Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

the year is 2207 and sunspot activity is finally(!) over

received an appropriately titled save!

also note to self (and maybe others): if you right-click a message like the sunspot one in the HUD and select "Zoom to Message" the game will instantly crash!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

it's actually been a fairly eventful last couple of turns. as mentioned the comms blackout is over and faction diplomacy can resume. sorry for getting behind! here's 2207:

finally responding to the spartan laser foil that's been bombarding Bohemian Grove for like the past 5 turns

:rolldice:

up north, there's a bit of a counterassault going on vs. my little invasion force. i'm very surprised that the spartans were able to accumulate three battle ogres -- seems statistically unusual.

it did not go well for the spartans

finally, i've had a sealurk sealurking around off the spartans' west coast trying to intercept transports and formers and whatever. it finally happened across a likely target: a sea former!

odds don't look so bad

um

big oof

here's an overview. i performed the "drill to aquifer" terraforming action (which i don't think i've ever actually tried before) which created a river that sort of pooled in the deepest part of the crater. rivers give +1 energy per tile so that's a super cool bonus.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

up north, there's a bit of a counterassault going on vs. my little invasion force. i'm very surprised that the spartans were able to accumulate three battle ogres -- seems statistically unusual.

hell yeah I got in the in the picture

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

here's 2208

i decided a while ago that i didn't want to completely hog the planetary governorship (get a load of that vote count! :eyepop: :popeye:) since it would be more fun for other people to get the planetwide infiltrator data and energy bonuses and such. various military escapades mean that the Spartans are not as populous as they once were, so the Hive's recent basebuilding spree has kicked them up to the #2 slot instead. i've cast my votes for the Hive (played by forums poster Pile of Garbage) but you're personally free to vote for whoever you want

meanwhile, more Spartans up north:

our forces in the area give us a couple of options:

the impact speeder ended up being better, since "rolling" terrain counts as open for purposes of calculating zoominess.

here's the current planetary secret project situation. there's been some overlap between the first and second tier of projects, and i don't think anyone's even discovered the tech prereq for The Empath Guild yet.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

hell yeah I got in the in the picture

rare cameo by the PIRATE CAR V1

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

rare cameo by the PIRATE CAR V1

I just founded a new base

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QppILMMJcE

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

how long are you planning on keeping its location a secret?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

how long are you planning on keeping its location a secret?

until someone invents airplanes and can see the red sun gleaming from the blue ocean which belongs to the intrepid pirates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrbpwCJIlEA

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Glorgnole posted:

here's the current planetary secret project situation. there's been some overlap between the first and second tier of projects, and i don't think anyone's even discovered the tech prereq for The Empath Guild yet.

Who discovered Secrets of the Human Brain first? I normally use the free tech from that to get Empath Guild.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Who discovered Secrets of the Human Brain first? I normally use the free tech from that to get Empath Guild.

i actually have no idea, i'll check the monuments screen next time the save comes around

i tried to search the thread to see if anyone posted about it and the only result is you proposing this exact strategy in may 2018 which is hilarious and mortally terrifying

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I just want to say that I love this old game and you're all (gradually) playing the most entertaining game of it I've seen in a long time.

Thank you for the effortposts about what you're doing and how the game is going.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i too am enjoying reading about it much more than i was playing it, too, lol. glorgnole is much better at it and the effortposts are great

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
still reading this

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

this thread & me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzsjRHlV97k

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Helianthus Annuus posted:

still reading this

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Seriously I am loving spectating this, and thank you glorgnole for keeping the thread up to date.

That said y'all gonna need to start teaming up on glorg pretty quick here or he gonna pop boom to overwhelming victory

:lol:

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad that there's actual readership :)

PittTheElder posted:

That said y'all gonna need to start teaming up on glorg pretty quick here or he gonna pop boom to overwhelming victory

weird vibes pursuing a pop growth/industrialist strategy with the ecofascist faction, i agree

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I’m so ducking far behind lmao

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Luigi Thirty posted:

I’m so ducking far behind lmao

:yossame:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

i decided a while ago that i didn't want to completely hog the planetary governorship (get a load of that vote count! :eyepop: :popeye:) since it would be more fun for other people to get the planetwide infiltrator data and energy bonuses and such. various military escapades mean that the Spartans are not as populous as they once were, so the Hive's recent basebuilding spree has kicked them up to the #2 slot instead. i've cast my votes for the Hive (played by forums poster Pile of Garbage) but you're personally free to vote for whoever you want

i'll humbly accept governorship for a period. my reign shall be one of peace and prosperity. also my pop has been booming thanks to some good terraforming and nutrient availability

i've got the save rn, will play it when i get home from work

edit: also lol at your new landmarks Glorg

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 29, 2020

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Glorgnole posted:

i'm glad that there's actual readership :)

best thread in the pos, truly

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Indigenous lifeforms

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/typhoonjim/status/1223305319587237888

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

finally, i've had a sealurk sealurking around off the spartans' west coast trying to intercept transports and formers and whatever. it finally happened across a likely target: a sea former!

odds don't look so bad

um

big oof

just had the opposite of this play out on my turn. Impact Skimship vs a damaged Isle of the Deep, 5 to 4 odds should be fine right?

result: my Impact Skimship was blown to pieces ffs!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Can you use the bombard action to attack IoDs? If memory serves you can; they can attack you next turn so it means ceding the 3-2 advantage, but psi units generally fare very poorly against weapon attacks. Good if you're going in with a morale deficit.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Can you use the bombard action to attack IoDs? If memory serves you can; they can attack you next turn so it means ceding the 3-2 advantage, but psi units generally fare very poorly against weapon attacks. Good if you're going in with a morale deficit.

I think I read that bombardment between naval units actually resolves in the same way as a direct attack, so bombarding an isle with your cruiser or whatever wouldn't go any better or worse for you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh poo poo yeah you're right. Regular ships are for sure that way (though it's not a direct attack, it plays by the artillery rules, so weapon vs. weapon rather than weapon vs. armor), but I think for Psi it does initiate a normal psi battles.

I'm thinking of land battles, where nearly any artillery just eviscerates mind worms.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
All naval PSI battles (except Sealurk attacking) are 1:1 which includes naval bombardment. On land, yea bombarding fungus is a pro-strat, and why they added the spore launchers in SMAX.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
one of my favorite oddities about this game is the rules for land-sea artillery interactions, which to my knowledge are not found in any other part of the game. are they weird emergent behavior? are they detailed design choices? are they an outright bug? who knows!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

raminasi posted:

one of my favorite oddities about this game is the rules for land-sea artillery interactions, which to my knowledge are not found in any other part of the game. are they weird emergent behavior? are they detailed design choices? are they an outright bug? who knows!

what happens? it's been a while since i've seen that situation.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Glorgnole posted:

what happens? it's been a while since i've seen that situation.

it’s like normal artillery combat (gun v gun) but for only one round. so it’s like a hybrid of bombardment and combat.

even weirder, if you use a sea unit to bombard a land tile, and your ship is within range of a different, hostile, land-based artillery unit, the land-based artillery unit will just kill your ship. (or maybe it’s the other way around, i don’t have an installation to test against handy.)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i hope someone goes and does some theorycrafting with live testing and posts the results here! :allears:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

raminasi posted:

it’s like normal artillery combat (gun v gun) but for only one round. so it’s like a hybrid of bombardment and combat.

even weirder, if you use a sea unit to bombard a land tile, and your ship is within range of a different, hostile, land-based artillery unit, the land-based artillery unit will just kill your ship. (or maybe it’s the other way around, i don’t have an installation to test against handy.)

It doesn't kill your ship, it initiates one of those one round gun duels (though the land based Arty gets +25%).

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

PittTheElder posted:

It doesn't kill your ship, it initiates one of those one round gun duels (though the land based Arty gets +25%).

there is definitely a way to trigger an artillery "duel" in which the other unit wins every round until you die, i've had it happen to me multiple times. i don't remember the exact circumstances though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'm 90% sure that's how land vs land arty duels go

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

PittTheElder posted:

I'm 90% sure that's how land vs land arty duels go

now that you mention it, i may have just been incorrect about it being a land/sea thing. i'm near certain that it's triggered by bombarding a tile while in bombardment range of a different, hostile arty unit.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

save me (by sending me the save where is the save)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

god dammit it's been sitting in my gmail DRAFTS box for a week sorry

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

drone riots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i got a battle report saying i'd lost a battle but for the life of me could not work out where! meanwhile i've got my drone riots sorted for the time being thanks to rec commons and hologram theatres.