Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

I revel in it, because it means that every day I survive this hell is another victory over Creation.

Yes, existence sucks and is filled with suffering, and I want as much of it as possible. gently caress the universe and all its suffering, I'm going to eke out whatever enjoyment I can and endure all the rest, this bitch is going to have to try a little harder if she wants ME to stop existing*.

* Big talk does not apply to sufficiently severe cluster headaches

Ah then the difference is perhaps that I don't tend to personify the universe so necessarily my reaction is almost entirely inward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Oh it doesn't have to be personified for me to call it my nemesis and claim victory. Anymore than the Matterhorn is to climbers :p

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Again even the idea of that's a bit odd. I know it's something a lot of people obviously do but it's never really clicked with me.

If I go out somewhere it's generally more because I want the place to change me, either in mood or memory or something like that. Ties in with the idea of no coherent sovereign self, not looking to impose the self on the world or declare ownership over it but rather looking for new things to incorporate into the self. Like adding more bits to a recipe or something.

It's not universal but it's definitely how I look at most interactions with the world, and often with people, though it depends on the person, obviously you don't want to get bits of tory in your soul or anything.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Yes. It will show that in general (exception: hi Haiti!) they were actually quite rare and generally swiftly crushed. Turns out that with sufficiently brutal and effective oppression, violence is not the normal reaction because even oppressed people still want to remain alive.

Like, plenty of violence was threatened and perpetrated, sure. Mostly not by black people, though.

To be clear, we are agreeing, right? The default reaction to oppression is to try violence _and have it fail_. Every so often you get a Toussaint (or a Trotsky) on your side and win, but even that helps less than you would think.The circumstances that enabled the oppression probably haven’t worked themselves out while you were playing at soldiers.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

radmonger posted:

To be clear, we are agreeing, right? The default reaction to oppression is to try violence _and have it fail_. Every so often you get a Toussaint (or a Trotsky) on your side and win, but even that helps less than you would think.The circumstances that enabled the oppression probably haven’t worked themselves out while you were playing at soldiers.

No, the default reaction is not to try violence in the first place because you know it will fail, which is a different statement. For it to succeed, it does in fact need to be organised, which is directly opposite to what you assert. As you say, succeeding may or may not end up being an improvement...but there's a reason eg why modern France is a democracy and not ruled by an absolutist Bourbon monarchy, and it's not because the people of France in 1789 staged sit ins and signed petitions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Absolut Bourbon Monarchy is the worst mixed drink.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

Sometimes it's better to light a candle than curse the gas leak.

Pictured: the downside of gas heating

The upside, meanwhile, is... uh... um...

sorry not sorry this is a pet peeve of mine and i'll die on this hill :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

More energy efficient than burning the gas and turning it into electricity first.

But that's more of an argument for nuclear power than gas heating.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh it doesn't have to be personified for me to call it my nemesis and claim victory. Anymore than the Matterhorn is to climbers :p
Climbing a mountain (a real one, where you can't feel the air at the back of your throat at the top) and lifting up a rock at the top to add to the cairn definitely feels like an achievement. It's probably lack of oxygen combined with a primal sense of height. Or at least a better sense of ownership than what we currently have.

Feeling cute, might huff lighter gas and piss on a lamppost to own the street later.

OwlFancier posted:

Absolut Bourbon Monarchy is the worst mixed drink.
Anarcho-capitalist vodka is literally a bittle of piss but you agreed to it on page 572 of the contract.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

radmonger posted:

IMHO the default is not to try the hard option of violence, where committing to it results in your death and your family's death. The default is to firstly do nothing, the next option is non violent protest. I think the reason you believe what you do is because most of those occasions in history were brutally destroyed. I mean, try find some evidence of non-violent protest by plebs or slaves in Rome? There's evidence of Spartacus though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

Again even the idea of that's a bit odd. I know it's something a lot of people obviously do but it's never really clicked with me.

If I go out somewhere it's generally more because I want the place to change me, either in mood or memory or something like that. Ties in with the idea of no coherent sovereign self, not looking to impose the self on the world or declare ownership over it but rather looking for new things to incorporate into the self. Like adding more bits to a recipe or something.

It's not universal but it's definitely how I look at most interactions with the world, and often with people, though it depends on the person, obviously you don't want to get bits of tory in your soul or anything.

Ah, so you're Zetetic Elench. Now I understand.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Ah, so you're Zetetic Elench. Now I understand.

I'm glad you made that reference because I've been deliberately avoiding it for several posts now :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

The Question IRL posted:

There is an Episode of How I Met Your Mother all about this.
:laffo: forever

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

"There's an episode of Young Sheldon about this"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Honestly it's an interesting concept to me because I absolutely find the situation Peterson has ended up in funny.

That doesn't mean I enjoy his suffering, although I understand why you would think that. It's more that his own toxic worldview led him down a path that exposed him to the consequences of that toxic worldview.

As a, likely terrible, analogy, if someone was arrogantly bragging about how great they are at skateboarding, and telling people off for warning them about their dangerous plans for sliding down a railing, I think it's perfectly normal to, as a first response, laugh when they lose the board and land balls-first on the railing and slide down while high-pitched screaming.

When they subsequently, perhaps due to the previous ball-induced pain, come off the railing and land head first, killing them... yes, absolutely that's not what you wanted to happen.

But c'mon, them accidentally pain-screaming ave maria was hilarious for those initial 10 seconds.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

I_Socom posted:

Random question to the thread as you’re probably best placed to answer. I’ve got a load of old CDs and DVDs I want to get rid of. Music Magpie (etc) aren’t really offering much - probably not worth carting them down the post office for the amount I’ve been offered. Is there anywhere better I can take them other than the tip? I’m loathe to just chuck them away but the local library don’t want them, and I’m not sure if any of the charities are after this sort of stuff either. I’d be quite happy to donate them for free to anywhere that will use them!

Any ideas?

If you have a local you like with a jukebox or DJ, they're supposed to physically own all the music they put on their jukebox or that their DJ can use, so donations are usually quite appreciated.

Of course, how many venues actually follow the law on this on don't just assume they'll never be pulled up for copyright infringement is another story.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Honestly it's an interesting concept to me because I absolutely find the situation Peterson has ended up in funny.

That doesn't mean I enjoy his suffering, although I understand why you would think that. It's more that his own toxic worldview led him down a path that exposed him to the consequences of that toxic worldview.

As a, likely terrible, analogy, if someone was arrogantly bragging about how great they are at skateboarding, and telling people off for warning them about their dangerous plans for sliding down a railing, I think it's perfectly normal to, as a first response, laugh when they lose the board and land balls-first on the railing and slide down while high-pitched screaming.

When they subsequently, perhaps due to the previous ball-induced pain, come off the railing and land head first, killing them... yes, absolutely that's not what you wanted to happen.

But c'mon, them accidentally pain-screaming ave maria was hilarious for those initial 10 seconds.

Though as I think the question has an element of scale, it's still funny that professional and widely published nazi agitator jorbo bee movie peen0rson triumphantly willed himself into a coma even if he ends up dead at the end.

If he was less of a harmful person by existing it wouldn't be, but he's genuinely garbage so it is.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Lol, somehow after all my lib-baiting and abuse toward blueticks, my first Twitter violation is for discussing self-harm, by way of a Four Lions reference about punching yourself in the face.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Ms Adequate posted:

I revel in it, because it means that every day I survive this hell is another victory over Creation.

Yes, existence sucks and is filled with suffering, and I want as much of it as possible. gently caress the universe and all its suffering, I'm going to eke out whatever enjoyment I can and endure all the rest, this bitch is going to have to try a little harder if she wants ME to stop existing*.

* Big talk does not apply to sufficiently severe cluster headaches

Extreme CBT energy coming off this post

OwlFancier posted:

jorbo bee movie peen0rson

Thank you for topping Jorts Peenertron with this :v:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

Because having empathy for someone, even someone who would not do the same if the roles were reversed, is what makes you a good person.

It’s easy (if not intoxicating) to imagine that your enemies are so wicked, so undeserving of sympathy that you would be justified in inflicting violence upon them. And even putting aside the whole “an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind” way of thinking.

Just wishing violence upon your enemies puts you in the same dark (metaphorical) pit that they are likely stuck in. The hardest, but healthiest, thing is to just not hate them.

There is an Episode of How I Met Your Mother all about this.

This is one of the most perfect examples of bathos I’ve ever seen. And I generally like HIMYM.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

:laffo: that they literally came out and said this is to keep the home office from getting its grubby hands on their hires

Also, I couldn't help but notice the bit on cutting the pointless science fiction essay impact statement out of grant applications, which if it actually happens may turn out to be my price for putting up with this poo poo country a little bit longer :argh:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Eat your heart out, Jo Swinson:

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1228082578625789957?s=20

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Grimey Drawer

suck my woke dick posted:

:laffo: that they literally came out and said this is to keep the home office from getting its grubby hands on their hires

Also, I couldn't help but notice the bit on cutting the pointless science fiction essay impact statement out of grant applications, which if it actually happens may turn out to be my price for putting up with this poo poo country a little bit longer :argh:

Can an economy be propped up solely by theoretical mathematicians (not mathematicians that are theoretical but... gently caress it). Because, in desperation, that appears to be what we're going for. We're going to become the world leader in science and somehow everyone, including non-scientists, are going to benefit.

This is going to be 'learn to code' all over again isn't it. Only now it's 'learn to do theoretical maths'. I loving hate maths.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Well, to quote Britane's--in my opinion--most insightful philosopher,

Neil Tennant posted:

The sons and brothers, fighting for another cause, anything to give their lives some meaning--busy with their guns and dreaming. Far away from here, said they would act in self-defense.

And all the others, running 'round so hot and bothered, anything to give their lives some meaning in the evening. Running around with guns and said they would act in self-defense, with violence.

Violence, violence. Violence breeds violence.

So please, sons and brothers, put down your guns and your dreaming.

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 14, 2020

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Brace yourself goons, it's gonna get real wet over the weekend.

If you live in Devon and you get any flood warnings, that was me. I'll try work in a 'stairs' comment or something.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Labour International nominated Starmer and Rayner.

First Round

RLB 41.2%
Nandy 10.5%
Starmer 42.6%
Thornz 5.8%

Second Round

RLB 44.9%
Starmer 53.8%

https://www.opavote.com/results/6507531625037824

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

conveniently ignoring the power of jorb's meat-fed jungian stoicism there, "doctor" coolcab

The man was promoting a meat only diet to tackle depression. This sent him into depression and now he is a vegetable.

(not mine, sadly)

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

conveniently ignoring the power of jorb's meat-fed jungian stoicism there, "doctor" coolcab

jor-b and borj
jor-b and borj

(to the tune of Rosie and Jim)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Well, to quote Britane's--in my opinion--most insightful philosopher,

So please, sons and brothers, put down your guns and your dreaming.
More like Neil Landlord with that attitude imo

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

More energy efficient than burning the gas and turning it into electricity first.

But that's more of an argument for nuclear power than gas heating.

It's even more of an argument for district heating, hot water pipes don't explode like gas pipes or cause fires like high-current electrical connections.

Of course you'll still need one or both into your house to cook with unless you really fancy sous-vide toast.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You could make the toast with nuclear power too. Place a subcritical hemisphere of plutonium either side of a round of bread.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Comrade Fakename posted:

Why isn't it bigger news that apparently lobsterman himself Jordan Peterson is in a coma and may have suffered permanent brain damage because he tried to cold-turkey off benzos in Russia?

e: Whoa, cool snipe. 62 is the number of Chaos Dragons tormenting JP's soul in limbo.

He was already permanently brain damaged before this

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

suck my woke dick posted:

The impact statement bit actually worries me a little. In the past everyone I know (including panel members for a few grants) used to say 'as long as you have something in there we basically ignore it when making the funding decision'. I think the point is that now, impact goes in the case for support, which means it's part of the proposal proper and can't really be isolated.

Also, I would very much enjoy watching this:

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1228250983865765888

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

You could make the toast with nuclear power too. Place a subcritical hemisphere of plutonium either side of a round of bread.

Pfffft if your toaster isn't using supercriticality to flash-toast the bread, i don't want to know

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

She's off the ballot so it would be weird as hell but not in a good way, she'd play nice with everyone as she'll still want a career afterwards and novara wouldn't press her on anything for the same reason. I don't see what you'd expect to get from it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Pfffft if your toaster isn't using supercriticality to flash-toast the bread, i don't want to know
lol if you're not detonating hydrogen bombs in gigantic underground caverns and running the exhaust gas past racks of bread in a controlled manner.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guavanaut posted:

lol if you're not detonating hydrogen bombs in gigantic underground caverns and running the exhaust gas past racks of bread in a controlled manner.

Skip the underground caverns step and just burn the hydrogen chemically next to the bread.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
See now we've just gone full circle back to coal gas.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Speaking of... no there's no good segue, I got the job :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Speaking of... no there's no good segue, I got the job :)

Well I sure hope it wasn't a segue-writing position :colbert:

(Congrats buddy)