Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Willem DaFoe should've at least been nominated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBZwUdJFnhw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

parasite won mainly because its competition was so underwhelming irishman was crazy long theres no possible way to describe marriage story that makes it sound even slightly interesting 1917 was a good looking generic war movie joker had been receiving antihype for months and once upon a time in hollywood probably the strongest contender already got its rear end kicked by parasite at cannes way back in may which is how parasite hype got started in the first place

it was basically a perfect storm of conditions to push a foreign film over the top and id be surprised if it happened again any time soon i suspect this was a kind of putney swope situation where most of the voters just assumed that no one else was going to pick it

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Some Guy TT posted:

parasite won mainly because its competition was so underwhelming irishman was crazy long theres no possible way to describe marriage story that makes it sound even slightly interesting 1917 was a good looking generic war movie joker had been receiving antihype for months and once upon a time in hollywood probably the strongest contender already got its rear end kicked by parasite at cannes way back in may which is how parasite hype got started in the first place

it was basically a perfect storm of conditions to push a foreign film over the top and id be surprised if it happened again any time soon i suspect this was a kind of putney swope situation where most of the voters just assumed that no one else was going to pick it

Yeah this is the year of bloat. All the big us directors that the academy is willing to recognize have hit that age where they can do exactly what they want while having no lingering self esteem issues or producers to hold them accountable, which means they make sprawling messes. Not necessarily bad sprawling messes, but stuff you need to have a prexisting love for the director/excess to fully excuse. It was a good year to release a movie like Parasite. From what I’ve heard it keeps it middlebrow while offering a story hook (class warfare) that makes the academy feel dangerous and relevant.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/RadishHarmers/status/1225924197693652993?s=19

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

if you liked Parasite and want another south korean movie with similar themes but in a mysterious hitchcockian style, please check out Burning from 2018 (it’s on netflix i believe), my favorite from that year

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

Rated PG-34 posted:

birds of prey is boring lamestream woke fem garbage and all the characters were one note

But Margot Robbie’s rear end tho

I haven’t seen the movie, probably won’t either

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

Yeah this is the year of bloat. All the big us directors that the academy is willing to recognize have hit that age where they can do exactly what they want while having no lingering self esteem issues or producers to hold them accountable, which means they make sprawling messes. Not necessarily bad sprawling messes, but stuff you need to have a prexisting love for the director/excess to fully excuse. It was a good year to release a movie like Parasite. From what I’ve heard it keeps it middlebrow while offering a story hook (class warfare) that makes the academy feel dangerous and relevant.

No kidding. I absentmindedly watched the Irishman earlier this year and it just... wasn't very good. For all the reviews going on and on about how it's a masterpiece and Scorsese has been building to it his entire career, it certainly didn't feel that way because it was on Netflix and so nobody made him edit it. It felt like a 2-hour Scorsese movie preemptively released as an overlong bloated director's cut by adding in 90 minutes of deleted scenes and repetition that would have been cut out by a good editor.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
you can't cut down the irishman, everything on it is so drat good
i wish there were more scenes with de Niro just talking about which highway he'd take over some other one

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

first chappelle goes for yang and now this

https://twitter.com/lukewsavage/status/1226913828199370753?s=21

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1226923057534636033

JainDoh has issued a correction as of 18:43 on Feb 10, 2020

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Percelus posted:

hear me out

this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTeY_Rlyn2U

was the best movie of the last decade

Absolutely

sand maggot
Jan 3, 2020

:allbuttons:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Politics aside, Parasite is also a really good comedy that seamlessly turns into a tragedy. It's just a great movie on every level.

Percelus posted:

hear me out

this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTeY_Rlyn2U

was the best movie of the last decade

One of the few highlights of the 2010's was hearing that Fury Road was being made, assuming it would be another bloodless remake, then discovering it was actually better than The Road Warrior.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/theonion/status/1226923057534636033?s=21

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

finally

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Politics aside, Parasite is also a really good comedy that seamlessly turns into a tragedy. It's just a great movie on every level.

The Wailing was like that too. South Korea has this neat trick where they figured out how to reproduce the general aesthetic of a big Hollywood production, but still do whatever the hell they want and it’s very (pleasantly) jarring because the look establishes one set of cultural expectations for how the plot, tone and characterization will be handled, but then... noooope. One minute gritty procedural, then childlike slapstick, then gory horror, then... Merchant Ivory? Etc etc.

It’s a fun trick but I’m still not entirely convinced I’m more than simply dazzled by the novelty of the familiar, slightly jumbled up.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

mysterious frankie posted:

It’s a fun trick but I’m still not entirely convinced I’m more than simply dazzled by the novelty of the familiar, slightly jumbled up.

I just realized how stupid this was as I was microwaving my soup.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

If we're talking Korean movies, I gotta recommend the Handmaiden. It's a great thriller film that also is a lesbian romance. And it's directed by the same guy who directed Old Boy.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1227260620929732608?s=19

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Warren is the guy in the basement while bernie is closer to mr.kim

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

well he did learn how to code

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JQ0xnJyb0A

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have an extremely hard time believing that Leslie feels no pleasure in tweeting that

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can clearly visualize him having that thought and then pulling a huge grin

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I can clearly visualize him having that thought and then pulling a huge grin

he's the leftist armond white, he's great

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The chuds were so mad that he didn't speak American in his speech lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so im watching the american masked singer remake and i am officially very irrationally annoyed at the extremely pointless changes made to the format

like whats all this super nine bullshit the whole point of the original show is that all the performers are or were a celebrity of varying levels of obscurity its not a competition its an unapologetic gimmick where the panel is trying to guess whether the current performer is a comedian or a ska band vocalist based entirely on their out of context live musical performance the one on one format allows for the perfect balance of musical setpieces and unmasking sequences

also what the gently caress is going on with this panel why is ken jeong here hes not a musician is this some super oblique way of acknowledging the shows korean roots by putting the only korean guy in hollywood on there the panelists in general loving suck because they obviously dont know anything about music im looking at the panelist list on wikis and none of these people are musicians how in the hell are they supposed to guess who the singers are

the korean version has non musicians too but heres the thing theyre actually funny and tie their guesses to amusing personal anecdotes and have good banter theyre also observational and well connected enough to make subtle deductions about who the singer might be based on specific mannerisms

which brings me to the worst part is the loving costumes yes the south korean costumes look paper mache and completely ridiculous but the costumes arent supposed to look realistic theyre supposed to facilitate musical performances which tend to involve lots of body movement hell thats the main contribution non musicians have to the original panels is that they comment on and make jokes about the weirdly distinctive dances most of the performers make you cant dance in a full body fursuit you loving imbeciles

maybe if we could see their dance moves and had non idiot panelists this show could have actual musical performance discussion but as it stands literally the only high point of this version is that the songs themselves are good god i hate these loving clue packages who the hell is this supposed to appeal to am i appreciating music or playing jeopardy gah even ken jennings would be a better panelist than these idiots at least hes actually famous for making good guesses based on arcane bullshit

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

in other some guy itt is watching tv news im checking out some late stage law and order and this asian chick who claims she got assaulted by a domnican guy is getting hit on by the white cop and shes into it

i write claims by because the interesting twist here would be that shes the second girlfriend of the murder victims fiance and shes just railroading the dominican guy which is kind of problematic but its hard to imagine it being much worse than the evil defense attorney slandering the good cop by correctly pointing out that cops shouldnt be sleeping with crime victims thats being set up right now

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

spoiler alert it actually ended up being both also the asian chick is an evil serial liar mastermind who tricked the boyfriend and solves all her problems by either seducing men or calling them rapists shes only caught because of her excessive sluttiness the white detectives punishment is that he has to march in parades all year and also the crime lab guy planted evidence implicating the dominican taxi driver

i dont remember why this show was canceled but im gonna guess it was not for these obviously horrific reasons how is this playing on the womens entertainment tv channel of all places

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

ScrubLeague posted:

it's available on DVD at your local library

Doubtful, if it isn't a mass paperback for Boomers or Ranma 1/2 DVDs the local library here kins of sucks.

Gotta use that money for Maricopa County Sheriff's Office poo poo and the city is too cheap and run by a minority of old devil crackers to run they own drat good library.

Phoenix probably has it though, they got a nice library system.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I assume the ranma 1/2 is also for the boomers

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i finally watched joker and i thought it was pretty good tbh.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ScrubLeague posted:

it's available on DVD at your local library

Can I get it on VCD, for the authentic experience?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
i only watch movies on PSP UMDs

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i finally watched joker and i thought it was pretty good tbh.

good enough for you to post a tearful rant about how it should have won best picture because unlike parasite it's a satire of class struggle?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Some Guy TT posted:

so im watching the american masked singer remake and i am officially very irrationally annoyed at the extremely pointless changes made to the format

like whats all this super nine bullshit the whole point of the original show is that all the performers are or were a celebrity of varying levels of obscurity its not a competition its an unapologetic gimmick where the panel is trying to guess whether the current performer is a comedian or a ska band vocalist based entirely on their out of context live musical performance the one on one format allows for the perfect balance of musical setpieces and unmasking sequences

also what the gently caress is going on with this panel why is ken jeong here hes not a musician is this some super oblique way of acknowledging the shows korean roots by putting the only korean guy in hollywood on there the panelists in general loving suck because they obviously dont know anything about music im looking at the panelist list on wikis and none of these people are musicians how in the hell are they supposed to guess who the singers are

the korean version has non musicians too but heres the thing theyre actually funny and tie their guesses to amusing personal anecdotes and have good banter theyre also observational and well connected enough to make subtle deductions about who the singer might be based on specific mannerisms

which brings me to the worst part is the loving costumes yes the south korean costumes look paper mache and completely ridiculous but the costumes arent supposed to look realistic theyre supposed to facilitate musical performances which tend to involve lots of body movement hell thats the main contribution non musicians have to the original panels is that they comment on and make jokes about the weirdly distinctive dances most of the performers make you cant dance in a full body fursuit you loving imbeciles

maybe if we could see their dance moves and had non idiot panelists this show could have actual musical performance discussion but as it stands literally the only high point of this version is that the songs themselves are good god i hate these loving clue packages who the hell is this supposed to appeal to am i appreciating music or playing jeopardy gah even ken jennings would be a better panelist than these idiots at least hes actually famous for making good guesses based on arcane bullshit

american audiences are just amused to play peek-a-boo with very high production values. it literally doesn't matter whether or not anyone involved in the entire process understands musical theory or can make intuitive judgments or has anything funny to say. it's just something to watch with your idiot family members while you try to decompress after another 10 hour hell shift at the job that you hate, where you all get to listen to popular songs and each make your own guesses to each other on the couch

like i get what you're saying, but from Fox's perspective it's much more effort / expense to ensure that the people involved are intelligent and/or funny and/or related to the music industry for not much more payoff. it's just another advertising vehicle and any effort entered beyond keeping the ad buys flowing is wasted

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/rupaulsdragrace/status/1228005730986418176?s=21

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

yeah i get that its just frustrating because the korean version of masked singer is marketed to the same audience but it doesnt dumb anything down its not like the original is even high art or anything its just you can learn a lot from it just by accident because the people on it actually understand music and will frequently make really deep cut references that have to be contextualized with ancient footage and these parts are cool as hell because when else would you see clips from the mixed gender nineties family band trend

its not like normal idiot korean viewers are any smarter than american ones i just find this need to infantilize interesting concepts in american media to be horribly frustrating like lego masters was on right after and it had the same problem of having half the show just be will arnett making bad jokes its like they didnt think making badass lego structures was a strong enough concept to build a show around when in fact the only reason anybody would want to watch a show like that is so they can watch people making badass lego structures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

american audiences are just amused to play peek-a-boo with very high production values. it literally doesn't matter whether or not anyone involved in the entire process understands musical theory or can make intuitive judgments or has anything funny to say. it's just something to watch with your idiot family members while you try to decompress after another 10 hour hell shift at the job that you hate, where you all get to listen to popular songs and each make your own guesses to each other on the couch

like i get what you're saying, but from Fox's perspective it's much more effort / expense to ensure that the people involved are intelligent and/or funny and/or related to the music industry for not much more payoff. it's just another advertising vehicle and any effort entered beyond keeping the ad buys flowing is wasted

south korea, famous for jobs with reasonable hours that everyone loves