Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Rebus posted:

It means the pay is pretty good, and that you should have tried harder at school.

yeah but i wouldn't be sitting on my rear end all day posting #pooisshamilton if i worked in f1, so i feel like i've done everyone a favor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rebus posted:

I read somewhere a few years ago that the average pay for F1 mechanics was about £50k.

I’ve heard between £40-50k which realistically you’re gonna be better off making the same cash in a dealership doing book time instead of busting your rear end at 10pm on a Saturday in the middle of loving nowhere in some foreign country swapping out an engine and transmission.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

:rip: 2020 Chinese Grand Prix

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

the kentucky quid posted:

I’ve heard between £40-50k which realistically you’re gonna be better off making the same cash in a dealership doing book time instead of busting your rear end at 10pm on a Saturday in the middle of loving nowhere in some foreign country swapping out an engine and transmission.

It's like most creative industries, the demand to get in is extremely high so it's a poor choice if solely making money is your goal.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Zeta Acosta posted:

Whats the deal with Renault? They dont have their car ready yet?

tbh who cares

Tagdoodle
Dec 11, 2019

there was a youtube compilation of funny Vettel moments and I can't possibly imagine any other driver having a similar video made
I watched about 2 minutes of that Ferrari F1 car reveal and holy poo poo how does anyone watch this? How does anyone care THAT MUCH about what a car looks like? And do the people there in the crowd want to have sex with the car? Maybe they already have?

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
"A CAR"??!???? That was A FERRARI!!!!

*hurglebufleblergh* *somehow finishes behind Red Bull in the 2020 WCC*

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Once you understand that Ferrari is a religion it all makes sense

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Once you understand that Ferrari is a religion cult it all makes sense

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
you guys are just buttmad that all your fraudlent british cheating doesn't make you as good as Scuderia Ferrari

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

track day bro! posted:

you guys are just buttmad that all your fraudlent british cheating doesn't make you as good as Scuderia Ferrari

Ferrari passion.... slamming your head into a hard object.

Also the slightest bump and it falls apart.... really perfectly encapsulates the Scuderia Ferrari F1 team.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

But they were definitely going to be destined for the top four any day now!

Danny Ric must be kicking himself

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dudes making shitloads of money more than he was at red bull and doesn't have to deal with Verstappen or Red Bull's blatant favoritism thereof. I doubt he's particularly upset, though I'm sure he'd like to be in a better car.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

But they were definitely going to be destined for the top four any day now!

Danny Ric must be kicking himself

lol if you expected fanny failtardo to amount to anything apart from saying 'how he's happy just being here'

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He's another in a long line of drivers that show promise early on and then get stuck in the Hulkenberg trap where they clog up a seat until the inevitable retirement as they approach their mid-30s.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

He's another in a long line of drivers that show promise early on and then get stuck in the Hulkenberg trap

Not true. Danny actually won races.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He's not going to win any more. Don't get me wrong he's entertaining but Max arriving at Red Bull was the worst thing that happened to him.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

He's not going to win any more. Don't get me wrong he's entertaining but Max arriving at Red Bull was the worst thing that happened to him.

We all love Max

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

track day bro! posted:

We all love Max

His dad doesn't.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

track day bro! posted:

get in there lewis

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Carth Dookie posted:

Not true. Danny actually won races.

Worse than that, Hulkenberg didn't even get a single podium in nearly 10 years of F1, he's surely had one of the most saddest careers in the history of the sport. He's got nothing to show for it (apart from a mountain of cash I guess?).

He's crowning achievement was not in F1 at all but being on the winning Le Mans team in 2015.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Hulkenberg is a less accomplished driver than Martin Brundle. Think about that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It will be a mystery to me why he had such a long career

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Because occasionally it suits an f1 team to have a driver that- while they won't get the car anywhere above where it would finish normally- also doesn't cost very much and doesn't smash the car to bits every weekend.

So the REAL question is: why the gently caress does Grosjean still have a career?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

NtotheTC posted:

Because occasionally it suits an f1 team to have a driver that- while they won't get the car anywhere above where it would finish normally- also doesn't cost very much and doesn't smash the car to bits every weekend.

So the REAL question is: why the gently caress does Grosjean still have a career?

sometimes during an insanely boring race figuring out how grossjean managed to bin it on an empty section of track might be the only race highlight

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

As for Daniel Ricciardos poor performances (by which I mean, barely above Hulkenberg) He's just another victim of being a Red Bull driver. The Newey cars are easy to drive because they're so stable, they can get on the throttle earlier, carry more speed in corners because they have such an aero-focused design.

It slows them down on the straights but who cares? they can just whine that "oh its the engine power that means we lose. its unfair, clearly we're the best because of the aero". When straight line speed plays less of a role, they win easily because theyre so much better in the corners. (FYI I'm not saying this isn't a legitimate strategy, just that Horner should shut his whore mouth and stop whining at tracks like Spa)

Now that Ricciardo is in a car that doesn't have as much downforce, none of his overtaking moves work and he locks up. I haven't checked but I imagine he's lost a load of pace because he can't get on the throttle as well in car where the rears aren't glued to the road.

Same thing happened to Vettel and its why he's been garbage at Ferrari. His throttle control is mediocre at best and he was flattered by the RBR car for all his "good" years. Leclerc has really good throttle control and so could handle a "normal" car setup like the ferrari or Mercedes which is designed to win more than just Monaco, Interlagos and the Hungaroring

E; for further examples, wait until Verstappen leaves red bull looking for a WDC and the world suddenly realises he was Vettel Mk2 all along

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 13, 2020

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The McLaren is ugly

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Honestly terrible

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

SPLUNK sounds like a soft drink brand in Grand Theft Auto.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Honestly I haven’t looked at any of the cars and first viewing will be at the first race because who cares

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Sulphagnist posted:

SPLUNK sounds like a soft drink brand in Grand Theft Auto.

it's like one letter away from the GTA one

Big Huski Boi posted:

Honestly terrible

so no different from any other mclaren then

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
pretty much all of mclaren's sponsors seem like fake sponsors you'd see on generic_race_car in an unlicensed racing game

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Mods rename me splunk>

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Does the wing sponsor say DARK RACE

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Splunk is a log aggregator (among other things), I'm using it literally right now.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Big Huski Boi posted:

Honestly terrible

That photo/render makes the blue look a lot lighter than it is on the car. It just looks like last year's tbh. Something's a bit funky with the front suspension

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Does the wing sponsor say DARK RACE

DARK TRACE

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Big Huski Boi posted:

Splunk is a log aggregator (among other things), I'm using it literally right now.

Aggregating all the logs and building a Williams out of them

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Big Huski Boi posted:

the logs are yer terds which are also yer posts

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

So far I haven't seen a launch where I can confidently tell the difference to a '19 car. I'm looking forward to next year, just for the looks shakeup.

Ferrari's er, 'radical' downforce orientated solution made me :lol:, shouldn't that have always been a design criteria in this era?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The only thing I noticed on the McLaren is the nose is a bit more Mercedes-like.