Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
wow this thread really went places overnight

e: can't believe china no longer exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

You;re worrying about the wrong brit.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/13/london-coronavirus-patient-turned-up-hospital-uber-taxi

:lol::lol: but also gently caress.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

"Caught corona virus off driver, am rapidly approaching death. 0/10 would not ride again"

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

stephenthinkpad posted:

Well lets hope for the best. The virus is not spreading in India, and 0! reported in Indonesia.

Turns out the test sucks and isn’t very sensitive. For all we know there can be thousands of cases in India because of the lag time between infection and the fact that only 10-20% will need hospitalization. An extra 1000 people spread across a country with this disease will only produce 100-200 hospital admissions which wouldn’t be noticed very quickly.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Lote posted:

Turns out the test sucks and isn’t very sensitive. For all we know there can be thousands of cases in India because of the lag time between infection and the fact that only 10-20% will need hospitalization. An extra 1000 people spread across a country with this disease will only produce 100-200 hospital admissions which wouldn’t be noticed very quickly.

Yeah, I don't think we can confidently claim that it's not spreading. It hasn't been spotted yet, but we don't know where all it is.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Also,

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1227951785073090566

For reference, household income median is around 40,000 yuan per year so this would be more than half of a two week paycheck.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao check out how competent, capable developed democracy the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is coping with this

quote:

A nurse in Brighton, where five people have been diagnosed with coronavirus, has spoken out against the way “self-isolation” is being managed.

The nurse has been told to self-isolate after coming into direct, sustained contact with a person being tested for the virus, and exhibiting some of the symptoms herself.

Public Health England has advised anyone who comes into contact with a coronavirus case to remain alone at home to stop the virus spreading.

The nurse, speaking anonymously to The Argus, said self-isolation “is not being dealt with effectively”.

She said she was sent home from her workplace wearing a medical mask, but was taken by a taxi driver who was not wearing one.

quote:

When I got home, my family had packed and gone. I’ve got kids, and they were understandably upset they had to leave. They didn’t understand.

I didn’t have any food in the house. I had to order a takeaway. It sounds ridiculous but I got fish and chips and asked the delivery person to leave it on the doorstep.

Now, I’m waiting for a Tesco delivery. I’m going to ask them to leave it outside. I don’t want to put signs outside my house saying I’m in isolation, but I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do.

She also said she had to find a way of getting everyone out her house without risking passing on the infection to them, and feels the advice she has been given was insufficient.

quote:

It’s scary, because I’ve got a compromised immune system. Some of these fears are over the top, but if I do get coronavirus, it could be fatal.
Earlier today, the NHS chief executive Sir Simon Stevens said many more people may need to self-isolate over the coming weeks to stop the virus spreading.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Prester Jane posted:

another thing to confine ~70 million starving apes in place

hey yeah so whats up with this racism, Prester Jane, thats kinda yikes you feel me?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Iamgoofball posted:

hey yeah so whats up with this racism, Prester Jane, thats kinda yikes you feel me?

The inscrutable orientals are at once strong and weak.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Day Man posted:

Yeah, I don't think we can confidently claim that it's not spreading. It hasn't been spotted yet, but we don't know where all it is.

As a brief effort post to explain medical tests, here goes.

Tests all have two components called sensitivity and specificity. Sensitivity means what % of all tests run will be positive if all the tests should confirm the diagnosis. Specificity means what % of all tests will be positive if all of the tests should be positive. Ideally, in this scenario, you would want a test that is 100% sensitive with 80-90+% specificity. You will get a lot of false positives but if you limit the testing to people you think have been exposed then you can get that false positive rate down.

The test right now is a nucleic acid test which should be very high specificity like 99+% or basically 100% with few if any false positives. The test doesn’t sound very sensitive until people get to the late stages of the disease so in people that aren’t showing many symptoms there sounds like a high false negative rate implying a lower sensitivity.

Ideally, a test like this is a confirmatory test. You have one test that is 100% sensitive then you use to screen everyone then use a test that has a lower sensitivity but high specificity to confirm. Tests usually aren’t 100 sensitive and specific and the ones that are usually pretty expensive.

What China could do to catch everyone is basically run this test weekly on everyone due to the low false positive rate but nucleic acid tests are fairly expensive and time consuming to run as opposed to a rapid strep or influenza test that takes 5 minutes to do and read.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
PJ don't let these frothing mad psychotic tankies silence you

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1227960123709984769?s=19

immunize yourself and face to blood donation

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Iamgoofball posted:

She's a lunatic, but she clearly meant it in the sense that humans are great apes, not that Chinese people are subhuman. It was admittedly an unfortunate turn of phrase though.

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/EdwardLawrence/status/1227970167499563009?s=19

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
FREE PRESTER JANE, DEMOD PPJ

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

This is probably true. We know they aren’t counting until there is lab confirmation in the provinces outside of Hubei. We know there is a pretty high false negative rate for the tests. That said, this virus isn’t likely to have as high of a death rate because it’s already widespread. If it was 10-20% death rate like SARS 1 then Shanghai, Guangzhou and Beijing would be overwhelmed in the next few days. We know from the cruise ship cases and cases in other countries that it isn’t that high, probably close to 1% which is still terrible but not society collapses terrible.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Sinteres posted:

She's a lunatic, but she clearly meant it in the sense that humans are great apes, not that Chinese people are subhuman. It was admittedly an unfortunate turn of phrase though.

But modern human didn't evolve from great apes. They share the same common ancestor.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lote posted:

This is probably true. We know they aren’t counting until there is lab confirmation in the provinces outside of Hubei. We know there is a pretty high false negative rate for the tests. That said, this virus isn’t likely to have as high of a death rate because it’s already widespread. If it was 10-20% death rate like SARS 1 then Shanghai, Guangzhou and Beijing would be overwhelmed in the next few days. We know from the cruise ship cases and cases in other countries that it isn’t that high, probably close to 1% which is still terrible but not society collapses terrible.

We also already knew they were underreporting deaths because they weren't testing dead people, so the death figure only includes people who were confirmed positive using the nucleic acid test before dying. Presumably one reason for the big jump in the death stats yesterday alongside the big jump in the confirmed cases stats was that they started registering deaths from clinical confirmed cases as well as laboratory confirmed ones.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

But modern human didn't evolve from great apes. They share the same common ancestor.

The point you've overlearned is that we're not descended from other currently surviving great apes, but we literally are great apes ourselves.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

my cousins a truck driver in Wuhan and he says that all the trucks have broken down and there’s no replacement parts because all the truck factory workers are sick and all the truck mechanics are also sick, and there’s fires everywhere but guess what? no fire trucks

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

stephenthinkpad posted:

Humans are inarguably apes, we're literally in the hominid taxonomic family.

Anyways uh why would anyone expect people to willingly self isolate? How many people can afford to do that poo poo? Every time I've been sick in my life I've still gone to work or school because I'm not like a millionaire who can afford to get fired or fail classes.

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/MMedinanews/status/1227975495897231361?s=19

This was the 15th US case, not sure where the 14th was located

Edit: 14th was in San Diego

twoday fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 13, 2020

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

my cousins a truck driver in Wuhan and he says that all the trucks have broken down and there’s no replacement parts because all the truck factory workers are sick and all the truck mechanics are also sick, and there’s fires everywhere but guess what? no fire trucks

holy poo poo

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Luigi in super Mario 64 confirmed

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
why not just build a new Wuhan for healthy people

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
It would seriously owns if Florida is not going to announce any coronavirus cases because they had somebody come in and admit that they were at the Superbowl lol

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i saw xi jinping and mortarian in the closet making viruses and i saw one of the viruses and the virus looked at me

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i saw xi jinping and mortarian in the closet making viruses and i saw one of the viruses and the virus looked at me

Lmao

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Calling my shot that there will be a "china is kidnapping survivors and farming their bodies for antibodies" conspiracy in the next week

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Vishass posted:

Calling my shot that there will be a "china is kidnapping survivors and farming their bodies for antibodies" conspiracy in the next week

Sir are you looking for work?
https://www.theepochtimes.com/c-careers

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Lote posted:

Also,

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1227951785073090566

For reference, household income median is around 40,000 yuan per year so this would be more than half of a two week paycheck.

Now I'm picturing a bunch of madmen running around trying to stick rectal thermometers in people.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

vyelkin posted:

wow this thread really went places overnight

e: can't believe china no longer exists

200 posts overnight better check to see what happened!

Oh.

OH :stare:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

to the people telling me to log off and stop posting about the coronavirus know this:

i will never log off until i am felled by viral pneumonia

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

We are hosed

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Schnorkles posted:

to the people telling me to log off and stop posting about the coronavirus know this:

i will never log off until i am felled by viral pneumonia

its too late the shambling hordes of billions of dead chinese citizens have already breached the borders, humanity is doomed and if you have ever touched a product that said made in china you are already dead

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

looking forward to seeing a 5th generation re-edited screen-cap of this post floating around on Twitter and in YouTube videos.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

vyelkin posted:

its too late the shambling hordes of billions of dead chinese citizens have already breached the borders, humanity is doomed and if you have ever touched a product that said made in china you are already dead

when i am gone my posts will live forever

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i died from the coronavirus and am currently posting from hell, but you know what? its not so bad here, at least its hot so we dont have coronavirus, oh poo poo the demon next to me just coughed

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

The inscrutable orientals are at once strong and weak.

get this
fu
man-flu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted: