Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I'm having a lovely greenskins time with Green Iz Best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

My ikit claw campaign is snowballing in my favour, I've broken the back of the bretonnians and have 5 or 6 armies in the field that's carved up the western half of the old world, with the wood elves playing whack a mole with the baby armies that the empire and Brett's are throwing at the woodchipper, meanwhile I just move in, destroy a city, capture it and move on each turn.

Once brettonia and empire are crushed, and Archaon finishes ravaging the north of the empire and I take care of him, I'm going to turn on the wood elves.

Sorry friends, but you're just not skaven enough

Oh and Grimgor has almost completely taken the eastern half of the old world, only grombrindal is left and he's down in the deserts for some reason? Meanwhile the last defenders are waging war on the orcs - I thought they were in the new world?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

tithin posted:

Meanwhile the last defenders are waging war on the orcs - I thought they were in the new world?

Kroq'gar starts in the far Southeast corner of the Mortal Empires map. A very nice, easily defensible little spot.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I decided to restart the High Elves campaign (again on Easy difficulty for both modes), because I decided that I expanded too fast, and was stretched too thin. The guides I glanced at online made it sound like being flush with gold is vital for HE, so I focused on getting the Straits of Lothern decked out with money-making building, and I made it to the first step of all the Tier 3-5 buildings (the ones that can only be improved in Lothern proper).

I didn't manage to beat the Cult of Excess in time for the quest. I got a Pyrrhic victory against the one settlement northeast of Glittering Tower, but I couldn't actually get the army out.

What I'd like to know is:
  • Now that I have the option to recruit mages, from which magic lore should I recruit from first?
  • Apart from beating the Cult of Excess, what should I be looking to do? The only other quest I have is to go south and beat the Caledor guys, which I imagine will be difficult. I'm worried that if I missed the deadline for the Cult of Excess quest, then I'm taking too long
  • How should I build my army/armies? From what I read, it sounds like the best unit to have for High Elves is the Sea Guard with Shields, but I don't know if it's cost effective to just have them. The Archers are pretty effective, but I don't know which is a better choice: the regular archers or the lightly-armored archers.
  • What can I do to avoid the Vampire Pirates? In the game I abandoned, they seem like they're the biggest threat early on. Even in the abandoned game, I didn't encounter any of the other major factions.

In terms of the actual battles:
  • I try to fight battle where the odds gauge is in the center, but I still feel like I'm at a disadvantage. I feel like the number of units is where I have issue. Against fewer units, I do fine, but when I have to contend with more, my brain craps out, and I don't know how or where to move them. I understand the pre-battle set-up (infantry in front, archers behind, cavalry on flanks, and artillery in the back), but once that breaks down, I don't know how to swing things back around
  • I seem to have issues with ordering cavalry. I try to path them to curve around and hit the enemy in the flank, but they seem to get caught up on units and die/route easily. I get that the Ellyrian Reavers or whatever they're called are Shock Cavalry, and aren't meant to stay there, but it feels like you always have to be watching them.

Overall, I feel like I'm doing better, but I'm not sure.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Max Wilco posted:

So I decided to restart the High Elves campaign (again on Easy difficulty for both modes), because I decided that I expanded too fast, and was stretched too thin. The guides I glanced at online made it sound like being flush with gold is vital for HE, so I focused on getting the Straits of Lothern decked out with money-making building, and I made it to the first step of all the Tier 3-5 buildings (the ones that can only be improved in Lothern proper).

I didn't manage to beat the Cult of Excess in time for the quest. I got a Pyrrhic victory against the one settlement northeast of Glittering Tower, but I couldn't actually get the army out.

• Now that I have the option to recruit mages, from which magic lore should I recruit from first?
  • Apart from beating the Cult of Excess, what should I be looking to do? The only other quest I have is to go south and beat the Caledor guys, which I imagine will be difficult. I'm worried that if I missed the deadline for the Cult of Excess quest, then I'm taking too long
  • How should I build my army/armies? From what I read, it sounds like the best unit to have for High Elves is the Sea Guard with Shields, but I don't know if it's cost effective to just have them. The Archers are pretty effective, but I don't know which is a better choice: the regular archers or the lightly-armored archers.
  • What can I do to avoid the Vampire Pirates? In the game I abandoned, they seem like they're the biggest threat early on. Even in the abandoned game, I didn't encounter any of the other major factions.

• I try to fight battle where the odds gauge is in the center, but I still feel like I'm at a disadvantage. I feel like the number of units is where I have issue. Against fewer units, I do fine, but when I have to contend with more, my brain craps out, and I don't know how or where to move them. I understand the pre-battle set-up (infantry in front, archers behind, cavalry on flanks, and artillery in the back), but once that breaks down, I don't know how to swing things back around
  • I seem to have issues with ordering cavalry. I try to path them to curve around and hit the enemy in the flank, but they seem to get caught up on units and die/route easily. I get that the Ellyrian Reavers or whatever they're called are Shock Cavalry, and aren't meant to stay there, but it feels like you always have to be watching them.

Wrt combat, this guide is one people usually post here. Maybe give it a look, there are a lot of controls that aren't really surfaced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQ-y4Xomdw

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

If I buy any of the dlc do the units get added to the roster for all the Lord's, or just the one added with the pack?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

queeb posted:

If I buy any of the dlc do the units get added to the roster for all the Lord's, or just the one added with the pack?

All of them.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
There are a couple exceptions. Only Alarielle gets the wood elf tree friends, same with Arkahn the Black and his Vampires, but they're just added on from other factions to round out their gimmicks. Ikkit gets special units from his lab that no one else can use (except in custom battles), and Alith Anar gets super special shadow warriors no one else can use. The units advertised in most DLC's are for everyone in the faction though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mordja posted:

Wrt combat, this guide is one people usually post here. Maybe give it a look, there are a lot of controls that aren't really surfaced.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dQ-y4Xomdw

I think I've watched part of that series before, but I should probably review it.

If I can find the time, I'll record one of my replay and upload to YouTube as a reference.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Max Wilco posted:

That quest is optional, though it gives you an idea of how aggressive you can be, even early on. There's almost never any downside to being cautious and slow in Vortex.

Save before trying them out and use mages with access to spells you like. Toss a fireball and see if you like the swing in your odds when it impacts properly(I personally hate the spell because it crashes into every individual bump in the map en route.) Use a sweet, sweet shadow AoE debuff when the fronts meet and watch your guys coast to an easy victory(this is my default preference.) The only magic you "need" is magic you get good use out of. Though obviously you'll benefit from learning how to target and time the nukes like Lord Kroak or Winds of Death. Lord Kroak alone is like 20-30% of an auto resolve bar IMO but the game won't calculate that.

By default an army has a front and then something that wins the game, as there aren't many fronts that will do that at the same time they're occupied holding the line. You're High Elves so you lend yourself to a core of spear men and archers to support. Since from here everything else is down to preference you'll want to try new units as you get access to them and mostly run a balanced comp, like 1 Lord, 1 Melee Hero, 1 Caster Hero(you can skip this if the Lord can cast), 6-8 Frontline Fighters, 4-6 Ranged Support, 1-2 Artillery(you need one for easy siege access), and the rest for damage, usually. Early on you can just go for more archers, light cavalry or monsters, most Lords will start with one cool elite unit to play with. I think lightly armored archers are useless personally. If my ranged have to fight involuntarily I've usually been overpowered or made a big mistake. Why pay more gold to slightly mitigate it?

On Easy/Normal/Hard if you're growing at a steady clip it'll reduce the odds a hit and run faction like Vampirates will bother you. It can be a real hassle as High Elves(because all the factions are petty twits that go to war with each other) but if you can make 1-2 good friend factions that are also strong it discourages random attackers because your Strength Ratings go up and so on in Diplomacy. The absolute best protection against random incursions is to build walls in every minor settlement. You could also try to badger the Vampirates for Non-Aggression early on but aversions make that very unlikely AND it'll make enemies of everybody they do attack.

As for the actual nitty gritty of winning fights I've really enjoyed watching Zerkovich's series for new players. To summarize, lets assume you're fighting another High Elf or Dark Elf army. So you slam down 6 spearmen, they have 4 bleakswords/4 spearmen, whatever. Their front is a bit bigger. You have 6 archers, Lord/Melee Hero, a Mage, 2 artillery, starter phoenix and 2 cavalry. A really simple full stack for the early game. The rest of their army is Lord, Darkshards(armor pierce short range archers), and I dunno, something wild like an elite unit, Black Guards of Naggarond.

Line your guys up nicely, march them to meet(Alt + Mouse Drag and so on.) Pause/slow motion when you're getting close and make sure your Spears either come to a halt(to brace against Large) or get attack orders(red arrows) to the enemy so they charge them. A fast but less accurate way to do this is to set your front line up, select every unit in it, hit Ctrl + a number(so Ctrl + 1, hit 1, you select them all) and hit the lock icon for that group. Then select that group and right click the enemy front. This'll save you having to individually click 6+ engagements. Stop your archers short so they can fire(longer range), have your cavalry off to the side, they should be far enough out that the AI isn't veering off to engage them, keep your Lord/MeleeH with your front, keep your Mage close but not as close as Lord/MH. Soften with nukes if you got 'em, otherwise wait for the fronts to meet. Debuff the enemy or buff spells any spearmen who has a yellow/red sword engagement on their card. Individually select your Lord and Hero, pick them a yellow or green threat front line squad to crash into once the fronts meet. All this is just simple and clean match up making. I gave you a scenario where your front is smaller, so ideally you have 6 spearmen engage 6 of the enemy front. Your Lord and MH can each solo an enemy squad, or you can let one spearman hold 2. He'll become your new priority for assistance from cavalry/phoenix/archers/spells. A variation is that you might have your Lord/MH rush the enemy Lord if they're at the front, especially if the lines are stable. Another variation is that your front is bigger: do the same(1:1 your front to theirs) and have the extra keep going around the sides. Line up formation behind the enemy(draw your triangles facing their back, take a slightly wider path than you expect) and once they're roughly there do an a-click and smash 'em. Another another variant is the enemy has cavalry, so you hopefully have a big front and can spare 1-2 spearmen who just stand on the flanks and wait patiently, facing outwards from your ranged. If the enemy cavalry doesn't advance, they're doing their job.

After everybody charges into one another you have the fronts clashing. Make sure somebody is engaging and you know where those Black Guard are(or whatever the threat of the day is.) You can select your archers and have them focus fire targets of interest. They could weaken the BG before they engage or they can focus down the Darkshards 1-2 squads at a time until they rout. If all else fails, have them firing at will and standing in range to pepper stuff on the front. Pause/slo-mo and take your Phoenix and/or Cavalry, look at engagements, pick some backs to slam into. It's all about selecting small mini-battles in the greater battle and winning them. Zerk's #3 for Newbies, probably the single most important one.

Cavalry do require more micro but you can always pause/slo-mo at will until you get better at it. A big note for nuance in cavalry pathing is to hold Shift and Right Click down and draw the path with your mouse. They should only stick on units that get close enough to Charge to engage so wide paths or go around units that are currently fighting. You should always watch a surgical striking unit because most of them have great offense, average or worse defense. Exceptions are if they find enemy artillery/ranged that are isolated. You don't have to watch fights they can't lose too hard, though they might chase the enemy off and follow them.

Clean execution of battles will reward wildly better results than the auto-resolve suggests. From there keep steadily growing your tech tree, especially to address things your current army lacks. With High Elves you'll run into problems fighting Armor with early units inevitably, so White Lions are very necessary, who I'd set up in an army at like 4-6 Spears/2-4 Lions and have the Spears in the center and Lions on either flank to do the "run past and then eviscerate the enemy front from both ends" set up.

Practical experience and clean battles makes the biggest difference early on, there's also a good series on correcting newbie mistakes oriented towards multiplayer. The information crosses over very well with the campaign and other series and encourages newbies to be proactive in battles. Even mass ranged play in campaign benefits from this as just proper target focus fire can turn a 40/60 into a laughable decisive victory for you.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 13, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't remember this game crashing every fifteen to twenty turns.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So I'm used to playing with tabletop unit caps but in general for HE while lothern sea guard are great, they are expensive. Early on you can honestly just run with archers and spearman and a mage and be fine. My typical endgame stack is basically one of every hero because I'm a hero whore, phoenix guard for a frontline, a couple units of dragon princes, a dragon or two, and then archers. You win from your dragon princes and dragons while everyone else just holds the line.

As for magic for HE I really like Heavens at the moment. It is the swiss army knife of magical destruction, having a spell for every kind of unit, along with a great buff and debuff. Life is the other choice as it's very safe, letting your units stick around for so much longer. It's probably better when you're just learning, just focus on Earth Blood, Regrowth, and Shield of Thorns.

Some trap high elf units are white lions and silver helms. White Lions aren't worth their special building, while Silver Helms just...aren't good enough. Elyrian reavers are far superior early game cav especially because you can give them bows for no penalty to their melee stats.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 13, 2020

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Gort posted:

4. Sigmund doesn't have a worthwhile niche. Archaon's got his knights and Chosen buffs, the dragon ogre has his dragon ogres, Sigmund has marauders, which are trash you want to bypass as soon as possible. Maybe if you could get Marauder champions they'd be worth it, but you can't.

surely such sedition should sour and succumb to Sigvald!

(I came up with my own then realised I just re-wrote that line slightly differently without thinking :( )

as noted in the earlier reply to your post, sigvald becomes one of the few one-man army characters once he gets hold of his armour, and is significantly less vulnerable to cannonballs than kholek. that's usually worth the cost of admission, alongside the hellcannon to kick over early-game major towns.

Max Wilco posted:

I just figured that mods that tweak the gameplay might be deemed as 'cheating' by CA, so they'd disable achievements. One of the videos on TWW2 I was watching the other day featured a mod that gave you an extra point when your lord levels up, and that made me wonder if it was set up like that.

I use one of those (too many races for extra playthroughs) and it's fine.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
OP update:

I mucked around with the skaven post a little (retyping a lot of unit descs, updating globadiers, adding lore of plague) , I may have to move stuff to post 2 and delete the tww1-thread stuff or move it off-site and leave a link

also I'm fairly sure there's a max emotes per post which is loving over my strategy of putting :10bux: next to all the DLC units

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I've been playing Attila again, using Radious mod, as the Sassanids and I have a problem. Every time someone declares war on me a random selection of puppets secede. I can easily make peace and re-puppet them the next turn but it is very annoying. Does anyone know what causes a puppet to secede despite having like +600 positive relationship?

Also, playing Attila makes me really appreciate the changes in the later games, for example the end-of-turn thing that shows you which armies/agents haven't moved yet. Goddamn is it annoying having to scroll through everything every turn to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This is good. A couple of caveats:

I usually place my range in front of my melee and then rush melee through them when the enemy approaches while the range retreats a bit. It gives you a couple of extra volleys before contact. Makes sure your range doesn't end too close to your melee or they will be unable to shoot.

Also, using your cav to "peel" units away from the approaching army is very useful. Just have your cav hang around near the approaching enemy line and some enemies will (slowly) go for them, and you can run circles around the infantry and crash into the main army when the lines meet. Your (Tyrion's) silver helms are unshielded, so avoid the enemy's range. Unless, of course, they make the mistake of chasing you only with range, so you can charge them and remove a unit from the battle early on.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The secret to chaos is that norscans always confederate if one of their faction leaders beats another, and also, they will always vassalize to chaos for peace if you defeat their LL. So you march across awakening and vassalizing everyone and don’t give a gently caress if one of your vassals goes down, because you’ll eventually beat their new overlord and end up with a better vassal anyway. End result is almost all one big Throg or Wulfrik that is your vassal.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 13, 2020

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Kill Archaon
5 turns later, he's back with a full 20 stack?

How many times do I need to kill this guy to get him to go away

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

queeb posted:

getting dlc lets you use the units in general

the ai always gets to used those units/factions/etc tho.

JBP posted:

I don't remember this game crashing every fifteen to twenty turns.

it makes me video driver crash every so often, if only in the campaign screen

which, lemme tell you, having everyone hang for a few seconds, turn into rainbows and then fix itself does not endear me to playing this for long

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Max Wilco posted:

High Elves....

[list]
[*] Now that I have the option to recruit mages, from which magic lore should I recruit from first?

Don't look for lore, look for mages with the Administrator trait. They cost 30 influence in addition to the gold, I believe. This trait reduces the cost of your buildings and also construction time by 30%. One is nice, when you get two that's super helpful, but when you get three administrators and park them in the same province, you can build things in one turn and practically for free.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Eimi posted:

My typical endgame stack is basically one of every hero because I'm a hero whore
Haha, you're the AI army I hate the most. :argh:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man they really did go ham on the end turn times eh? its like lightning fast now, i havent played in like a year +, this is great.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Yeah with elf Mages the traits are more relevant than the Lore itself. Administrator, Entrepreneur, and Incindeary are the three best I think- Administrator already mentioned, Entrepreneur gives a nice boost to both local and global income, and Incindeary makes their melee attacks do fire damage and gives crazy buffs to their melee Stats, which becomes especially great when you put them on a chariot and slam into enemies that have regeneration.

With Lords I like to get Punitive, which not only buffs all your ranged damage but LOWERS missile resist of all enemies. There's also a semi legendary White Lions lord who is a fun novelty.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

tithin posted:

Kill Archaon
5 turns later, he's back with a full 20 stack?

How many times do I need to kill this guy to get him to go away

I think 3?

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Arkhan the Black is a campaign that deserves a hard rating. Not sure I can do it on very hard difficulty. After killing the bretonnians you share a province with and killing the beastmen to get friendly with the dwarves. I chilled for like 25 turns just casually raiding Repanse while building up. Then I decided to kill Repanse. That went relatively well, but the very next turn the psycho Knights of Origo was like: "How dare you be close to our magnificent presence!!" They declared war and pulled in the other close remaining brettonian faction. 2 turns after I got swarmed by 6 mostly full armies as they all beelined for me. And they all reached me the same turn. Now 3 armies of brettonnian peasants are beatable by two basic tomb kings armies, but not two of those fights in the same turn. I got beat by brettonian peasantsl The humiliation! It is insane that they can support 3 armies from only one minor settlement. But the brettonnians are extra spammy because they don't pay more per extra army I guess.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

yikes! posted:

I'm having a lovely greenskins time with Green Iz Best

Mod is worth it just for making the goblin workshop tier 2 instead of 3. Locking greenskin research behind a tier 3 building severely cramps your ability to make varied armies in the early game. Spider Riders are okay but the true killer orc cavalry are the Squig Hoppers and you're not getting them until turn 30 at the earliest thanks to the workshop being tier 3 and you needing to research an assload of stuff before you get to unlock hoppers.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
My attempt at a legendary Noctilus campaign isn’t looking great. After Noctilis spent a few turns out of commission, I thought things might turn around once I got Queen Bess. Before that, I was even sloppy enough to get the Galleon’s Graveyard taken by Gehrhardt’s Mercenaries. I retook it, but still haven’t gotten it to tier 5 quite a while in.

I had a cove in Lothern giving me a lot of money until it was razed and occupied by Khemri. They were at war with me, so I thought I’d use the opportunity to take it. The High Elves were getting pushed in on a few fronts, and I thought I could take advantage. However, a few turns later Malekith declared war on me, being on good terms with Khemri. Noctilus and Queen Bess did well, having to fight off an army every turn, until another enemy reared it’s ugly head: The confusing geography of Lothern. Noctilus ended a circuitous path next to that lighthouse settlement when it was attacked by two Khemri armies out of nowhere. The map had the reinforcements come from a weird corner blocked off by a tower on a cliff. I lost my foothold in Ulthuan quickly after.

I have an army in the fully-upgraded major settlement at the southernmost point of Lustria currently besieged by Malus Darkblade, with Malekith a turn’s journey away. I’ve been alt-f4 scumming to try to fight him off, but I’ve been having trouble. Malus himself can solo the two Necrofex Colossi I have down there.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Having just beat a Legendary Noctilus campaign recently: I didn't hold territory beyond the Graveyard on a permanent basis. I would sometimes temporarily take land to help with replenishment far from home base so that my armies could knock more cities over, but I never intended to hold it. By the end of the game I ended up with three armies, all with shipbuilding lords. One defended the Graveyard and attacked nearby targets of opportunity, the other two sailed further away razing settlements and establishing coves. Inevitably the raiding armies are destroyed, but by the mid/late game you can recruit a new army thats nearly as good as soon as your lord is back.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Another thing that confuses me about Lothern’s geography: Sometimes it gets besieged from the sea and I attack with an army I have garrisoning it, but the city garrison doesn’t reinforce it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't think garrisons can reinforce sea battles, which is technically what you're doing when you sally forth to attack a Black Ark or a transporting army just off the coast.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't think garrisons can reinforce sea battles, which is technically what you're doing when you sally forth to attack a Black Ark or a transporting army just off the coast.

They can't. I think they might be able to initiate them though. Selecting the settlement and sallying that way might work with them as the primary and your army as the reinforcements.

Probably related to the way Black Arks can't reinforce a ground assault but can be reinforced by allied ground troops if the Ark imitates the attack.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Gort posted:

2. Tribes I've reawakened shouldn't be able to confederate out of being a vassal with me! It means you have to wipe out every non-vassalised Norscan tribe (not the guys across the sea though, for some reason they don't seem interested in confederation) if you want to keep your vassals, and while you're doing it your vassals might randomly decide to join the tribe you're already fighting.

Agreed

quote:

3. It takes way longer to get Archaon than the other two legendary lords, so start with him.

4. Sigmund doesn't have a worthwhile niche. Archaon's got his knights and Chosen buffs, the dragon ogre has his dragon ogres, Sigmund has marauders, which are trash you want to bypass as soon as possible. Maybe if you could get Marauder champions they'd be worth it, but you can't.

The point of Sigvald is that he has a fast start and allows you to come straight down into Kislev rather than going to play in Norsca first and even if you don't want to do that he still has a strong early game. +3 growth is just very good starting off and surprisingly good later on, and the Marauder Infantry may be trash, but Marauder Horsemen with throwing axes and Marauder Horsemasters are both very good until the very late game. And a hellcannon lets him break walls (I don't think Archaeon has Siege Attacker at all).

He also has far and away the best faction effects of any of the three choices. +15 leadership vs humans is good across the board, diplomatic relations vs Norsca again enables a different start to the other two as well as making your vassals less likely to try and break away, and bonus armour for embedded lords and heroes is very nice. Meanwhile a recruitment reduction cost doesn't mean much, and both the other Lords have a penalty.

The other advantage of starting as him is that once you open up Dragon Ogres you then recruit Kholek to lead that stack as it won't need much more growth at all and you can do unfriendly Shaggoth things to people with only Route Marcher from blue. Meanwhile Sigvald brings his personal 8 growth/turn (3 personal and 5 from 3 dots in the blue line) to building up your second stack into a tier 5 with great buildings. Archaeon's going to take that over of course (and like Kholek he'll knock over the marauder camp as soon as he takes it over - and he can focus on red and yellow lines).

Sigvald as a Lord you recruit later on is the weakest legendary lord - but there are very good reasons to make him your first LL and the one running the whole show. It's not a battlefield niche but it's definitely a campaign niche.

quote:

5. Dwarfs are definitely the toughest early-game opponents, get as many armour-piercing units as you can to make them a lot more manageable. Skaven are about twice as tough as any other opponent.

See Marauder Horsemasters (throwing axes) for dwarves in the early game. Skaven get quite a bit easier except in siege battles if you've enough cavalry to ride down fleeing rats and to rush down their artillery.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is the dwarf start significantly harder now? I can barely break out of silver peak or whatever because everytime I travel the couple of turns it takes to get somewhere else I've got stacks and stacks of orcs coming in.

I feel like I should just smash and grab stuff while I build up to walls for everything it's nuts.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

JBP posted:

Is the dwarf start significantly harder now? I can barely break out of silver peak or whatever because everytime I travel the couple of turns it takes to get somewhere else I've got stacks and stacks of orcs coming in.

I feel like I should just smash and grab stuff while I build up to walls for everything it's nuts.

yeah it can be pretty tough, you're basically completely surrounded in the silver road and dwarf units & abilities havent kept pace with power creep, especially ranged like skaven

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ammanas posted:

yeah it can be pretty tough, you're basically completely surrounded in the silver road and dwarf units & abilities havent kept pace with power creep, especially ranged like skaven

That's annoying. It's very much not fun.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

JBP posted:

That's annoying. It's very much not fun.

The fun is the challenge of beating the filthy ungi and grobi and exterminating their disease from the world

right now my legendary sfo thorgrim campaign has me defending my hold against half-dozen stacks of disgusting rats and im gonna drop so much explosives on their loving faces

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Babylon Astronaut posted:

There are a couple exceptions. Only Alarielle gets the wood elf tree friends, same with Arkahn the Black and his Vampires, but they're just added on from other factions to round out their gimmicks. Ikkit gets special units from his lab that no one else can use (except in custom battles), and Alith Anar gets super special shadow warriors no one else can use. The units advertised in most DLC's are for everyone in the faction though.

Are the wood elf friends upgradable via tech/skills? Not sure if I want the DLC or not, don't want units that are only a gimmick

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 14, 2020

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Not meaningfully, but the most important part of that DLC is sisters of avelorn, which are insanely good and a HE doomstack spam unit.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Are the wood elf friends upgradable via tech/skills? Not sure if I want the DLC or not, don't want units that are only a gimmick

Alarielle has skills that buff them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

JBP posted:

I feel like the big difficulty for the Karaz-a-Karak start is definitely those early few turns when you're trying to figure out which direction your biggest threats are going to come from. Your units are definitely tough though, you can reliably trounce any orc-stack that heads your way. Definitely consolidate your strength in your first province and then push outwards. Your money game as Dwarves is strong and just gets stronger.