Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

The Flying Twybil posted:

I figured she was painting flowers, I was baffled as to what the stance is specifically. Should've been more clear on that I guess.

...How are you actually painting with that many brushes in each hand? Is she doing it with the one supposedly in her mouth? It's got me at a loss, but I'll just chalk it down as hijinks.
Because all these characters are so shallow they have one trope on each of their TV tropes page. Moody Artiste Prodigy. Also worse is its the same brush, not different size brushes. I ain't a painter but I know that you need more than one type of brush if you want certain features. But again, the writers were just writing characters that hit one note to their trope.

Also while we all shred this game with a fine toothed cheese grater, I appreciate you playing this game and making it fun. This thread made me appreciate VC and want to get the other games. I have VC1 and will play that through. I like the art posted earlier, learning more background behind the game. While this one is a bad game, it still makes me appreciate the series more knowing that the good things introduced are kept while everything else gets better in the sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

You're not showing the front cover of the VC2 artbook? Let me just look at my copy...

:yikes:

You know what? I completely support your decision.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

DelilahFlowers posted:

Because all these characters are so shallow they have one trope on each of their TV tropes page. Moody Artiste Prodigy. Also worse is its the same brush, not different size brushes. I ain't a painter but I know that you need more than one type of brush if you want certain features. But again, the writers were just writing characters that hit one note to their trope.

Also while we all shred this game with a fine toothed cheese grater, I appreciate you playing this game and making it fun. This thread made me appreciate VC and want to get the other games. I have VC1 and will play that through. I like the art posted earlier, learning more background behind the game. While this one is a bad game, it still makes me appreciate the series more knowing that the good things introduced are kept while everything else gets better in the sequels.

I mean, the TV Tropes page for this game's probably filled with praise for it, right? It's usually an opinion battleground from what I've seen of it.

The character writing for this game feels like it went for the same cash-in strategy that FE: Fates did, long before that catastrophe ever got made. Build a bunch of characters on quick cliches to fill out a character roster, and put more into quantity than quality. The final result always being a collection of bad characters, a giant pile of mediocre ones, and barely a handful that came out well. They were likely handed a number of characters to write with some vague suggestions and put to it.

If somebody's having fun with this, then I suppose I'm happy to be doing my job. All I have left for this game is pure apathy, so really all I can do is have fun by making it fun for the readers. The summaries and participating in conversations about it is all that keeps me afloat regarding it, really.

I won't lie, VC is a nifty series when it's not this bad. I remember the first game being alright enough when I played it years ago, though scout dominance was really unbalancing. For its time, it was a pretty unique game, and the watercolor art engine made it really stand out in comparison to everything else. I likely won't be checking out the other games, as I've said already, but go ahead. VC3's supposed to be good, VC4 was apparently a good revival of the series. This game's left me with a very bitter taste, and I know it'll be a long time before I can forget about it.

BlazeEmblem posted:

You're not showing the front cover of the VC2 artbook? Let me just look at my copy...

I've seen enough Avan to last a lifetime, but I'm assuming by this reaction that murder kid is on the front as well?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
you know what's ironic is that Avan, Zeri, Cosette, Juliana and even Leon appeared in VC3 and they were more meaningful characters there. i guess that just happens when the game picks a narrative tone and stays with it.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

BlazeEmblem posted:

I've seen enough Avan to last a lifetime, but I'm assuming by this reaction that murder kid is on the front as well?

I mean, I avoided mentioning it but yeah, murder kid is there. She's also rocking the summer attire, which the thread will be exposed to at some, point I'd imagine. Another reason to show the back cover instead.

The gigantic sword and the very unusual hairstyles is what I was referring to by anime levels. I suppose that means there's even more gigantic swords then. It's...interesting to hear that they have an old lady on the team, though I suppose VC1 also had the old guy as well.

Not just an "old guy" character, an "old guy" character that ran a brothel. Grandma was a pimp.

That’s the thing about VC3's cast. It's a penal squad, so everyone is a criminal (well, almost everyone. Some are there by accident or quirk of fate).

Lunethex posted:

you know what's ironic is that Avan, Zeri, Cosette, Juliana and even Leon appeared in VC3 and they were more meaningful characters there. i guess that just happens when the game picks a narrative tone and stays with it.

That's the sad thing. Those characters were depicted better in cameos in a game outside of their own.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 26: The Indigenous Hunting Culture of Pseudo Poland

Today we're doing Vicky Baytear's story. I... well the title explains all you really need to know.

If you read through this and don't understand, then don't worry. You're not really missing out on anything. That goes for the whole LP really: you're not missing out.

---

~ Mess Hall - Vicky's 1st Event ~

Music: Everyday Life of the Class

: I'm so hungry, I came here looking for a handout. What about you?

*Stomach growling*

: Heh heh... same here.

: Hah! Perfect. Let's see if they'll take pity and feed us.

*Crashing noises*

*More crashing noises*

: What are you talking about?! Jarde isn't food!

: You're from the Dieden area, right, Vicky?
: Yeah, from the Jamka tribe!
: What's the Jamka tribe?
: They're an indigenous minority of hunters in western Gallia.
: I read that they preserved their traditional culture and way of living.
: I figure that explains why she views the world a little differently.

: That bird, Vicky caught it, so Vicky's gonna eat it!
: Jarde's my friend, man. You can eat him.
: Friends don't matter. The weak get eaten by the strong. Law of nature.
: Law of nature?! So what, if your friends back home were in danger, you'd--

: I don't need friends. Vicky can fight all alone just fine!
: The people here at school are strange. It's too much work to make friends!

Twybil's Summary posted:

: I'm hungry, so let's beg for food!

*Jarde flies by*

: Get back here, food!

*Flies by again*

: Hey, stop!

*They crash into each other*

: You can't eat my bird, man!
: Vicky will eat bird!
: No!
: Hey, you're from the tribal region that will never be heard of again, right?
: Yes! Now I eat bird!
: No, he's my friend!
: Friendship is for losers! You're all losers!

*Runs*

: She'll get used to us eventually.

---

I'm pretty sure Dieden's never referenced again in the series, but someone can correct me on that if they want.

Yes, we now have a 15 year old tribal stereotype in our army. That's really all I can say.

---

~ Classroom - Vicky's 2nd Event ~

: She makes no effort to help injured people. She just ignores them.
: Wait, isn't she an engineer?
: That's the problem. She says she doesn't want to do it.
: What's her deal? Hmm, I guess it'd be easiest to ask her directly.

: I just have a question. Why don't you help folks who are injured, Vicky?
: Engineers are there to heal and support their friends in the field.

: Weak people get killed. If you try to save them, you'll get killed, too.
: If you don't wnat to get killed, you kill before you get killed.
: Vicky's been doing that her whole life!
: This place is a little different than where you came from, Vicky.
: It's a school, not the wild, and your friends are counting on you.

: Vicky hates engineering... I don't want to do it.
: I want to shocktrooper! Attacking is best!

I mean, mechanically she has the right idea. Engineers aren't usually that useful in this game- just send more shocktroopers.

: Engineers don't help! Even if I save someone, nothing good will happen!
: You know, Vicky, engineers can do some things that no other unit classes can.
: They're the only ones who can help their squad stay safe in the field.
: If they went away, we'd all be in terrible danger!
: Vicky doesn't mind danger. Either way, I don't care!
You're all weak! You have weak hearts! There's no point in talking! Go now!

: Vicky's strong! Not like you weak people!

*Bails on them*

: That didn't go quite as I'd hoped.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Hey, Avan, do you know what's up with the tribal kid? She won't heal anybody.
: No, but I'll go talk to her because plot says so.

---

: Hey, come down from that tree, I want to talk.
: You interrupt my nap!
: Listen, kid, why aren't you healing people like an engineer is supposed to do?
: They're weak and they'll just die later anyways. I'm hardcore!
: This is a school, not the wild. Things are different here.
: I don't wanna be an engineer! Let me be a useful unit that gets things done!
: But engineers are useful! They help people and it's dangerous out there without them!
: I like it dangerous! Besides, you cowards are weak! Begone! I attack by pocket sand!
: Oh god not the pocket sand
: You all suck!

: That could've gone better.

-----

Her story has nothing to do with any past losses, trauma, or anything. She just hates helping people in general so that the writers can make a really basic moral message about helping others.

I mean, what do you want? Yes, I know it's a moral in like half the children's books ever made, but if you're looking for good or complex writing, you're in the wrong place.

-----

~ Courtyard - Vicky's 3rd Event ~

: I just close my eyes and let the sound of the water calm me...

*Splash*

: Bwah?! C-Cold! Okay, who splashed me?!

: Vicky? ...Stop? Stop! Aaah, STOP!

*Bonk*

: All Vicky was doing was hnting for dinner. You were in the way!
: I see you haven't changed. Are you at least trying harder as an engineer now?
: No! Vicky is strong! Attack!
: Ugh, I give up.

Music - Briefing

: They're pretty worn down, and a lot of them are injured.
: We'll have to bring along etra engineers to handle the wounded, then.
: That means you're coming along, Vicky. Okay? I need your help helping folks.

: It's a mission, not a hunt, and I don't want you to kill anyone! You're--

*She runs off*

: I'm a little nervous, too, but I know Vicky will come around eventually.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: I'm going to stare at a fountain. It's calming!
: Rawr! Attack!
: Whoa, stop!

*Inevitable collision*

: Hey, jerk, you interrupted my hunt!
: What the gently caress? Are you doing your job now?
: No, you weakling!
: Bah, whatever.
: Exposition segue fairy here, dudes down at Diebal Mountain, pls bring engis.
: Okay. You're coming with us, Vicky, so I need you to do your job.
: KILL
: No, no kill! Help--

*Runs away*

: drat it. Well I hope she doesn't screw this up.
: She'll eventually change- the writing demands it!
: You're right, and I'm suddenly optimistic!

----

Vicky's mission is like every other bog standard Diebal Mountains map combined with every other defense map.

I guess it is worth mentioning it does make you take Cosette and Vicky as if one forced engineer wasn't enough already. You don't save incapacitated units or anything, it's just another "rout the enemy" mission with a low A rank timer and piles of reinforcements (also known as a defense map).

----

~ Diebal Mountains - Vicky's 4th Event ~

Music: Theme of Class G

|Listen to the voice acting here|

: All right. We'll extract south now. I doubt they'll follow us far.
: We got everybody? Class G, pull out!

: What?! What's she doing way out... Vicky! C'mon we're heading back!
: Wait... Vicky's not standing up. Is she hurt?
: Avan! We don't have the numbers to take on this rebel squad!
: I hear you, Zeri. I'll go get her--
: It's our job to tend to the wounded. I'll go!

Music: Conflict

: Enemy is close! They will find me!
: No. No, no! NO!
: Someone, help! I do not want to die like this!

Just a reminder that this game tries to be a serious war story and a wacky high school RP at the same time.

: Cosette, what are you doing here!?
: I'm an engineer. It's my job to help the wounded. Besides...
: You're my squad mate, Vicky. It's only natural that I come help you.
: Because... We are squad mates?
: Okay, you're patched up! That should do it. Now let's get out of here!

: I never knew you could be so brave. I thought you engineers were...
: Aha! That's it! I will become an engineer and help the squad too!

: Avan! You hurt anywhere? Tell me and I will heal you!
: Wh-Whoa, what's up with you all of a sudden? Sorry, but I'm just fine.
: From now on, I am an engineer! My job is to help the wounded!
: Okay, actually it's kind of weird having you worry about me.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Alright, guys, we got 'em, let's go!
: Rebels incoming!
: Alright, guys, let's go faster!
: Hey, Vicky's still out there!
: There's too many rebels to go back!
: I'll do-
: I'll go in solo!

-

: gently caress, MY LEG
: Ah! They're closing in on me! I wish someone would help and impart a basic moral!
: Hi! I'm here, and I want to tell you to help others!
: Wow, you saved my life with just a bandage! I have decided to help others now!

-

: Avan, I will heal you!
: The gently caress is she on about now? Anyways, we should probably go.
: *laugh track*

----

I swear most of this event chain reads like a children's book with the other half being attempted war drama.

Eh, anyways, that was Vicky.

I don't know how a 15 year old is renowned as a master hunter, and what really baffles me is why she's here in the first place.

(Hell, if she's that drat good at hunting, why isn't she part of the scout class?)

Oh, and her new potential replaces her old one that lowers ragnaid healing power with one that raises it instead, Considerate. Her other potentials are just an evade and dodge boost, which overall doesn't make her that great. But she's an engineer, so she's inherently not that good of a unit.

And er, anyways, next update's coming scheduled as usual. Given that I've done 3 of these already, I might just put up the end of month update to break it up a bit.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 12, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So the one non-white student at the school is a backwards tribal that only thinks about hunting and killing?

Yeah, good one there VC2. Really good set up there. Not problematic at all

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Slaan posted:

So the one non-white student at the school is a backwards tribal that only thinks about hunting and killing?

Yeah, good one there VC2. Really good set up there. Not problematic at all

Don't forget about Raymond and Nahum. Vicky's the only non-white female student; this is still a very hamfisted approach, regardless.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Oh gods. I didn't know the game would handle it that badly. Yeah, I dont mind if you benched the "definitely not ainu" girl. Unfortunate cuz I wanted PoC on the team but if this is how they are handled then heckin oof

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You messed up one of the portraits at the end of the first conversation. Although it's kinda fun to see Cosette shouting that she doesn't need any friends.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Cooked Auto posted:

You messed up one of the portraits at the end of the first conversation. Although it's kinda fun to see Cosette shouting that she doesn't need any friends.

Thanks for catching that. I'll fix it, even if it is marginally more entertaining this way.

Edit:

DelilahFlowers posted:

Oh gods. I didn't know the game would handle it that badly. Yeah, I dont mind if you benched the "definitely not ainu" girl. Unfortunate cuz I wanted PoC on the team but if this is how they are handled then heckin oof

Yeah, Raymond and Nahum (to an extent) are handled far better than this. We'll be seeing his story soon enough.

The only other story I can think of that's pretty badly handled is Sofia's. It's bad for a couple of reasons. Alexis's is a bit hamfisted as well, honestly.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 9, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I told y'all.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Although it's kinda fun to see Cosette shouting that she doesn't need any friends.

:v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sure are a lot of engineers who shouldn't be engineers in this army.

Also you missed the voice acting link for the final part of the Vicky bit.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Kibayasu posted:

Also you missed the voice acting link for the final part of the Vicky bit.

I was trying to spare you from it, but alas, it was not to be.

Jokes aside, thanks for catching that. It felt like I'd forgotten something, but I couldn't figure out what.

Anyways, next update will be out sometime on the 13th.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 27: In Which Diebal Village Gets Attacked Again

Welcome back to LP where the mildly annoyed Twybil pokes fun at a mediocre game. Actually, "fun"'s probably the wrong word.

Anyways, after the last wave of our resident oblivious idiot sparking major life changing resolutions in other people, it's time for the story to progress.

Hell, "progress" is probably too strong a word for this game. Whatever, it's time for things to go down. I don't have you any relatively interesting story events to show you, and the combat's the same as ever, so it's straight to the end of the month we go. I don't have much to say about it, really.

---

~ Classroom - Story Event ~

*The bird flies in*

: : What, you want in on this bread? Well tough luck, pal, it's mine!

: Ha ha! Looks like Avan and Jarde both think with their stomachs.

*Door to classroom slams open*

: The rebels are headed to the Diebal Mountains on a Darcsen purge.
: : What?! All right, let's get ready, double time!

: What do you mean, Juliana?
: The Darcsens left Europa scorched and barren.
: What sort of person would willingly put themselves in harm's way for them?

: If it is a myth, why don't your people work to make the truth known?
: They refuse to stand up for themsleves, preferring to wallow in self-pity.
: Hm...
: And you respond with silence. How very Darcsen of you!
: You're a people well suited to the dark, dingy mines.

*Slap*

Music: Conflict

: Zeri is a our friend, and a member of Class G!
: You have no right to say that to him, or to anyone else for that matter!
: Cosette, you didn't have to do that...

: : Zeri's not who he is because he's Darcsen, he's just him. You're you. Right?
: Rgh...

*Walks off.*

: But I really didn't mean to! I just got so mad... I'll go apologize later.
: : You really have no impulse control at all, do you?
: I'm sorry, you two.
: : Huh? Why are YOU sorry?
: You haven't done a thing wrong, Zeri!

Twybil's Summary posted:

: : I am hungry. I shall eat bread.

*Bird attack*

: : Curses, birds!
: Hey, I'm the exposition fairy! Looks like we've gotta go defend Diebal Mountains from a racist purge again.
: Hah, you got that job because I'm racist and you suck!
: But, this racism is perpetuated by a myth!
: I never see any of you trying to prove it's not a myth; you're all a bunch of moody losers!
: (She has a point, but I shall remain silent due to edge.)

*Slap*

: Hah, take that, racist jerk! We're all friends here!
: The gently caress? When the hell did you grow a pair? I'm out!
: Not asked for, but totally appreciated even though I won't admit it.
: Oh no, I accidentally sort of attacked her! I should apologize!
: : Hey, guys, we've got a mission to get to!

------

So basically, the fencer lady just got owned by the weak engineer due to impulse rage. Oh, and Diebal Mountains is under attack again. This is like the third time already. We'll be stopping another fifteen attacks there before the game is over, and at least another one is part of the main story.

Let's move on to the scene of civilians being slaughtered in this wacky high school game.

----

~ Diebal Mountains - Pre-mission Cutscene ~

Music: Briefing

: The rebels have already begun their assault on the Diebal region.
: The Darcsen settlements that dot the area are taking significant fire.

What an astounding one-liner, Avan.

Return Battle
I'm using the closest subsitutes I have.

: : Rgh, they beat us here!

*Cosette speaking*

: Cosette? Honey, you're shaking! Are you okay?
: Huh? Y-Yeah. I'm fine!

: Are they just going to sit there and get massacred?
: The Darcsen do not retaliate.
: Returning violence for violence would tarnish our pride as a people.

Maybe, but it would also stop you from facing extinction.

: : Well, I'm not about to let these rebels do this! Let's put a stop to it!
: We're right behind you!

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Go do your mission, fool.
: : Okay, got it.

--

: : Oh, no, they're already here!

*People getting shot*

: I'm suddenly feeling emotional trauma despite having seen this before, but don't worry about me!
: Why don't they fight back?
: We have to maintain our image.
: *Internally building rage*
: : Shut up, and let's go fight!

---

This mission is the first appearance of General Baldren as an enemy. He's got a ton of HP for this point in the game, can act twice in a round, calls in orders for no cost, has maximum AP (over twice what our scouts have), and changes class at will whenever it suits him.

On his turn, he changes to lancer so he can chop your units in half with his sword and massive AP bar. On your turn, he changes to a Gunner so he can have the best interception fire possible at this level. Luckily, taking him out is optional- we just have to take a few bases and distract him in the meantime.

I could care less, honestly. I don't have time to deal with this fool. He doesn't do anything special but do a "NO, IMPOSSIBLE..." type voiceline when killed. If you want to do it, his HP bar is ungodly and his evade rating is trollish, so the best thing to do is get him turned around at a distance, then pop him the back of the head with your tank's cannon.

Anyways, we did the mission. Yay.

---------

~ Diebal Mountains - Post Victory ~

Music: Theme of the Rebels

:hist101: : Our forces have purged a majority of the settlements in the region.
:hist101: : The commander has ordered all troops to fall back, sir.

: Fall back?! Father would have me retreat while these kids still face us?!

:hist101: : B-But, sir! It is a direct order from the commander...

: Fine then!
: This region has been purged of Darcsens anyway. All troops, fall back!

Yes, we did kick his rear end, and yes he did just cutscene out on us. Get used to it because they're going to drag these villains on for as long as they can. It's almost like we're playing WKC with Avan's inability to capture a defeated enemy nearing dangerous levels of Leonard.

: : All right! There may be survivors around, guys. Let's give them some help!
: Right!

: : Hey, where's Zeri?
: I saw him walking up that hill at the edge of town.
: He looked like he wanted some time alone, so I didn't stop him.
: : I'll go check on him.

Music: Tear of Wars

: Do you know why this had to happen?
: What?
: It's because we're Darcsens.
: We're hated for supposedly leaving Europa in ashes thousands of years ago.
: They taught us, growing. Darcsens never retailate.
: That the cycle of revenge only hurts us in the end.

: It's true. Revenge yields nothing. But I won't let this status quo continue!
: Why, what'll you do?
: Once I'm done at Lanseal, I'll become a hero. The biggest Gallia has known.
: If I can get the people to accept even one Darcsen, the persecution will end.

: : I believe it, man!

Twybil's Summary posted:

: : Hey, we did it! Where's Zeri?
: He needed some time to himself.
: : Imma go bug him.

: Do you know why this had to happen? It's because of reasons that I've already explained before. We as a people don't retaliate, but I say gently caress that.
: I'm going to be a hero when I grow up, and when they accept me, they'll accept all Darcsens.
: : That's cool, dude.

I mean, I hate to break it to you Zeri, but you'll probably just become an exception. The best thing for you to do is get in contact with some historians and get their definite word on this, and some newspapers to spread the word. Give it a generation and everyone will finally come to their senses.

Of course, this is animeland, so changing everyone's mind should be instantaneous as soon as the main antagonists are dead.

All jokes aside, Zeri's initial character concept isn't bad, it's just marred by insistence on being mildly edgy, him not actively doing anything to achieve his goal for a long time, and him also being a bit of a show stealer and a Gary Stu.

Anyways, that's it for April. See you next time when the game goes back to being a school sim instead of a wargame.

No character votes yet. I still have to release the stories for Alexis and Nahum, so until then, I'm holding off on votes of any kind.

Also, apologies for the very short update, folks. I forgot this one was going to be so short, so I'll make the next one a bit earlier to make up for that. My update backlog is large enough where it won't make a dent. I had some brief time I spent on other things, (being sick and playing better games mostly), but I'm back on trying to hammer through this. Shouldn't take me too long.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

This game takes the "Don't Retaliate" Darcsen thing way too far (and also does a lovely job with it).

We watched Zeri not too long ago flip his poo poo at Mischlitt for basically the same thing that Juliana just called Zeri out on. Zeri decides to stay silent just to give an excuse for Cosette to have a big "Stand up for your friends" moment.

There's another way that VC2 screws this whole thing up, but I can't mention it until we hit a certain part of the story.

Also, yes. This game is a chain of "We win, but the villains declare victory anyway."

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

If Avan starts screaming about Cisna I will lose my poo poo.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

This game takes the "Don't Retaliate" Darcsen thing way too far (and also does a lovely job with it).

We watched Zeri not too long ago flip his poo poo at Mischlitt for basically the same thing that Juliana just called Zeri out on. Zeri decides to stay silent just to give an excuse for Cosette to have a big "Stand up for your friends" moment.

There's another way that VC2 screws this whole thing up, but I can't mention it until we hit a certain part of the story.

Also, yes. This game is a chain of "We win, but the villains declare victory anyway."

Yep, Zeri's base concept is something on paper that I'd like, but this game butchers it with its mishandling of things. Zeri's always inconsistent, wavering between tsundere rival, to smart tactician, and mouthy show stealer. He's also a bit of a hypocrite as well, similar to Avan. Cosette's concept also something on paper that I'd normally like, but they manage to screw it up there too; I just got finished with the update where they finally do her thing.

I'm pretty sure I know what part you're talking about when it comes to screwing this up more. We'll get there eventually.

In all honesty, you don't even win that much in this game in the first place. Every time you win something negative usually follows. Hell, that's this whole game.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

If Avan starts screaming about Cisna I will lose my poo poo.

Replace Cisna with Leon, and you might just get your wish later on. Leon is still an actual plot thread, I swear. Hell, you might even get that with Zeri.

I'm getting reminded of how this game is similar to WKC in many, unfortunate ways. Incompetent/ wildly rash protagonist main character, mostly ignored supporting characters, you hardly ever win anything and the villain always gets away, tedious grinding as part of gameplay, etc.

Luckily it manages to simply be a pit of mediocrity and half-baked ideas, and not a colossal city crashing into the water kind of trainwreck.

On an unrelated note, I discovered the things I needed to unlock all the hidden characters and did so on a whim. Yes, this game has hidden characters. Perhaps I'll use that as update filler because there's only so many Daily Events I can look at and have a summary for that's not : "Wow, generic anime high school thing happened".

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

"Wow, generic anime high school thing happened".
If you started this thread with just this in the original post and nothing else I probably would have been more satisfied than experiencing the storybeats in this game.

Of course this thread is its own kind of fun, tearing this game apart.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This might have been kind of interesting if they bothered to elaborate more on Darcsen beliefs and their dedication to non-violence.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

DelilahFlowers posted:

If you started this thread with just this in the original post and nothing else I probably would have been more satisfied than experiencing the storybeats in this game.

Of course this thread is its own kind of fun, tearing this game apart.

I mean, I probably would've too.

Keep in mind that I originally picked this game up looking to argue a neutral standpoint. I played a good portion of this years ago and I didn't remember much of it but being "kinda okay" at the time.

This was like, seven years ago.

Apparently when my PSP died, it was to get away from this game, and I didn't remember anything substantial because I was probably trying not to. Armed with only a vague memory and the knowledge a lot of people hated this game, I wanted to see why and play devil's advocate. I was a young, fresh LPer then.

That was back in October.

That being said, there's a certain satisfaction in tearing this game apart... but I can only get so much due to it being way too easy to make fun of and being mostly very mediocre than appallingly bad. Honestly, the fact I don't actually have to "play" the game anymore and the conversations here is what keeps me going on this, really.

When it's all over, I'll see if I can get this LP on the archive even if I'm personally not that proud of how it's turned out.

SSNeoman posted:

This might have been kind of interesting if they bothered to elaborate more on Darcsen beliefs and their dedication to non-violence.

I mean, they did a bit in the first game, probably more than this one does and it wasn't even initially focused on the racism issue. The original conflict of VC1 involved the Empire attacking Gallia for it's ragnite mines in order to fuel it's war against the Federation. The racism played only a minor role until they stepped it up to slavery and slaughter, the often mentioned ancient Valkyrian propaganda being believed as fact in their nation and used by the Empire to justify its war against Gallia.

This game has a group of 3 deluded weirdos who have it out for the Darcsens for three different reasons (as a scapegoat, flagrant racism, and the fact Cordelia is not a laser lady) and their highly impressionable army of jerkwads. Oh, and Captain Anime is there too.

"We don't retaliate", Zeri's insistence on becoming a "hero", and the fact that the Diebal Mountains gets attacked literally all the time is about as far as the depth into Darcsens goes. It kinda takes a back seat in this game, which is odd because the main thing is that it's supposed to be about fighting against a highly racist rebellion.

Between Mischlitt's and Helmut's stories and this part with Zeri, you've seen about as much depth as this game is willing to go into regarding the Darcsens.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Update 28: You Hurt Captain Anime's Feelings

Welcome back to this slog of a game, folks. Since the last one was so short, I promised to hand out a new one quickly.

Just imagine this says May, okay?

We're in May now, which means we'll nearly be at the halfway point of this game by the end of this update. In practice, that doesn't mean anything because the game slows down drastically in the meantime as it introduces grinding for promotions and ramps up how much it cheats.

In practice, that also doesn't mean anything because I'm skipping all the combat as usual.

Anyways, lets get started so I can get this over with.

-----

~ Randgriz - Story Event ~

Music: Royal Military Academy

: Yeah! So this is where Cordelia lives, right?
: That's right. We're on our way to a brief audience with the Archduchess now.
: You should feel honored. She's decorating you for your work escorting her.

Here's some awkward exposition for you.

...And here's another reason to hate Avan. This gently caress is getting a medal of honor and he's complaining about it not being food.

: Do not embarass us with any gaffes in front of the Archduchess.
: Yeah, yeah, I hear you. Don't get your shorts in a twist, I'll be good.

: Ugh, fine. Just stay hidden in my pocket, okay?
: It's time for our audience. Let's head to the castle.

: Hm? Why so tense, Brixy? It's not like you.
: Avan, reasonable people get a bit nervous around royalty. You're just odd.

: For your exemplary service, I hereby grant you Gallia's Medal of Honor.
: Thank you, Your Highness! I know the whole class'll be just thrilled!
: Hee hee. It pleases me to see you as exuberant as ever.
: Yup! I may not be smart, but I've always had pep!

: My, how darling! Is this your bird, Avan?
: Yes, ma'am. His name is Jarde.
: The pleasure is all mine, Jarde. I welcome you to Randgriz.

: Know that I, too, will be fighting for that end, in every way I am able.
: Yes, ma'am! But I hope you'll leave the dangerous stuff to us!
: May your allegiance to Gallia never fail, Avan Hardins. Godspeed to you.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Wow this place is big!
: We're here to get you a medal of honor for saving the Archduchess's cinnamon roll delivery.
: I wish medals were edible!

*Jarde arrives suddenly*

: Fine, get in my pocket.

---

: Why so tense, dude?
: Avan, don't gently caress this up in front of our country's leader.
: Psh, yeah, whatever.

--

: You saved my cinnamon roll delivery, have this medal.
: Thanks! I'm dumb but excitable!

*Jarde predictably flies out of pocket*

: Cute bird! I want peace for people and animals alike!
: That's cool. Leave the dangerous stuff to us!
: I hope you stay loyal to Gallia.

---

I don't know if I'll ever be able to get over the cinnamon roll delivery. I know it's supposed to be a sign of goodwill, but it seems pretty weak and unhelpful.

Anyways, back to this mediocre plot.

---

~ Library - Story Event ~

: Oh, it's you lot.
: Uh, h-hi, Juliana...
: Hmph...
: What, you got saddled with make-up work, too?

: Wow, that's a heck of a book you got there. Looks pretty technical.
: Wait, that's--

: This is Theimer's thesis! It's been out of print for ages.
: I've been searching for a copy forever. I had no idea we had one here.
: W-Well, now you know. Hand it back.

: Theimer was a Darcsen engineer. One of Gallia's top mechanichal geniuses.
: He served as General Belgend Gunther's right arm in the First Europan War.
: He designed the tank the general used, too, right?
: I'm a bit surprised to see you reading a reference penned by a Darcsen.

: This thesis is widely regarded as revolutionary. It's a masterwork.
: I see no need to allow the author's race to affect that objective assessment.
: ...I see.
: When you're done reading it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

: I've always had an interest in his work and his working philosophy.
: I'm sure your insights would be illuminating.

: Zeri. I've told you my name is Zeri. You should dry it, it's easy to say.
: I've heard enough! I'm leaving!
: Um, wait! Er... Sorry about before, Juliana!
: Hmph!

*Runs off*

: I guess she reads up on a whole bunch of stuff in her free time.
: It looks that way. She makes a good example for SOME people I know.
: Oof...

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Argh, make-up work!
: Why did I have to get stuck with you?
: Because you're the only person who'd put up with it.
: Shut up, you nerds!
: Big book you got there.
: Whoa, whoa, whoa, it's the special thesis written by a Darcsen Engineer! But why are you reading it?
: So what? I-I have to broaden my horizons, b-baka!
: Well, anyways, can we be book nerd friends?
: N-no! I'm leaving!
: Wait, I'm sorry I hit you!

*Bails on conversation*

: Oh, well, she's gone.
: At least she reads books unlike you.

----

I'm sure those of you readers who are adept in the methods of anime can pick up on where Juliana's story is going. You'd be mostly right.

No, there's really not much investment in it because she's still a gigantic pain. At least there wasn't any from me, even when I was trying to like this game

We'll do one more for today, just to blow the tone for this update apart. I can't really say I can think of any daily events worth showing, just know that there probably was one and it was probably meh.

----

~ Rebel HQ - Story Event ~

Music: Theme of the Rebels

: Good. Very good.

: And House Gassenarl will return to the capital as Gallia's rulers!
: The wait has been long, Father. Those centuries since our exile here...
: And all because of their base deception, usurping the Valkyrian name.
: Our house could long have been steering the nation along the proper path.
: Yes, but now the power of the Valkyrur lies with us.

: The Valkyrur are a source of hope for the war-tired masses.
: We'll exploit that to the utmost possible--
: Father!You ought not say such things about the--

: You saw her, Audrey. The azure witch of the Empire.
: I did. Hers was a truly chilling, beautiful power. Tremendously destructive.
: A far cry from what that imitation is capable of.
: Um...
: Yes, Dirk is insufficient. A powerful Gallia requires power as she posessed.
: Were that it were mine!

: (I cannot leave this matter to Father.)
: Dirk. Come to my chamber later so that I speak with you.
: ...Understood.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: How's the war going?
: Good.
: Good. We'll make approaches to take the capital at some point soon.
: Grab these two backwater towns as waypoints.
: Yes, we'll do that. Soon we'll rule Gallia!
: Those liars on the throne will pay for faking to be anime ladies!
: Yes they will, as we'll exploit our own anime laser mechs-
: No, you mustn't speak so disrespectfully of my anime ladies!
: Whatever. Get to it, you pile of disappointments.

--

: Father does not respect my anime waifus, he doesn't get their power!
: Yep, they're pretty destructive.
: Better than that cheap knock-off, Dirk!
: :(
: I wish I was an anime laser lady, too! Father could never understand!

Writing-wise, at least they tried to be skillful by showing the disparity between the beliefs of the Rebel leaders. Gilbert's only out for conquering Gallia, Baldren's in it to be powerful, and Audrey worships them like they're a doomsday cult.

This is aside from the fact that the game's writing is a mess in general. It shows that there was potential here, at least.

Anyways, that's all for today, folks. Join us next time when I tackle more of the character stories.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 15, 2020

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Oh yeah, remember how great that strategy worked out for the Empire? Remember when they controlled 60-70% of the entire country and then things started to go horribly pear-shaped for them when they approached Randgriz? Let's do that plan again! Except our strategy is dumber because we don't even control the industrial heart of the country the way that the Empire did! We're going to march to Randgriz with control of empty forests, mountains, and backwater villages!

These loving morons. Let's not even get into the fact that their only victories have been against unarmed pacifist civilians and that the reject class of teenagers in the nearby military academy has been kicking their rear end across the countryside.

You can't take these villains seriously. It's impossible. Squad 7 and Squad 422 could have taken these idiots by themselves and ended this rebellion within the month.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

Oh yeah, remember how great that strategy worked out for the Empire? Remember when they controlled 60-70% of the entire country and then things started to go horribly pear-shaped for them when they approached Randgriz? Let's do that plan again! Except our strategy is dumber because we don't even control the industrial heart of the country the way that the Empire did! We're going to march to Randgriz with control of empty forests, mountains, and backwater villages!

These loving morons. Let's not even get into the fact that their only victories have been against unarmed pacifist civilians and that the reject class of teenagers in the nearby military academy has been kicking their rear end across the countryside.

You can't take these villains seriously. It's impossible. Squad 7 and Squad 422 could have taken these idiots by themselves and ended this rebellion within the month.

It's worth mentioning that this isn't the only plan they steal from the Empire. For some reason, these rebel dingbats think that repeating what the Empire did to lose is the best way to win.

Their plans are terrible, honestly. It just gets worse as we get deeper in the months.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

It's worth mentioning that this isn't the only plan they steal from the Empire. For some reason, these rebel dingbats think that repeating what the Empire did to lose is the best way to win.

Their plans are terrible, honestly. It just gets worse as we get deeper in the months.

Oh, I know. They've got plenty of stupid left in them yet.

Like, sure, they are dealing with a much weaker Gallian army than the Empire was up against. But at the same time, these guys don't have the kind of numbers, equipment, or strength that the Imperial Army had. They're also being kept off their footing by the local military academy that's full of moody teenagers. I think the only reason they haven't already been routed is because Lanseal doesn't seem to be interested in going on the attack.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 16, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh, a tsundere love interest for Zeri? Or it would be if it was interesting. :v:

Such a great plan cannot fail, it can only be failed if you don't try hard enough. It's right out of Avan's Big Book of Militrary Statrergy.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

Oh, I know. They've got plenty of stupid left in them yet.

Like, sure, they are dealing with a much weaker Gallian army than the Empire was up against. But at the same time, these guys don't have the kind of numbers, equipment, or strength that the Imperial Army had. They're also being kept off their footing by the local military academy that's full of moody teenagers. I think the only reason they haven't already been routed is because Lanseal doesn't seem to be interested in going on the attack.

The only reason they haven't gone on the attack by the way, is that it's technically outside of their jurisdiction for some reason. We'll hit that part come Update 32. It's also when the game decides to try and play its hand for real, with "try" being the operative word.

Poil posted:

Oh, a tsundere love interest for Zeri? Or it would be if it was interesting. :v:

Such a great plan cannot fail, it can only be failed if you don't try hard enough. It's right out of Avan's Big Book of Militrary Statrergy.

----

"Beautifully imaginative strategy maps in crayon, authentic breadcrumb residue, and all the reading you need to form yourself into the most basic Shonen Protagonist possible!

Readers love it! Just listen to what they had to say:

'A vapid gossip rag.' - Zeri

'Avan, you are the worst student.' - Professor Brixham

With reviews like that, how could you refuse? Win your pointless war today with the teachings of Avan's Big Book of Militrary Statrergy!

(Fans should also check out 'WE LOVE LEON' by the same author!)"

----

Oh, and Zeri's love interest thing never really gets interesting in my opinion, and I'm currently working on the update where that arc hits its finale. It's also the only love interest as part of the main story, so take that as you will.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i cant belive they will anime the racism away

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Ah yes, teenagers making out, that great cure for racism.

Didn't the Empire already try the fake Valkyrie thing?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

The Blue Lagoon Nationals

I must say, these parallax effects are just wonderful. I never get tired of looking at them, even if these water hazards are a huge pain.

Hey, hey, hey! Don't rush me, game. I'm admiring your wonderfully aged graphics. Regardless, a shot at near 100% and...

...slightly high will do me fine.

...Cleared the trees...!

Ha!

Those are the words I love to hear.

Easy. Though I really wish it had been a birdie.

I can't seem to shake this grim feeling at the back of my head. I know I've only got -1 points 4 holes in but...

Ew, 9th? Well at least I'm still on the boards-

No. NO!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

----

Update 29: Avan Gropes A Lady

...I'll let the title speak for itself.

Anyways, it's time for another update of this game, (a day early, because I felt like it,) so get your tickets ready because the train for animeland is leaving now. If you left your tickets at home, consider it a happy coincidence.

Folks voted to see Alexis, the incredibly androgynous student's, story. Here we go.

----

~ Mess Hall - Alexis's First Event ~

: Mmfg, this is so good! I LIVE for lunchtime!

: Hey, you're in my class, right?
: That's right. I'm Alexis.
: I suppose this is the first time we've spoken one-on-one.
: Yeah, I think so.

: I have to admit, I'm surprised that you're adept at every unit class.
: Did you train for combat elsewhere before coming here?
: Hmm, well my old school did have the usual War Ed classes, but...
: I'd say it's probably more thanks to my brother. He used to train me.
: Your brother, eh?
: He'd been working the town watch for years, so he had a lot to teach me.
: I joined up too and we worked out together.
: I see.

: Do you usually do much practice outside of class drills?
: Some, but I'm alone, so it's limited to weight training and running.
: With two people, the possibilities open up considerably... Well?
: Sign me up! That sounds great, man.

: I'll see you after class on the drill ground, then?
: You bet! I'm looking forward to it.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Mm! Food!
: Uh, hi. We've hardly spoken to each other, but I'm Alexis.
: Cool.
: Say, since you're good at all unit classes, did you train elsewhere?
: Nope, I was taught everything I know by LEON, THE GREATESTEST.
: Hm... Mind training with me some? I can do a lot more with a partner.
: Yeah, sure, man!

----

Not much to say about this event, really. At least its nice and inoffensive, aside from LEON.

Anyways, onto the next event.

----

~ Training Grounds - Alexis's Second Event ~

: So, I was wondering...
: Those are armored tech weapons stacked against the wall there, right?
: Yes, though the blades are dulled for practice.
: What do you say to a little sparring, as long as we're here?
: Me against you? Sure, I'm up for it!
: Heh. Very good.

: Owww. Sorry, man. I lost my balance there, but I'm okay now. Just...

*Groping*

: Just a second... Huh?
: That's good. Ready to begin again?

*More groping*

: Um... Alexis?
: Whatever it is, can we talk about it once you're off me? You're heavy.

*Even more groping*

: I'm feeling something here, and it... Is there something I should know?

: Aren't you a bit slow to notice? And there's no cause for surprise.
: No cause for--? Of course it's a surprise! Anybody would be surprised here!
: So I'm a woman. I don't see how this presents a problem in our sparring.
: It's... not a problem or anything, I just... A guy needs to prepare!

: Huh?
: I had hoped you wouldn't be the type to judge a person by their gender.
: I'm sorry, but I'd like some time alone.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: ...And that's how me and my bro did it.
: Clean workout, bro. Anyways, do you want to spar?
: Sure!

*They pick up training swords*

: Hyaah!
: I strike back-
: Too slow- counterattack!
: Whoa, gently caress, I've entirely lost balance!

*Avan collapses onto Alexis*

: Ow, drat it. Hey- uh, wait a second...
: If you've got something to say, can you get off me first?

*Gropes*

: What is this I'm feeling?
: Never touched a lady's chest before?
: Whoa, you're a GIRL?!
: Yes, and? Let's get back to fighting.
: Hold up, I need some time to process this. You're...a girl?
: ...Really?
: A GIRL!? WHOA! A GIIIIRRRRLLLLL?
: Ugh, fine. I'm out if you're going to flip out like this.

----

I was pretty sure those chestplates are metal, so Avan wouldn't have been able to feel anything in the first place.

That's not me excusing Avan, that's me pointing out that this game is dumb. Anyways, there you go, Alexis is a woman, just very androgynous.

I'm just surprised that they didn't accidentally impale themselves on the swords while falling over.

----

~ Daws Desert - Alexis's Third Event ~

Music - Briefing

: I just, um... I wanted to, you know... About the other day?
: It was an accident. Don't worry about it.
: Just focus on the mission. This area is lined with enemy gun turrets.
: A moment's distraction could cost your life.
: Oh. Right.

You only made it more awkward, dumbass.

: I'm no good with delicate stuff like this, but if I don't...

*Gunfire*

Music: Desert Battle

*A mortar shell hits nearby*

: Waugh?!
: Looks like they've spotted us.
: drat it, they've got us pinned down here! We're sitting ducks!
: We'll be fine. We just need to keep moving.
: Are you crazy?! As soon as we step out there, we'll be honeycombed!
: Avan. We'll be fine. I'll keep you safe.

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Like, I, uh...You know about the other day and-
: Dude, forget about it. We're in a warzone right now- focus on the mission, would you?
: (But...But I have to apologize and I suck at doing that)-

*Gunfire*

: Get down, fool!
: Wah!

*Nearly hit by a mortar shell*

: drat it, they found us.
: We're trapped!
: Stop panicking- we're fine as long as we keep moving!
: The gently caress?! We go out there and we'll get shredded!
: I have a shield, idiot. Now get behind me and let's go before the turrets get us.
: I...O-okay!

----

The following mission is yet another nighttime sandstorm desert map. It is indeed loaded with turrets and is as awful as it sounds. Luckily, it's not restricted to just Avan and Alexis, so you can play the mission mostly normally.

Oh, and it's a rout the enemy map which is only marginally better than a defense map.

With that out of the way, we arrive at Alexis's final event.

----

~ Daws Desert - Alexis's Final Event ~

|Listen to the voice acting here|

: What's wrong, Avan? You don't sound happy.
: Alexis, I...I'm really sorry!
: I totally betrayed your trust that time.
: You trusted me as a friend, but I...
: As soon as I learned you were a girl, I just kind of freaked out.
: Even though that doesn't change you are at all. So I'm sorry.

: Yeah, but...
: There's a reason I'm like this, you know.
: Oh yeah?
: My father served with the royal guard. It filled him with pride.
: He dreamed that one day, his heir would follow in his footsteps.
: Unfortunately, my parentls struggled to have a child.
: When they were finally successful, they had me. A girl.
: How did your father react?

: Despite the concern of my mother and others, he raised me as a son.
: Wow, Alexis...
: Don't sound so sad. I've never had any qualms with my upbringing.
: I'm thankful for the unique opportunities it has afforded me.
: I'm proud of who I am.

: Oof. Sorry, Alexis.
: ...Bt that last fight really drove it home for me.
: Guy or girl, you're you. And what you are is amazing.
: Thank you.
: If you're down for it, I'd love to train together again sometime.
: We've still got a tie to break!

Twybil's Summary posted:

: Alright, we did it.
: I...Listen, I'm sorry! I'm sorry I panicked when I found out you were a girl. I betrayed you, and well-
: Hey, cool it for a second. It's fine.
: But-
: I am who I am for a reason. My parents struggled to have a child, and my father wanted a son to follow in his steps as a Royal Guard. So he raised me as a son. It's been pretty cool honestly, it just sucks when people freak out about it. So, like, let it go.
: Right...that last fight really told me that you are who you are: awesome.
: ...Thanks.
: Anyways, want to spar again sometime?
: Sure, why not? We're still friends.

----

And there you go. After groping a woman, having a panic attack, and nearly dying on a battlefield, Avan has learned to set aside predefined gender roles.

Alexis gains the Mighty Heart potential, which randomly restores some HP. It's all good because Alexis is already one of the best AT's available.

Neat.

...Anyways, next time on Adventures in Animeland, we'll learn about the royalty of Not-Australia.

No, I'm not joking. Why would I be?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

HardDiskD posted:

i cant belive they will anime the racism away

but they will

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Didn't the Empire already try the fake Valkyrie thing?

Yes they did. Just wait, the V2 plot gets dumber and more anime. I'd know, I just wrote up did the update where it does on my side.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The contempt is so thick I almost need to wipe down my monitor. With a pickaxe.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Love to learn what the writers think of gender non conforming people :). At least it is not as bad as some other games looking at you dangaronpa.

At least we are past the accidental groping trope in this game right? One and done..... Right? This is totally not gonna happen between a certain dark haired man and a certain noticeably breasted women. Right? Please tell me I'm right God damnit.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Poil posted:

The contempt is so thick I almost need to wipe down my monitor. With a pickaxe.

Could that be considered datamining?

DelilahFlowers posted:

Love to learn what the writers think of gender non conforming people :). At least it is not as bad as some other games looking at you dangaronpa.

At least we are past the accidental groping trope in this game right? One and done..... Right? This is totally not gonna happen between a certain dark haired man and a certain noticeably breasted women. Right? Please tell me I'm right God damnit.

Alexis's writing could've been worse, one of the "wacky" events later included as part of this. It's at least not as bad as the implications with Vicky's writing. There's a lot of games that take a bad approach to it, and some who take a far worse approach than this game. It's still not great though.

The accidental pervert trope is for the most part gone. Likely, we won't ever see it because there's only two characters I know of that involve something similar, one character being entirely risque scenarios later on. They've, er, both actually been voted for, but we've only seen their first events.

There's uh, a thing that's going to happen with that certain woman eventually. That's, um, Update 33. Oh, and I suppose 34 counts too, but in an entirely different way.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 17, 2020

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Wow, that's just another example of Avan being an absolutely terrible leader too.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm confused. It doesn't sound like Alexis made her choice, it sounds like her father told her to dress that way to avoid...non existent gender prejudice? This military school is full of women. Juliana is a woman and class leader. Literally no one in game has expressed the sentiment that women are poor fighters, not even the bad guys.

Avan is still awful.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I'm confused. It doesn't sound like Alexis made her choice, it sounds like her father told her to dress that way to avoid...non existent gender prejudice? This military school is full of women. Juliana is a woman and class leader. Literally no one in game has expressed the sentiment that women are poor fighters, not even the bad guys.

Avan is still awful.

It's more like her father forced her to be the heir to the family that he never got. He wanted a son to carry on the family legacy and dammit, he will have that son one way or another.

Alexis is complicated. The game has a positive portrayal of this gender non-conformity, but at the same time it suggests that it was something that was forced rather than something that Alexis just naturally grew in to. As you said, it also seems to be trying to suggest that there exists some widespread prejudice against women in the military despite the fact that the VC series is full of women in all kinds of military roles (Varrot was a commanding officer and a veteran sniper from EW1. Juliana is leader of the top class in the military academy. Selvaria was an Imperial General. Cordelia is now the reigning monarch of the country. There’s no shortage of women in these games that are almost never faced with "Pff, women" attitudes).

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Avan is still awful.

Psycho Knight posted:

It's more like her father forced her to be the heir to the family that he never got. He wanted a son to carry on the family legacy and dammit, he will have that son one way or another.

Alexis is complicated. The game has a positive portrayal of this gender non-conformity, but at the same time it suggests that it was something that was forced rather than something that Alexis just naturally grew in to. As you said, it also seems to be trying to suggest that there exists some widespread prejudice against women in the military despite the fact that the VC series is full of women in all kinds of military roles (Varrot was a commanding officer and a veteran sniper from EW1. Juliana is leader of the top class in the military academy. Selvaria was an Imperial General. Cordelia is now the reigning monarch of the country. There’s no shortage of women in these games that are almost never faced with "Pff, women" attitudes).

Not to mention that the entire culture of Gallia, (and the nearby nations,) inherits somewhat from the legendary laser lady Valkyrias, female soldiers of insane physical strength and constitution. Cordelia's whole deal is that everyone was shocked to find out that their royal line was not, in fact, derived from Valkyrian blood, not that she's a little lady instead of a bearded king.

I mean, maybe the Royal Guard has issues with females, but that seems incredibly unlikely given the presence of Valkyria.

It's kinda dumb. It makes one step forward and the other sideways off a hillside. There's really no presence, or even reason for sexism being apparent in Gallia.

The only viable conclusion is that Avan is incredibly dumb and Alexis just happened to have incredibly bad luck in meeting only people who had an issue with her over the years. That party being very small, and also including Avan for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Psycho Knight posted:

Considering Ferrier's tremendously hosed up background in VC4, Alexis' story, that is, being the child of a noble family desperate to maintain the status quo, is also one of the few exceptions to the rule. The rule being, y'know, men and women both serve in all positions in these games (at least in Gallia and the Federation) with no blatant era-specific sexism.