least protect a person from, the virus.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Play posted:

Do we even know, at this point, what the death rate is? Like, if 100 people were infected with coronavirus how many would likely die? Obviously conditions make a large difference there I suppose but it does seem to be quite deadly for those who get it

There's a whole lot we don't know about what's happening in China. A whole lot. Don't know anything about that particular video but it's probably impossible to say whether it is what it claims to be

Wasn't that in Thailand? Yeah I'm kinda curious about that as well. They claimed that it could essentially cure, or at least protect a person from, the virus.

WHO says 2% but it's just an estimate since the information coming from china isn't exactly reliable.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

there have been infections in kids but they are generally not severe

i saw that video; those kids could have died from any number of causes, from everything we know it was probably not the virus. that said it's never a good luck to put more than one person in a body bag so there may be some sort of shortage

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Has china said anything about the age distribution of the death? Outside of the 2 study papers?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There have been numerous reported cases of infection in kids, what you probably heard was that they have a much lower rate of serious symptoms, which as far as I know is still accurate

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/DeItaOne/status/1227659145781895169

It's interesting how the WHO boss has switched from the kind of "this is serious but don't panic" PR you would expect to "maybe we should be panicking a bit more actually"

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'm still trying to figure out what happened on Feb 6/7. Its very weird where it was the only day where China only added a few more infections, then the day after went up back to the rate before and after of around 2000 a day. I can't see any scenario where those numbers are accurate, so was it China just wanting a "good day" in the press, or was it maybe the first day off work in the past 2 weeks, for the lab workers at the head testing center so nothing got done?

Nurge posted:

Someone said earlier the pictures were from carbon monoxide poisoning, not the virus.

e: Although I'd be really surprised if kids weren't contracting the virus at all.

That was the video of the whole family suddenly dead in the apartment building. (that was CO poisoning, not coronavirus)

Not the 3 children being jammed into one body bag in a chinese hospital this year.

coronavirus fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 12, 2020

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

poty posted:

It's interesting how the WHO boss has switched from the kind of "this is serious but don't panic" PR you would expect to "maybe we should be panicking a bit more actually"

'Must be interpreted with extreme eyebrow raising'

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

It's in China's best interests to report everything is under control, so the reality is probably that we're all gonna die.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em etc.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

poty posted:

twitter user @DeitaOne

edit: stabilized but must be interpreted with caution doesn't mean "maybe we should be panicking a bit more actually"

it's "let's not start suckin' each other's dicks quite yet"

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 12, 2020

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

coronavirus posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what happened on Feb 6/7. Its very weird where it was the only day where China only added a few more infections, then the day after went up back to the rate before and after of around 2000 a day. I can't see any scenario where those numbers are accurate, so was it China just wanting a "good day" in the press, or was it maybe the first day off work in the past 2 weeks, for the lab workers at the head testing center so nothing got done?
That's when they stopped counting asymptomatic confirmed patients in the total.

So those are purely symptomatic confirmations. The way they reach their daily number of confirmed cases changed to exclude positives that would have been counted prior to that date. They're now just positive cases. Positive cases can become confirmed if a patient presents symptoms. That's my understanding

Rat fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 12, 2020

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
thing is the only people they tested that didn't have symptoms were those they specifically tracked down as contacts from other infected people, which i have to think is a very small percentage of all the tests they are running, the majority of which are for confirming severe cases. so i'm really not sure how much that change in and of itself will shift the numbers

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

MarcusSA posted:

Probably should

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

poty posted:

So I'm starting to get nervous because I put a *ton* of stupidly expensive things I can't afford on my credit cards assuming I would be dead by now

Seems like the simple solution is to win the lottery.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Mozi posted:

thing is the only people they tested that didn't have symptoms were those they specifically tracked down as contacts from other infected people, which i have to think is a very small percentage of all the tests they are running, the majority of which are for confirming severe cases. so i'm really not sure how much that change in and of itself will shift the numbers
It's unlikely many asymptomatic patients in China are or were being tested

But it gives plausible deniability to the CCP for abrupt changes in reported confirmed numbers

This was a few days after Xi bemoaned the economic impact

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
SARS death rate was like half in old smokers and bupkis in peeps younger than 25

Prolly similar if lower

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I know nothing about statistics or epidemiology, so I wonder if the cruise ships are going to reveal anything more useful about how this disease spreads and who it kills.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

MWC has been cancelled. The true victims in all this are the tech journos missing their free jolly to Barcelona.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I went on Amazon and bought a 25 pound bucket of pinto beans, a 25 pound bucket of rice, a 50 gallon rainwater collection barrel that I could fill with a hose. Based on a previous recommendation, bought the 80 gallon BOB that could be placed in the tub, and a propane cooking stove. I’ll buy a propane tank next time I’m near Home Depot. Have about 25 pounds of flour I use to make pasta with, and enough canned veggies and other pantry items that my family wouldn’t have to leave the house if necessary for at least 6-8 weeks if properly rationed, even if utilities were out.

I’m not going to go more overboard than that. Cost about $200 for all of the stuff I just bought, and if it proves to be unnecessary, I can water the lawn with the water, use the beans and rice over time, and have a portable stove (can also use butane) for camping.

Feel better that family could hunker down in the unlikely event, and that I don’t have to go panic buying anything even if things become evidently serious.

Couple weeks ago, I also dropped $170 stocking up on general medical supplies: Masks, warm mister, decongestants, and vapor products to keep lungs clear.

Edit: I also live in Texas, and spring isn’t too far off. When at Home Depot, I’ll also invest in seeds. Have a nice garden in the backyard that currently isn’t planted. Would be a good idea to change that this season. Will grow lots of green beans and peas and other veggies that could go well with rice and beans.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

hallelujah posted:

i've legit never posted in cspam

i said nothing about prc's relationship to left groups anywhere, i said don't be racist against chinese people and people you think may be chinese. i will go through the past thousand posts and pick out the individual racist ones and embarrass lots of fundamentally decent people who are just scared they'll die of plague, so help me, i'll do it if you provoke me any further

I've read this entire thread and I don't think I've seen one post I'd classify as racist towards Chinese people. Of course you'll probably tell me that's because I'm so racist I don't even know it. But I would be genuinely interested to see a post from this thread you classify as racist.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Books On Tape posted:

I went on Amazon and bought a 25 pound bucket of pinto beans, a 25 pound bucket of rice, a 50 gallon rainwater collection barrel that I could fill with a hose. Based on a previous recommendation, bought the 80 gallon BOB that could be placed in the tub, and a propane cooking stove. I’ll buy a propane tank next time I’m near Home Depot. Have about 25 pounds of flour I use to make pasta with, and enough canned veggies and other pantry items that my family wouldn’t have to leave the house if necessary for at least 6-8 weeks if properly rationed, even if utilities were out.

I’m not going to go more overboard than that. Cost about $200 for all of the stuff I just bought, and if it proves to be unnecessary, I can water the lawn with the water, use the beans and rice over time, and have a portable stove (can also use butane) for camping.

Feel better that family could hunker down in the unlikely event, and that I don’t have to go panic buying anything even if things become evidently serious.

Couple weeks ago, I also dropped $170 stocking up on general medical supplies: Masks, warm mister, decongestants, and vapor products to keep lungs clear.

Edit: I also live in Texas, and spring isn’t too far off. When at Home Depot, I’ll also invest in seeds. Have a nice garden in the backyard that currently isn’t planted. Would be a good idea to change that this season. Will grow lots of green beans and peas and other veggies that could go well with rice and beans.

lol

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Books On Tape posted:

i have a hockey mask, a leather thong and a rifle

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Waiting for his episode of doomsday preppers to leak.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Illuminti posted:

I've read this entire thread and I don't think I've seen one post I'd classify as racist towards Chinese people. Of course you'll probably tell me that's because I'm so racist I don't even know it. But I would be genuinely interested to see a post from this thread you classify as racist.

in the china threads in general there is a tension between people who have lived there and have an actual experience of what they're talking or complaining about and people who just see that something is being made fun of and parrot everything which tends to come off as causally racist

that's my impression, anyways

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Books On Tape posted:

Yeah boissssss

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

VikingSkull posted:

i have a hockey mask, a leather thong and a rifle

Can I ride in some kind of side car with you, swinging a chain with some like dolls on it and spikes on the dolls

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Jamsta posted:

Yeah boissssss

Too bad w-virus makes you lose your appetite but at least it’s not Ebola.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Jamsta posted:

Yeah boissssss

lol again

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Jamsta posted:

Yeah boissssss

enjoy your bowel movement!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Can I ride in some kind of side car with you, swinging a chain with some like dolls on it and spikes on the dolls

yes but you have to source your own cocaine