Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

drat fine episode of Extra Credit! Everyone was on point right out of the gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
https://twitter.com/TheFPlus/status/1224369468035469312?s=19

ShellGame
Apr 10, 2016

stack 'em to the heavens

ParserGirl posted:

drat fine episode of Extra Credit! Everyone was on point right out of the gate.

Thanks! That's great to hear. It FELT on point so it's always good to have that confirmed. :)

Also just... what a great subject. I pondered that doc forEVER. It wasn't until recently I felt comfortable restructuring docs, though, and this one needed a little polish to truly shine.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's weird to say this, but the wereBelushi stuff sneaks up on you. There was so much other bad internet stuff before that, so I got a little surprised.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/TheFPlus/status/1226011775163916289

Ooh.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

The Expounded Universe podcast's Patreon bonus content have been weekly examinations of articles from Wookiepedia. It's easily one of the most ridiculous franchise canon wikis out there.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
http://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Unidentified_pudgy_species

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Luuuke_Skywalker

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

These all read like middle-school essays written the night before at high speed.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

ewe2 posted:

These all read like middle-school essays written the night before at high speed.

I NEED 500 WORDS WHY REYLO BAD

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The best partis that every article is written in past tense, even if it's about a thing that persists to exist in the real world, because the movies say "A long time ago"

Ambious
Sep 29, 2016

Hail Hoots!

Waffleman_ posted:

The best partis that every article is written in past tense, even if it's about a thing that persists to exist in the real world, because the movies say "A long time ago"

I vaguely remember a version of something in the extended universe where everything in the sage (like thousands of years in the future of the series) culminated in some holocron being put on a spaceship sent outside of the Star Wars galaxy and eventually landing in Modesto California in George Lucas' yard and that that's how he came up with Star Wars and that he actually started Lucas Films and ILM to decode the thing.
It was incredibly stupid but the fact that I remember it like 20-25 years later is amusing.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
https://twitter.com/TheFPlus/status/1227284193610170369?s=20

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I haven't been this familiar with the source material since the chastity cage episode of Extra Credit!

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I'm kinda the opposite. I've seen a handful of the films b/c everyone has, but basically have the same level of affection toward the whole franchise as Lemon. And let me tell you, that episode was magical. They could do a whole series on that website and I would listen to it gleefully

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

flesh dance posted:

I'm kinda the opposite. I've seen a handful of the films b/c everyone has, but basically have the same level of affection toward the whole franchise as Lemon. And let me tell you, that episode was magical. They could do a whole series on that website and I would listen to it gleefully

You're in luck! Well, I mean, someone has been doing that, just not Lemon and the gang. System Mastery's Expounded Universe (mostly) reads lovely and bizarre Star Wars novels, and as a Patreon extra they do Expanded Expounded Universe where they tell each other about ridiculous poo poo from Wookieepedia. The tier for that is just $2 per month, and they already have just shy of 100 episodes of that particular side-show (which, to be granted, includes 13 episodes of Star Trek/X-Men crossover novel stuff because they wanted to take a break from Star Wars).

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I'm glad I listened to this episode, because my feeling about Star Wars is it's boomer pablum. I'm so happy someone else feels the same way! :neckbeard:

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

You're in luck! Well, I mean, someone has been doing that, just not Lemon and the gang. System Mastery's Expounded Universe (mostly) reads lovely and bizarre Star Wars novels, and as a Patreon extra they do Expanded Expounded Universe where they tell each other about ridiculous poo poo from Wookieepedia. The tier for that is just $2 per month, and they already have just shy of 100 episodes of that particular side-show (which, to be granted, includes 13 episodes of Star Trek/X-Men crossover novel stuff because they wanted to take a break from Star Wars).

Y'know, I've seen that name pop up a ton but have never looked into it. Maybe I'll check em out and see if their humor clicks with me; scrolling through the site is producing some promising looking material :cheers:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Hurrah for a fresh ep, and what a goldmine of a website! Thanks ridiculists! =)

And, to briefly mention other podcasts talking SW weirdness: We Hate Movies added a "Gleep Glossary" bonus feature (Patreon sub needed though) which earnestly/jokingly discusses one character's bio per month.

They read from an extended comprehensive SW character guide, or some such thing, published in the late 90s iirc? It's quite funny to me, a SW super-casual. Found a snippet up on their channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsLysUdaS7w

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

flesh dance posted:

Y'know, I've seen that name pop up a ton but have never looked into it. Maybe I'll check em out and see if their humor clicks with me; scrolling through the site is producing some promising looking material :cheers:

System Mastery is a goon hosted podcast. I’ve been listening to them from day one and think they’re great. Definitely give them a listen.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Wookiepedia is so good, as a huge star wars fan even I am baffled by a good half of it.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I agree with Achilles that Wookiepedia is like the perfect slice of Website.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

How the hell did they not follow up Luuke with Luuuke

ShellGame
Apr 10, 2016

stack 'em to the heavens

bony tony posted:

I haven't been this familiar with the source material since the chastity cage episode of Extra Credit!

Come again?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Star Wars and dick caging, inseparable concepts. Can't have one without the other.

The jizz-box is just a chastity cage with a theremin in it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ShellGame posted:

Come again?

bony tony is an ironic username

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

ShellGame posted:

Come again?

Or don't!

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Y'all don't come now, y'hear?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I've been really getting into jizz recently.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

This scratches my We Hate Movies Gleep Glossary itch in a way I haven't had since I lost my job and couldn't afford Patreon benefits in a way I haven't had in...like, weeks. There's a reason this is my favorite podcast.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

thinking about jar jar breasts and thermodynamics makes me a star wars musician if you know what I mean

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

This scratches my We Hate Movies Gleep Glossary itch in a way I haven't had since I lost my job and couldn't afford Patreon benefits in a way I haven't had in...like, weeks. There's a reason this is my favorite podcast.

Rooting for you to find a new job soon!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

T-man posted:

thinking about jar jar breasts and thermodynamics makes me a star wars musician if you know what I mean

But then Sabirius ChaKhan will be disappointed in you!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Midjack posted:

System Mastery is a goon hosted podcast. I’ve been listening to them from day one and think they’re great. Definitely give them a listen.

Thanks!

If you do want to check out our Star Wars stuff, I recommend going to the beginning, we started Expounded Universe with years of podcasts already behind us so it doesn't really have that "Finding our voice" period to it. Also it's Shadows of the Empire with is incredibly dumb.

https://systemmasterypodcast.com/2017/06/11/expounded-universe-1-dark-shadows-of-the-empire/

theironjef fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 12, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Too bad they didn't go into the EU absurdity of Vader's suit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The list of actual Star Wars names is somehow sillier than Jenny Nicholson's made-up names
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ViKvHkNyqE
(if you don't watch Jenny's channel you really should btw)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
When I saw Solo in the theater, I was immediately loving baffled by the choice to bring back Darth Maul. It was so bizarre that they would revive the silliest and stupidest part of Star Wars canon: that the guy who was cut in half, who fell down a seemingly-bottomless shaft in a power plant, while working alone, somehow got rescued and survived. But as I was pondering that for the last few minutes of the movie, I realized, "wait, that's not even close to the dumbest thing in old Star Wars canon, because Luuke exists." And then when the credits rolled, I turned to my friend who was sitting next to me in the theater, and said "have you heard of Luuke?" which was an understandably baffling thing to say at that point in time. And as we sat through the credits I explained what the gently caress "Luuke" was, and why it was the stupidest thing in old Star Wars canon, then at the end she was like "okay but what the gently caress does that have to do with the movie we just watched??"

That's my Luuke story, thanks for reading, and thanks, f-plus, for covering it, so that others may share my pain.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

5 min into this and I'm already feeling it for Lemon.

edit: wait, firefly is worse?! Disagree.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 13, 2020

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

That was one of my favorite episodes in a long time. That site is a goldmine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

When I saw Solo in the theater, I was immediately loving baffled by the choice to bring back Darth Maul. It was so bizarre that they would revive the silliest and stupidest part of Star Wars canon: that the guy who was cut in half, who fell down a seemingly-bottomless shaft in a power plant, while working alone, somehow got rescued and survived. But as I was pondering that for the last few minutes of the movie, I realized, "wait, that's not even close to the dumbest thing in old Star Wars canon, because Luuke exists." And then when the credits rolled, I turned to my friend who was sitting next to me in the theater, and said "have you heard of Luuke?" which was an understandably baffling thing to say at that point in time. And as we sat through the credits I explained what the gently caress "Luuke" was, and why it was the stupidest thing in old Star Wars canon, then at the end she was like "okay but what the gently caress does that have to do with the movie we just watched??"

That's my Luuke story, thanks for reading, and thanks, f-plus, for covering it, so that others may share my pain.

Maul had already been brought back and had an entire character arc and a satisfying on-screen death in the TV shows at that point.

It's me. I'm I'm Boots in the intro talking about the Darksaber.

e: surprised that Maul's canon brother didn't pop up in the list of names: Savage Opress (pronounced sah-vajh).

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 13, 2020