Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Superman is the actual, single reason behind the gorilla story boom in the Silver Age. It's what happens when he gets bored. That's why they keep hiring supervillains for him to fight, because next time he gets bored they're worried he'll bring back disco.

This time with a vengeance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Superman is the actual, single reason behind the gorilla story boom in the Silver Age. It's what happens when he gets bored. That's why they keep hiring supervillains for him to fight, because next time he gets bored they're worried he'll bring back disco.

This time with a vengeance.

Combine the two. Bring on The Funky Monkey. Hail the return of The BGs (Big Gorillas). Beware ABBANANA.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Keeshhound posted:

Superman Containment Project

:yosnice:

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
All this managing superman talk really reminds me of Irredeemable. I don't read very many comics, and I've never read injustice but I have read red son, but otherwise not much superman really. Irredeemable was about a hero that was superman with the serial numbers filed off named The Plutonian, same powers and powerlevel and justice-league-like allies. He basically goes insane listening to everybody in the world and hearing people be ungrateful to him and still reliant on him while taking him for granted, and then always blaming him for anything that still goes wrong. He pents all that up for years, and then has a couple traumatic events in a row and loses it, and starts murdering people by the millions.

It's a grim story of batman-level heroes desperately trying to manage the insane all-powerful megalomaniac. The scenes where the plutonian finds the heroes in a group and they just start disappearing because the plutonian is abducting them faster than they can perceive, or when he just starts throwing humans into the void of space for sport are really creepy. There's also a really interesting explanation for what powers the plutonian has and what all his powers really are, and that he's incredibly more powerful than even he realizes. It's also a finished arc of 36 issues, which is something I always like in a comic.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Olaf The Stout posted:

All this managing superman talk really reminds me of Irredeemable. I don't read very many comics, and I've never read injustice but I have read red son, but otherwise not much superman really. Irredeemable was about a hero that was superman with the serial numbers filed off named The Plutonian, same powers and powerlevel and justice-league-like allies. He basically goes insane listening to everybody in the world and hearing people be ungrateful to him and still reliant on him while taking him for granted, and then always blaming him for anything that still goes wrong. He pents all that up for years, and then has a couple traumatic events in a row and loses it, and starts murdering people by the millions.

It's a grim story of batman-level heroes desperately trying to manage the insane all-powerful megalomaniac. The scenes where the plutonian finds the heroes in a group and they just start disappearing because the plutonian is abducting them faster than they can perceive, or when he just starts throwing humans into the void of space for sport are really creepy. There's also a really interesting explanation for what powers the plutonian has and what all his powers really are, and that he's incredibly more powerful than even he realizes. It's also a finished arc of 36 issues, which is something I always like in a comic.

It's also worth reading Incorruptible, about a villain who sees the Plutonian go nuts and decides he has to be a good guy now -- they intertwine a bit.

Also includes one of my favorite attempted hero names, Hate Crime. "Because I hate crime!"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #6 (1940)

Green Mask #7 (1941)

Ghostly Tales #69 (1968)

Warlock #9 (1975)

Spidey Super Stories #15 (1976)

The Inhumans #9 (1977)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures #19 (1991)

Tokyo Zombie (1999)

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Darthemed posted:

Ghostly Tales #69 (1968)

So is the issue here that he didn't hire union ghosts? Or does the union not allow ghosts in it?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

prefect posted:

It's also worth reading Incorruptible, about a villain who sees the Plutonian go nuts and decides he has to be a good guy now -- they intertwine a bit.

Also includes one of my favorite attempted hero names, Hate Crime. "Because I hate crime!"
https://twitter.com/beanytuesday/status/1182465439760293888?s=19

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

So is the issue here that he didn't hire union ghosts? Or does the union not allow ghosts in it?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

G-g-g-ghost scabs, zoiks!

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

I was not aware that communism was counted among the undead.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Wow. Cannot believe how quickly I went from the side of the union to hating them.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

quote:

Was this ever a licensed game?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I feel attacked.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

The union just wants to make sure workin’ ghosts have benefits!

(The Goon #15)

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

wait is THAT what the goon is about??

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 13, 2020

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ignite Memories posted:

wait is THAT what the goon is about??

I mean, it's generally about the juxtaposition of mysticism with 1920s street toughs, yeah. Not usually so specifically jokes about union rules, but that's the general theme.

Kinda like Hellboy but a little more grounded.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I always liked the story about the time the Goon and friends were the members of a newly-founded local football team, specifically because it was the least goofy issue of the series.

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

I was not aware that communism was counted among the undead.

It's like literally the first line of the manifesto. You can't say you weren't informed :colbert:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Darthemed posted:

[

The Inhumans #9 (1977)

Huh so I guess this is where Piccolo learned his clothes beam technique.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
marvels civil war 4 should be over unionization

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

marvels civil war 4 should be over unionization

Jeff Bezos as the hero/villain?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tony doesnt want to pay the avengers fair wages + benefits

who will join the scab team and who will fight for fair labor practices in the workplace

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Wanderer posted:

I always liked the story about the time the Goon and friends were the members of a newly-founded local football team, specifically because it was the least goofy issue of the series.
it really wasn't. they get far more depressing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/1227760021095628800?s=21

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

who will join the scab team and who will fight for fair labor practices in the workplace

Spider-Man will scab because he usually works for free anyway and being broke is the status quo writers won't let him escape.

Hawkeye will fight for fair wages because he gets injured frequently and needs to make sure he gets healthcare and workmans comp.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ms. Marvel #34

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Why is Snoke a lady and why is Kyle looking my age instead of looking like a young person?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Snoke's terf bangs reveal his true colors...

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Keeshhound posted:

Was this ever a licensed game?

Years ago there was a Facebook Flash movie tie in game based on the Avengers*.

It had Shocker as a character, and his ultimate attack had him hop into the Shockermobile and run over the enemy team.

It ruled.

* = This was, no joke, one of the best Marvel games ever made.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

ItsDisposable posted:

It's like literally the first line of the manifesto. You can't say you weren't informed :colbert:

:yosnice:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Snoke is wearing a hat, it's not hair.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

How Wonderful! posted:

Snoke's terf bangs reveal his true colors...

youd think hed be more accepting since palpy was cool with transitioning into reys body

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

site posted:

This isn't Chicago, the dead don't get to vote.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Alhazred posted:

Ms. Marvel #34

SHOCKER!!!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TwoPair posted:

Spider-Man will scab because he usually works for free anyway and being broke is the status quo writers won't let him escape.

Hawkeye will fight for fair wages because he gets injured frequently and needs to make sure he gets healthcare and workmans comp.

Nah, Peter got burned in Civil War 1 to go back to working for Tony, plus he's dating/married to an actress, who can tell him all about the benefits of a good union.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Yvonmukluk posted:

he's dating/married to an actress, who can tell him all about the benefits of a good union.
Peter's health insurance is probably through Actor's Equity.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
spider-man has, like, 8 other super identities. he'd scab as one of them and feel really really anxious about it the whole time until he finally quit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

first on the scab line is spider-hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Alhazred posted:

Ms. Marvel #34

Shocker really should be named "Captain Leave Me Alone".

He even shoots bursts of go away.