Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

roomforthetuna posted:

Batman just walking into Ivy's hideout with a big can of Bat-Roundup.

You joke, but I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see that happen in a more comedic story like All Star Batman, or The Brave and the Bold. Other characters treat Batman with respect that far outweighs human limits or even outright reverence in most stories, including other heroes and villains. Flash, Green Lantern etc. in the recent animated movies think he's a myth before they meet him, and that he must have super powers when he turns out to be real for instance. Ivy thinking he's not worth fighting just because he's not superhuman to the degree she is would be the height of stupidity if it were true, but even the use of the word "hindrance" there just seems to indicate she doesn't see him as a goal anymore and not as any kind of value judgement on his abilities.

Edit: the fact she immediately afterwards says that she'll "cross swords" with Batman if she must implies she thinks he'd be capable of fighting her anyway.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kind of Batman's whole thing is punching above his weight class when he has to.

Poison Ivy's usual more villainous versions play up her being selfish, short-sighted and even immature- especially the ones where she's an actual child. Of course, 'angry stupid hippie' doesn't play well with their target demographics anymore at all.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

tsob posted:

Okay? The entire point of Batman in the popular imagination though is that he can literally best anyone or anything with sufficient preparation and/or tools. At least for the last few decades. He's beaten intergalactic Gods, so while all that sounds terrifying, it's also not outside his wheelhouse to upset that kind of power curve regardless and it's also not something villains like Ivy have reason to be ignorant of.

Batman's "showdown" with Swampy in Moore's run is great at letting both sides flex. Batman brings blades, fire, tears up all kinds of plant life in his way... but Swamp Thing always grows back and whallops the poo poo out of Bruce, a mere mortal who can put up a fight but will inevitably run out of energy against the Green.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I like it when Ivy is more of an anti-hero. I think Batman is far more interesting when he's dealing with ideas that the villains aren't necessarily wrong, only that their methods aren't matching up with what he considers the ideal. Especially given the current discussion with climate change, I like the idea of a story where Batman has to come to terms with the fact that Ivy might be right, that politics won't stop climate change because of corruption, and that he himself got in the game for the very same reasons. Like, if she wants to destroy this big gently caress-off factory but doesn't want to kill anyone in the process, how does he deal with that without sounding like a big ol' hypocrite?

Also, I want Ivy to have a framed picture of Greta somewhere in the background of the show because, hell, same.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

To Batman's credit, he does show a degree of empathy for his villains and does try to help them when he can.
A part of me wonder if he just doesn't kill the joker because he is afraid the people of Gotham city would end up being more afraid of that crazy guy in a bat costume punching criminal once the clown is dead.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 13, 2020

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I've never quite gotten why the onus is on Batman to kill the Joker honestly. Yea, he keeps escaping Arkham, but that's the fault of the city for having poo poo facilities as much as anything and even if the sentence must be death then let Gotham cities jury pass it and the state execute him. Why is it on Batman to kill the guy, rather than the people and government of the place he keeps going on murder sprees in?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

tsob posted:

I've never quite gotten why the onus is on Batman to kill the Joker honestly. Yea, he keeps escaping Arkham, but that's the fault of the city for having poo poo facilities as much as anything and even if the sentence must be death then let Gotham cities jury pass it and the state execute him. Why is it on Batman to kill the guy, rather than the people and government of the place he keeps going on murder sprees in?

The "White Knight" series had the best theory behind this - Batman's rogues gallery is allowed to exist because rich people profit off of their antics in the form of organized insurance fraud and shady real estate acquisitions.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Batman knows that he's nothing without his villains. He actually keeps breaking joker out, mystery men style

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I'm putting this here in case it comes true.

Part of me wants to see Bane do something so heroic that he gets banned from the Legion and becomes labeled an Anti-hero <NO!!> :p

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

shades of eternity posted:

I'm putting this here in case it comes true.

Part of me wants to see Bane do something so heroic that he gets banned from the Legion and becomes labeled an Anti-hero <NO!!> :p

It's almost like they mixed Bane with "Mad Stan" from Batman Beyond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MduM0SCXlqM

Henry Rollins voiced him.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I always liked the idea that Batman doesn’t kill Joker because he knows he lives in a world where ghosts and demons are real, and he ain’t about to take a chance on Joker coming back like that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

PantsOptional posted:

I always liked the idea that Batman doesn’t kill Joker because he knows he lives in a world where ghosts and demons are real, and he ain’t about to take a chance on Joker coming back like that.

You know what, I'd actually really enjoy a story in the vein of Emperor Joker, where Batman kills Joker and it just makes things worse because now he has to deal with undead ghost Joker. Apropos of nothing, that comic has one of my favourite Joker/Harley interactions/lines, where Joker turns Harley in to constellation after they share a final kiss before noting that it's "for all your tears of service". Substituting years for tears is such a simple change, but does a lot to describe their relationship while making it clear that he does care about her, even if only in his own sick, twisted way and ultimately wanted her to have eternity as a reward for what she'd put up with.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The "White Knight" series had the best theory behind this - Batman's rogues gallery is allowed to exist because rich people profit off of their antics in the form of organized insurance fraud and shady real estate acquisitions.

That one would be pretty perfect with a rogues gallery less into mass murder and societal unrest especially of high profile targets than modern Batman, or a more contained arc where the amoral rich don't realize they're making GBS threads where they eat until the monster breaks its chains. As a sustainable take of Bruce Wayne being the one good billionaire because of the batsuit it's merely above average.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Killer robot posted:

That one would be pretty perfect with a rogues gallery less into mass murder and societal unrest especially of high profile targets than modern Batman, or a more contained arc where the amoral rich don't realize they're making GBS threads where they eat until the monster breaks its chains. As a sustainable take of Bruce Wayne being the one good billionaire because of the batsuit it's merely above average.

The proles have to be scared of said rogue's gallery so they keep seeing Batman as a hero and not some obvious/oblivious rich guy who comes and levels city blocks in mostly impoverished neighborhoods because Riddler challenged him. In this arc the rich 'cabal' (what they literally called themselves) let Batman know they knew who he was and how not only would they reveal his identity and ruin his life, but also how Wayne Enterprises was profiting off of city projects to rebuild what Batman had 'accidentally' destroyed, as were they.

And recently, they even took things in an even more radical direction - Bruce Wayne isn't a Wayne. His great-great-great grandfather killed a Wayne and took over his name, fortune, and station in Gotham.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 14, 2020

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Just watched the latest ep, did not see that coming.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Holy poo poo

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Hell yeah.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

pentyne posted:

Hell yeah.

"That's not a 'no.'"

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
First half of the episode: Kiteman hell yeah.

Ending: Oh :ohdear:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hrm.....not showing up on my usual streaming sites... its usually uploaded first thing friday morning

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

bring back old gbs posted:

hrm.....not showing up on my usual streaming sites... its usually uploaded first thing friday morning

Weirdly enough it was on DC's first thing....

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SimonCat posted:

Weirdly enough it was on DC's first thing....

does it usually delay or something for US people?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I know here in Canada it doesn't air until Sunday nights.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

"Oh god it was just a kid." I love this show so much.

That was quite a gut punch at the end.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

tsob posted:

Why is the onus on him to go put on a rubber suit and beat mental patients instead of (say) funding a better trained and equipped police force?

Once you decide that you're the extra-legal vigilante who has to personally fight crime (investigating, finding evidence, beating down homeless asylum escapees and arresting them), why is the last step such a big obstacle?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

It used to be him just beating up mobsters, just that the mob bosses each had a shtick. Killer Croc used to run a mob, fer cryin' out loud, but now Croc, Joker, etc are no different than that Szazs guy.

Only the Penguin and Black Mask keep to the "Mob Boss with a gimmick" formula. The rest became Arkham inmates that keep on escaping. And Bane.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Xander77 posted:

Why is the onus on him to go put on a rubber suit and beat mental patients instead of (say) funding a better trained and equipped police force?

Once you decide that you're the extra-legal vigilante who has to personally fight crime (investigating, finding evidence, beating down homeless asylum escapees and arresting them), why is the last step such a big obstacle?
To be fair, sometimes the extra-legal vigilante is a good idea - the Penguin is actually the best villain for Batman because his whole schtick is wealth and corruption, things the police are notoriously bad at dealing with. But yeah, every other villain should be the job of the police, and trying to prosecute the wealth and corruption case through the legal system seems like a bad idea, that's probably better resolved with just a quietly murdering vigilante. Or a loudly murdering vigilante if you fancy something more Punishery.

(Kingpin is another good villain for vigilantes for the same reason.)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hypocrisy posted:

That was quite a gut punch at the end.

That joke was awesome. Subtle, based in Ivy's character and even for those who missed the joke* it comes off as funny since it would seem like she was just making that statement out of the blue.

*Counting tree rings probably isn't the first thing most people watching the show would think of. But there it is.

And yeah. Kinda half expected it to be her when the episodes had been focusing on her lately. Well, her or Kiteman, but that wouldve been too obvious a story beat.

Strangely reminded me of sprouting from Grim Fandango.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I've a funny feeling Kite Man (hell yeah) is about to get a lot less idiotic and vengefully deadly next episode.

That being said, I fully expect either Batman or Gordon to keep Harley et al. from killing Joker because if the Joker's dead, Batman's less cool and Gordon won't get as many taxpayer-funded tanks.

I also fully expect Ivy to resurrect - as she's done in the past - but have one of the more common downsides of not remembering anyone or anything but The Green. My guess is that'll be the cliffhanger. "Who the gently caress are you people?"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 16, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've a funny feeling Kite Man (hell yeah) is about to get a lot less idiotic and vengefully deadly next episode.

That being said, I fully expect either Batman or Gordon to keep Harley et al. from killing Joker because if the Joker's dead, Batman's less cool and Gordon won't get as many taxpayer-funded tanks.

I also fully expect Ivy to resurrect - as she's done in the past - but have one of the more common downsides of not remembering anyone or anything but The Green. My guess is that'll be the cliffhanger. "Who the gently caress are you people?"

S2 would definitely be about Harley and Kite Man trying to revive Ivy and sassing Swamp Thing and possibly the Justice League Dark to make it happen or at least let them into the Green. Probably also see The Floronic Man/Jason Woodrue who initially made Ivy the plant person she became

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

S2 would definitely be about Harley and Kite Man trying to revive Ivy and sassing Swamp Thing and possibly the Justice League Dark to make it happen or at least let them into the Green. Probably also see The Floronic Man/Jason Woodrue who initially made Ivy the plant person she became

Something tells me Woodrue and Psycho would get along. They're both creepy gaslighters.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr Psycho offering Ivy 30 bucks to put him in her pocket isn't getting enough love :laffo:

Hypocrisy posted:

The show didn't have to go there but I'm glad they did.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

First half of the episode: Kiteman hell yeah.

Ending: Oh :ohdear:

it's gonna be ok, right?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Man, gently caress you Joker.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Dr Psycho offering Ivy 30 bucks to put him in her pocket isn't getting enough love :laffo:

"Hey, I've got a type!"

Kaincypher posted:

it's gonna be ok, right?

My thoughts? Yes. It's supposed to be a violent 'ha ha uncomfortably funny' show - an Ivy permadeath makes it too serious. They're certainly going to make us work for it, though - that's why I'm assuming Ivy's going to resurrect with no memory of any of them and they'll all have to get into her good graces again from square one.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 16, 2020

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Hrm, speaking of The Green, what happened with the Swamp Thing show? I remember hearing it was being cancelled after one pretty decent episode and then the episodes seemed to keep coming out. Is it gonna get any more seasons?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Organic Lube User posted:

Hrm, speaking of The Green, what happened with the Swamp Thing show? I remember hearing it was being cancelled after one pretty decent episode and then the episodes seemed to keep coming out. Is it gonna get any more seasons?

It got cancelled mid filming for whatever reason, but they sort of wrapped up the story and released the 10 episodes

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The main reason they can't kill Ivy off for very long is because her voice actor is too loving good to let go.

Also "gently caress you, I don't know" when confronted with why she loves Kite Man is basically the best explanation anyone has ever given for their romance in modern entertainment... ever. (And admittedly, I get it. Some people are just super genuine with their compliments, no matter how awfully they're delivered, and it can be extremely endearing to other people who just never got that kind of affection. Go Ivy and Kite Man! [But really, go Ivy and Harley.])

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 16, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

This is a very good show.
Lots of good moments in this episode. And they packed so much into it, it felt like a two parter.

The flowers blooming in the trees at the end was a nice touch.

evilmiera posted:

Strangely reminded me of sprouting from Grim Fandango.

Those moments in the game were more horrific, but I can see the similarity.

itry fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Kite Man asking to become Mr. Poison Ivy was great.

Dr Psycho makes me wonder if giant meta-human strippers are a thing in this universe. Maybe where he met Giganta?