Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Venuz Patrol posted:

for some reason "Astos? More like yo rear end is toast!" has stuck in my brain for the past fifteen years

It was his comic in response to how they could fix the dude who got turned to stone. Just blood, blood everywhere. Way too much blood.

And I think 8BT having a guest host is about when I started reading OoTS too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Jesus christ.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Venuz Patrol posted:

for some reason "Astos? More like yo rear end is toast!" has stuck in my brain for the past fifteen years

I still think of the time Black Mage tried to copy the "make you cough up your organs spell" with blue magic and it turned out it was a "make Black Mage specifically cough up his organs" spell.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think the current comic when I started was "the semi secret origin of elan and nale" or the one where haley shoots nale and breaks the amulet.

I was like, 8.

Dias posted:

Maybe she got an SMS from Dad teaching her how to pester Roy via the family sword or something, or she figured it out herself.

Spiritual Messaging Sword?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 14, 2020

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Venuz Patrol posted:

"Four White Mages? It'll never work!"

To this day

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I started reading when the 8BT link happened, I remember that much, but I fell off for a bit and ended up rereading it later.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Robviously posted:

"Four White Mages? It'll never work!"

To this day

could someone explain that for me? I remember the reference from somewhere as a very, very long callback but never read the comic.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

sebmojo posted:

could someone explain that for me? I remember the reference from somewhere as a very, very long callback but never read the comic.

In FF1 you could pick any combination of classes you wanted for your party, and four white mages was the hardest way to try to beat the game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

And then the end of 8 Bit Theater had four white mages defeating the final boss.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

sebmojo posted:

An early joke in 8-bit Theater was Black Mage reading the special Nintendo Power issue of Final Fantasy 1 which was basically a strategy guide. One thing it suggested was an all White Mage challenge for beating the game. Black Mage said it would never work.

Then, years later, near the end of the comic when Chaos was about to murder the "heroes" White Mage and her previously never shown allies Priest, Shaman, and Healer, nuked Chaos off screen.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It wound up being the climactic anticlimax, basically. :v:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't remember when I started reading Order of the Stick, but it was after V had Familycide'd the dragons, since I remember coming across that bit on TV Tropes back when I used to read TV Tropes. I think I started during the Empire of Blood.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I started reading both OotS and 8BT in 2004.

I know because at the time I was in high school and thought 8BT was by far the better comic - and upon reflection, at the time, it was (2004 is around the end of the first dungeon). I liked 8BT so much I immediately did what a lot of mega-nerds used to do about stuff they like: I turned it into a MTG set, which conveniently preserved the creation date:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The first 2/3 or so of 8BT is about as good as webcomics have ever been. It just went off the rails a bit around the time the part started looking for the air orb and never really recovered.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I *think* I started reading sometime during Sapphire City arc. I think I hit the end of available strips ~800. But this seems to be during Nale & Elan's dad issues arc which feels wrong to me, I feel like it was earlier then that.

I don't remember what got me into it, probably around the same time as 8BT.

Shame the 8BT Chaos youtube thing never really got far, I liked having a voiced version.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Dr Pepper posted:

An early joke in 8-bit Theater was Black Mage reading the special Nintendo Power issue of Final Fantasy 1 which was basically a strategy guide. One thing it suggested was an all White Mage challenge for beating the game. Black Mage said it would never work.

Then, years later, near the end of the comic when Chaos was about to murder the "heroes" White Mage and her previously never shown allies Priest, Shaman, and Healer, nuked Chaos off screen.

Early game you have a lot of healing to help you limp through long and painful fights. By endgame, you have a plurality of powerful weapons and armors that can be equipped by white wizards and the last dungeon is a curb stomp.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ultrafilter posted:

The first 2/3 or so of 8BT is about as good as webcomics have ever been. It just went off the rails a bit around the time the part started looking for the air orb and never really recovered.

I never finished reading 8BT, as I found where Brian had defended Tim Buckely, and I noped right on outta there.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 14, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Johnny Aztec posted:

I never finished reading 8BT, as I found where Brian had defended Time Buckely, and I noped right on outta there.

Huh, never knew that

I do know that Atomic Robo is a great comic and Hyperactive seemed like a chill dude from all my interactions with him on these forums

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mystic Mongol posted:

Early game you have a lot of healing to help you limp through long and painful fights. By endgame, you have a plurality of powerful weapons and armors that can be equipped by white wizards and the last dungeon is a curb stomp.

Yes but the joke is that Black Mage was wrong about it not working. :v:

(Also casting Blink until your entire party is unhittable)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Johnny Aztec posted:

I never finished reading 8BT, as I found where Brian had defended Tim Buckely, and I noped right on outta there.

If that's the comic I think it is, where he's like, "Making a good comic isn't about well written stories, characters, or good art or funny jokes, it's about making GBS threads on CTRL-ALT-DEL", he's absolutely right that for a lot of the "discourse" around that time echoes modern day youtuber clout chasing through picking fights and extreme negativity to the exclusion of all nuance or legitimate criticism.

No one especially in 2020 should really be giving a poo poo about CAD about anything; at worst the Gamers Are Good Actually is kinda cringe inducing because of gamergate swinging into prominence shortly towards the end of CAD's story run and that's the only thing worth remarking upon and more as a "this happened at this time during webcomic history insofar as gaming and webcomics overlapped".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The days when Tim Buckley was the worst person in webcomics. A more innocent time.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah, there is much worse out there than "This guy makes a bad webcomic", and the even the CAD Mock thread took a creepy turn and needed to be mercy killed.

That said, Loss is Forever

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 14, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

8-Bit Theater was good and Atomic Robo is also good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PMush Perfect posted:

The days when Tim Buckley was the worst person in webcomics. A more innocent time.

Sadly, that has never been the case.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Schwarzwald posted:

Sadly, that has never been the case.
Let me rephrase. The worst pariah of mainstream webcomics.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Raenir Salazar posted:

No one especially in 2020 should really be giving a poo poo about CAD about anything; at worst the Gamers Are Good Actually is kinda cringe inducing because of gamergate swinging into prominence shortly towards the end of CAD's story run and that's the only thing worth remarking upon and more as a "this happened at this time during webcomic history insofar as gaming and webcomics overlapped".

So, you're saying that if a thing happened X years in the past, then people should just get over it and forget about it?

And no, it was a post about how Buckely was his friend,and defending him against a rape allegation.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Venuz Patrol posted:

I will never be able to explain why that is just as funny to me in 2020 as it is in 2004.

Also I think to my eternal shame that it was TV Tropes that led me to OotS as well, but it also led me to Narbonic and honestly that’s TVT batting 1.000 on webcomic recs for me

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, you're saying that if a thing happened X years in the past, then people should just get over it and forget about it?

And no, it was a post about how Buckely was his friend,and defending him against a rape allegation.

I'm not and you seem to know I'm not so anyways.

Soup du Jour posted:

I will never be able to explain why that is just as funny to me in 2020 as it is in 2004.

Also I think to my eternal shame that it was TV Tropes that led me to OotS as well, but it also led me to Narbonic and honestly that’s TVT batting 1.000 on webcomic recs for me

Nah tv tropes is great to actually find other shows you like based off of things you liked about the show you like!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
OOTS in its original form could have been named RPG Tropes.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Soup du Jour posted:

TV Tropes helped me find some movies, games, etc. that I otherwise probably wouldn't have chanced upon otherwise, ain't no reason to take shame in that.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I also got into OOTS through TV Tropes and I've honestly never understood the vendetta this site seems to have against it.

It's just a wiki basically, sometimes can get a bit obsessive in categorizing things maybe but overall it's just a nice informative site?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

TV Tropes is weird and can get you missing the forest for the trees on a lot of media, but it can be an interesting step on your way to learning critical thinking about the media you consume. Most of the worst parts about TV Tropes were the weird sections where Tropers posted about their lives, which got really weird very fast.

It's probably not good to get in the habit of consuming secondary media instead of the actual media that it's talking about, but then I also have the habit of reading wikis and watching video essays, so it's too late for me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

THIS TROPER WENT INTO BEAST MODE

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

They also had a ton of really grossly-titled articles years ago, though they’ve apparently reined that in HARD. I still browse it, but I also keep way the gently caress away from any troper discussions.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

SlothfulCobra posted:

TV Tropes is weird and can get you missing the forest for the trees on a lot of media, but it can be an interesting step on your way to learning critical thinking about the media you consume. Most of the worst parts about TV Tropes were the weird sections where Tropers posted about their lives, which got really weird very fast.

It's probably not good to get in the habit of consuming secondary media instead of the actual media that it's talking about, but then I also have the habit of reading wikis and watching video essays, so it's too late for me.

On the one hand it is an interesting resource if you want to look into themes and similarities. On the other it has contributed to the insufferable idea that the characters in the story that make wrong or suboptimal choices are somehow dumb for not being genre savy.

Also I never want to hear the term "Xanatos Gambit" or any of its legion offshoots ever again.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

NihilCredo posted:

I know because at the time I was in high school and thought 8BT was by far the better comic - and upon reflection, at the time, it was (2004 is around the end of the first dungeon). I liked 8BT so much I immediately did what a lot of mega-nerds used to do about stuff they like: I turned it into a MTG set, which conveniently preserved the creation date:

I got bored a year or so ago and poo poo out a bunch of OOTS cards. Pretty much ignored by the doofi on Reddit's custommagic.

https://imgur.com/a/bTA7EAF

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

blizzardvizard posted:

I also got into OOTS through TV Tropes and I've honestly never understood the vendetta this site seems to have against it.

It's just a wiki basically, sometimes can get a bit obsessive in categorizing things maybe but overall it's just a nice informative site?

A small part of it was just mocking said obsessiveness and what they chose to focus on, such as having many more articles about comparative breast size in anime than about any literature older than the Star Wars expanded universe.

They used to have a section for every trope of examples from real life, which was mostly examples of people fantasizing about owning their bullies with embarrassing zingers, and being roundly mocked across the internet for having this section led to it being cut back and entirely removed.

It also had exactly the kind of toxic forum you get with this userbase, where ostracism is the only crime. Complaining that someone was harassing or creeping you out would get you punished, while posting nazi poo poo, fetishizing rape, or being an open and proud pedophile talking about the kids you would bang was cool and nuanced.

I’ve no idea what the forums look like today, but that last bit in particular is with what goons took issue, and I can’t fault anyone for that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really don't remember the story behind this: :tvtropes:

I know the deal with the :spergin: and the lampshade, but there was something specific on the old mockthread.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They really liked rape. As a narrative device, you understand. They were a lot of posts calling for more stories with heroic rapists, like the infamous Dominic Deegan strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yikes alright. I've never gone beyond browsing the entry pages so I have no idea about any of this