Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
The goon perk is the chat it is (mostly) very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Akratic Method posted:

I was in there briefly to report a bug (that was actual just a minor display bug that was already known) so I’ve joined the channel. Where do I post for Special Goon Perks?

just toss me a pm on discord and i'll slap the goon role on.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

something posted:

just toss me a pm on discord and i'll slap the goon role on.

4g so violent it's his Canadian nature

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Unponderable posted:

Game gives you free IAP at a rate comparable to NGU, but you're right that IAP purchases are important. The most egregious example being the Infinity Forge which is all but mandatory for mid-late game progression.

The developer is also notoriously slow to fix bugs, though most of the bugs don't pop up til closer to endgame.

Still, I've enjoyed my time with Idle Skilling overall.

I played it before he put in the arcade and hoops secret, and it sucked. Both those items made it much easier to get the IAP stuff which has made the game way more fun.

The infinity forge is the only one that's really "necessary", at least. Everything else is worth it but you can live without.

I've been playing IS instead of NGU lately. IS is great because it has tons of things that you can focus on doing, even near the endgame. Lots of numbers to go up. The biggest frustration is that the dev seems to hate doing QOL and bug fixes, and he still hasn't updated the PC version.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

something posted:

yup, pm me on Discord for access.

Done!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

something posted:

yup, pm me on Discord for access.

Just PM'd you as well.

Is there a good way to beat Uug? I tried with the ring of apathy and 600k power/380k toughness, which I read should be enough, but got blapped in like three turns.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Just PM'd you as well.

Is there a good way to beat Uug? I tried with the ring of apathy and 600k power/380k toughness, which I read should be enough, but got blapped in like three turns.

is the ring maxed? that's pretty important

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Fool posted:

is the ring maxed? that's pretty important

Nope, it is not. I'd assume the daycare is going to be a big part of maxing that, given that it seems batshit rare?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Nope, it is not. I'd assume the daycare is going to be a big part of maxing that, given that it seems batshit rare?

it's not actually that bad, iirc I just idled the zone while doing a challenge it went pretty quickly
and if you think this items drop rate is bad, you haven't seen anything yet

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Fool posted:

it's not actually that bad, iirc I just idled the zone while doing a challenge it went pretty quickly
and if you think this items drop rate is bad, you haven't seen anything yet

Is it effected by the drop rate digger and blood magic? I might just crank those and idle that zone for a while.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

affirmative

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

Adventure communist is like an ad watching simulator

I honestly went back to kittens game. Phone games suck!!!

I reinstalled Clickpocalypse II recently because I wanted a decent idle game on my phone. It's pretty handsoff but fun.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Posting here at 4G's request for sweet goon tagness

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Realm Grinder has a Valentine's event going and even if you don't care about the Quest/Feat upgrades the Call to Arms spell is like 100 Mana a cast.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pope Guilty posted:

Realm Grinder has a Valentine's event going and even if you don't care about the Quest/Feat upgrades the Call to Arms spell is like 100 Mana a cast.

I used to really enjoy realm grinder but my interest for that game fell off hard. It feels like if you’re not following a wiki you may as well not bother.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

I used to really enjoy realm grinder but my interest for that game fell off hard. It feels like if you’re not following a wiki you may as well not bother.

That's accurate, along with
- huge time-wall unlocks that are absolutely required to progress (spell tiers, lineages, dragon faction)
- the developers routinely taking good builds and then nerfing the gently caress out of them causing an ever-widening gap between end-game and people-trying-to-get-to-end-game players
- overall bad pacing (either you're rebirthing every few minutes with lots of intense clicking, or you're rebirthing once a day or less, with very little in-between).
- fiddly required buff-builds required to progress. For THIS build to work properly, first you have to run these 4 other builds in the correct order for a few hours, and then you have to make sure your playtime of THIS faction is higher than THAT faction, otherwise the build doesn't work at all

Despite that I still come back to it once every 6 months or so and work through the content. The worst time to play is right after a major patch, because the community hasn't figured out how to get past all of the progress walls the developers have introduced (see point #2 above).

Idle wizard is even worse than realm grinder for all of these things, which is unfortunate because I like the core concept and WANT to like it.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think my biggest takeaway from all this discourse is that NGU is actually the best idle game. No other game has really managed to hold my attention for months on end, and I appreciate that it doesn't require me to actively play for hours at a time.

Feels like the only other game I've played that has even come close is Trimps.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arzaac posted:

I think my biggest takeaway from all this discourse is that NGU is actually the best idle game. No other game has really managed to hold my attention for months on end, and I appreciate that it doesn't require me to actively play for hours at a time.

Feels like the only other game I've played that has even come close is Trimps.

I’ve been playing it for about four months and I have never been hooked on an idle game like this. I like that there’s always some kind of short-term goal to work towards, with learning new mechanics as a long-term goal. The short term goals are small enough that even if you’re not playing optimally you’ll make progress, which is what Realm Grinder and the like fails miserably at.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

I’ve been playing it for about four months and I have never been hooked on an idle game like this. I like that there’s always some kind of short-term goal to work towards, with learning new mechanics as a long-term goal. The short term goals are small enough that even if you’re not playing optimally you’ll make progress, which is what Realm Grinder and the like fails miserably at.

This, to me, is the key thing in a good incremental game: If you engage with the game systems in good faith, you should make progress.

It is something that Realm Grinder is terrible at, except in the very early game (and sometimes immediately after a paradigm shift). If I tried to setup a research build myself, it would never be as good as one off a wiki. And because of the nature of Realm Grinder, that would mean I would never make real progress.

In NGU, I know that ~24 hour rebirths are optimal. This can be deduced by looking in game: There are things that make the first fruit use in a rebirth better, and fruits refresh in 24 hours. Even if I did not find this out, by wiki or deduction, and I just do 3 day rebirths or week long rebirths, I am still making progress. It is not 100% optimal, but it is not like trying to walk to the moon.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Anti-Idle is also really good with this. It helps that it's not totally based on rebirths/ascensions so there's no repetitive ramp-up before you get to the progress-making. Between raids, quests, missions, bestiary completion, museum completion, legendary monsters in the trading card game, garden maxing, arcade medals, and a zillion different currencies and stats to go up it's a lot of content to keep interest. There's no IAPs/monetization at all so you don't feel like you're missing out on anything by not putting real money in, but the catch with that is that the dev went AWOL for a few years and hasn't made much progress on the mobile version or sequel. No money earned = no incentive to keep expanding and improving the game. NGU's active dev is what really makes it stand out above other idle games.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Hail dino satan

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arbetor posted:

In NGU, I know that ~24 hour rebirths are optimal. This can be deduced by looking in game: There are things that make the first fruit use in a rebirth better, and fruits refresh in 24 hours. Even if I did not find this out, by wiki or deduction, and I just do 3 day rebirths or week long rebirths, I am still making progress. It is not 100% optimal, but it is not like trying to walk to the moon.

Plus, even things that are optimal in the general case aren’t always optimal for every situation. My current rebirth is on hour 36 because I’m grinding the ring of apathy to 100 so I can fight UUG. It’s slowing my general progress some, but it’ll unlock a new mechanic to speed things up. Plus, my NGU’s are going up and the ~10 percent I’ll keep from the advanced training and time machine levels will mean my next rebirth starts faster than this one.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Buzkashi posted:

Hail dino satan

I see your dinosaur and raise you a crappy butt

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I've been playing NGU for a couple weeks, and only found out it was a goon joint when I happened to see the shout-out on the special thanks page while searching for Walderp. It's a cool game, I'm probably going to go a big challenge binge this weekend.

I've sent a DM for the discord, let me in when you have the chance.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I see your butt and raise you a shiny:

Notambo
Mar 13, 2007
wait what
NGU Idle has become the only idle game I have stuck with. I think my favorite part is how the progress for idling and active play are both super rewarding but in different ways.

Lemme in on the discord channel!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I think that NGU is a tad on the slow side, but it’s still way better paced than every other idle game out there. After grinding enough days, there’s always new content to unlock which feeds into itself to create self-perpetuating loops of advancement. I may be frustrated that I can’t take on Nerd.v2 but I know I’ll get there eventually. I can see the goal down the line, and I know that every rebirth makes things go faster.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Its been a week since i got a PP card now, and it is also the only bonus i have tagged...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Meinberg posted:

I think that NGU is a tad on the slow side, but it’s still way better paced than every other idle game out there. After grinding enough days, there’s always new content to unlock which feeds into itself to create self-perpetuating loops of advancement. I may be frustrated that I can’t take on Nerd.v2 but I know I’ll get there eventually. I can see the goal down the line, and I know that every rebirth makes things go faster.

I’ve been playing for 4 months and just beat UUG for the first time. It’s definitely on the slow side, but for a variety of reasons it’s actually managed to keep my attention. I like that playing actively is more doing a challenge that involves quick rebirths instead of clicking a button a lot or just chaining the same spells/skills over and over.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
A little more progress:

The main factory logic works now, so each tile is taking in the materials it requires, and producing what it produces. I asked the discord goons for suggestions for the tutorial materials, and so you're going to mine cardboard and glue ore to smelt into cardboard and glue bars. You'll eventually research new materials types and upgrades to various aspects of production.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

something posted:

A little more progress:

The main factory logic works now, so each tile is taking in the materials it requires, and producing what it produces. I asked the discord goons for suggestions for the tutorial materials, and so you're going to mine cardboard and glue ore to smelt into cardboard and glue bars. You'll eventually research new materials types and upgrades to various aspects of production.

drat it now you've given me a timer to beat NGU before NGU Industries comes out. :argh:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Xtanstic posted:

drat it now you've given me a timer to beat NGU before NGU Industries comes out. :argh:

Just play them both at the same time? Do you not have 3-5 idle games running at once or something?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I've been playing Shark Game and NGU a little too much in the past few weeks.

I was stuck trying to get the Antennae of the Exile but I got it to work after rebirthing, now I just have to wait for the Exile to spawn.

You have to assemble the fragments on the first page, right where the auto-merge slots are, right?

And since 4G wants proof of gooniness, NameNotFound#0728

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Just play them both at the same time? Do you not have 3-5 idle games running at once or something?

Never more than two usually. I'm not like most people in the thread. But I'm mostly kidding. Also I want to import my NGU save into NGU Industries so that it conserves my Shep-Liara romance.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

In response to your spoilered question, yes.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I usually do 1 at a time, only do 2 if there's long stretches of true idle time on the first one.
I quit Adventure Capitalist because you had to do mars, earth, and moon resets at the same time.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Having another Idle game so you can wait for your main Idle game to do poo poo is the optimal play style imo

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm generally only playing 1 idle game (NGU), but will play the fotm when a good one starts being talked about. The last being Arcanum.

I also play exclusively at work, so it could be said that's my primary idle game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I can’t play more than one idle game at a time because the time commitment is just too much.