Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Using Python pip is equivalent to downloading something off of CNET, assume everything is either badly written or malicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/rickwierenga/status/1223563155902693376

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/farmerchris/status/1224550710836113408

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

A lot of people in that twitter thread proudly asserting that the app is vulnerable to SQL injection, but it's not clear from this whether or not that's the case. It's unclear whether the app uses user input naively (in which case it is vulnerable), or takes steps (e.g. parameterised queries) to ensure that SQL injection isn't possible. I don't know how likely it is that you would be able to easily get a fully-formed query back as a string if prepared statements were used, and it's not clear what RDBMS is being used.

Regardless, it's obviously awful for several reasons to blurt out the query to the user when something goes wrong. (Debug behaviour in release?) It's just weird to read all those people who are quite certain that SQL injection is possible when that doesn't seem to be something one can deduce from the screenshot alone.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hammerite posted:

A lot of people in that twitter thread proudly asserting that the app is vulnerable to SQL injection, but it's not clear from this whether or not that's the case. It's unclear whether the app uses user input naively (in which case it is vulnerable), or takes steps (e.g. parameterised queries) to ensure that SQL injection isn't possible. I don't know how likely it is that you would be able to easily get a fully-formed query back as a string if prepared statements were used, and it's not clear what RDBMS is being used.

Regardless, it's obviously awful for several reasons to blurt out the query to the user when something goes wrong. (Debug behaviour in release?) It's just weird to read all those people who are quite certain that SQL injection is possible when that doesn't seem to be something one can deduce from the screenshot alone.

Tweet is gone. :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It was a screenshot of an error with a full SQL query with table names and joins. It's a big red flag for SQL vulnerabilities, but it doesn't guarantee them of course. But it's a terrible sign that you can even tell SQL is being used. It's hard to say if they are ankle deep or neck deep in poo poo, but we can at least rule out any non-poo poo situation.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Nth Doctor posted:

Tweet is gone. :(

It was a screenshot of an error message from an app. The error message was displayed over a login page with a header that said it had something to do with registered voters in... Iowa? Ohio? Something like that. The error message consisted of "User not found" and then the text of an SQL query.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Hammerite posted:

It was a screenshot of an error message from an app. The error message was displayed over a login page with a header that said it had something to do with registered voters in... Iowa? Ohio? Something like that. The error message consisted of "User not found" and then the text of an SQL query.

Fuckin' YIKES :stonk:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the tweet was obvious enough and deleted fast enough that i think it was a spoof, but the app was indeed very bad. multiple caucusers said that it would lose all entered information when the display slept so they had to remember to keep touching their phones to keep them awake.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The account is now protected and has the name "Bobby Tables" lol

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Printing out a full query string with ?s in it probably means that it doesn’t have classic SQL injection problems, actually, because the naive way of constructing SQL by appending strings doesn’t lend itself to that kind of debug output.

On the other hand, it could well mean that the app is sending raw queries to the database, which isn’t an “SQL injection” as I learned the term but is still a really big problem.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Someone in the secfuck thread said screenshot was not from the dumpster fire app they failed to count last night's caucus results with, but a different app from the same company from some other year's election. People also pointed out that the visual style was iOS circa 2013-14.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CPColin posted:

The account is now protected and has the name "Bobby Tables" lol

:golfclap:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Hammerite posted:

It was a screenshot of an error message from an app. The error message was displayed over a login page with a header that said it had something to do with registered voters in... Iowa? Ohio? Something like that.

lmao... oh buddy...........

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I sent the screenshot, so here it is, preserved for posterity.

e: Genuine screenshots by somebody who seems to know what they're talking about.
https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1224758442776129536

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 4, 2020

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Edit: I'm dumb

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 4, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Read the article. That error screen shows up when you try to enter the Google Authenticator 2FA.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I can't help but think they'd have had fewer problems sending a Google Forms link to a bunch of pre-registered email addresses.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Maybe, but that might make it harder to justify 5 figures worth of consultant fees.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Plus people would make fun of them, but we'd know who won last night instead of this afternoon.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/kf/status/1224768660138446848

https://twitter.com/ysaw/status/1224561186605125632

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

duz posted:

Maybe, but that might make it harder to justify 5 figures worth of consultant fees.

Cheap consultants!

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Ya uh what happened here is obvious. Said company got hella tax credits and other funding, the management transferred those funds to their respective bmw/audi dealership, perhaps to the ol' musky too, and then hired the cheapest 'team' they could to poo poo out the eternal mvp.

Iowa is really bad about it, don't ask ...

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

JawnV6 posted:

Having worked on the silicon side, rust whining about ‘silicon bugs’ strikes me as incredibly immature. Calling their own misunderstanding of speculative execution someone else’s bug.

They're certainly wrong about Darwin platforms. The `clock_*(CLOCK_MONOTONIC)` functions are true monotonic counters, at least on Apple hardware.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
My favorite example of that class of bugs is GTA... 3? I think? They eschewed the OS platform calls and just used rdtsc directly. On AMD platforms at the time, when a thread hopped cores or any DVFS shenanigans occurred the naive approach wouldn't notice. Time would go backwards, relatively speaking, and it led to a very Yakety Sax inspired gameplay with animations jerking wildly back and forth.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Xik posted:

Hold up I'm just grabbing this tiny violin for all these massive for-profit organizations relying on this dude's hobby project and his volunteer time.

After he said it wasn't worth his time no one from these big companies complaining about their static analysis tools replied saying "we will make it worth your time" $$$.

Have a look at the dudes activity, he has been working solid on open source stuff for like 10 years, but in the last 9 months has tapered off. Probably got a life or had a family or whatever.

Not sure where you got the impression that all the users are major corporations, but okay.

The dude spent more time writing a snarky comment on GitHub than it would have taken to accept the fix that someone else already made for his lovely code.

And yeah obviously everyone could just fork the repo but how can you possibly think that's a suitable solution?

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
They could pay whoever maintains it if they depend on it that much. :capitalism: I'm no javascript ninja, but there's a history of pull requests to fix vulnerabilities, and he probably just went 'gently caress it, I've got other stuff to do instead of fixing all of this poo poo I wrote' at one point. There's nothing compelling him to do so other than having some warm fuzzy feeling about open source software and 'contributing' to the 'community'.

Of course the smart thing to do in any case is to not use node. Problem solved.

E: I mean, getting paid and oss aren't mutually exclusive. poo poo, RMS's first draft said that you couldn't charge for distributing gpl software, then he realized tapes and postage costs loving money and totally reneged on that point.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 5, 2020

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hammerite posted:

I named my street the empty string as a joke and now the postal service sends all the mail with unreadable addresses here, it's blowing in to my garden and making a mess

This actually happened to an American who chose "NULL" as a vanity license plate number. Had something like $5000 in parking tickets mailed to his house

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/StevenXClontz/status/1228317055331569664

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

TBF, they're not going to get the test admin people to change their rules by arguing that they already spent a bunch of money developing this feature

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I was just reminded of a thing I worked with some time ago, and I feel sharing it with you people would help me cope.

Can you spot all the horrors?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Bonus

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
What's the difference between a compiler if and a plain if?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Preprocessor vs. runtime, I would assume.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

pokeyman posted:

What's the difference between a compiler if and a plain if?

That is the least horrific part.

The "runtime" is MSI though, which is entirely table based. I think any turing-completeness is done via injecting dlls via so-called custom actions. MSI in general feels like "RPM, But Worse™"

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Antigravitas posted:

The "runtime" is MSI though, which is entirely table based. I think any turing-completeness is done via injecting dlls via so-called custom actions. MSI in general feels like "RPM, But Worse™"

:cry:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You can't type freely in the IDE btw., programming is done via drag&drop of the modules on the right. If you dare to type it autocompletes into the modules on the right and presents a modal dialogue for you to add options. What's shown in the "code" hides a lot of those option.

The source files created by the IDE are not human-readable and they get reshuffled seemingly at random, so putting them into version control is frustrating as hell.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Has been a long week.

Been fighting scripts written in python, poorly, tryiing to match the requirements of these scripts with libraries like TensorFlow and OpenCV. Having to use virtual enviroments and docker images to make these scripts happy.

After a lot of pain and misery I have developed the need to make a hot take:

Python can fuckt itself with a hot iron bar. gently caress all the people that work with python and neglect the concept of facade when updating libraries.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hot take: python is cool and good and docker is the right way to solve the problem you are having.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Tei posted:

Has been a long week.

Been fighting scripts written in python, poorly, tryiing to match the requirements of these scripts with libraries like TensorFlow and OpenCV. Having to use virtual enviroments and docker images to make these scripts happy.

After a lot of pain and misery I have developed the need to make a hot take:

Python can fuckt itself with a hot iron bar. gently caress all the people that work with python and neglect the concept of facade when updating libraries.

Python is great actually, as are the concept of virtualenvs and Docker. It's failed to solve the "how do we force bad programmers to write good code?" problem, but then so has every other language. Find me the language where your scripts (written by an incompetent developer) would have been easy to update and I'll use that for the rest of my life