Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Also got an 20 pack of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ry4QBQejFU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
China giving out PLA rations yet?

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Books On Tape posted:

I went on Amazon and bought a 25 pound bucket of pinto beans, a 25 pound bucket of rice, a 50 gallon rainwater collection barrel that I could fill with a hose. Based on a previous recommendation, bought the 80 gallon BOB that could be placed in the tub, and a propane cooking stove. I’ll buy a propane tank next time I’m near Home Depot. Have about 25 pounds of flour I use to make pasta with, and enough canned veggies and other pantry items that my family wouldn’t have to leave the house if necessary for at least 6-8 weeks if properly rationed, even if utilities were out.

I’m not going to go more overboard than that. Cost about $200 for all of the stuff I just bought, and if it proves to be unnecessary, I can water the lawn with the water, use the beans and rice over time, and have a portable stove (can also use butane) for camping.

Feel better that family could hunker down in the unlikely event, and that I don’t have to go panic buying anything even if things become evidently serious.

Couple weeks ago, I also dropped $170 stocking up on general medical supplies: Masks, warm mister, decongestants, and vapor products to keep lungs clear.

Edit: I also live in Texas, and spring isn’t too far off. When at Home Depot, I’ll also invest in seeds. Have a nice garden in the backyard that currently isn’t planted. Would be a good idea to change that this season. Will grow lots of green beans and peas and other veggies that could go well with rice and beans.

Jamsta posted:

Yeah boissssss

lmao

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 23, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

China giving out PLA rations yet?

No. They've already got one pandemic on their hands, no need for a second.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

sincx posted:

Lol

I mean, maybe I shouldn't say anything, since I found an unopened, unnoticed box of 60 N95 masks at Home Depot stashed in a corner and bought them all, but at least I go through N95 masks semi-quickly anyways for housework and yard work so they'll be used.

I think there's a pretty high chance most of those MREs will never be touched.

I bought a box of them a few years back and finished them off before the 5 year expire date. Mainly because they were really tasty, not at all a chore to eat.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Play posted:

Do we even know, at this point, what the death rate is? Like, if 100 people were infected with coronavirus how many would likely die? Obviously conditions make a large difference there I suppose but it does seem to be quite deadly for those who get it
Assuming the numbers of china aren't wild lies, there are two numbers we have any knowledge on.

Out of all cases where the outcome is known: 19% died (known SARS data: 8%-15%)
Out of all infections so far: 2.5% died (known SARS data: 3%-10%)

Source: https://twitter.com/mithaldu/status/1227032638139109379

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Mithaldu posted:

Out of all cases where the outcome is known: 19% died (known SARS data: 8%-15%)
Out of all infections so far: 2.5% died (known SARS data: 3%-10%)

What does "outcome is known" mean exactly? Is that like all the situations where there are either documented recoveries or documented deaths? And then the second number is just comparing the total "infected" numbers with the "deceased" numbers?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

14,840 NEW CASES ANNOUNCED!

we ded

e: 242 new deaths

e2:

https://twitter.com/lookner/status/1227741378735636480

Jamsta fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 13, 2020

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Why bats mastah bruce?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Books On Tape posted:

I went on Amazon and bought a 25 pound bucket of pinto beans, a 25 pound bucket of rice, a 50 gallon rainwater collection barrel that I could fill with a hose. Based on a previous recommendation, bought the 80 gallon BOB that could be placed in the tub, and a propane cooking stove. I’ll buy a propane tank next time I’m near Home Depot. Have about 25 pounds of flour I use to make pasta with, and enough canned veggies and other pantry items that my family wouldn’t have to leave the house if necessary for at least 6-8 weeks if properly rationed, even if utilities were out.

I’m not going to go more overboard than that. Cost about $200 for all of the stuff I just bought, and if it proves to be unnecessary, I can water the lawn with the water, use the beans and rice over time, and have a portable stove (can also use butane) for camping.

Feel better that family could hunker down in the unlikely event, and that I don’t have to go panic buying anything even if things become evidently serious.

Couple weeks ago, I also dropped $170 stocking up on general medical supplies: Masks, warm mister, decongestants, and vapor products to keep lungs clear.

Edit: I also live in Texas, and spring isn’t too far off. When at Home Depot, I’ll also invest in seeds. Have a nice garden in the backyard that currently isn’t planted. Would be a good idea to change that this season. Will grow lots of green beans and peas and other veggies that could go well with rice and beans.

Source your quotes, which idiot pepper subreddit did you find this on

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Play posted:

What does "outcome is known" mean exactly? Is that like all the situations where there are either documented recoveries or documented deaths? And then the second number is just comparing the total "infected" numbers with the "deceased" numbers?

Exactly.

Jamsta posted:

we ded

e: 242 new deaths

e2: https://twitter.com/lookner/status/1227741378735636480

oof

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Jamsta posted:

According to this it's "only" 8000 new cases, but we'll see.

https://ncov.dxy.cn/ncovh5/view/pneumonia

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
we're all gonna die

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Hamelekim posted:

I bought a box of them a few years back and finished them off before the 5 year expire date. Mainly because they were really tasty, not at all a chore to eat.

They are not "really tasty" and of course they're not a chore to eat, it's all bagged crap.

Haven't had an MRE in 14 years, but after 4 years in the army, no. Never again. They're poo poo, leave you constipated, not at all worth it when real food is an option.

Just buy regular, stockable food like rices, soups, etc. At least with a bunch of beans you're going to stay regular.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Looking at the chinese text he linked:

They were reporting only cases that had already developed pneumonia.

Now they're reporting all infections.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

we're all gonna die

something like that would never happen to me. i'm an american, we have laws. everything is fine.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

poverty goat posted:

we have laws. everything is fine.

I have two pieces of bad news for you

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

poverty goat posted:

i'm an american, we have laws
sometimes it is true that this is a comedy forum

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1227746550886961154

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

VikingSkull posted:

we're all gonna die

which is why it's more important now than ever not to waste time on your loved ones. Personally, I'm using the last of my numbered days by being especially lovely on the internet, it's very fun.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

chances of dying were always 100%

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

:chanpop:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

which is why it's more important now than ever not to waste time on your loved ones. Personally, I'm using the last of my numbered days by being especially lovely on the internet, it's very fun.

im painting warhammer 40k planes

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Mithaldu posted:

Looking at the chinese text he linked:

They were reporting only cases that had already developed pneumonia.

Now they're reporting all infections.

this is annoying because while it's more accurate it also makes it hard to see the trend from before

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
More than 200 death today, gently caress!

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

stephenthinkpad posted:

are they counting those the same, since previously there were reports saying that patients with comorbidity were not included in the coronavirus count?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yes

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Only in china. And the increase of deaths yesterday was lower than the trend would indicate.

Mozi posted:

this is annoying because while it's more accurate it also makes it hard to see the trend from before
Interestingly if you look at https://ncov.dxy.cn/ncovh5/view/pneumonia , there's two numbers for infections:

52451 Existing diagnosis
59650 cumulative diagnoses

And i presume that given that cumulative is what is now reported, "existing" was the previous number of "only lab-diagnosed" cases. And existing is 8000 cases more than yesterday, which is still an increase 2x as big as any increase before.

This makes me think that they are sneaking through two changes at once here, trying to use one to camouflage the other.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Typical HubeiWood Accounting! :rolleyes: Make sure you get a percentage of the gross, not net! (dead people are gross)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
C pandemic status: developed a strong productive deep lung cough in last 2 hours

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

bob dobbs is dead posted:

C pandemic status: developed a strong productive deep lung cough in last 2 hours

well, at least you have the right username

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Play posted:

well, at least you have the right username

If he was "lou dobbs is dead" I'd sport wood every time I see his name, like it's the best newspaper headline of the day.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Can I have your goon convention tee shirts and shot glass?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Screenshotted 1 hour apart:

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Screenshotted 1 hour apart:

is this that new pandemic video game?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Holy loving poo poo! The good news this week really was a lie!! :alarm:

https://twitter.com/XHNews/status/1227523779150041094
https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1227746550886961154

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

ma i married a tuna posted:

are they counting those the same, since previously there were reports saying that patients with comorbidity were not included in the coronavirus count?
Actually what do you base that answer on?

Both the infected and the deaths counts counts increased by over 2x on the same day. There is no reason for the deaths to increase that much given previous behavior, unless:

- they were generally under-reporting and resynchronized
or
- cases previously not considered diagnosed, but already dead, were now considered diagnosed and added to the death count retroactively

In both cases 100 of those new deaths wouldn't be actually new since yesterday, but only added retroactively.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The most important question is: Has Madagascar closed their borders yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

quote:

The announcement did not specify the number of punished officials but named and shamed several of them whose malfeasance ranges from dereliction of duty to defying quarantine rules to hold banquets.

Sheng Congfeng, a director at Wuhan's municipal culture and tourism department, was removed from office for deserting. He was accused of visiting his home province of Anhui for holiday on Jan. 23 without prior reporting.

Zhang Xinfu, vice-principal of a primary school in Tongcheng County, was expelled from the Communist Party of China (CPC).

Zhang allegedly hid the fact that he had visited the epidemic epicenter Wuhan with his wife and insisted on holding a birthday feast for his father on Jan. 22, attended by villagers and colleagues. Two days later, his wife was diagnosed with the novel coronavirus pneumonia, while Zhang refused to cooperate with an investigation. ■
Oof.