Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
So excited for this!

I have seen most seasons and actually just finished watching Heroes versus Villains for the first time this year, and now I get all the stupid gimmicks that followed since as they tried to recapture the pinnacle of awesome that that season was.

Could this season be as good? Maybe, if extinction island doesn't gently caress it up. It looks different already though. I agree with a lot of posters that say it should end before the jury.

It was so impressive watching Rob work, wow that guy is way better than I remember. BUT why, in this tribe full of experienced players, do they vote out a challenge beast like Nat first? Like, there were zero conversations about worries over voting out strength and losing more challenges. How did that not even come up?

Very looking forward to this season! Go Parvati!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Oh man, if you haven't listened to the RHAP Know It Alls for this episode, it's worth it if for nothing more than the Shane Powers rant about 18 minutes in.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Mirotic posted:

If the season keeps this up, it might tie HvV (although there's no Russell to destroy at the end... yet).

derp posted:

I have seen most seasons and actually just finished watching Heroes versus Villains ...

Could this season be as good?

FWIW, Jeff is on record saying it's better than "HvV". That doesn't necessarily mean anything, since he's banged the drum for seasons in the past that ended up being dreadful.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SweetJahasus posted:

Oh man, if you haven't listened to the RHAP Know It Alls for this episode, it's worth it if for nothing more than the Shane Powers rant about 18 minutes in.

is that the part where he tells everyone to shut the gently caress up? I gave it until after Kelly and Lauren but it was still unlistenable because of the constant chatter in the background.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

derp posted:

BUT why, in this tribe full of experienced players, do they vote out a challenge beast like Nat first? Like, there were zero conversations about worries over voting out strength and losing more challenges. How did that not even come up?

Probably because she was a challenge beast PLUS her strong relationship with Jeremy. Rob knows what a target he has on his back due to him and Amber so he’s taking that threat out early. Plus, you know these tribes won’t stay like this long, there will be a swap or two before the merge. These people started with loyalties to other players, not tribal loyalties that they currently have unlike other seasons.

I’m sure the other players will try to team up and blindside but if Rob and Parvati stick together they’re going to be a pretty drat unstoppable team.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That Know-It-Alls was a mess. Everyone was chattering in the background, a few people that came up to speak hadn't even watched the drat episode, and in the live stream the audio cut out about an hour in.

Shane was gold though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That sounds like one of their "live" ones? I kind of hate those. "Hate" is probably strong but I actually do listen because I enjoy hearing Rob and Fish talk the game. The live shows are just drunk Survivors being boring or extra who mostly didn't watch the show with bad audio. Which can be fun, sure, but isn't why I watch/listen.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
It is just so interesting watching all these winners be completely confused and fumbling around though. I felt Rob and Parvati's 'wtf is going on' reaction completely. Must be so weird for them when by default everyone is a threat.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Silly Burrito posted:

Probably because she was a challenge beast PLUS her strong relationship with Jeremy. Rob knows what a target he has on his back due to him and Amber so he’s taking that threat out early. Plus, you know these tribes won’t stay like this long, there will be a swap or two before the merge. These people started with loyalties to other players, not tribal loyalties that they currently have unlike other seasons.
Yeah, this is a cast that is gonna prioritize their own safety way over tribe strength. Natalie is a strong competitor, good player, won by playing from the bottom and working her way up, and has a strong ally in Jeremy who is a great player in his own right who she described as "blood."

Plus, they made for a convincing target for Rob & Parv to deflect attention off themselves. We're probably gonna see a lot of that. People painting big targets to hide their big targets. Hence "Poker Alliance."

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Raxivace posted:

That Know-It-Alls was a mess. Everyone was chattering in the background, a few people that came up to speak hadn't even watched the drat episode, and in the live stream the audio cut out about an hour in.

Shane was gold though.

Yeah it was unfortunate because what a great season premier it was. I was looking forward to rob and fishbachs thoughts.

This is going to be a great season though, it's such a unique format with so few weak links and even then Ben was able to recover and direct the vote the way he wanted.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Way too early prediction based entirely off gut feel: someone from the "Free Agent Alliance" (Yul, Sophie, Nick, Wendell) is going to win.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

derp posted:

It is just so interesting watching all these winners be completely confused and fumbling around though. I felt Rob and Parvati's 'wtf is going on' reaction completely. Must be so weird for them when by default everyone is a threat.

I loved that moment, partially because I feel like they're in the sweet spot of "normal Survivor strategy." The people from earlier seasons like Ethan are kinda out of their depth and some of the people from later seasons are just flying around with reckless abandon and struggling to navigate the increased importance of personal relationships when a bunch of the cast already knows each other.

The premiere was remarkably good, and the only thing tempering my excitement for this season is the gimmick stuff. Bringing back EOE was completely unnecessary in an all-winners season buuuuuut it gives me more Nat time so I can't be too mad about it

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Yes keeping everyone on screen is absolutely the reason they brought it back and it makes sense in that regard. Every cast member is someone's favorite. I just really hope they un-broke it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm actually a little interested in the fire tokens now. Are there only 20 (or 22 if you can use the ones on the skull) for the season or will more get added? If someone buys something with them are they gone forever or do they get put back in the game somehow like idols?

Also if I was on EoE early I feel like one token for a pizza would be really hard to pass up after a few days

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The token thing is really interesting now that we know they can be passed down from the eliminated players. It means not only can a really good social player net up a stash to use on an advantage but it means if you're picking off an alliance or group of outcasts you could be superpowering the last survivor.

Of course there's also the flip side that if you're the last person with no friends you gotta give someone you don't want to a gift.

I wonder what happens if someone with multiple tokens gets voted out. If you've got 4 tokens does someone get a huge cash in or do they just get reduced to 1?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

The token thing is really interesting now that we know they can be passed down from the eliminated players. It means not only can a really good social player net up a stash to use on an advantage but it means if you're picking off an alliance or group of outcasts you could be superpowering the last survivor.

Of course there's also the flip side that if you're the last person with no friends you gotta give someone you don't want to a gift.

I wonder what happens if someone with multiple tokens gets voted out. If you've got 4 tokens does someone get a huge cash in or do they just get reduced to 1?

I believe there was something that said you have to gift any of your tokens so I would assume if you have more than one then they all go to someone else. I don't remember if it implies that they all have to go to the same person so maybe you could split them as well.

Also, Tyson rules

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
That is so rad. He's up my list now xD

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

IcePhoenix posted:

Also if I was on EoE early I feel like one token for a pizza would be really hard to pass up after a few days

The jar of peanut butter is what jumped out at me as a good value in those circumstances

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

xbilkis posted:

The jar of peanut butter is what jumped out at me as a good value in those circumstances

it would be faster and safer for me to raise the flag if that's the way I was going

I am allergic to peanuts

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

xbilkis posted:

if the jar is unstealable, like idols/etc, that seems pretty great just stick it in your bag. it'll keep forever, too, unlike a pizza.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Haha Ben still sucks y’all. Sandra still the best. I loved Rob and Parv going ‘wait are we getting hosed?’ And Tyson heckling the women for falling out of the boat. This season is gonna be lit. I like that Michelle was pretty invisible, she’s gonna win again I guess?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lone Goat posted:

if the jar is unstealable, like idols/etc, that seems pretty great just stick it in your bag. it'll keep forever, too, unlike a pizza.

No idea how it would be. I can see the rules of the game preventing idol stealing but Rupert proved pirating can be done easily. You’d have to hide that peanut butter in your pants like beef jerky.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

STAC Goat posted:

From the end when they are voted out, there was chests of all the players that they put coins into. I assume, there would be nothing to prevent them from putting their coins in different chests to give out.

Also, if the EOE players are going to be selling advantages for coins (I guess anonymously for some reason), one can only assume that they must be planning on putting more coins into the game at some point.

As any MMO will tell you, you can't have a money sink without putting more into the game.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

STAC Goat posted:

I wanna say I really like Ethan too and even though he didn't do anything game wise to stand out I will be very angry/sad when he's inevitably voted out for being way too nice and likable and sympathetic and a huge jury threat.

ethan is definitely one of those people who seems like he'll be super loyal but too nice to be cutthroat, so what you said will probably happen. he'll stick with an alliance that goes fairly deep then he'll go out 5th or something because he never pissed anyone off and people can't go up against that with a jury that will surely have some scores to settle.

but i put him as my pony in a blind hope that the oldest (season-wise) winner somehow defies all expectations and plays everyone. because saying 'i won season 3 and season 40' would be a hell of a thing given how severely things have evolved.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
It looks like the tokens are just another way to brand the Ghost Island / Island of the Idols stuff. Each week there's an advantage and you have to do a task to get the advantage, it's just that now the task is mostly on Edge with the potential for a second bonus task if the player in-game doesn't have enough tokens already and has to scrounge.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I want to hate Yul but it's pretty cool he'll donate his winnings to ALS research.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The longer Yul stays in the game, the more I’d bank on him winning. He really seemed to have prepared for this quite a bit and he’s just so calculated about everything he says and does. Pulling that poker information out of nowhere was impressive as hell and I can only imagine what else he’s got up his sleeve if he’s going to that level of preparation.

Kim was mostly a victim of circumstance but she handled it so poorly. Sandra is just a god at taking any little thing she can find and drilling on it with such focus that it puts all minds on that one thing and off of her. In a weird way though, Kim folding like an accordion might help her in that she’s going to be viewed in a much lesser light because of it.

I was also impressed with how Adam managed to flip the reasoning people were kind of using to justify him or Denise onto Jeremy and Natalie. He freaked out for a second when it got mentioned to him and then basically said “how do I use this paranoia to my advantage” and brought up the closeness of Jeremy and Natalie. It was really well done.

Really interesting premier. I like the coins thing and I’m interested to see how it all plays out. I think it’ll get a little better once someone has a choice to make that’s not as clear cut as Natalie’s or Amber’s was.

Ben sucks though. That guy is completely useless.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I like Ben. He's not great at Survivor but he's more enjoyable on the screen than many.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
At first I was displeased that Ben was on but if he's gonna be a clown bumbling around with no idea what he's doing I'm OK with it. High chance he flames out JT in Heroes vs Villains or Game Changers style the way he's going.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Also, Tyson rules

This is perfect in every way. I am hoping Tyson makes it pretty far, he's too good to waste on extinction.

And right now, I think Ben actually is doing okay. His colossal doofery this early almost guarantees him that funky position of someone so bad he actually snakes by while juicier targets get put before him. Plus, as far as tribe idiots goes, we have had much worse.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Really excited for this season since outside of probably Ben it seems like anybody can win.

IcePhoenix posted:

Way too early prediction based entirely off gut feel: someone from the "Free Agent Alliance" (Yul, Sophie, Nick, Wendell) is going to win.

I'm thinking the same too. Doubt Yul gets to the end though since I don't think anybody wants to be sitting next to him.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Itd be pretty cool imo, a survivor first even, if a player ate their fire token(s) in order to hide them and then poo poo them out later when they needed them

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The fire tokens seem to work sort of like the garnets in The Genius. If this season turns out half as good as any of those, it’ll be amazing.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I just realised they probably didn't get the fire token "give to another player" idea from the Genius, but from fan favourite Sierra Dawn Thomas giving her advantage to Sarah, and that bums me out.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Anyone got a screengrab of the fire token menu from the camp and from EoE?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

nerox posted:

Anyone got a screengrab of the fire token menu from the camp and from EoE?

Last three on the EoE one are Bottle of Wine, Six Pack Cold Beer, and Hammock. Natalie and Tony didn't mention anything else when they were reading it off so that should be it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Some cool tidbits from Gordon Holmes of things not shown during the episode:

https://twitter.com/GordonHolmes/status/1227783305208254466

https://twitter.com/GordonHolmes/status/1227776215160889346

https://twitter.com/GordonHolmes/status/1227761099266756609

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Finally got to watch. Really enjoyed it.

I know a lot if it can be chalked up to nostalgia and recognizing everyone but haven't enjoyed one that much in a long time.

Rob looks like a chubbo but still kicked rear end in the challenges.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I would kill a cute animal for another season of the genius. why won't they make one WHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

They did show Nick on camera looking at the bottom of his while everyone laughed about it iirc