Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

~Coxy posted:

Why do we need a new 146?

Because four engines is obviously twice as good as two engines!

A former co-worker of mine flies those for North Cariboo now, apparently they are pretty good planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PT6A posted:

A former co-worker of mine flies those for North Cariboo now, apparently they are pretty good planes.

My parents and I flew on one on a family trip from Catania to Florence back in 1992 and she *still* talks about how nice and smooth the flight was every so often.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I suspect the one-engine-out performance is also understandably robust compared to a twin, which probably helps meet requirements for 704 and 705 operators regarding balanced field length and required climb gradient in smaller airports where that's a significant concern.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Bring back the Dornier 328!

Key Lime still runs a couple out of DEN. Or they did anyway, it seems like Sky West took over the routes they were on for some reason. I doubt there are enough people in Riverton or Sheridan Wyoming to fill a CRJ2, let alone have multiple flights a day there.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bombardier's 33% stake in the A220 is now owned by Airbus. The other major shareholder remains Quebec's pension fund at 16%?

On the BAE 146, good news, apparently a Japanese firm developed a new small and quiet turbofan for the Kawasaki P-1 ASW aircraft. Apparently they wanted redundancy and quietness. Surely an airliner cannot be far behind!

(I think Kawasaki studied this but nixed the idea.)

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Fly by light is not a term I had heard before, and I am excited to hear it means exactly what I thought it did

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

fknlo posted:

Key Lime still runs a couple out of DEN. Or they did anyway, it seems like Sky West took over the routes they were on for some reason. I doubt there are enough people in Riverton or Sheridan Wyoming to fill a CRJ2, let alone have multiple flights a day there.

Absolutely not Riverton. Sheridan, sure, but Riverton... :barf:

The P-1 is really kickass. I'm far more impressed with it than I am the Poseidon.

Dr_Strangelove fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 13, 2020

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

Bombardier's 33% stake in the A220 is now owned by Airbus. The other major shareholder remains Quebec's pension fund at 16%?

On the BAE 146, good news, apparently a Japanese firm developed a new small and quiet turbofan for the Kawasaki P-1 ASW aircraft. Apparently they wanted redundancy and quietness. Surely an airliner cannot be far behind!

(I think Kawasaki studied this but nixed the idea.)

it also looks really cute in this livery.

(fly by light sounds very cool)

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Fly by light is not a term I had heard before, and I am excited to hear it means exactly what I thought it did

Yea same here. EMI hardness and "data transfer rate" is all well and good but the weight savings of fiber optics versus a bunch of copper wire w/ stainless steel EMI braiding is likely a few hundred pounds. (A big deal) Aerospace EMI braded cable is heavy, and running 200+ feet of it versus the small converter box w/EMI cable is great. Almost any MIL aero project end sup over weight so its a big win.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Inacio posted:

it also looks really cute in this livery.

(fly by light sounds very cool)

Are those CFM56s? That’s a lot of them for a small plane if so.

e: nope it’s an IHI F7, which looking at the thrust is about equivalent to a CF34, which makes more sense
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IHI_Corporation_F7

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 13, 2020

marumaru
May 20, 2013

e.pilot posted:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

e.pilot posted:

e: nope it’s an IHI F7, which looking at the thrust is about equivalent to a CF34, which makes more sense

The truly remarkable thing about the P-1 is how *quiet* it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJZCPuGXYhg

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The truly remarkable thing about the P-1 is how *quiet* it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJZCPuGXYhg

Same with the BAE 146, they’re marvelously quiet

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I noticed that ATL’s north runway(s) have a bit of a dip in them while riding in on MARTA. I assume it would be a bastard to keep things perfectly level, but it was a bit surprised that there appeared to be a noticeable change in elevation mid way through. What is general protocol for architecting a runway? How flat does a surface have to be for your average airliner to land (safely and ideally be able to take off again from) on?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Warbird posted:

I noticed that ATL’s north runway(s) have a bit of a dip in them while riding in on MARTA. I assume it would be a bastard to keep things perfectly level, but it was a bit surprised that there appeared to be a noticeable change in elevation mid way through. What is general protocol for architecting a runway? How flat does a surface have to be for your average airliner to land (safely and ideally be able to take off again from) on?

Check this runway out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JARNXVXJ1Dk

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

Warbird posted:

I had asked myself this question in the past after seeing a runway like that.

I found this on the FAA site that gave me WAY more info than I ever needed:

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/150-5300-13A-chg1-interactive-201907.pdf

Stuff about slopes is in section 313

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i'll never stop being impressed by how gigantic the A380's tail fin is

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

A380 has the coolest wings.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If they got rid of the fivehead the A380 would have a chance of being quite a good looking aircraft.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I knew it would be Birmingham

Also bear in mind camera angle and lens effects make the bumps look much closer together than they are

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Warbird posted:

It’s honestly not that noticeable. Runway slope is taken into account for takeoff and landing distances however.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Absolutely not Riverton. Sheridan, sure, but Riverton... :barf:

The P-1 is really kickass. I'm far more impressed with it than I am the Poseidon.

you can buy like some absurd number of poseidons for the same price if I recall correctly

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/wtyppod/status/1228023277936893952?s=19

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

PT6A posted:

Strong agree, but my point was more that the 146 currently exists and is already flying where it makes sense to and probably a lot of places where it technically doesn't.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

PT6A posted:

I've always had a soft spot for the 146.

I believe we still have a regular poster here which I won't name that flies them regularly as a day job too.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What’s your favourite obscure airport?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

When I flew into Huntsville, AL I thought it was neat it had a ton of interesting ads and displays of various military hardware for all the folks going to Redstone.

Also the Air and Space museum not too far away was pretty cool.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Hot Springs MT

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 14, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

priznat posted:

When I flew into Huntsville, AL I thought it was neat it had a ton of interesting ads and displays of various military hardware for all the folks going to Redstone.

Also the Air and Space museum not too far away was pretty cool.

One of my high school friends got married under the Saturn V main engines there. :3:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Midjack posted:

One of my high school friends got married under the Saturn V main engines there. :3:

That rules, when I went it was before it got moved into the swank new building and was just sitting out on the wheeled carriers in parts. Still goddamn impressive, though.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Has anyone flown into/out of London City airport? I read that it has a 5.5 degree glideslope, does that feel a lot different to a normal 3 degree approach?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I have. I don't remember it feeling anything different to any other city airport I've flown into

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Has anyone flown into/out of London City airport? I read that it has a 5.5 degree glideslope, does that feel a lot different to a normal 3 degree approach?

I've never really noticed the difference. the view flying in is pretty neat though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My vote is tiny Saba (SAB) airport, on the also tiny Caribbean island of Saba (about 10 miles south of SXM).

Whopping 1312' of runway with sheer cliffs on either end. When I flew out on a DH6, we started to rotate but basically drove off the edge and you actually end up having your stomach in your throat from the sudden abrupt drop for a sec before you climb.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

slidebite posted:

My vote is tiny Saba (SAB) airport, on the also tiny Caribbean island of Saba (about 10 miles south of SXM).

Whopping 1312' of runway with sheer cliffs on either end. When I flew out on a DH6, we started to rotate but basically drove off the edge and you actually end up having your stomach in your throat from the sudden abrupt drop for a sec before you climb.

:stonk: That's a tight fit even for an Archer

It's not obscure, but the river visual for runway 19 at DCA is a blast, especially if you're on the left side

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Based on the subpanel that's in, I assume that closes the outflow and safety valves so the plane doesn't fill with water.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

slidebite posted:

1312' of runway

Suddenly my favorite airport

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you can buy like some absurd number of poseidons for the same price if I recall correctly

Oh, I have no doubt that's true. The P-1 has to be insanely pricey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KTNT

10,500' of heavy-jet capable runway in the middle of loving nowhere, for no readily apparent reason. It's now home to alligators, ratty Cessnas and Pipers doing touch and goes, and occasionally the Dade county police sniper team practice.

It's a remnant of the Boeing 2707 program, intended to allow SSTs to land near Miami, and to eventually replace KMIA, after public transit connections were completed. Anyone who lives in south Florida finds every single part of the history of KTNT darkly ironic.