Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Saoshyant posted:

(the one panel with Cyclops was disturbing).

At the end? What the hell was up with his costume choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

Laundry day

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Gologle posted:

This is honestly a good point. Right now I don't think we understand Xavier's true endgame other than "avert mutant extinction".

Isn't Franklins power basically 'rewrite reality'? My guess is he'd want him on his side just for that, as it's a trump card basically. Beyond that, the resurrection protocols could possibly restore his powers as needed.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Itd be interesting if Franklin died or even got murdered by a mutant.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

jng2058 posted:

(though I guess even a cyborg Ross behind a desk filing reports no one reads would still fit the character)

Call that series Desklok!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Chinston Wurchill posted:

The timeline on FF/X is a bit confusing. Pyro doesn't have his face tattoo so it's either before that happened in Marauders or after he died and was resurrected at some point yet to happen in Marauders. Or that's just a consistency error. In any case, probably best not to think about it too much.

Yea i tend not to think about that buyt when its a big mystery of what happened to a character and then they're just chilling in another issue, it undercuts the tension. Not that I think they'd kill Kate off at this point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We already know from previous issues that Kate and Emma have a permanent psychic PTT (PPPTT?) connection so I'm just waiting for the reveal about Kate being saved and while Shaw thinks she's dead, destroying everything he knows.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Kingtheninja posted:

Terrible costume, but this era is giving more leeway on costume choice. Jean is going to be wearing a different outfit in her issue of Giant Size than she has been in other books.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Fishylungs posted:

Call that series Desklok!

:golfclap:

I'd read it.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
This is an excellent article: https://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/2020/02/krakoas-queer-futurism/

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

frodnonnag posted:

Isn't Franklins power basically 'rewrite reality'? My guess is he'd want him on his side just for that, as it's a trump card basically. Beyond that, the resurrection protocols could possibly restore his powers as needed.

I can think of at least two other mutants with that same powerset on Krakoa already-- but neither of them with the moral upbringing of being raised in the first family of superheroics, which I think is the larger point.

danbanana posted:

Daredevil is always tortured by life. Spidey always sacrifices. Sam is always nigh-invulnerable when blastin'. Reed always fucks up because being smart means being unable to understand human nature.

These are the basic characterizations of the Marvel Universe.

Somebody needs to make a horse version of Cannonball, in the style of Throg.

"I'm neigh-invulnerable when I'm blastin'!"

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Cabbit posted:

Somebody needs to make a horse version of Cannonball, in the style of Throg.

"I'm neigh-invulnerable when I'm blastin'!"

Well now I'm disappointed in Al Ewing for not giving Mr. Horse that line.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/cracksh0t/status/1227274533641637893/photo/1

Lockheed on Emma's shoulder.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I still think they're playing Shaw.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Dawgstar posted:

Lockheed on Emma's shoulder.

Thank god.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Kate's funeral one issue BEFORE the logical conclusion of the arc (in #12)? Yeah, it's a long con all right.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, but I'm not looking forward to 5 issues without drunken pirate Kate.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Makes her appearance in X/FF kinda confusing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Spoilers: it's a comic book and she will survive/be resurrected and timelines don't always match up exactly with other comics.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

*editors note: this comic takes place when kate's not a corpse

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
If only No Prizes still existed! We'd all win!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Every month I waver back and forth on how much I buy into the Krakoan propaganda regime. Last issue I was honestly pretty for it, what with its bold new world ideology with the actual means and will to enforce that ideology. It was the first time since the reboot that I thought, okay yeah, this actually does feel like something new, something that hadn't been tried before, instead of just saying so ad nauseum. Go on with your bad selves, Charles/Erik. Your dicks are huge and you're using them to great effect.

This issue, though? I'm reminded deeply of Ursula Le Guin's short story, "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas." And this week I'm fully behind team Mystique and her very deserved incentive to burn it all down to the loving ground. You go, Raven. Leave none standing.

Next issue?...who knows how I'll feel! :allears:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah it reminds me of why I'm skeptical of optimistic or utopian queer readings of the Krakoa reboot, insofar as I'm already skeptical of how well a straight writer can write a queer utopia that would be compelling to me. Krakoa is relentlessly and energetically focused on futurity, but a specifically reproductive futurity-- they're all about the injunction to make more new mutants through old-fashioned means as much as possible. We have vague intimations of polyamorous relationships but the main one we've seen coy hints of is still focused around the central point of the ultra-heterosexual Scott Summers, his exes, his romantic rivals.

I think the only happy queer relationship we've seen on page-- and forgive me if I'm forgetting one, or missed one in one of the books I'm not reading-- has been Bobby Drake and Christian Frost, which seems like it is not going to end well given Christian's scheming.

Obviously we're meant to sympathize with Mystique in this issue, with her rage at spending decades unable to openly celebrate her love for her wife and now, in a post-death society that promises everything, at still being separated from her, a singular act of estrangement in a nation where love is the strongest form of agitprop and death is no longer a barrier. We're supposed to see Krakoa, in this case, through her embittered eyes, but to me it's showing us a version of the place I'd sort of intuited all along. I liked this issue quite a bit and it suggests that Hickman is in his mode where he has something interesting to say about power and its operations instead of just showing us stuff about power.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

x-force is a very serious comic book

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
how did Moira convince literally everyone in the leadership that Destiny has to stay dead? just tell that to Mystique

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

how did Moira convince literally everyone in the leadership that Destiny has to stay dead? just tell that to Mystique
None of those people were married to Destiny. It's also possible Moira lied about the reason, or left out key details, and if Destiny is revived she will immediately call them out. You also would have to tell Mystique the reason, and then she knows the reason and even if you revive Destiny anyway, she may use it against you.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Mystique would not give a poo poo. That os just not who she has ever been. She only cares about the bigger picture insofar as that picture benefits her.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
whenever mystique works with someone, she betrays them. it's how she's ended her every membership on an x-team over the years. the only exception was destiny. it was always foolish to try to keep her leashed with a promise they had no intention of keeping. like, what did they think was going to happen?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think the only question at this point is exactly how prepared Chuck and the gang are to deal with Mystique's inevitable betrayal (even if it is justified, for once)

I kind of wonder if this results the first real political strife on the island. It's not like there's a shortage of beef to take advantage of, considering who's on the council. All it would take is a bit of commiseration between Raven and Apocalypse, who probably wants more power than he already has, maybe rope Sinister into it, and there you go. Hell, it could even be a ploy on Xavier's behalf to use Mystique as magnet to attract the island's dissident forces together under one banner before chucking them all in the Sabertooth hole.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I would imagine there’d be considerably more pushback on throwing a council member into the pit. Which in turn is making me question why they made her one at all knowing this could potentially become an issue.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

The thing I'm wondering is how likely it is that Chuck hasn't already read her mind, either recently or over the years, and discovered Destiny's warning?

e: You know, since Jean's already proven she can helm the resurrection process, maybe what Raven needs to do is to try and convince Jean and the Five to bring back Destiny without Charles' involvement at all. She is a Council member, and if she can convince Jean her cause is just then having two Council members ask the Five may be influence enough. Or, hell, bring it up in an open Council session and make Chuck and Erik either have to back down and let Destiny come back or at least get a public explanation why.

But no, we're probably going to have her sabotage missions in a way that does incalculable harm instead. :sigh:

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 13, 2020

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

jng2058 posted:

The thing I'm wondering is how likely it is that Chuck hasn't already read her mind, either recently or over the years, and discovered Destiny's warning?

e: You know, since Jean's already proven she can helm the resurrection process, maybe what Raven needs to do is to try and convince Jean and the Five to bring back Destiny without Charles' involvement at all. She is a Council member, and if she can convince Jean her cause is just then having two Council members ask the Five may be influence enough. Or, hell, bring it up in an open Council session and make Chuck and Erik either have to back down and let Destiny come back or at least get a public explanation why.

But no, we're probably going to have her sabotage missions in a way that does incalculable harm instead. :sigh:
Well or she is going to incapacitate Xavier at some point, shift into him, and tell the five to bring him back. It's not unlikely she tries/does something like that well before she attempts burning it down.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 13, 2020

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

jng2058 posted:

Down this road lies the Phantom Menace

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

jng2058 posted:

I seem to recall Mystique having some degree of psychic resistance, 'cuz her mind is...malleable or something?

Or I'm thinking of someone else.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BrianWilly posted:

I seem to recall Mystique having some degree of psychic resistance, 'cuz her mind is...malleable or something?

Or I'm thinking of someone else.

No, that rings a bell. I think that's why she had Forge as a minder in her ongoing BKV did.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dawgstar posted:

No, that rings a bell. I think that's why she had Forge as a minder in her ongoing BKV did.

Also they have a history of banging

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Caught up with the last couple weeks of books.

Marauders... I like them dragging out Kate's fate. I don't like them implying Lockheed is dead. But this is going to sound like an Old Man Yellin' At Sky thing... This is the kind of issue that Claremont slayed in his prime: a story heavily based on character interactions, some secondary action, little plot movement but a teaser for the next issue. I think Duggan's been pretty great on this book but I definitely wanted something more substantial. The Emma-Calisto stuff was all vagueries and one-liners and then a quick resolution. I want melodrama and exposition, dammit!

X-Men/FF... Zdarsky's best trait as a writer is highlighting a character's most basic traits and he really succeeds here. But I loving hate a lot of the stuff Slott has done to FF, including the aging of the Richards kids and the nerfing of Franklin's powers. I don't want Emo Frankie. But Chip does his best with it.

X-Men... Loved it. This has all that 80s X-stuff I love in a modern package.

I also really like how it feels like they're finally pushing away from the 6-issue story arc that's been driving comics for the last 20 years. Hickman kind of played towards that with his Avengers run, but this is far more in-line with storytelling from the pre-trade era than that was. Maybe I'm appreciating it more since I am buying single issues for the first time in over a decade but I'm all for more books doing this.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2020/02/17/x-men-monday-48-jonathan-hickman-answers-your-giant-size-x-men-questions/

The Giant-Size stories will end with Storm, and are connected. Dauterman returns for it too!

Also, confirmation:

quote:

Jonathan: The Xavier we saw in HOX/POX and up to X-Force #1 was the Astonishing Xavier. Post resurrection is Charles in Charles’s body. We’ve drawn him ever so slightly skinnier.

But, you know, not for long, Chuck is working out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m ready for Buff Shirtless Charles still wearing the Cerebro helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m ready for Buff Shirtless Charles still wearing the Cerebro helmet.

Is he an American male?