Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
The phrase "exposed ample breasts" occurs in the second paragraph of the prologue. This has got to be a record, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

they say abreast instead of amen because they are women, sorry, woolooloos.

Roggan?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
About the only case of fantasy slang that isn't annoying I can think of is Pratchett making fun of it with Dimwell rhyming slang, which doesn't actually rhyme. The footnotes suggest this is probably because it's made up to annoy people, like most slang.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Sorry, Alice Through the Looking Glass would like a word with that graph. Or at least the Jabberwocky.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Domus posted:

Sorry, Alice Through the Looking Glass would like a word with that graph. Or at least the Jabberwocky.

It's why the line never hits zero :v:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Domus posted:

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
The original übernerd JRR Tolkien was the first and worst of this, but at least he had the decency to keep the worst of it to an appendix.
"Frodo's name - in his native Uytferlian - is actually Iofrexich, which sounds similar to the Eolvefen word for 'small badger' and can thus be seen as a pun on etc etc etc which has some similarities with the medieval saxon word 'frood', thus Frodo."

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mr. Sunshine posted:

The original übernerd JRR Tolkien was the first and worst of this, but at least he had the decency to keep the worst of it to an appendix.
"Frodo's name - in his native Uytferlian - is actually Iofrexich, which sounds similar to the Eolvefen word for 'small badger' and can thus be seen as a pun on etc etc etc which has some similarities with the medieval saxon word 'frood', thus Frodo."

I'm more willing to accept it from Tolkien than "random self-published nerd" as well, because Tolkien actually knew how language works.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Tolkien also managed to keep most of it to the appendices and other supplemental material.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah JRRT was really the king of that kind of stuff. One fictional language wasn't enough, huh? Gotta pretend you're translating it from one into another? If Frodo were a real person, it would be pretty stupid and more than a little racist to try and translate the meaning instead of the sounds.

Like imagine if you met a Chinese woman and she was like "my name is Yawen" and you went "oh, okay, so I'm gonna call you Elegant Cloud or Elclow for short since that's what your name means"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also re. supplemental material I read a great little anecdote from a retired publisher who said he loving hated JRRT because he would always get sent all sorts of random unsolicited manuscripts, but once the Lord of the Rings took off he started getting boxes full of poo poo like maps and dictionaries and drawings of characters and cloth samples and sheet music for songs and everything else with a 7th-grade fantasy novel somewhere in the bottom

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, the fact that one nerdy linguistics professor's doofy passion project somehow became the template for the entire genre, to the point that a ton of fantasy-lit fans evaluate works more on worldbuilding than story, is a terrible cosmic mistake

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

coincidentally i just came across this and ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, the fact that one nerdy linguistics professor's doofy passion project somehow became the template for the entire genre, to the point that a ton of fantasy-lit fans evaluate works more on worldbuilding than story, is a terrible cosmic mistake

Same thing happened with Lovecraft-alikes, people took the monsters and the scope of the setting and missed the part where the people involved think that they're going crazy because they actually fuckin' could be because this poo poo is too stupid to be real and they don't want it to be and the ramifications it would have if it were true would be too massive to cope with; remember that part of the mythos is "I fell into a hole while travelling the Australian outback and landed in a massive underground library written by time-travelling brain-surfing triangle aliens but they're all gone now and so is the hole" and also "humanity was invented by aliens as a joke." Also, inexplicably, more than one misses the part where if the person involved is actually doing the business of writing the loving thing down somewhere physical, they have to survive the encounter.

Read The Cult of the Nose, though, that thing is awesome.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Somfin posted:

Also, inexplicably, more than one misses the part where if the person involved is actually doing the business of writing the loving thing down somewhere physical, they have to survive the encounter.

One of my perverse joys in dreadful prose is how many bad writers will gently caress this up, or otherwise completely break first-person POV.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah JRRT was really the king of that kind of stuff. One fictional language wasn't enough, huh? Gotta pretend you're translating it from one into another? If Frodo were a real person, it would be pretty stupid and more than a little racist to try and translate the meaning instead of the sounds.

Like imagine if you met a Chinese woman and she was like "my name is Yawen" and you went "oh, okay, so I'm gonna call you Elegant Cloud or Elclow for short since that's what your name means"

Well that's what happened with the Native Americans when white people met them.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Antivehicular posted:

One of my perverse joys in dreadful prose is how many bad writers will gently caress this up, or otherwise completely break first-person POV.

Nah, dawg, it's just, like, his ghost telling the story.

One of my favorite short stories is from the perspective of a dead author, but the whole story is a set-up to explain the dude's thought process while he's deciding to commit suicide, so there's really no other way to do it, and it's well set-up/explained.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

I use things like that because I do worldbuilding and conlanging as a hobby, and don't plan to ever write a story using them.

Worldbuilding can be useful for fantasy and sci fi to flesh things out, but you can absolutely tell the ones who go overboard and/or stupid with it. Like, even though I like Tolkien's stuff, to use one of the current examples in the thread, he is for sure an example of overboard (so many songs, and unnecessary fluff).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You can have your opinions, but I'll never forgive Peter Jackson for removing Tom Bombadil from the movies. I WILL HAVE JUSTICE FOR TOM BOMBADIL!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

muscles like this! posted:

Well that's what happened with the Native Americans when white people met them.

Also, European monarchs were until very recently generally referred to by their cognate name in other languages (Henry/Henrik/Heinrich, George/Jørgen/Jürgen, etc). Probably a remnant of their names being translated to/from latin in earlier times.

Also also, up until the 1800s in Scandinavia, it was fairly common to "translate" the name of someone who immigrated from the brother countries: Svän Pährsson in Sweden would become Svend Petersen in Denmark.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Somfin posted:

Also, inexplicably, more than one misses the part where if the person involved is actually doing the business of writing the loving thing down somewhere physical, they have to survive the encounter.

To be fair, Lovecraft himself had a few stories where the narrator keeps writing well past the point of plausibility. Eg, "Dagon", where the narrator is still writing even as he goes to leap out a window to escape a monster...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

That's not at all comparable to translating a literary work (even imaginarily translating an imaginary literary work) though. And translators do do that.

e: not the abbreviating bit

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Like most topics in translation, trying to come up with a universal one-and-done rule for how names should be translated is gonna be an impossible task because of differences in language and culture, and trying to balance emotional impact vs literal meaning.

In conclusion it is a land of contrasts and ALSO you should spell it "Sefirosu" like in the JAPANESESE

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Worldbuilding can be really fun, but it doesn't have to be that deep to support a consistent and believable fantasy story. You might need to know more details if you're worldbuilding for a game, but for novels, you only have to know what's relevant.

I remember seeing a screenshot of a Twitter rant about "bad" worldbuilding where the OP claimed that writers had to explain who domesticated the horses the characters ride and the grain they use to make their bread. They also seemed confused about the concept of forests in areas with harsh winters. It was... frustrating to see that list being passed around as useful writing advice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Angry Salami posted:

To be fair, Lovecraft himself had a few stories where the narrator keeps writing well past the point of plausibility. Eg, "Dagon", where the narrator is still writing even as he goes to leap out a window to escape a monster...

This was just kind of a trend with the epistolary writing style, see the original Dracula.

Shwoo posted:

Worldbuilding can be really fun, but it doesn't have to be that deep to support a consistent and believable fantasy story. You might need to know more details if you're worldbuilding for a game, but for novels, you only have to know what's relevant.

I remember seeing a screenshot of a Twitter rant about "bad" worldbuilding where the OP claimed that writers had to explain who domesticated the horses the characters ride and the grain they use to make their bread. They also seemed confused about the concept of forests in areas with harsh winters. It was... frustrating to see that list being passed around as useful writing advice.

I'm reminded of one author who got a ton of bitching about how they depicted horses in their fantasy story, so they changed the horses to giant lizards and the complaints all stopped. And just ask TG about 'verisimilitude', step back and watch the PTSD attacks. (it's even worse in RPGs, to say the least)

The joke goes that Tolkein invented fantasy languages and then wrote novels for them to exist in. Also he took them seriously- one gift he got from a fan was a goblet with the One Ring inscription around it, but since he could actually read it Tolkein wasn't comfortable drinking from it. So he used it as an ashtray.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Angry Salami posted:

To reverse that on you, The Music of Erich Zann includes a sequence in which a non-viewpoint character desperately attempting to write out some small piece of their life story as the void bears down on them, and is also, easily, one of Lovecraft's best stories

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol as pilloried in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the end of the Mythos story The Hounds of Tindalos by Frank Belknap Long

On another sheet of paper, the most badly charred of the seven or eight fragments found by Detective Sergeant Douglas (of the Partridgeville Reserve), was scrawled the following:

"Good God, the plaster is falling! A terrific shock has loosened the plaster and it is falling. An earthquake perhaps! I never could have anticipated this. It is growing dark in the room. I must phone Frank. But can he get here in time? I will try. I will recite the Einstein formula. I will—God. they are breaking through! They are breaking through! Smoke is pouring from the corners of the wall. Their tongues—ahhhhh—"

Ahhhhhhh :o:

NoneMoreNegative has a new favorite as of 12:36 on Feb 13, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shwoo posted:

I remember seeing a screenshot of a Twitter rant about "bad" worldbuilding where the OP claimed that writers had to explain who domesticated the horses the characters ride and the grain they use to make their bread. They also seemed confused about the concept of forests in areas with harsh winters.

Not really on-topic but reminded me of a friend of my sister's. We used to live on an island and when the friend found out the island had meese, they asked my sister "HOW DID THEY GET THERE?!?!??"

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Shwoo posted:

I kind of have to disagree. I don't think the problem is deep worldbuilding and thinking way past the limits of the story you want to tell, since that stuff contributes a lot to consistency and believability. It's thinking that all the stuff you thought of has to go into the finished story. Go ahead and come up with some elaborate pre-history that explains where the horses came from, but don't feel like you need to include it if it doesn't end up relevant to the story.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol as pilloried in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the end of the Mythos story The Hounds of Tindalos by Frank Belknap Long

On another sheet of paper, the most badly charred of the seven or eight fragments found by Detective Sergeant Douglas (of the Partridgeville Reserve), was scrawled the following:

"Good God, the plaster is falling! A terrific shock has loosened the plaster and it is falling. An earthquake perhaps! I never could have anticipated this. It is growing dark in the room. I must phone Frank. But can he get here in time? I will try. I will recite the Einstein formula. I will—God. they are breaking through! They are breaking through! Smoke is pouring from the corners of the wall. Their tongues—ahhhhh—"

Ahhhhhhh :o:

"E=mc2! E=mc2! E=mc2! Ahhhhhh-"

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

Not really on-topic but reminded me of a friend of my sister's. We used to live on an island and when the friend found out the island had meese, they asked my sister "HOW DID THEY GET THERE?!?!??"

Meese can swim!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFKoNuc4YAU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

there wolf posted:

I kind of have to disagree. I don't think the problem is deep worldbuilding and thinking way past the limits of the story you want to tell, since that stuff contributes a lot to consistency and believability. It's thinking that all the stuff you thought of has to go into the finished story. Go ahead and come up with some elaborate pre-history that explains where the horses came from, but don't feel like you need to include it if it doesn't end up relevant to the story.

yeah but like drat do people like to state that no you NEED to include it so your readers know you did the work. those types of readers are the ones making those posts on Twitter etc and that's the content of the posts: "you need to do this and you need to put it in the work or your work isn't fully fleshed out" it is writing advice from the readers who write to editors to complain that the author is an idiot who failed to reasonably explain in the story how and why these people knew how to bake bread when in the real world blah blah blah

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Yeah, I love worldbuilding. It's really fascinating, and I tinker with my worlds all the time. It just gets annoying when people insist that every detail of the world must be there on the page, or it doesn't exist.

I found the screenshots I was thinking of, and the specific wordings for the wheat and horse things were "Who domesticated the wheat that you're using to make that bread?" and "Uhm, also, who is breeding all of those horses? And where did they come from originally? Like, how did they end up here?"

Like it's unrealistic to have bread unless you go into detail about its entire history. It's just bread.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Shwoo posted:

Like it's unrealistic to have bread unless you go into detail about its entire history. It's just bread.

We don't even know that poo poo about our own world!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The forest one is wrong too since some of the biggest forests on the Earth are in Canada and Siberia.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I think it's easy for both writers and nitpickers to realize that, in the context of creating the setting of a story, worldbuilding only matters when it affects the narrative. If the only purpose of horses are to carry characters around your map, why does it matter how they were domesticated? Maybe it's fun for the writer to decide that all horses in this world arrive from hell-portals and are bound by ancient blood pacts, but unless the plot involves, I dunno, the pacts expiring and the Ur-Horse demanding mass sacrifice of teenage girls in denim skirts to renew them, putting that in the the text is just a distraction.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Sagebrush posted:

The key is to come up with all this stuff, and then don't show it to people. Just use it to keep things consistent, maybe as a treat for sharper readers. "Wait, why did he mention the Ur-Horse ag-oh, right, the hell-portals."

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
does anyone know when the pratchett estate is going to release, like, his unabridged notes or whatever? when's the discworld silmarillion due out. i wanna, fuckin, roll in that poo poo like a goddamn lusty piglet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You mean the notes that got crushed by a steamroller?