Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I said come in! posted:

I mean it doesn't seem to do any better with helping your brush keep a point, or getting paint out, that soap or any other cleaning method won't do as well.

It conditions brushes that are real hair. Also after you rinse it, you should use a bit to shape the brush to a point.

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Hello all.
Are those pictures good enough to get some criticism please? And which scheme seems better to you?

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 13, 2020

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Iceclaw posted:

Hello all.
Are those pictures good enough to get some criticism please? And which scheme seems better to you?

I personally like the colors on the left the most - they have the most contrast.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Iceclaw posted:

Hello all.

Holy poo poo. I haven't seen these forever. Found the ones I had in the 90s, my first models ever and just recently started on them.

Best saurus, first saurus. Im doing them all as a massive batch of 40. About half done I reckon.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I like the bright blue scheme the most, but I have a distinct fondness for bright blues.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
/\
I'd go with the blue and orange scales. Seen it before and looks really cool.

Actually while we're on it recently finished painting up 30 of the knights. If they release a new knight model with the new book I might have a stroke.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 13, 2020

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Iceclaw posted:

Hello all.

I like the blue on the right the most, but you need a non-blue contrasting color on the scales.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I agree. If you threw an orange on those I think it would look really rad.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Harvey Mantaco posted:

/\
I'd go with the blue and orange scales. Seen it before and looks really cool.

Actually while we're on it recently finished painting up 30 of the knights. If they release a new knight model with the new book I might have a stroke.

These look really nice. I love the pale green metal bridle.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Better?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

That is much better looking, the contrast with the orange is more eye catching (without being jarring) and shows the different textures of the skin and... uh.. bony plate bits. I'm not a lizardologist.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Furism posted:

Wow, I just tried Vallejo's Yellow Ink for the first time and my god the coverage is nuts compared to the regular paint. Prime white, apply ink and you've got a perfect bright yellow in just one thin layer. Need to play with undershadowing now to make this look better, but it's seriously night and day.

Only disappointment is that found out about this just three models before finishing my 2000 points worth of Ironjawz army :smith:

Yep, that’s what I used for my imperial fists, 70% Vallejo yellow ink 30% lahmian medium over wraithbone. It gave me that angry bee strong yellow I’d been looking for, and it goes on incredibly smooth too. You can just lay it on like a contrast, except it doesn’t pool weirdly and make tide marks. No two layers necessary or anything or trying to fix yellow with more yellow layers and what not. I was really frustrated with Iyanden yellow because no matter how long I shook the bottle or how much contrast medium I mixed it with, it still came out super orange.

I use the citadel sepia wash 50/50 with water as a pin wash on the wraithbone, before the yellow, which is pretty subtle but the yellow ink is basically almost fully transparent, so the way it looks when you put it on, is the way it’ll keep looking after it’s yellow.

E: after seeing how amazing the yellow ink is, I’ve been considering getting more inks and see if they work as well.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Revelation 2-13 posted:

E: after seeing how amazing the yellow ink is, I’ve been considering getting more inks and see if they work as well.

The Daler Rowney FW Acrylic Inks are amazing and everyone should be using them, the white especially is the best white you will ever use, especially out of an airbrush.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Cinara posted:

The Daler Rowney FW Acrylic Inks are amazing and everyone should be using them, the white especially is the best white you will ever use, especially out of an airbrush.

Have you tried Liquitex inks? I've got a bunch of those and they're pretty good, but I'm wondering if I hosed up by not getting DR inks instead.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Have you tried Liquitex inks? I've got a bunch of those and they're pretty good, but I'm wondering if I hosed up by not getting DR inks instead.

I use both and I'm sure there's some sort of difference between the two but I'd be lying if I could tell you I've ever noticed one

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I did a lich, I rushed a little on a couple spots and didn't notice them until afterwards :(

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I did a lich, I rushed a little on a couple spots and didn't notice them until afterwards :(

What is this truly sweet model?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Verisimilidude posted:

No idea, my brother did it on his resin printer. I'll ask him when he gets home and hopefully he remembers!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SiKboy posted:

That is much better looking, the contrast with the orange is more eye catching (without being jarring) and shows the different textures of the skin and... uh.. bony plate bits. I'm not a lizardologist.

Scutes :eng101:

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Another set of warriors bringing me to a nice 9 strong blob:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What are the benefits of inks? Are they used as washes?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Verisimilidude posted:

Ah, it’s this lad

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-necromancer-99006

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I haven't used inks myself but I"ve been thinking about getting some. It looks like they're kinda like washes but can also be used kinda like contrast paints?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

inks are better than paints for laying down saturation while preserving the light/darkness of what was underneath. so they work super well in tandem with zenithal priming

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

No, don't use inks like washes. Or contrast paints. They're good for making washes, but they're way too strong to just slop on like that.

Basically they're very strongly pigmented while being translucent and flowing really well. You can mix them into regular paints as a way of thinning them while maintaining (or increasing) their saturation. This is especially good for paints you need to flow well, like edge highlights or freehand lines. They make good glazes and filters on their own when thinned down. And like jesus WEP mentioned they work really well over a zenithal prime or sketch to maintain your darks and lights while adding color.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FninJVxExlY

really unlocked the potential of inks for me. He's got some other videos worth checking out. I think Vince Ventrulla has a few ink videos too.

You can use them to tint metallics super easily either by mixing or going over with a translucent layer.

They can be tinned with acrylic thinners/water.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Speaking of painting yellow and how to paint with inks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmnPkiiswPk

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

I was taking a guess that you were linking to Goobertown Hobbies, this guy is cool and nuts (this video is really good too), he really loves his 24 hour painting sessions. I wish he would let his cat paint some miniatures though.

Portus
Sep 11, 2013

Indolent Bastard posted:

Was using inks to make washes, but thanks to this video gonna have to start to use them on the airbrush.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Did some more practice on my dwarf cleric of Pholtus. I like how his clothing came out, am medium on the magic, and have no idea how to make his face look good. Any ideas?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Did some more practice on my dwarf cleric of Pholtus. I like how his clothing came out, am medium on the magic, and have no idea how to make his face look good. Any ideas?

How many coats are you using? It looks to me like your paint has been thinned pretty well in most cases, but there are places that could use more coats (tip of the weapon, for example).

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I made some deer elves (delves?)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Paragon8 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FninJVxExlY

really unlocked the potential of inks for me. He's got some other videos worth checking out. I think Vince Ventrulla has a few ink videos too.

You can use them to tint metallics super easily either by mixing or going over with a translucent layer.

They can be tinned with acrylic thinners/water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgJqjIMd6k8

His vid on painting true metallics is really good.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgJqjIMd6k8

His vid on painting true metallics is really good.

Yeah! he's just a fun vibe all around. There's a lot of great content on youtube.

Darren Latham has some great vids but it seems like GW cracked down on him making them.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Having someone with a resin printer is good:

[work in progress]

Moongrave fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 15, 2020

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Paragon8 posted:

Yeah! he's just a fun vibe all around. There's a lot of great content on youtube.

Darren Latham has some great vids but it seems like GW cracked down on him making them.

What makes you say that GW is cracking down on him? He seems to be powering ahead with his videos

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

What makes you say that GW is cracking down on him? He seems to be powering ahead with his videos

He says that after his Lord of Blights masterclass there will be no more videos. He could very well be moving to the main GW channel or maybe he's not enjoying making the video content and wants to taper down although he seems pretty enthusiastic. He said something about explaining further so it looks like he's finishing the masterclass at least.

With using W&N brushes and a wet palette he's gone pretty off brand so I can easily see GW not being thrilled with his content but too cautious of the backlash to just suddenly force him to stop.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Very excited to be done painting tanks for a bit, completed my second Plagueburst Crawler for a fully painted 2K list:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

TotalHell posted:

How many coats are you using? It looks to me like your paint has been thinned pretty well in most cases, but there are places that could use more coats (tip of the weapon, for example).

Yeah the weapon is a translucent piece, so I haven't gone over it a bunch since the idea was that it would shine through a bit, but I might just go over it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

PierreTheMime posted:

Very excited to be done painting tanks for a bit, completed my second Plagueburst Crawler for a fully painted 2K list:

I really like the dripage from the barrel and running down the front. Is that part of the model, or did you do that with green stuff or effect paint?