Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

CitizenKeen posted:

What's the point of an alt account?

njsykora posted:

It's so you can run gimmick decks in low level ranked and post clickbait Youtube videos about how a combo that you only got to work once in 10 games is hella broken.

Syrinxx posted:

MOST BROKEN DECK EVER?????? *home alone face*
Mine was to get use out of how quickly you get a ton of cards on a new account to build a different deck and climb Ranked using a different shell. It was minimal investment at the time and I kinda regret splitting my attention like that, but it's fine.

I also don't stream or upload to YouTube. pls no bully. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I've silenced detainers and it eats your unit (did not have a full board.)

Fun thing someone just tossed me out of expedition with, if you use Dawn and Dusk on Anivia it spawns two ephemeral Anivias, which die, and then respawn as eggs, which turn into not-Ephemeral Anivias. So the next turn you have three Enlightened Anivas spamming 6 damage across your entire board and nexus.

That was sure a thing.

Also I got my third Shen out of Expedition because I get Shen out of expedition every single loving week but I guess at least I can't get him again.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
This absolute trashcan heimer lux teemo deck was on reddit and I'm somehow keeping a nice 50% winrate with it:

CEBACAIACEDACBAQDMTTINRYAIBACBBRGICQCAAGDAUSUMQCAIAQAJJNAMAQIGQ7GA

I had to swap out teemo for fiora because I was drawing stand alone so much and he was messing them up. If I see greenglade duo more often I'll probably swap back.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

mistaya posted:

Fun thing someone just tossed me out of expedition with, if you use Dawn and Dusk on Anivia it spawns two ephemeral Anivias, which die, and then respawn as eggs, which turn into not-Ephemeral Anivias. So the next turn you have three Enlightened Anivas spamming 6 damage across your entire board and nexus.

That was sure a thing.

Also I got my third Shen out of Expedition because I get Shen out of expedition every single loving week but I guess at least I can't get him again.

it doesnt work quite the same (the two extras do die the next turn) but you can use dawn and dusk on trynd before hes levelled up like this. i won my final expedition win doing this and then having the other player try and pop him with vengence before d and d went off, which just made things even worse for them

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

mistaya posted:

That was sure a thing.

I feel like there's some potential here for a Yasuo/Anivia deck that uses stuns and recalls to either turn Yasuo into a monster or to let the player survive until they can create their Anivia death squad.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
When you can get a Heimerdinger deck off the ground in expedition it is absurdly amusing.

Oh, you wanted to play minions on curve? hang on, let me just wipe your board and place a bunch of 0 mana turrets and T-hex's all over my board, you can have your turn back after I've played my 8 cards on turn 6.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Pilchenstein posted:

Can anyone recommend any good videos of people playing expeditions? At my absolute best I can get six wins and most of the time I don't even get half that and I'm pretty sure most of it is down to not knowing how to draft. Even after the advice I've been given in this thread I end up with janky decks that struggle to do anything at all while my opponents steamroll me with perfect synergies :v:

I haven't done any expeditions yet, but I did draft in MtG a lot.

I came across this video, and I think it has some nice tips of what you should look out for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfDjkOehk5k

First some general strategy, then a full expedition draft with the reasoning behind the picks.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

guts and bolts posted:

I just got the most satisfying Ranked win on my alt account with Frostbite control versus SI/Ionia spiders/Fearsomes, holy moly. Braum emoting when you play Rhasa is peak BM! (He got two Rimetusk Shamans, it was bleak.) He played Ledros twice! And still lost! Tried to dink and dunk a Shadow Assassin through when I was at 2 Nexus HP, too, for maximum cancer.

e: I was also thinking you should throw a hypergeometric calculator into the OP because I believe this about all card games. You want to have concrete answers on how likely you are to get stuff in your deck, it's a pretty easy way to do that. I might also be the only person who cares about that kind of math in thread though.

Be happy to but I need a link.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

No Wave posted:

This absolute trashcan heimer lux teemo deck was on reddit and I'm somehow keeping a nice 50% winrate with it:

CEBACAIACEDACBAQDMTTINRYAIBACBBRGICQCAAGDAUSUMQCAIAQAJJNAMAQIGQ7GA

I had to swap out teemo for fiora because I was drawing stand alone so much and he was messing them up. If I see greenglade duo more often I'll probably swap back.
The magic is over, my opponents are drawing real cards again. Dont play this deck.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Ok I finally have a complaint about this game. Since nearly everything is based on earning XP it's really loving stupid that your daily quest reward can vary by 50% with only a single random reroll to try and get a 1500xp one instead. Just make all the quests 1500 or something

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Turambar posted:

I haven't done any expeditions yet, but I did draft in MtG a lot.

I came across this video, and I think it has some nice tips of what you should look out for:

First some general strategy, then a full expedition draft with the reasoning behind the picks.
Nice one, cheers.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I tried to run a cat-astrophe expedition deck with almost no duplicates and the results were... well... catastrophic with 0 total wins.

Also, I've been trying a Yasuo/Nox deck but I've had mixed results. I don't know if it's just really bad luck because I've had too many games where I never draw him or where I get really crappy hands, like having all 3 denies sitting in there without any worthwhile targets.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Mayveena posted:

Be happy to but I need a link.

https://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

Where "population size" is 40, "number of successes in population" is the number of a specific card in your deck, sample size is whatever you need it to be ("can I draw Rhasa reliably by round 9 if there are only two in my deck?"), number of successes in sample is also whatever you need it to be ("can I draw two Rhasas by round--")

It's an easy way to avoid memorization or mental math when understanding probabilities of drawing cards by a certain point of the game. Tools on Decks of Runeterra allow you to draw a sample hand, which is... neat, but if you're building your deck and running, say, discard aggro, and you want to know if you should put in 2 Draven's Biggest Fan or 3, this is the best way to determine that. For me, anyway. Math.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Chernabog posted:

I tried to run a cat-astrophe expedition deck with almost no duplicates and the results were... well... catastrophic with 0 total wins.

Also, I've been trying a Yasuo/Nox deck but I've had mixed results. I don't know if it's just really bad luck because I've had too many games where I never draw him or where I get really crappy hands, like having all 3 denies sitting in there without any worthwhile targets.

I had a cat deck that worked in expeditions and if you take a shot again I think the key is cards that turn into other cards. Spell summons count as two unique plays with one card, and any card that creates another card onto the board or into hand counts also, ie: the 2x spider summon, navori bandit, whumps and other things that create cheap cards.

Still probably not good but it is fun.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Went 7 wins with heimer/cataclysm with demacia as my secondary today, the demacia unit summoning spells are great and got some good value out of either making a 3/3 on turn 2, or waiting and making two 3/3's on 3 with the silence after spellcast guy.

The key is having enough removal and chump blockers and some whumps to generate trash cards for rummage targets for you to get heimerdinger online and then you win if he stays on the board.

Also Remembrance is a strictly better Unlicensed Innovation.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Went 7 wins with heimer/cataclysm with demacia as my secondary today, the demacia unit summoning spells are great and got some good value out of either making a 3/3 on turn 2, or waiting and making two 3/3's on 3 with the silence after spellcast guy.

The key is having enough removal and chump blockers and some whumps to generate trash cards for rummage targets for you to get heimerdinger online and then you win if he stays on the board.

Also Remembrance is a strictly better Unlicensed Innovation.

It seems like Remembrance always pulls that 5/5 toughness/lifesteal bastard.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That card only has three pulls. Vanguard Cavalry (quite good in expedition), Radiant Guardian (amazing in expedition), Silverwing Vanguard (insane in expedition). That is actually the entire pool right now.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They are both 6 mana spells that summon a 5 attack unit, but remembrance has the ability to get discounted and it's 5 attack minions can get some impressive keywords, worst case scenario you get a naked radiant guardian which is still the same as unlicensed.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I know it's apparently already on the board for fixes but wow Elusive really drains my will to live. Elusive units should have their health halved across the board so you actually have to pay for the massive power bonus of avoiding defenders, since that's a huge portion of the game.

That said, I just got 7 wins with a super control Heimer/Ez expedition deck with a ton of beefy Demacia midrange units and buffs to protect them and challengers to try to stem to tide of every person ever stacking elusives. It also included the 30/30 cat summon card and probably half my wins were from it.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Elusive units already have low stats for their cost. They're only a real problem in draft mode if you're not offered any answer to them, they're mostly fine in constructed imo.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 13, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Someone else's screenshot, this is just dirty and I hate that minotaur.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

guts and bolts posted:

https://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

Where "population size" is 40, "number of successes in population" is the number of a specific card in your deck, sample size is whatever you need it to be ("can I draw Rhasa reliably by round 9 if there are only two in my deck?"), number of successes in sample is also whatever you need it to be ("can I draw two Rhasas by round--")

It's an easy way to avoid memorization or mental math when understanding probabilities of drawing cards by a certain point of the game. Tools on Decks of Runeterra allow you to draw a sample hand, which is... neat, but if you're building your deck and running, say, discard aggro, and you want to know if you should put in 2 Draven's Biggest Fan or 3, this is the best way to determine that. For me, anyway. Math.

I don't think that's going to work in the OP because it's too complex for non math people :) . Thanks anyway.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

how’s this game doing? i really like it and hope it overtakes hearthstone

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think it's actually doing well. It didnt explode onto the scene but all the traffic numbers I've seen on twitch/reddit etc indicate that it's held most players' attention for the past three weeks.

If theres a problem it's that you get everything for free idk how much money they can really make at this rate.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Someone else's screenshot, this is just dirty and I hate that minotaur.
Huh, I would have expected them all to stun the same target - it's not like stacking Rimetusks where the first guy hit with frostbite is no longer the strongest, surely "weakest enemy" doesn't change just because one is stunned.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

Huh, I would have expected them all to stun the same target - it's not like stacking Rimetusks where the first guy hit with frostbite is no longer the strongest, surely "weakest enemy" doesn't change just because one is stunned.

It seems like those effects don't overlap eachother and as they go from left to right if they see someone already frozen or stunned they will go to the next target.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I also hope it eats into the hearthstone playerbase, though I think that will require a card expansion since it's a small overall pool of cards right now with a lot of regions almost always bringing the same op cards.
Game's still in "beta" though so it might pick up more people once it's officially out.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

a fatguy baldspot posted:

streaming wise in Korea its a completely dead (biggest stream is like 100 viewers at max) though there's still a still a decent number playing so matchmaking isn't that bad

people say there will be an increase when it actually opens but i'm not quite convinced. Open beta is basically the same thing these days and many of the people aren't just that interested in playing.

Think the game isn't that good for streamers overall since they can't make a variety of decks of to allow them and the views to enjoy themselves due to the limit

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

To whoever told me Elnuks were great in expeditions.

Thank you.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Is there a bug with rerolling the daily quest? I rerolled twice to get a 1500xp one, "play 6 champions from Freljord or Piltover and Zaun" and after playing a bunch of games where I summoned 10 or so of those champs in total, it's progressed to 3 out of 6. I suspect it might actually be rewarding me progress for one of the quests I rerolled, though I can't remember what they were :v:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Pilchenstein posted:

Is there a bug with rerolling the daily quest? I rerolled twice to get a 1500xp one, "play 6 champions from Freljord or Piltover and Zaun" and after playing a bunch of games where I summoned 10 or so of those champs in total, it's progressed to 3 out of 6. I suspect it might actually be rewarding me progress for one of the quests I rerolled, though I can't remember what they were :v:
I've seen this too, on quests like "cast 10 spells from Freljord" but exiting the game and coming back in made it start counting correctly.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Syrinxx posted:

I've seen this too, on quests like "cast 10 spells from Freljord" but exiting the game and coming back in made it start counting correctly.
That seemed to do the trick, nice one :)

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Ended up playing a game where I went SUPER controlly thanks to Karma. I was able to complete Ezreal's Level Up condition.... twice

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

To whoever told me Elnuks were great in expeditions.

Thank you.

I came very close to losing to a cloning Elnuk deck in ranked, if I couldn't cancel pack mentality or had the perfect lethal draws I would of lost hard to it.

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012

Eraflure posted:

Elusive units already have low stats for their cost. They're only a real problem in draft mode if you're not offered any answer to them, they're mostly fine in constructed imo.

I agree. I think Fearsome is actually a bigger problem in constructed because for most of them you pay no stat cost to run them (and then you have cards like Frenzied Skitterer which would just be blatantly good with or without Fearsome tag). So, can't be chump-blocked, harder to kill with removal than elusives, and kill you faster. Oh, and then they curve into freaking Hecarim

If they don't nerf Hecarim I might lose my mind. The fact that he's a must-play in the versions that don't even have ephemeral synergy should say enough.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

He's 10/10 for 6, across 3 bodies, with 4 overwhelm damage. It's absolutely bonkers.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They probably over-buffed Wraithcaller at the start of the beta, since immediate 6/5 fearsome for 4 mana is bonkers good compared to most allegiance bonuses, especially the noxus or ionia ones.

Ledros just needs to lose fearsome so he can be chump blocked and delayed, if that's not enough then 9 mana would probably make him hard to play.

Hecarim could stand to lose a point or two of stats or cost another mana, he is just a far superior Darius without even having to levelup.

Rekindler would be perfectly fine as a 2/3 body instead of a 4/4, at his current power he could pull a leveled Teemo and still bring 6 mana worth of stats to the board, if he pulls Hecarim or Trynd it's over.

Skitterer and Rhaza lose fearsome or Rhaza loses a bit of stats.

Those changes would hit the worst of the SI cards while still leaving the spells untouched.

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They probably over-buffed Wraithcaller at the start of the beta, since immediate 6/5 fearsome for 4 mana is bonkers good compared to most allegiance bonuses, especially the noxus or ionia ones.

Ledros just needs to lose fearsome so he can be chump blocked and delayed, if that's not enough then 9 mana would probably make him hard to play.

Hecarim could stand to lose a point or two of stats or cost another mana, he is just a far superior Darius without even having to levelup.

Rekindler would be perfectly fine as a 2/3 body instead of a 4/4, at his current power he could pull a leveled Teemo and still bring 6 mana worth of stats to the board, if he pulls Hecarim or Trynd it's over.

Skitterer and Rhaza lose fearsome or Rhaza loses a bit of stats.

Those changes would hit the worst of the SI cards while still leaving the spells untouched.

Wraithcaller is pretty dumb, especially because LoR has a ton of potential to be a high-skill game but the optimized versions of these decks require some of the lowest skill humanly possible and just leads to crapping out stats as quickly as possible without thought

Ledros losing fearsome sounds good from a balance perspective, only argument against would be that flavor-wise he seems kinda fearsome. Shrug. yeah, that doesn't bother me at all. I think there are other ways to fix him

Yeah, Hec is ridic. Obviously

I think Rhasa will most likely be moved to 8 mana cost. Making it lose stats seems kinda eh considering nobody's problem with the unit really has to do with the 7/5 statline

There's no doubt in my mind they could reasonably nerf like 6 SI cards and SI would still absolutely be worth running

dead in real life fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 15, 2020

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Yeah there's not really much else to say at the moment. Fearsome/Elusives make up like a good 75%+ of what's on the ladder, with a few Ezreal, Demacia Mono (or mostly mono) and Ashe decks thrown in. Meta is quite stale at the moment and I don't know if a monthly patch cycle is going to be enough to keep people interested which is a shame.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Once again, game is still in Beta and has maybe, 60% of the cards it's planning to release with based on what the devs have been communicating. Elusives and Fearsome are a problem right now but that's just teething issues. Hecarim, Ledros and Rhasa are possibly the only cards that outright need nerfs in Shadow Isles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If a game is open to the public, you can spend money on it, and everything you do now will carry over for the rest of the game's lifespan, I don't think you can call it a beta.