Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

xtothez posted:

New AT Starter Set :siren: £90 :siren:
Warbringer Nemesis Titan £55
Industrial Scenery set £30
Shadow & Iron £22

That's an absurd value on the starter, drat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

What’s that in American funbux moondollars? :shepspends:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Xenomrph posted:

What’s that in American funbux moondollars? :shepspends:

About $120

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well it should be, but the boxes that are 90 pounds tend to end up as $150-160.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
That's before the random GW exchange rate application though. you're probably looking at $150 USD. Wrath and Rapture is £95/$160.

Scenery should be $50, Nemesis $90, assuming patterns remain the same.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Sorry for the continued Underworlds questions, but is there any point in buying Nightvault or Shadespire if you've got Beastgrave? I've ordered Beastgrave, and am curious if adding the other boxes would give you more flexibility with boards or cards or anything.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Sorry for the continued Underworlds questions, but is there any point in buying Nightvault or Shadespire if you've got Beastgrave? I've ordered Beastgrave, and am curious if adding the other boxes would give you more flexibility with boards or cards or anything.

The boards are nice to have, and the warbands in Nightvault are both Real Good. The universal cards in each core set are basically the same, though, so you won't get much added value there.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

The universal cards in Shadespire have been rotated out, so you can't use them in a competitive environment. I would also say that the warbands in that set are going to be a little rough to use against a later season warband. You can certainly pull off some wins - I've personally seen the skaven and Sepulchral Guard take down Beastgrave warbands - but it's going to take some time to synergize your decks.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Strictly speaking everything is interchangeable. People upthread have mentioned that some of the cards from the oldest box aren’t legal in tournaments any more, but you can still play with them at home. Basically, just pick up whatever sets have warbands you think look cool and go from there. It’s a fun game system.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Thanks for the info, everyone!

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

xtothez posted:

Oh they know exactly what's coming, HQ staff get some of the first production sprues. Just look at how many have their own gangs, warbands or armies painted up for preview articles on new releases.

That's not what I'm saying - and besides, by the time Community get their hands on sprues etc., the products have already been in development for 12-18 months or longer.

You just need to look at some of the issues with events and FAQs to see some of the issues with team communication.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/02/05/shadow-and-iron-crusades-of-vengeancegw-homepage-post-4fw-homepage-post-1/

quote:

Speaking of the Ordo Sinister, you’ll find the rules for the Warlord-Sinister Psi-Titan in Shadow and Iron. This mighty war engine is a terrifying presence on the battlefield, using its psychic abilities to move faster than you’d expect for a Warlord Titan while devastating enemies with bolts of shadow from its Sinistramanus Tenebrae. The Warlord-Sinister will be available to pre-order from Forge World on Friday.

quote:

And these are just a taster of the mighty battles that unfold in the book – conflicts you can refight with five narrative play missions, alongside rules and background for six Titan Legions and six Knight Houses that fought in the twin crusades. And yes, these rules include the much-requested Legio Audax and their signature weapon, the Ursus Claw.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
As someone who has been modeling the diorama bases for my Titans around the theme of the Shadow Crusade, this is going to be an awesome book for me.

The Psi-Titan looks really cool. It seems very niche though, since only one Legio used them.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

jadebullet posted:

As someone who has been modeling the diorama bases for my Titans around the theme of the Shadow Crusade, this is going to be an awesome book for me.

The Psi-Titan looks really cool. It seems very niche though, since only one Legio used them.

With the whole support Titan thing you could just ally in a Psi-Titan along with your regular legio maniple. Wonder if it counts as a second legio type and gives your opponent extra strategem points or anything though.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
That's what I was wondering as well. Looks like loyalists are getting a Legio that only had Warlords, and Traitors are getting one that only fielded Warhounds (and a stolen Imperator)

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
That psi warlord is frikkin awesome.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Gate posted:

With the whole support Titan thing you could just ally in a Psi-Titan along with your regular legio maniple. Wonder if it counts as a second legio type and gives your opponent extra strategem points or anything though.
Yeah, I'm kind of wondering about that as well. I expect it to be a 0-1 support choice and if it's as powerful as it probably should be, counting as a second legio and giving up extra stratagem points may be an interesting way of further balancing it. I mean, that thing is NUTS in 30k. Its powers are a giant anti-infantry nova, an insanely good self-repair, and the ability to toss out a 24" radius HAYWIRE HURRICANE. Also, it has a terror aura which forces anything within 12" to pass a morale check unless immune to Fear. They have to take another at -3 if they want to charge the drat thing and failure means falling back. Nothing about moving faster like in the WHC article, but they can definitely stand to change the powers up. Really interested to see how it shakes out. Its gun is also insane and shoots psychic black holes.

The model is great too, I really like how they've differentiated it from standard warlords between the faceless head and the weird structure on its back. I thought the scheme was dark green though. I'm a little disappointed in that, but I can always paint my own the way I want.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah a lot of those would probably have much smaller areas of effect in AT scale at least, so that would be a bit of a balancing factor. Just having it be a significant points upgrade would be enough too. I just hope that whomever wrote the Acastus rules isn't in charge of the psi-titan too.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'm the giant psychic robot

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The psi-titan is up for pre-order. It's $132 US which is honestly a lot better than I expected considering what they charge for single arm weapons. A regular plastic warlord is $110, as a reference point.

I also squinted at the weapons cards in the product images and the Sinistramanus Tenebrae looks pretty interesting. I'll list its stats/traits below:
Short range: 30"
Long Range: 120"
Doesn't look like there are any accuracy bonuses for either bracket
Dice: 3
Strength: 10
Traits: Beam(1), Psi, Taxing

I think all three traits are new so we won't know what this thing can really do until the book drops. Not surprising. The terminal shown doesn't reveal anything about its powers either, but it does show the warlord-sinister starts at 685 points. :eyepop: It also seems to have access to the usual variety of warlord weapons for its right arm and carapace.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Notably, that kit comes with all the weapons from both Warlord Titan plastic kits on top of the extra psi bits. So you get the double bellicosa, double sunfury, power claw, and new gun for the arms; and the paired apocalypse launchers and paired laser blasters for the carapace. It's cheaper than buying a Warlord and then buying the extra weapons sprue so if you don't already have a Warlord, it's worth it even if you were playing a traitor force and never actually used it as a Psi-Titan. Which is definitely not the norm for Forgeworld.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Gate posted:

Notably, that kit comes with all the weapons from both Warlord Titan plastic kits on top of the extra psi bits. So you get the double bellicosa, double sunfury, power claw, and new gun for the arms; and the paired apocalypse launchers and paired laser blasters for the carapace. It's cheaper than buying a Warlord and then buying the extra weapons sprue so if you don't already have a Warlord, it's worth it even if you were playing a traitor force and never actually used it as a Psi-Titan. Which is definitely not the norm for Forgeworld.
It comes with the cards for it all, but it is just the plasma/fist warlord kit as the base model. If you want a belicosa or missiles you'll need to get the separate weapon sprue.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Safety Factor posted:

It comes with the cards for it all, but it is just the plasma/fist warlord kit as the base model. If you want a belicosa or missiles you'll need to get the separate weapon sprue.

Ah, drat, I totally missed that. Oh well, still a pretty solid deal.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
What are the chances that they just end up releasing the psi junk as an upgrade sprue? I know they eventually did it with the other stuff, is it just a matter of time or is this one going to be a standalone kit?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
After seeing PA5 I'm now skipping any 40k purchases this month and focusing on AT. Question is what to do next though. I already have 9 Gryphonicus titans, which is more than I'll ever need to field at once. Should this be the point where I start a new Legion, and if so which one? Solaria's colour scheme really appeals to me, but starting a traitor legion means getting to use daemon titans later on. Hmm...

tallkidwithglasses posted:

What are the chances that they just end up releasing the psi junk as an upgrade sprue? I know they eventually did it with the other stuff, is it just a matter of time or is this one going to be a standalone kit?

Unlikely, since it's intended to be built & painted as a titan in it's own right rather than magnetised like the weapons. Still the price isn't as bad as I'd feared, was expecting £95.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Goliaths are a plastic kit. Which is nice, still no word on whether you can make Juves or Zerkers from them.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/02/09/pre-order-preview-heroes-warbands-gangs-and-more/

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

hooman posted:

no word on whether you can make Juves or Zerkers from them.

I really doubt they'd be hiding something like that.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Sorry if this has been addressed ad nauseum, but what's the deal with the TacComm forums, and Epic Armageddon these days?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Signal posted:

Sorry if this has been addressed ad nauseum, but what's the deal with the TacComm forums, and Epic Armageddon these days?

The admin was moving to a new host, but it looks like the site is still not up. I'll ask around.

EDIT: So yeah, there was a plan to move to a new host, but that was the last news I heard. I do remember that the last time the site went down, it was for a couple months. Not sure what is going on at this point.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 10, 2020

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Hmm, thanks. Really annoying timing, since I'm pulling some fresh blood into 6mm.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

hooman posted:

Goliaths are a plastic kit. Which is nice, still no word on whether you can make Juves or Zerkers from them.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/02/09/pre-order-preview-heroes-warbands-gangs-and-more/

JcDent posted:

I really doubt they'd be hiding something like that.

I agree with that assessment, they would surely have trumpeted that use of the kits from the rooftops if it were so.

However, while the forge born don't look that easy to convert given they all have double-headed weapons (I suppose it depends on the shoulder assembly) it could be doable with enough bits. That gives people something to use for Goliaths' S3, T3 juves. As for champions I don't feel the need to differentiate is so great.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Those minis can be turned into Juves easily IMO. If you’re not up for hacking minis into things they aren’t, why even Necro?

In other news, my Sisters of Battle as ‘Enforcers’ project and gang is underway and I played my first two games of Necro in about a year last week. Thoroughly enjoyed it and I’m getting the bug back. We’re using my friend’s Oldamunda-ish rules which changes loads of things, all for the better in my view.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Allow me to be a wet blanket:

These fuckers get one T over Juves, for some reason, and shittier "soft stats" despite having to be... pre Juves... with access to better weapons? Like this MG:

I dunno what reckless and unstable do, but it seems very good.

Not entirely excited about the AoS-eque splitting of the gang into Vatborn, Natborn and Unborn... or the implications of updates like this:

I mean, this sounds super cool, but I don't trust the regular rule balance of the game to not lead to more houserule headache.

I'd probably be more lenient if the game was better balanced and we had a no-poo poo official army builder covering all sorts of weirdness that is getting bolted on, but we don't.

Oh, and since the new army books are gonna come out 1/quarter, good luck to Cawdor or whoever was the last of the six, they won't getting new poo poo for a year. Considering the stuff Goliaths are getting here, the power imbalance is gonna be through the roof.

This one is actually funny.

The Slaver Guild entourage - about book or two late - seem cool and good tho.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 11, 2020

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
The only way this makes sense is if “Juves” as a concept gradually get retired by each of these new books, replaced with a number of different Juve equivalents representing pathways to gang membership for each faction.

I don’t know if any of the published news explicitly states that this isn’t the case. It wouldn’t surprise me, because :GW:, but if I were writing these rules it’s what I would do.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Unstable means on an ammo check, 1/2/3 takes you ooa.
Reckless is something similar? Shock on rapid fire 3 is worth whatever else.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Reckless-Weapons with this trait ignore the normal target priority rules. Instead, before making an attack with a weapon with this Trait, randomly determine the target of the attack from all eligible models within the fighter's line of sight.

So with Rapid Fire (3) you might be able to walk your fire back to whatever you wanted to shoot at.

Rules be creepin', yo.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So, last weekend my buddy and I got in our first full game with all the rules of Titanicus. He was running an Axiom maniple of Fortidus, with a Warlord, Reaver, and two Warhounds. I ran a Venator maniple of Gryphonicus with two Reavers and two Warhounds. Despite the chassis difference there was only about 100 point difference thanks to taking all the wargear. It was an incredibly fun game, I narrowly lost after he managed to grab several table quarters on the last turn and I failed to seriously damage his Warlord for two turns in a row with bad scatter rolls on my Volcano and Melta cannons.

The highlight of the game was him rushing a badly damaged Warhound into my melta/powerfist/turbolaser Reaver, which promptly punched it to death. Naturally, this triggered a catastrophic meltdown of the thing's plasma reactor, which he used the Red Skies strategem on to boost the damage. The blast crippled the Reaver's legs, and barely reached one of my Warhounds, which was promptly destroyed by the massive explosion. Which of course triggered it's own catastrophic meltdown. Between the two massive blasts, that section of the city we were playing on went from pretty heavily covered to flattened craters in seconds. :black101:

The Reaver was, of course, the one that I'd replaced a Warhound with, and so it had the Gryphonicus wargear that let it boost movement without pushing the reactor, in exchange for potentially generating heat if the legs suffered critical damage. So now it was overheating, with crippled legs halving it's movement, and totally in the open thanks to terrain destruction. The blast very nearly took me out of the game, though a heroic effort by my other Warhound managed to limp my objective to within range of my board edge to score half points before it was gunned down by the opposing Reaver.

10/10, will stomp robots again (and get pictures worth posting next time).

I don't think I'm going to run Gryphonicus again though, it was fun but the color scheme is all wrong and honestly it doesn't exactly fit how I want to play. I'm torn trying to decide between Tempestus or using the custom rules from White Dwarf to just make my own.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 12, 2020

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ineptmule posted:

Those minis can be turned into Juves easily IMO. If you’re not up for hacking minis into things they aren’t, why even Necro?

In other news, my Sisters of Battle as ‘Enforcers’ project and gang is underway and I played my first two games of Necro in about a year last week. Thoroughly enjoyed it and I’m getting the bug back. We’re using my friend’s Oldamunda-ish rules which changes loads of things, all for the better in my view.

See I agree about the conversions, but I more meant that rules-wise I am surprised that Forgeborn are being released instead of Juves and Juves are remaining unchanged in the rules alongside them. See below.

Glad you're back into the swing of Necromunda though! I had 2 pre-campaign games with my Orlocks against a new opponent's Escher over the weekend. Great fun. I did learn that taking a Heavy Bolter without any suspensors or servo-harness is a silly idea though - I've now got to make a replacement bolter-wielding champion before we start in 2 weeks, but that will allow me to go to a 10 man starting crew at least!

JcDent posted:

Allow me to be a wet blanket:

By all means! While it doesn't hamper my enjoyment of the game, you're right, the balance will be all over the place, and cool new ideas, while nice, will exist alongside bad design decisions and existing problems with the core rules. In a perfect world, Forge Born and their weapon options would open up a really interesting focus for gangs to use those young-blood archetypes and the disappointment that is current Juve rules/concept could be retired. But because, in 2020, GW still pushes out series of expansion books that rely on buying the previous ones, they can't update or errata anything major without invalidating whole books and enraging their customers.

ineptmule posted:

The only way this makes sense is if “Juves” as a concept gradually get retired by each of these new books, replaced with a number of different Juve equivalents representing pathways to gang membership for each faction.

I think your instincts are good but it won't happen!

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Reckless-Weapons with this trait ignore the normal target priority rules. Instead, before making an attack with a weapon with this Trait, randomly determine the target of the attack from all eligible models within the fighter's line of sight.

So with Rapid Fire (3) you might be able to walk your fire back to whatever you wanted to shoot at.

Rules be creepin', yo.

Yeah, some of the stuff in Book of Judgment I thought was absolutely bonkers. The Corpse Grinder melee weapons and gang special rules are also well beyond the remit of the original 2 books. This will just be more of the same. OK and fun if you take one and have a laugh with it; massively a problem if people just try and build strong gangs. That RF3 weapon (and to be fair we haven't seen the cost yet, and it may only be available on that BS5+ model) is bonkers. Reckless is a crippling drawback on paper, but if you manage it right in Zone Mortalis games it's fine.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I feel like wanting to build optimal Gangs misses so much of the point, you might as well just play something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

RE Reckless: I’m looking forward to when I manage to get the rare trade needed to set up my Arco-Flagellants. Frenzon (or better yet a Frenzon Collar), Slaught, Stim Slugs, and Shock Staves. My rule is that if I am able to hire a rookie shortly after killing or capturing an enemy fighter, I can give the rookie the aforementioned gear...