Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
pee pee poo poo corona is a good virus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

so for how long was apt #2 dude living with the constant smell of poo poo from his floor drain before he caught corona?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
It's all Microsoft's fault. They tasked a research team with making Bing do better in China.

I regret nothing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

still laughing at r0 guy

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
didn't PJ make a big show of jumping ship to the offsite? did they get sick of her or have they too fallen to the gigaplague

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Eox posted:

didn't PJ make a big show of jumping ship to the offsite? did they get sick of her or have they too fallen to the gigaplague

Someone mentioned that they dont tolerate that kinda posting over there but Im not sure if they were guessing or knew.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PJ was also the person that breathlessly detailed trump's coming mental collapse

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
How would you even tell with something like that?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, you gotta give her false predictions

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

My chinese in-laws do not have a trap installed on their bathroom sink at all. They live at the top of a high-rise condo in Shanghai. The bathroom smells of sewage whenever the air moves, but they can't smell it like I can, and won't fix it. They spend tons of money on everything but their home, but the pipes are a mickey-mouse setup and their big chandelier fell down the other week.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 13, 2020

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
The truth is trickling out now, bit by bit. My guess is that the CDC will make an announcement Friday after the stock market has closed as to the real likely impact in the US. Monday is a holiday so the markets will be closed as well which gives everyone a nice 4 days to absorb the information.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

i say swears online posted:

PJ was also the person that breathlessly detailed trump's coming mental collapse

PJ was the poster who postulated that trump might physically charge at hillary on the debate stage and tbh i appreciate her for giving me that hope

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

succ posted:

The truth is trickling out now, bit by bit. My guess is that the CDC will make an announcement Friday after the stock market has closed as to the real likely impact in the US. Monday is a holiday so the markets will be closed as well which gives everyone a nice 4 days to absorb the information.

This is definitely gonna make a dent on the economy. The question is whether it's going to kick us into the long-overdue recession.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Telsa Cola posted:

Someone mentioned that they dont tolerate that kinda posting over there but Im not sure if they were guessing or knew.

She's only doing this here, because you all must seem more receptive to it

Prester, we can tell you're not having the greatest of mental health weeks, and it's affecting how you're handling the news. It's not your mission to convince everyone to not believe a lie. In fact, nothing happens differently at all whether the public broadly believe the mainstream narrative on this or some other one (and they don't -- most people remain unconvinced and impressed by ANY narrative on it). The global response will be exactly the same no matter what the powerless public believes, and you cannot affect how the rulers handle it no matter how hard you try. Just sit back and watch and relax.

Relax in both the realization that the public's beliefs don't change a drat thing, and relax in the realization that the response is already maximal in some ways regardless of the public's intervention -- the rulers have already shut down the economy, which is pretty much the most extreme thing possible, and awesome. Anything that hurts the stock market and forces a great reckoning that devalues wealth is good for the rest of us.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
https://www.zeit.de/wissen/gesundheit/2020-02/coronavirus-wissenschaftler-pandemie (unfortunately in German, but google translate works well enough)

This is a good article about the guy who discovered SARS in 2003. His team studied the patients in Bavaria and they found out that the virus can multiply in the throat without affecting the lungs, which explains its somewhat weird behaviour a bit. He says we might be majorly screwed because of this.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lol

Lmao

Honj Steak posted:

https://www.zeit.de/wissen/gesundheit/2020-02/coronavirus-wissenschaftler-pandemie (unfortunately in German, but google translate works well enough)

This is a good article about the guy who discovered SARS in 2003. His team studied the patients in Bavaria and they found out that the virus can multiply in the throat without affecting the lungs, which explains its somewhat weird behaviour a bit. He says we might be majorly screwed because of this.

God that owns. Viruses are so cool. They can do all this poo poo and they aren't even alive. Just like, glitches and bugs in our meat software that happened to glitch just the right way that they can reproduce and spread.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 13, 2020

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

succ posted:

Will Saddam be killed though?

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

This is definitely gonna make a dent on the economy. The question is whether it's going to kick us into the long-overdue recession.

It's already a disaster. Even if the virus disappeared today, the damage that has been done will ripple through the world for months. China is already facing problems due to the loss of ~40% of it's swine herd, the added problems from the virus on supply chains will cause food prices to increase locally and globaly for months.

On top of that world trade is hosed in the medium term, even if the virus turns out to be nothing. This was/is the Black Swan event that will crash the global economy. The only question now is how fast and how hard it will fall.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

succ posted:

It's already a disaster. Even if the virus disappeared today, the damage that has been done will ripple through the world for months. China is already facing problems due to the loss of ~40% of it's swine herd, the added problems from the virus on supply chains will cause food prices to increase locally and globaly for months.

1 month shutdown is already 8% of their GDP just gone like that. That's going to take months to even catch up to, let alone post positive gains on after that.

succ posted:

On top of that world trade is hosed in the medium term, even if the virus turns out to be nothing. This was/is the Black Swan event that will crash the global economy. The only question now is how fast and how hard it will fall.

I don't know -- the economy can be surprisingly resilient even as it can explode because of one random thing. Kinda like humans in that regard.

gregday
May 23, 2003

they can no longer contain the wuhan secret

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
what really matters is when the US gigacorps start issuing downward revisions to profits and revenues. Should be coming in the next few weeks her

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol disrupting supply chains momentarily isn't a great reckoning

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1228061281556615172?s=20

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Homeless Friend posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI&t=22s

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1228059519030190085?s=20

huh.....

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol this isn't going to effect capitalism negatively

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Homeless Friend posted:

It is if those supply chains involve food and medicine.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://www.capitaleconomics.com/the-economic-effects-of-the-coronavirus/

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Homeless Friend posted:

the entire planet operates on JIT lol

it's not going to instantly crash everything, but a brief shutdown somewhere leads to a longer shutdown somewhere else that relies on the first place leads to an even longer shutdown at the third place that relies on the second place (which in turn relies on the first place)

it's kinda like traffic jams

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Siljmonster posted:

Lol this isn't going to effect capitalism negatively

One can dream...

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For a month China couldn't create more plastic products that break after 5 uses or are just disposable for insane Americans to throw away

Now we eat rocks to survive

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
ugh this loving iphone is a month old. might as well just spit in my eye.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SpaceCadetBob posted:

so for how long was apt #2 dude living with the constant smell of poo poo from his floor drain before he caught corona?
Farts that smell like flu megathread

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol imagine thinking capitalism will be negatively harmed by a crisis instead of just finding a way to cannibalize the new problem to make even higher profits

mask futures are only going up, up, up!

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

vyelkin posted:

lol imagine thinking capitalism will be negatively harmed by a crisis instead of just finding a way to cannibalize the new problem to make even higher profits

mask futures are only going up, up, up!

can't wait for the coronavirus vaccine to be lobbied out of worldwide deployment because it would hurt Big Mask profits

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

the entire planet operates on JIT lol

it's not going to instantly crash everything, but a brief shutdown somewhere leads to a longer shutdown somewhere else that relies on the first place leads to an even longer shutdown at the third place that relies on the second place (which in turn relies on the first place)

it's kinda like traffic jams

Yes I understand knock on effects, it's got nothin to do with a reckoning tho

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
by this time next week cruise lines will be advertising "unlike other cruises, OURS is guaranteed coronavirus free!"

airplane manufacturers will start rolling out fraudulent claims that their HEPA filters can filter coronaviruses from the air, meaning their planes remain safe to fly on

rich people are probably already buying self-sufficient yachts that can stay at sea for six months at a time so they can cut themselves off from the world of coronaviruses

some silicon valley bro is watching contagion and thinking about how he could make an app called "4sythia" that tells you which wild herbs to eat to cure different viruses

capitalism, uh, finds a way

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Food supply takes priority as well as other vital infrastructure. China won’t let that collapse but they’re going to try quarantine until that starts to show cracks. At that point, they’ll give up on the quarantine.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

vyelkin posted:

rich people are probably already buying self-sufficient yachts that can stay at sea for six months at a time so they can cut themselves off from the world of coronaviruses

im gunna steal the uss constitution and start raiding rich people floating mega-yacht islands

does anyone here know how to load powder and a cannon ball? i promise an unionized pirate workforce with an equal share of the profits gleaned from sinking rich people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
so, uh, insulin isn’t part of the items being disrupted I hope.