Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Putting fetches in standard with shocks absolutely ruins the format. Print them in 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Also Fabled Passage to me feels like a very clear signal that we are not getting capital F Fetchlands in Standard anytime soon. Passage isn't great by comparison but it's free mana fixing that won't show up in every deck, and the name is generic enough that they can probably reprint it in any setting if they so choose. Personally I would have said that Prismatic Vista was a potential future Standard reprint before Passage came along, but here we are.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Necronomicon posted:

I don't hate fetches so much as I hate the constant shuffling they lead to. Of course if it's a digital version of Magic I could care less. I think my other objection to fetch lands is how loving expensive and rare they are compared to how mundane their effect is. Mana fixing is boring.

I bet you play fabled passage.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Sickening posted:

Walking ballista is more expensive than polluted delta. You folks who hate fetches are loving weird.

There are plenty of valid reasons to dislike fetches besides their cost.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Clowner posted:

From a flavor perspective, Zendikar is cooler with Eldrazi than without

i think both had merit, but eldrazi zendikar got a return and non-eldrazi zendikar did not, given that the return to zendikar sets were heavily eldrazi-themed and very little indiana jones themes

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Dehtraen posted:

I’m sure they do that, but also preparing the graphics for coverage and the web, preparing stuff for deck techs, making sure the coverage team is familiar with the decks / cards / etc. They also film some interviews with the players in advance where they’ll talk about their deck choice.

Early deck submittal also leads to stale / old meta games, kinda like the MPL weekly stuff that was always 1-2 weeks behind the paper / online meta because everything was filmed well before it was aired

I know there are video production reasons, but I gotta say it’s crazy WotC doesn’t have production tools that would allow them to work closer to air. Old pro tour live coverage did that stuff no problem!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

neaden posted:

There are plenty of valid reasons to dislike fetches besides their cost.

They are all silly though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Putting fetches in standard with shocks absolutely ruins the format. Print them in 2021

Good news, Ravnica rotates out when Zendikar becomes legal!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Zendikar Vampires, Goblins and Kor are all cool.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Eldrazi are actually the best creature type, but battle for zendikar was so bad that it even did eldrazi badly. tks, smasher and friends were great though, there were just too many zergling type eldrazi and ingest was really bad.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I doubt they'll reprint cards that are banned in Pioneer.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When are they gonna do a Wild West But With Wands Instead Of Guns set? WotC hire me

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I love westerns, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a fantastical/sci-fi take on the genre other than Bone Tomahawk that I didn’t think was corny as hell.

I vaguely remember seeing someone’s design for a weird west plane where the main mechanic was a showdown/draw thing where both players reveal the bottom card of their libraries and compare cmc that I thought was rad but it’s basically just clash.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
It’s one of the few ideas on MaRo’s short list that hasn’t been used yet.

quote:

What’s the “short list”?
It’s a list of ideas for new planes that are often requested and Wizards is aware of. They include, among others:
Egyptian World
Fairy Tale World
High fantasy/”Camelot” World
Indian World
Meso-American World
Murder Mystery/Noir World
Pirate World
Prehistoric World
Prison World
Roman World
Sky World
Steampunk World
Underground World
Viking/Norse World
Water World
Wild West-Inspired World

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We came dangerously close to some racist overtones what with conquistador vampires and Aztec Dinosaur worshippers, I doubt we could pull off a Wild West world without touching some uncomfortable gripes about Indigenous people and thunderbirds etc.

Here’s a radical idea: more out there stuff like Ikoria, less “here’s the Magic version of a common fictional trope” like “fairy tales, but magic” or “pirates, but magic” or “mummies, but magic”

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
What’s racist about vampire conquistadors? It’s literally making them blood-draining parasites.

Also, lol at Ikoria being “out there” when it’s just “Kaiju but Magic”

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

whydirt posted:

What’s racist about vampire conquistadors? It’s literally making them blood-draining parasites.

I think everyone can agree that if WOTC did a “war plane” with a faction clearly inspired by the Nazis, even if they made them the bad guys, there would be a prompt and well deserved backlash. The European conquest of the americas was at least as sociopathically brutal and genocidal as the third reich. We just learn a very sanitized version of it and it gets presented more equivocally in media (see: Pocahontas, El Dorado etc). I don’t think that WOTC was necessarily over the line in Ixalan, but they went up to it, and we should be cognizant of that.

I realize this post is going to provoke accusations of “godwinning” but if there is a comparable historical episode to the holocaust anywhere, it’s the conquistador era.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

*in a very "starting the worst thread tangent in a thread with some real bad tangents" voice.*

Nazis would be in Mardu.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I think everyone can agree that if WOTC did a “war plane” with a faction clearly inspired by the Nazis, even if they made them the bad guys, there would be a prompt and well deserved backlash.

I don’t want to derail the thread, but no, I don’t really see anything wrong with using Nazis as bad guys.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

whydirt posted:

What’s racist about vampire conquistadors?

in the year of our lord, two thousand and twenty, man claims ignorance of racist connotations inherent in the spanish conquest

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

whydirt posted:

Kaiju isn’t a very common trope, at least in the west. We get a Godzilla movie every 3-4 years and the 1 new one where all the robots are blue.

Conquistadors are inherently racist, because they are COLONIZERS. The implication is that they are “discovering” a new world the same way Columbus discovered indigenous peoples. It’s not like the vampires are showing up in hopes of trading spices and wine, they are showing up to loot and ransack the ancient and sacred treasures.

It’s like how in the first great designer contest, they 86’d someone’s idea for a “prison” themed plane because prison isn’t fun or entertaining, it’s like deeply triggering and awful for people, and so they would likely never set a game there. An entire plane about pirates and conquistadors fighting against jungle people really checks a lot of those same boxes for POC.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 13, 2020

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

fadam posted:

I don’t want to derail the thread, but no, I don’t really see anything wrong with using Nazis as bad guys.

If nothing else (and there are a lot of things else) imagine the problem of Hasbro sponsoring Nazi-inspired cosplayers.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Whoops

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 13, 2020

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bust Rodd posted:

Kaiju isn’t a very common trope, at least in the west. We get a Godzilla movie every 3-4 years and the 1 new one where all the robots are blue.

Conquistadors are inherently racist, because they are COLONIZERS. The implication is that they are “discovering” a new world the same way Columbus discovered indigenous peoples. It’s not like the vampires are showing up in hopes of trading spices and wine, they are showing up to loot and ransack the ancient and sacred treasures.

It’s like how in the first great designer contest, they 86’d someone’s idea for a “prison” themed plane because prison isn’t fun or entertaining, it’s like deeply triggering and awful for people, and so they would likely never set a game there. An entire plane about pirates and conquistadors fighting against savage jungle people really checks a lot of those same boxes for POC.

joke's on you, the mesoamerican themed plane was a prison

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

fadam posted:

they would design cards of the nazis, which means you get to play as the nazis. unless they didn't, in which case chuds would screech loud noises about not getting to play as the nazis

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I realize this post is going to provoke accusations of “godwinning” but if there is a comparable historical episode to the holocaust anywhere, it’s the conquistador era.
I'd probably go to the Mongols first - there were stories of them condoning industrialized slaughter and they murdered millions - though we've kinda whitewashed the Mongols by now.

Which is not to say the Spanish Empire isn't mind-blowingly awful. I agree with your point anyway, Ixalan just, ehhh. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Too Disneyified.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

I'd probably go to the Mongols first - there were stories of them condoning industrialized slaughter and they murdered millions - though we've kinda whitewashed the Mongols by now.

Which is not to say the Spanish Empire isn't mind-blowingly awful.

we can split hairs on this. My point is that there’s something fundamentally different between The Bolas Invasion killing six million ravnicans and a thinly reskinned Final Solution. I’m not squeamish but I think it’s rather tasteless to recreate real world atrocities for your wizard poker game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

fadam posted:

I skipped that standard so I must have missed the card with the flavour text that was like “Everything the Span... Vampire Conquistadors did was good.”

I don’t think WotC is endorsing anyone’s behavior, but if you really don’t think Latino players sitting down to play magic and seeing a bunch of white conquistadors in golden spanish armor invading and ransacking indigenous Latino-coded jungle dwellers doesn’t land a little funny than, uh, congratulations on your white skin I guess? Like just because they are clearly coded as the bad guys doesn’t make the content any less problematic.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

they would design cards of the nazis, which means you get to play as the nazis. unless they didn't, in which case chuds would screech loud noises about not getting to play as the nazis

Were DoD and CoD2 really that long ago?

Serious question, and I’m sorry if this has an obvious answer but I’m a dumb sheltered guy who hasn’t had to examine or reckon with anything like this: but why is it only nerd hobbies that seem to worry about this? Like, before it was even fledged out and a story was written for it there was a ton of hand wringing about the Prison Plane, but I don’t remember anyone complaining about Brawl In Cellblock 99. The idea of WotC making villains inspired by the nazis is bad, but nobody has issues with Marathon Man and Indiana Jones. On Twitter I see similar controversies pop up around comic books and YA stuff all the time. Is it purely a demographic thing, because the audience for MtG is supposed to be kids?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I never got that the Sun Empire was meant to be coded as "Savage." They got the new PW and she was pretty honorable and level headed, and they seemed like a pretty organized and benign polity. Maybe I was bringing my own desire to see them in a positive light compared to the Legion, but it's not like they had "Zigarraut of Heart Ripping: Sacrifice a 1/1 creature, create a Backwards Superstition token."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.mtgdiversity.org/ixalan-indigenous-eyes/

heres a cool blog post about this topic and how Ixalan avoided being offensive basically by being as respectful as possible, but the writer's gut instinct was basically what i said "OH NO THIS CAN"T END WELL"

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Owlbear Camus posted:

Maybe I was bringing my own desire to see them in a positive light compared to the Legion, but it's not like they had "Zigarraut of Heart Ripping: Sacrifice a 1/1 creature, create a Backwards Superstition token."

typical western colonizer attitude towards heart ripping and backwards superstitions :rolleyes:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

gently caress I'm agreeing with Dubs Trod posting

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.mtgdiversity.org/ixalan-indigenous-eyes/

heres a cool blog post about this topic and how Ixalan avoided being offensive basically by being as respectful as possible, but the writer's gut instinct was basically what i said "OH NO THIS CAN"T END WELL"

This is a good read, but isn’t the authors takeaway basically completely opposite from what you’re suggesting:

I should make it very clear I’m by no means calling for the head of anyone at Wizards. I’m largely still very pleased with what I’ve seen of Ixalan and I truly hope nothing happens to change that. I’m excited to see Huatli in action, hopefully as deserving of the narrative spotlight as she feels in my heart.

I just hope next time Magic attempts something like this (and I do want there to be a next time) they hire an appropriate consultant to provide them with context that they may not normally have. As well as ask the questions that need to be asked.

Basically: they did an alright job with Ixalan, not perfect, but pretty good, and they should try again and do better? Seems like a Wild West setting is the perfect opportunity for that.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ShaneB posted:

gently caress I'm agreeing with Dubs Trod posting

:same:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
In a hypothetical Wild West setting, would the cowboy/homesteader faction be portrayed as negatively as the conquistadors in Ixalan? Or would they be more heroic?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

wizzardstaff posted:

In a hypothetical Wild West setting, would the cowboy/homesteader faction be portrayed as negatively as the conquistadors in Ixalan? Or would they be more heroic?

IDK why but "make the 'settlers' Kithkin" popped into my head and it just feels right.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

wizzardstaff posted:

Who knows, probably whatever will offend the least amount of people and avoid the most offensive tropes. I’d assume they’d avoid factions/tribal stuff as much as possible because that seems like the easiest way to gently caress up.

I didn’t get very far in it but RDR2 was well received and managed to sell a buttload of copies without causing any controversy.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 13, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

fadam posted:

This is a good read, but isn’t the authors takeaway basically completely opposite from what you’re suggesting:
Basically: they did an alright job with Ixalan, not perfect, but pretty good, and they should try again and do better? Seems like a Wild West setting is the perfect opportunity for that.

Yeah if WotC literally hires people to make sure it's not ignorant and dumb, then I doubt it would have anything problematic. I don;t think it's crazy to suggest they might not have handled it well given their last novel, but hiring consultants goes a long way.

I also just think Cowboys are lame and would be bored stiff by a plane that was all about trains and heists and dynamite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Maybe they'll just make another dozen throwback sets stuffed full of eternal format staples. it seems easier honestly.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 13, 2020