Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Solumin posted:

Axis planes are my guilty pleasure because the teams will actually cover me.

Also the planes are easy mode.

I find US planes to be easy mode, especially at tier II. That P-40 is a fantastic plane at tier II and very fun to fly. All around solid vehicle. The A-36 is something I am just totally confused as to why people don't fly it more. It's literally a Mustang at tier II and it's a fighter bomber. The Corsair is a solid plane too, with it's really vulnerable engine it's biggest downfall.

Germany gets fun at tier III finally with the Franz and the FW-190 is an absolute murder machine, but other than that it can be a real chore because their armament is almost complete dog poo poo until tier III/IV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

dialhforhero posted:

The A-36 is something I am just totally confused as to why people don't fly it more.

:getin:

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
A-36 is what I usually used in CARB. For air RB I’d rather use the P-51. The hispanos used to be really sparky but upon revisiting it, the P-51’s four hispanos vaporize stuff now

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

didnt they give it gunpods recently too

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

dialhforhero posted:

I find US planes to be easy mode, especially at tier II. That P-40 is a fantastic plane at tier II and very fun to fly. All around solid vehicle. The A-36 is something I am just totally confused as to why people don't fly it more. It's literally a Mustang at tier II and it's a fighter bomber. The Corsair is a solid plane too, with it's really vulnerable engine it's biggest downfall.

Germany gets fun at tier III finally with the Franz and the FW-190 is an absolute murder machine, but other than that it can be a real chore because their armament is almost complete dog poo poo until tier III/IV

I've been playing Tier 3/Tier 4, where Germany/Italy really outpace the Allies. (Because American teams just want to mow the lawn or bomb bases, usually.) Show me an American plane that can outclimb a Bf-109 F or G.
I haven't flown the A-36 much recently because it got nerfed! It used to be even better, as terrifying as that thought is. But now it's too heavy or stiff, at least if you bring the gun pods. I'm sure it's still a good plane, it's just hard to fly when I remember how amazing it once was.

Britain is my main country so I'm used to bad guns on planes. Though I think people really underestimate Hispanos Mk II/Mk V.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

US planes are fast and have enough ammo that you can take speculative shots or lead and adjust in a way that a german or Russian pilot with 120 cannon rounds just cant.

A really skilled player can get the german or russian plane to do more, but if you aren't at that level then the US lets you go far with 'fly st them and click LMB'.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Alchenar posted:

US planes are fast and have enough ammo that you can take speculative shots or lead and adjust in a way that a german or Russian pilot with 120 cannon rounds just cant.

A really skilled player can get the german or russian plane to do more, but if you aren't at that level then the US lets you go far with 'fly st them and click LMB'.

I don't know, the skill floor of the plane game tends to be high enough that a newbie in a Russian plane will destroy a newbie in a US plane. US planes might have a lot more ammo but it doesn't usually get to the point where they use that much of it.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
The A-36 at tier 2 is a solid choice in SB when you want to farm ground units and still want to be able to take out those big bomber/attacker wings that spawn while STILL being agile and fast enough to dogfight AND STILL have enough ammo to do it.

I have ran out of gas before ammo before.

The P-40 does this to a lesser extent due to armament but the P-40 can take an absolute beating before it goes down and it still is stable as gently caress.

Basically I only play 2.3-4.7 br and I find the 2.3-3.3 to be a sweet spot for fun atm.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Also at 640 kph at tier 2 I am warming up to the he-100.

I can’t stand Brit planes though. As easy as it is to fly a spit, the drat planes are too drat slow. Like being in a burly attack plane for any other country at a paltry 340-380 kph.

American planes are great because they are mostly energy fighters but are way more forgiving than the German planes. This coming from a guy who loves 109s and 190s.

I would always choose a 190 over anything because that roll rate and guns :allears: but if I would say best overall and most fun go to America :patriot:

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 13, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Any tips on grinding through air 7.3? The queue times for AB and RB are terrible.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

MrYenko posted:

Any tips on grinding through air 7.3? The queue times for AB and RB are terrible.

What nation? I've never had too much trouble with the queue times for that BR in RB but it's been a bit since I last went through it.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
My AV just picked this up
https://imgur.com/a/nfL82O5

trojan-banker.win32.agent.apph in the aces.exe.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Oh good is this from a patch today or...? I literally bough fun bux about a week ago.

I have an AV but I haven’t run a deep scan.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ArchRanger posted:

What nation? I've never had too much trouble with the queue times for that BR in RB but it's been a bit since I last went through it.

:911:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I feel like every week there's someone on the steam forum saying war thunder is a giant virus

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
That’s Kaspersky right? Only Kaspersky is flagging, probably a heuristic false positive. That being said disable the Gaijin agent from autorun at startup and make sure to end its process when you aren’t playing. Literally zero reason that poo poo is running when the game isn’t active.

A part of me does kind of hope this game is just quietly injecting malware though, mainly for the internet response.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

If it's just about queue time there's not much that can be done about it, I'm used to waiting about 4 minutes for a match in tier 5 and 6. Best advice I have is to go for the F-84G as it's in a pretty good place right now, and never try turnfighting. I never *quite* got the hang of the P-80/whatever it's called now but you need to take advantage of being able to outroll anything German, especially the Hortons, as those were what I always had the most trouble with. It also feels like the difference between a stock and spaded aircraft is a lot more severe in the jet tiers than in props, which makes it much harder keeping energy in comparison to what you're fighting, so it might just be a matter of grinding out engine upgrades before you're really competitive.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Personally, the P-38's are and will always be my jam. I'm also liking the mid-tier Swedish planes, although 95% of the reason I'm going at that line is for when they release the Saab Draken.

I dunno, I guess I just like twin-boom aircraft.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Hortens are extremely easy to deal with in anything as soon as you learn that they can't yaw for poo poo. Any horizontal movement will just trash their aim since they have to rely on rolling and pitching to bring their guns back on target.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

YF-23 posted:

Hortens are extremely easy to deal with in anything as soon as you learn that they can't yaw for poo poo. Any horizontal movement will just trash their aim since they have to rely on rolling and pitching to bring their guns back on target.

My problem was always that they seemed to retain and build energy faster than anything I was flying so while I could dodge them for a while they'd eventually wear me down to where I couldn't dodge any longer. That maybe part of the aforementioned stock versus spaded thing though. Also that the P-80 was my first jet so I was extremely bad at it.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

MrYenko posted:

Squad up with someone on the opposite side of the fixed matchmaking to force a mixed match and cut queues down hard. There's no other way around it but wait for Gaijin to show a lick of wisdom and put Sweden and more on the either-or list.

Rorac posted:

I'm also liking the mid-tier Swedish planes, although 95% of the reason I'm going at that line is for when they release the Saab Draken.
21s are good but the jet 21s are not in a good place with constant uptiers and downtiers against planes that make them look like poorly performing bricks that cannot hit for poo poo.

Then you finally get the J29A and find out the cannons are Hiparko. And TIL they are lacking Swedish designed mineshot rounds which would make them useful and not reliant on luck. So you suffer through that and get the J29F, same cannons, suffer until the missiles get research and then your KDR quickly starts to even out even though those Rb24 easily catch a bad case of ADHD and buzz off as if the seeker had 360 degree coverage.

And then you get the J32B and feel like you finally earned a reward for your suffering.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 13, 2020

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
I have got to get my hands on a better Russian plane, but then again I haven't played in a couple of years so of course I only have dinky biplanes that get shredded in Arcade.

Gideon020 fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 14, 2020

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Just played the most frustrating game. Got sniped from a location that I didn't know you could actually get to on Finland. Being the good teammate I was, I spawned as a SPAA and pinged the top of his turret every few seconds or so, and plastered his location with artillery. I marked the location on the map every few seconds, and typed,

"M10 sniping from here, if you go to A point you will die!"

<7 teammates drive through there and die>

I physically block the path, and spam chat and the map, but they keep driving straight into his ambush.

His kill count at the end of the match was 14.

The red arrow was where he was perched, the green arrow was the highway of death my teammates insisted on driving down. And the red/orange star was where everyone was getting killed.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

There's teams where allies are checking chat and coordinating and then there's ones like that. Sometimes your team just straight up doesn't deserve to win.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

YF-23 posted:

There's teams where allies are checking chat and coordinating and then there's ones like that. Sometimes your team just straight up doesn't deserve to win.

The mind-boggling part was that at least half of my team went in there for seconds, knowing full well they were going to die again because he had a spot that offered him nearly perfect protection.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Kept matching into games with this vulching dipshit tonight flying an FJ-4B with rocket pods who snuck around the map to strip the enemy airfield of AAA, then waited for people to come in to land and murked them in a steep dive with the rockets. In the last game it was just me and him left after he vulched my team's other survivor. My MiG was naturally out of ammo and there was no way I was getting more but I had already poo poo-talked him in a previous match so it wasn't like I could just J out.

So I circled my airfield at altitude waiting for him to show himself. It took a few minutes but eventually he charged at me, missed a ton of shots, and got corkscrewed until I was fully on his stupid rear end. I was trying to land a ram when I guess he got rattled and crashed his poo poo into the ground totally unprovoked. First time I ever won a dogfight with zero ammo. Anyway if this was one of you guys I just wanted to say gently caress you.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I’m one of the wiffed rockets

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Jet RB fills me with questions of BRs and repairs and buffalo diarrhea dumps in the ear of how extra fucky stock syndrome is in everybody-are-in-premium-missile-jets to 10.3-toptiers range, and then how limited ammo (time til out of it is what matters) sometimes is and is not used for BR and in the J32B it's over 200k RP to get the missiles which means a lot of landing and rearming and dying to missiles and having no choice but to groundpound, with all 360 rounds, that are gone in two seconds, all that amount of drat RP.

What I learned from grinding those missiles out is that I best wager out a few thousand GE for the time the J35 launches and save what little sanity is left.

At least it's not top tier tanks.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

I just do a couple rounds of air assault occasionally. They've not upped the difficulty at top tier at all and you often see a pair of phantoms carrying hard enough that it gets difficult to lose. Boring as hell but not too bad if you have podcasts to listen to or another monitor with YouTube on.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

Jet RB fills me with questions of BRs and repairs and buffalo diarrhea dumps in the ear of how extra fucky stock syndrome is in everybody-are-in-premium-missile-jets to 10.3-toptiers range, and then how limited ammo (time til out of it is what matters) sometimes is and is not used for BR and in the J32B it's over 200k RP to get the missiles which means a lot of landing and rearming and dying to missiles and having no choice but to groundpound, with all 360 rounds, that are gone in two seconds, all that amount of drat RP.

What I learned from grinding those missiles out is that I best wager out a few thousand GE for the time the J35 launches and save what little sanity is left.

At least it's not top tier tanks.

The J32's cannons are ADENs which are perfectly capable for air-to-air, they just take a bit of learning. That RPG is pretty poor but you can definitely make it work. I'm sorry to say this, but if you are bad at killing planes with ADENs and are expecting missiles to save you, you'll be in for a disappointment; your best bet is to use the plane to kill other fighters with your guns and get good enough at that that you won't be SOL when your missiles inevitably fail to kill.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

YF-23 posted:

The J32's cannons are ADENs which are perfectly capable for air-to-air, they just take a bit of learning. That RPG is pretty poor but you can definitely make it work. I'm sorry to say this, but if you are bad at killing planes with ADENs and are expecting missiles to save you, you'll be in for a disappointment; your best bet is to use the plane to kill other fighters with your guns and get good enough at that that you won't be SOL when your missiles inevitably fail to kill.

I'm fine with ADEN compared to J29A J29F shitcannons which cannot even strafe people sitting at the runway (a unique shelltype is missing from the game rendering them poo poo), it's just that it's hard to kill with 360 shells on console which can only dream of reaching 30fps which verified fucks with player input and input lag because Gaijin are incompetents that deserve to see their game risk immediate death unless they immediately shape up and start fixing things, and then there's the fact that the J32B is not meant to turn, Swedish jets are 100% support jets that can only 1on1 another Swedish jet or a jet limping home to airfield for emergency repairs. I get my safest kills from rushing into the furball at something that looks slow and out of energy and staying as still as possible because J32B will rip its wings far outside of redline speeds from simple aileron rolls.

Fly 'em when you get 'em and find out how fucky things are with jet BRs.

The Swedish Rb24 acts like the other missiles recently, if one ignores the target dead ahead of me being the sole heat source which it locked onto and swings around to shoot me up to the rear end I will not be surprised. They are still a huge boost of kills.

e: watching replays either it's true that we cannot get full control surface effect out on console no matter how we tweak the more advanced settings, or a spaded J32B really is 3-5 times the plane
e: plugged in an early 90's flight stick with a USB adapter, SB test flight, and guess what feels like a turnfighter? My performance-stock J32B. gently caress Gaijin.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 17, 2020

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

finally grinding your way to the top tiers of this game only to find that it sucks rear end compared to low BR games is one of the truly awesome things about war thunder

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

You know what else is awesome?

Firing a missile at a jet on a winter-time map.

The missile considering PLANET EARTH heat source number one and heading straight for it.

Thrice.

Despite ensuring clear balanced horizontal lock the second time, and a lock up in the blue skies the third.

*Before firing the fourth I rolled into a turn at 800kmh and lost a wing*

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

free hubcaps posted:

finally grinding your way to the top tiers of this game only to find that it sucks rear end compared to low BR games is one of the truly awesome things about war thunder

Yup. That was my experience as well. The only time I venture above Pz4F2/Kv-1 territory is when I have a "destroy 6 heavy tanks" daily task and want to get it over in a match or two.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What are the best BRs for maximum fun?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

What are the best BRs for maximum fun?

Depending on what country you play, there's different sweet spots. Most of everyone has good poo poo going for them everywhere up to 4.3-4.7 (with some exceptions like France having an abyssmal reserve-tier lineup). Britain has a really strong 6.7 game, Germany has a lot of really good tanks at 5.3-5.7, US 6.7-7.0. But once you get above 4.7 you start running a lot more consistently into teams that know the game well enough that you can't just go-kart around in your whatever without a plan, so take that how you will.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah the key thing to know is that everything is a medium tank until you hit 5.7/6.0 at which point the Tigers and Panthers start to come out and Germany's game becomes a lot more static. The UK ironically becomes a lot more mobile, the US gets real guns, and the USSR going from being all-round good to all-round excellent.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Staying out of helicopter range is key for me but I would be okay with helicopters that don't have any guidable munitions at all being 7.7

For Air RB you simply have to be demented and delusional enough to deal with the Air bullshit and 9.3 feels right, mostly getting downtiers too. Worth it every time the missiles work, I thought we were firing AIM-9, not AIM-4.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

3.7 is a really good tank BR, in my opinion. UK, Russia and Germany have great vehicles there. In the current meta, 4.7 tends to get uptiered, so 3.7 is usually downtiered or seeing 4.0/4.3 at worst. If you get bored, you could go up to 4.0 - 4.7 or down to the really early tiers.

The downside is France has nothing at that BR, Japan has a single premium (though it's excellent) and Italy only has a couple TDs.
I'm not sure what USA or China have at that tier though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

We desperately need better counters for long range ATGM choppers at this point. Easymode lock on ATGM guidance was a gigantic mistake and the inclusion of automatic missile launch alerts singlehandedly broke the SAM/chopper balance entirely.

For SAMs RADAR guidance/tracking needs to actually work and they need to unfuck their fragmentation characteristics so they reliably kill poo poo again.

Then remove the ATGM lock on and missile launch warnings entirely. The Ka-50 missile range should be knocked down to the correct 8km and get a huge loving nerf to its anti-air capabilities and things would probably be fine-ish.

Edit:. If they need a :gaijin: reason to nerf the poo poo out of the Ka-50 it's gonna loving massacre all the premium Apaches and the sales thereof in it's current state.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 18, 2020