Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Cool can we finally ban you when you turn out to be wrong like you always are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

James Baud posted:

It's also going to be very interesting to see what happens on the young radical side in the US when Sanders inevitably loses, whether in November or much sooner.

If this happens it will no doubt kill the majority of the momentum of the re-nascent leftist movement there, but luckily they do have outspoken elected officials like AOC, Tlaib and Omar to carry the torch. One thing is certain - ending Sanders’ chances through ratfuckery will engender a lasting hatred for the Democratic Party that they may regret for a generation.

Further to vyelkin’s point, the reason I’m incredibly invested in Sanders winning this time around is the potential for it to influence our politics at home by lessening the blinkered and stagnant look at politics we have (i.e. an increasing rightward perspective).

a primate has issued a correction as of 17:36 on Feb 13, 2020

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

If Bernie wins I would genuinely hope it encourages a serious leftist movement at home, but the pessimist in me sees a moment where it just causes the political boulders to just huff and go "Americans! We're sticking to Canadian Values(tm)" and stagnate forever into hell.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Actually it will just be a bunch of self congratulatory photo ops of justin and Bernie with justin using Bernie as a prop to show how progressive he is. And nothing at all will change.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

linoleum floors posted:

Actually it will just be a bunch of self congratulatory photo ops of justin and Bernie with justin using Bernie as a prop to show how progressive he is. And nothing at all will change.

I think we could see some meaningful change if Bernie was successful in passing some of his major reforms. So much of Canadian identity is tied up in being "America but slightly less bad" and if suddenly America got M4A including dental and pharmacare and passed a GND that started achieving full employment and rapidly decarbonizing and people's student loans got forgiven while Canadians still graduated with five figures of debt, I think that would seriously shake that part of Canadian national identity and force our elites to get on board so that we could keep pretending we were better than them

otoh if all that transformative stuff got stymied in the Senate then yeah I would expect nothing to change except Trudeau photo ops to show how progressive our woke PM is

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
the one good effect of a bernie presidency is that he would immediately tear up CUMSA and renegotiate NAFTA to include climate action and workers rights

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

im going to simplify a lot but i feel like the current leftist political movement in the states is largely the result of all the kids that lived through 9/11 and iraq watching their government gently caress everything up as much as possible for 20 years and now they are all active voters who can all come together on common goals

I think it was more 2008 and pretty much everyone who got into the job market around then got completely left behind.

I imagine what's most likely going to happen is that people will try to organize an insurgency within the NDP to push it further left again. Easier to try to re-appropriate a party's infrastructure that already exists than try to build something completely new -- even if the latter is the better option.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

it is, in fact, #actually better for things to be better than for things to be worse and have more people desperate for life to improve

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Its that time posted:

Quebec's political landscape is really different than the rest of Canada, there is a party representing pretty much anything on the political spectrum (except a left leaning federalist party, which is lol). But, we're going through a political cycle with pretty heavy right wing policies and parties having the upper hand on our national level.

Our media reflects that, some (like the infamous Quebec city's talking radio and JdM) parrot the usual right wing talking points, but then you can just read another paper. Radio-Canada is relatively ok and did not take the.. can I say blatant rightist editorial turn the CBC took? Sometimes I'm not even sure I'm reading CBC or the National Post.

At least, lots of leftist policies are very consensual. Things like public insurance for prescription drugs, nationalized electricity. financed daycare, etc. are integral part of society. Our local libs and current gov (CAQ but you can read it as conservatives, give or take) are constantly making efforts to erode advantages and they got their media to repeat ad nauseam.

Would require an effortpost to lay down what Quebec's politics is all about, but to sum it up: it's not quite the same. Plus, it's not very relevant on a national level.

I don't know, it seems to me mroe like we all have terrible Neo-liberal parties using the Separation question as a way to fake having actual differences.

I vote Quebec Solidaire but they don't look ready to win a government anytime soon, more's the pity.

Edit: It's also hard to overstate how incredibly corrupt our governments have been.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Ziv Zulander posted:

who’s Christie blatchford and why should I be glad she’s dead?
right wing, LGBTQphobic, ambulance chasing reporter/paid opinion-haver

https://twitter.com/BillyArmagh/status/1227654344482279424

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Feb 13, 2020

Its that time
Nov 8, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't know, it seems to me mroe like we all have terrible Neo-liberal parties using the Separation question as a way to fake having actual differences.

I vote Quebec Solidaire but they don't look ready to win a government anytime soon, more's the pity.

Edit: It's also hard to overstate how incredibly corrupt our governments have been.

Agreed. But the media here does not reek of neolib vomit the same way we see in America or the ROC, maybe because our media ecosystem is so much more smaller. And, on the other hand, we actually have an idea of how much our governments are corrupt and I'm not sure if the RoC and USA are just sleeping on it or not. They could both be clean and we're really the rotten apple, I really don't know. No doubt we were very much so under Charest.

And yeah, neolibs making GBS threads on us, but we're still better off as of now on some metrics. We could argue about how Quebec is a different society by the social policies we got and the opinions on them. Still, we got stuff the rest of North America doesn't.

Our local neolibs are working hard to destroy what we have and flush everything down the free market drain and do use every opportunities to test their agenda. Our gov is pushing that way hard, very hard right now.

I do vote QS too, pretty much the only real leftist choice that happens to be separatist too. PQ swings depending on the leader, can and did go both way, there's still some of the ''Barbus de l'UQAM'' that are pushing leftist narrative inside the party.
I seriously don't know what you can do if you're a left leaning federalist. Kinda like that, deep down, Canada is hard coded to be right leaning.

And, just to speak of now, the whole nationalist question (excluding separation, just nationality) has been a landmark of Quebec's public politics since the start of the 20th century and is used as a tool or mean to promote whatever agenda you can have. We're just in another chapter that reminds me of Duplessis. His biography was written was Conrad Black just to make this lol.

But yeah, we could wonder if the left in Quebec is dying or if everything is sightly more left leaning for real or whatever else. Nationalism tends to blur the lines. We will see next election... let's just hope our gov doesnt wreck everything like they're doing right now with education.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

We have a radical left

It's our native peoples and they're needing our help right now standing up to every neolib branch of our government stacking up against them

All day in the news I'm just reading all the "gosh it's shutting down the country that these uppity natives are blocking our one and only rail line. You have to understand we HAD to go bust heads" stories.

"Respect rule of law which only respects capital"

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Noblesse Obliged posted:

We have a radical left

It's our native peoples and they're needing our help right now standing up to every neolib branch of our government stacking up against them

All day in the news I'm just reading all the "gosh it's shutting down the country that these uppity natives are blocking our one and only rail line. You have to understand we HAD to go bust heads" stories.

"Respect rule of law which only respects capital"

It honestly loving rules that after all these years they finally found something that IMMEDIATELY has financial(and therefore important) results. They better not stop, it's the only thing keeping them in the news after the pipeline got rammed through. And it's a loving train track, it can get blocked anywhere, it is financially impossible to get the entire thing protected by cops

Shutting down the entire country's rail lines. Beautiful.

EDIT: cynic in me says they're gonna pass legislation that just says trains dont have to stop for poo poo anymore

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

bring back old gbs posted:

It honestly loving rules that after all these years they finally found something that IMMEDIATELY has financial(and therefore important) results. They better not stop, it's the only thing keeping them in the news after the pipeline got rammed through. And it's a loving train track, it can get blocked anywhere, it is financially impossible to get the entire thing protected by cops

Shutting down the entire country's rail lines. Beautiful.

EDIT: cynic in me says they're gonna pass legislation that just says trains dont have to stop for poo poo anymore

Storms liter trees all over train tracks all the time, watch a train derail itself to own the natives.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Thanks to strategic voter's last election the police will have to take a minute before beating the protesters to remind all of us that they are on the ancestral lands of the protesters

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Thanks to strategic voter's last election the police will have to take a minute before beating the protesters to remind all of us that they are on the ancestral lands of the protesters

in canada this is considered progress

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
A black MRAP with a punisher decal rolls up to a protest in rural Ontario. a huge sci-fi apparatus of speakers points menacingly at the crowd.

officer LaRiviere of the RCMP picks up the microphone within his ballistic cockpit and flips a bank of switches.

he clears his throat, causing a 220 decibel screech to blast through the crowd. two elders fall over and a child experiences bowel release. this level of volume causes physical pain to unshielded ears.

“PER C-69, WE ARE LEGALLY MANDATED TO DECLARE THAT YOUR NON-LICENSED PROTEST IS TAKING PLACE ON UNCEEDED ALGONQUIN TERRITORY. PLEASE DISPERSE WITHIN FIVE MINUTES OR WE WILL TURN THE VOLUME TO PURÉE.

EN ACCORDANCE AVEC LE LOI C-69...”

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
punisher logo with the campaign hat on it

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

THE MINISTER OF MIDDLE CLASS PROSPERITY HAS DEMANDED THAT ALL THOSE WORKING HARD TO JOIN THE MIDDLE CLASS SHALL IMMEDIATELY CEASE AND DESIST THEIR PROTESTS OR FACE THE PENALTY OF BEING BEATEN MERCILESSLY AT THE HANDS OF THE MINISTER OF DOOM

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

watching pmjts fauxwoke house of cards collapse is the only joy i have in life

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Its that time posted:

Agreed. But the media here does not reek of neolib vomit the same way we see in America or the ROC, maybe because our media ecosystem is so much more smaller. And, on the other hand, we actually have an idea of how much our governments are corrupt and I'm not sure if the RoC and USA are just sleeping on it or not. They could both be clean and we're really the rotten apple, I really don't know. No doubt we were very much so under Charest.

And yeah, neolibs making GBS threads on us, but we're still better off as of now on some metrics. We could argue about how Quebec is a different society by the social policies we got and the opinions on them. Still, we got stuff the rest of North America doesn't.

Our local neolibs are working hard to destroy what we have and flush everything down the free market drain and do use every opportunities to test their agenda. Our gov is pushing that way hard, very hard right now.

I do vote QS too, pretty much the only real leftist choice that happens to be separatist too. PQ swings depending on the leader, can and did go both way, there's still some of the ''Barbus de l'UQAM'' that are pushing leftist narrative inside the party.
I seriously don't know what you can do if you're a left leaning federalist. Kinda like that, deep down, Canada is hard coded to be right leaning.

And, just to speak of now, the whole nationalist question (excluding separation, just nationality) has been a landmark of Quebec's public politics since the start of the 20th century and is used as a tool or mean to promote whatever agenda you can have. We're just in another chapter that reminds me of Duplessis. His biography was written was Conrad Black just to make this lol.

But yeah, we could wonder if the left in Quebec is dying or if everything is sightly more left leaning for real or whatever else. Nationalism tends to blur the lines. We will see next election... let's just hope our gov doesnt wreck everything like they're doing right now with education.

Never read Anglophone Quebec Media, it might be the worse media I have ever seen.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Xpost from some other thread

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:homebrew:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:48 on Jun 20, 2021

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

how could they tell that Jordan Peterson has brain damage?

:hmmyes:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
poor jorp, thought of pronouns and got brain damaged

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

There's a Matt Gurney article that accuses Doug Ford of being badly cucked by the Tyendinega Mohawks on the National Post right now. Its racist and awful and fails to mention both the Ipperwash and Oka crises but gosh darn if it isn't refreshing to read someone on the right not blame Trudeau for a change....

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

priznat posted:

poor jorp, thought of pronouns and got brain damaged

The gay agenda claims another victim!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Another Bill posted:

There's a Matt Gurney article that accuses Doug Ford of being badly cucked by the Tyendinega Mohawks on the National Post right now. Its racist and awful and fails to mention both the Ipperwash and Oka crises but gosh darn if it isn't refreshing to read someone on the right not blame Trudeau for a change....

matt gurney sucks poo poo

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DariusLikewise posted:

matt gurney sucks poo poo

quote:

There’s been a lot of turnover of late in Ford’s office — including the departure of a competent director of communications. Government officials are also distracted by an increasingly disruptive labour stoppage by its teachers’ unions, and, apparently, over selfish concerns of being protested outside their hotel by angry educators at an upcoming policy conference. Perhaps that explains some of the silence and inaction.

But those possible explanations are wholly inadequate. A government that’s so distracted by an unrelated labour dispute or terror of an embarrassing disruption to its own wonk-shop that it can’t enforce the law and keep the national economy running is a government that is clearly in way over its head. As days of inaction drag on, with no explanation from Ford or any sense that there’s any broader plan that Ontario is adhering to, it’s all too familiar to Ontarians.

:laugh:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Ziv Zulander posted:

who’s Christie blatchford and why should I be glad she’s dead?

Reporter who broke her brain covering Bernardo and Homolka's trial

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

Reporter who broke her brain covering Bernardo and Homolka's trial

Also used to let Al Strachan crash on her couch

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Nine of Eight posted:

A black MRAP with a punisher decal rolls up to a protest in rural Ontario. a huge sci-fi apparatus of speakers points menacingly at the crowd.

officer LaRiviere of the RCMP picks up the microphone within his ballistic cockpit and flips a bank of switches.

he clears his throat, causing a 220 decibel screech to blast through the crowd. two elders fall over and a child experiences bowel release. this level of volume causes physical pain to unshielded ears.

“PER C-69, WE ARE LEGALLY MANDATED TO DECLARE THAT YOUR NON-LICENSED PROTEST IS TAKING PLACE ON UNCEEDED ALGONQUIN TERRITORY. PLEASE DISPERSE WITHIN FIVE MINUTES OR WE WILL TURN THE VOLUME TO PURÉE.

EN ACCORDANCE AVEC LE LOI C-69...”

hahaha

perfect

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Never read Anglophone Quebec Media, it might be the worse media I have ever seen.

:rip: Nick Auf der Maur though

I moved to Montreal just after the last referendum and spent my first few years in my francophone neighbourhood learning how to say "I have no idea who the gently caress this Howard Galganov guy is or what is is going on about, I just want to buy a few bottles of Maudite" in French.

OK I should probably stop my stream of consciousness thread replying now :justpost:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/BertaAdvantage/status/1228316631870259201?s=20

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Alberta Advantage slaps

https://twitter.com/CalgaryPolice/status/1228445420285808640

Calgary Police do not

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

One of these is for a guy who is in violation of his probation lol

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Goddamn I hate Mélanie Joly.

She's my representatives and she is pure liberal poo poo.

Its that time
Nov 8, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Goddamn I hate Mélanie Joly.

She's the worst. An example of empty, career oriented, opportunist politician. Hearing her talk for more than two seconds may create a brain aneurysm. And in that part of Montréal, they vote Lib no matter what. I suggest eating a poutine at the Brouehaha and drinking one down to make the pain go away.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I still feel shame about the ~one week period where I considered maybe strategically voting for Mélanie Joly in the 2013 mayoral election. Really glad I didn't!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.