Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

fadam posted:

Were DoD and CoD2 really that long ago?

Serious question, and I’m sorry if this has an obvious answer but I’m a dumb sheltered guy who hasn’t had to examine or reckon with anything like this: but why is it only nerd hobbies that seem to worry about this? Like, before it was even fledged out and a story was written for it there was a ton of hand wringing about the Prison Plane, but I don’t remember anyone complaining about Brawl In Cellblock 99. The idea of WotC making villains inspired by the nazis is bad, but nobody has issues with Marathon Man and Indiana Jones. On Twitter I see similar controversies pop up around comic books and YA stuff all the time. Is it purely a demographic thing, because the audience for MtG is supposed to be kids?

idk if it's more that the primary audience is for kids, rather that the products of the mediums lack the ability to tackle these issues with the appropriate amount of gravitas. see how often the excuse of "I just want to play games/read about cool superheroes/make robots smash into each other" comes up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

No Wave posted:

Maybe they'll just make another dozen throwback sets stuffed full of eternal format staples. it seems easier.
That's the design file for the cool sounding $7 a pack sets, the normie sets have to debate "which boring real world influence should we muck around with next"

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

fadam posted:

I love westerns, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a fantastical/sci-fi take on the genre other than Bone Tomahawk that I didn’t think was corny as hell.

There's a game on Switch called Hard West that I Impulse bought for $1 that does a pretty good job. It's basically a Western Xcom that, without getting into spoilers, starts out as a normal western and gets a more into the occult side as you play.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

suicidesteve posted:

There's a game on Switch called Hard West that I Impulse bought for $1 that does a pretty good job. It's basically a Western Xcom that, without getting into spoilers, starts out as a normal western and gets a more into the occult side as you play.

just fyi, it's originally a pc game

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I frankly don't think it's possible to portray American westward expansion in a positive non-problematic way if you're already trivializing it to the degree of using it as a theme in your children's card game, and the same is true of the Spanish conquest

I'm not gonna, like, write a Letter to the Editor about it but if I were making those decisions I wouldn't touch that poo poo at all

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

I’ll check it out! I love westerns and I love Xcom,

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I also just think Cowboys are lame and would be bored stiff by a plane that was all about trains and heists and dynamite

A plane all about trains and dynamite sounds amazing to me, as long as it has nothing at all to do with the Wild West

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

sit on my Facebook posted:

I frankly don't think it's possible to portray American westward expansion in a positive non-problematic way if you're already trivializing it to the degree of using it as a theme in your children's card game, and the same is true of the Spanish conquest

I'm not gonna, like, write a Letter to the Editor about it but if I were making those decisions I wouldn't touch that poo poo at all

Do you think it’s possible to take all the cool stuff like shootouts, tavern brawls, train robberies, swearing, and make a setting that focuses on them and completely ignores the “western expansion” part? More Rio Bravo than The Searchers.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The best westerns were all about plucky individuals fighting the evils of white men who felt they were above the law.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

For Gareth Micheal Skarka's epic kickstarter vaporware failure (going on a decade of promises that the Manuscript is Almost Done And It Will Be Out Soon) Far West, he flat out shrugged and said "this setting doesn't have an American Indian analogue."

I can't say if that's a defter way of handling it than having them in there and risking doing it clumsily... but it's certainly... an approach.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rinkles posted:

just fyi, it's originally a pc game

I figured but I didn't care enough to look it up. Last time I looked a game up while I was playing it, I learned that Andrew Ryan and Atlas were voiced by the same person!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

For Gareth Micheal Skarka's epic kickstarter vaporware failure (going on a decade of promises that the Manuscript is Almost Done And It Will Be Out Soon) Far West, he flat out shrugged and said "this setting doesn't have an American Indian analogue."

I can't say if that's a defter way of handling it than having them in there and risking doing it clumsily... but it's certainly... an approach.

I think it is, but it also can’t quite articulate why this approach feels way more reasonable to me than when that BioWare guy defended the lack of Gay people in Star Wars by saying they just don’t exist in universe.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It makes me sad a lot of people won't get that joke, suicidesteve, given how good that one was

Owlbear Camus posted:

Why would people even still follow that thing? What does that guy even do?

Wasn't that whole thing kinda racist looking to begin with? I can't remember but it's been years since I remember reading people mock that one.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Spiderdrake posted:

Why would people even still follow that thing? What does that guy even do?

I realize this was rhetorical but some people are mad companies like Morphideus and FFG are still giving him writing gigs, sometimes under a pseudonym or leaving him off the credits entirely to avoid the backlash, while he basically ran off with 2.5 racist hot dog men worth of kickstarter money and breadcrumbs the grift with "oh man it's all typed up and in layout, any day now" or "i gotta rework some chapters but guys I am going through some HEAVY but nonspecific personal issues" every 6-12 months.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 14, 2020

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

fadam posted:

Do you think it’s possible to take all the cool stuff like shootouts, tavern brawls, train robberies, swearing, and make a setting that focuses on them and completely ignores the “western expansion” part? More Rio Bravo than The Searchers.

I could see them going in that direction if they ever do a full set based on Vryn, Jace's home plane. You've got a core nation of civilized elites and a bunch of outlying territory full of malcontent rebels, but rather than expansionist frontier outposts it's more like remnants of a crumbling ancient empire. Whatever the "mage ring network" is seems like something they could turn into an opportunity for heists. (Which I guess is space they also explored with the aether distribution hubs in Kaladesh.)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

drat I definitely thought a Vryn was a guy who Jace was a prodigy of lol.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Owlbear Camus posted:

2.5 racist hot dog men worth of kickstarter money

we're measuring money in terms of Hulk Hogans?

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Spiderdrake posted:

The Eldrazi were so loving oversaturated and the idea of doing them, or even just Zendikar again, when your last reference to New Phyrexia is an email from Eslpeth to Koth that just has multiple praetors dying as a footnote is astounding.

There was a reference to them in the "story" of Theros. Ashiok learns about them while he's loving with Elspeth and planeswalks away to find them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Gimme a Heist Film Plane

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Owlbear Camus posted:

I realize this was rhetorical but some people are mad companies like Morphideus and FFG are still giving him writing gigs, sometimes under a pseudonym or leaving him off the credits entirely to avoid the backlash, while he basically ran off with 2.5 racist hot dog men worth of kickstarter money and breadcrumbs the grift with "oh man it's all typed up and in layout, any day now" or "i gotta rework some chapters but guys I am going through some HEAVY but nonspecific personal issues" every 6-12 months.
Yeah he's like the precursor to Every Patreon Excuse ever, only through the lens of a product I just can't understand why people care about after a decade.

I remember people posting his traced art and excerpts, it wasn't very good. Like I understand people are angry he stole money from them, but it seems like you'd just ... Stop being interested.

Tulul posted:

There was a reference to them in the "story" of Theros. Ashiok learns about them while he's loving with Elspeth and planeswalks away to find them.
Yeah you're right, there's a negator on nightmare and a weird fleshy goop version of one on Triumphant Surge.

You'll forgive me for forgetting Theros' story.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

fadam posted:

I think it is, but it also can’t quite articulate why this approach feels way more reasonable to me than when that BioWare guy defended the lack of Gay people in Star Wars by saying they just don’t exist in universe.

terra nullius is a lot more appealing than something that is directly contradicted by observed reality (even if terra nullius can also be easily contradicted by observed reality)

magic's approach is basically 'race doesn't exist' (and to a lesser extent 'gender doesn't exist') which has all the upsides of that approach but without the downside of not having nonwhite characters at all

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Jabor posted:

The best westerns were all about plucky individuals fighting the evils of white men who felt they were above the law.

The best ones are, but the genre has a ton of gross "heroic white frontiersman fights the Savage horde of red injuns" stories and the inherent issues of colonialism and manifest destiny are hard to get away from when it's a defining part of the setting.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Owlbear Camus posted:

Was that the same game that had the not-native-american-universe where people were X% less likely of being actual sapient people than a proper civilized universe? Or am I confusing terrible racist tradgames again?

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

fadam posted:

drat I definitely thought a Vryn was a guy who Jace was a prodigy of lol.

:same:

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

TheKingofSprings posted:

Gimme a Heist Film Plane
This. This is the real answer.

Also, for the record, the role of American Indians in the Western genre is 1) 100% necessary and 2) 100% racist. It's not really possible to portray what they're supposed to represent in a way that isn't deeply offensive.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
worlds chat: strasky and pvddr are all in on the 'lose to agonising remorse' game plan of having a single dream trawler and a bunch of card draw to find it, while thoralf is on the 'lose to embercleave' game plan of running 4 dream trawler

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve been absolutely curbstomping U/W with my Simic Ramp deck all day, Dream Trawler does nothing to me in that matchup.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Was that the same game that had the not-native-american-universe where people were X% less likely of being actual sapient people than a proper civilized universe? Or am I confusing terrible racist tradgames again?

No, that's the Strange, Bruce Cordell's game for Monte Cook Games that's like but not the same as Numenera.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

fadam posted:

I didn’t get very far in it but RDR2 was well received and managed to sell a buttload of copies without causing any controversy.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Annoying Feminist Fed To Alligator

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Eej posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Annoying Feminist Fed To Alligator
It’s not the game’s fault that alt-right shitheads are allowed to play it. If I load a million copies of The Hate U Give into a catapult and launch them at a woman’s shelter that doesn’t make the book misogynist.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bust Rodd posted:

curbstomping

No.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm so sorry you had to hear that. Are you ok? PM me if you need someone to talk to.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Gimme cowboy goblins, pinkerton elves and reprint Untethered Express but also bring back Horsemanship

Thank you I love you

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/HueyJensen/status/1228393072167243776

if you want some good commentary for Worlds.

edit, also lol.

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1228338288739614720

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Silhouette posted:

Gimme cowboy goblins, pinkerton elves and reprint Untethered Express but also bring back Horsemanship

Thank you I love you

OK gently caress my original position I am completely on board now

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1228399045460340737

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They're foils, so enjoy your expensive potato chips.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I haven't opened my Secret Lair: Cats yet; I've been debating whether or not I want to bling out my Cat EDH deck with foils and promos. But an LGS owner I know tried to sell me a bunch of the singles. When he handed them to me and I saw how curved they were, I decided I'm just going to get these cards framed (maybe with a Regal Caracal playmat from Andrea Radeck) and leave it at that.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Star Man posted:

They're foils, so enjoy your expensive potato chips.

if you get all of them they make a perfect circle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
They are milking the EDH crowd really hard right now.