Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
my fortress Edie has been getting her rear end critted multiple times per map and I don't have enough Divine Pulses to save everyone :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Zerker ededgard is bad compared to fortress, you need a tank. Just give her a non axe to handle any assassins.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Jade Mage posted:

People are sleeping on fortress knight Edelgard. Both DLC missions 1 and 2 I can plunk her down in choke points and grind the chaff mercilessly against her shield. So far my incredibly slow and steady playstyle was only complicated by one scythe wielding nutcase popping into the centre of my formation and me having to put him down before he gets to move.

It may help that I did this as a break from chapter 19 AM maddening

Yeah fortress edelgard has sucked at hurting anything (nice sub-40 hit chances, edelgard) but when most enemies fail to do more than 1-2 damage to her (or crit for 3-6) it really takes a load off, while constance, claude, and hapi pick off everything via canto (and sometimes Ashe too)

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah fortress edelgard has sucked at hurting anything (nice sub-40 hit chances, edelgard) but when most enemies fail to do more than 1-2 damage to her (or crit for 3-6) it really takes a load off, while constance, claude, and hapi pick off everything via canto (and sometimes Ashe too)

Speaking of canto, I made Hilda a pegasus knight and it's been working well.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/DeathChaos25/status/1228138246347067395

Interesting. It seems that the entire playable cast have data in Cindered Shadows, but are left "unrecruited" so you can't access them. Out of the list, the most striking is Manuela, as she starts as an Assassin (her enemy class if unrecruited in the main game), but still has Priest and Bishop on hand. Maybe she was going to be part of the playable CS roster at one point in time?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Wait wait wait

Manuela can be an enemy? On what routes? And does this also go for the other church characters recruitable on any route?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Wait wait wait

Manuela can be an enemy? On what routes? And does this also go for the other church characters recruitable on any route?

Manuela and Hanneman show up in AM as enemies iirc.

Obv all the church is an enemy on CF. (I actually don't think Manuela and Hanneman show up if you don't recruit them.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Wait wait wait

She actually joins up with Edelgard if you don't recruit her. Same with Hanneman. They only show up in Dimitri's paralogue, though.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

indigi posted:

I had to restart mission 2 twice so far and still haven't beat it :(

First enemy phase, Aura crit on Hapi. That was just evil.

Anyway, if you're still stuck, reuniting the teams went a long way towards making things easier. I retreated the Wolves from the central platform during the second wave, then took it back with the entire team before the third.

Spoiler for fourth enemy phase:
Didn't beat the Death Knight, because I'd run out of Divine Pulses and it was past Lysithea's bed time. I figured Byleth just rolled their eyes and told the Ashen Wolves to ignore the guy, he'll go away eventually.

Anybody complaining about having too many Divine Pulses, this is the DLC for you. With all the surprises the maps like to throw at you, there's not even enough pulses to cover them all.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Wait wait wait

To add to what was said, if you don't recruit either Hanneman or Manuela and are on all non-CF routes, the pair will show up in the defense of Garreg Mach as the Warlock manning the Fire Orb (Hanneman) and the Bishop at the back of the starting point atop the stairs (Manuela). I did not know this until Ragnar Homsar's LP showed it off, as I recruited both in my playthroughs.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Even the teachers know Edelgard is right.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

indigi posted:

I wish I didn't have to drag Dimitri's broke rear end on the DLC missions. give me Annette or Dedue

e: and why were Linhardt and Hilda hanging out with Ashe of all people
put him in the Hero class, give him a killer lance, let him get the snot halfway beaten out of him/his battalion, and then use Ashe's gambit on him and watch as he revenge-crits the entire map.
Battalion Wrath and Vantage is a hell of a trip.

Tenebrais posted:

All three of them think they're babysitting the other two
lmao, I'm totally accepting that into headcanon

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Shocked that edelgard was right

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Manuela and Hanneman do show up as enemies on CF if you dont recruit them, so I guess they only decide edelgard is right if byleth doesn't.

Maybe they just really hate byleth for snubbing them.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Zore posted:

How is it contradicted by any Crimson Flower ending?

They're talking about the Edelgard/Lysithea ending which says they "both dedicated the rest of their lives to Fodlan's rule", implying Edelgard doesn't hand the throne over to a chosen successor as she elsewhere says she will. This is the only ending that does this and happens to be the one that Cythereal got, reinforcing their preconceived notion of "Edelgard is a terrible liar" lol. iirc two of Edelgard's endings do mention handing the throne to a successor (Hubert and her solo ending) while the rest don't say anything about it. I'm curious what the Edelgard/Lysithea ending says in Japanese because a lot of the endings had significant enough changes in localisation and I could see that sort of inconsistency creeping in there. Otherwise I'm willing to just call this bad, inconsistent writing rather than proof Edelgard is a dishonest power-hungry schemer desperately clinging onto power.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

She can work in politics without being the emperor

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the 'rule' bit definitely seems like something that could be slipped in in translation. If the original says something like they both kept working in politics or both kept working to improve Fodlan it'd be easy for a translator to go 'oh, Edelgard is the empress' and put in 'rule' there. A lot of game translation is done with minimal context, and different branches of the games dialogue (supports, endings, teatime conversations) were probably done by different people. You can see that sort of inconsistency pop up in other FE games, like how the name of Pegasi/Wyverns often change around if they're referenced multiple times.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I know there are parts of that ending card that are mistranslated, but I can't remember the details beyond the specific line I've committed to memory.

EDIT: Actually, looking at the ending, "new Adrestian emperor" is probably referring to Edelgard's successor anyway. Why would Edelgard be referred to as the new emperor after 6 years?

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 14, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Jeus christ cindered shadows on hard does not gently caress around. I just beat Ch. 4 on the last turn of the limit, with no divine pulses left (spent all those about halfway through the map,) and with the enemy in hot pursuit the entire time. I had so many close calls there I still can't believe I actually won with no casualties. And there's so many reinforcements!!!

This is definitely the kind of difficulty I enjoy in fire emblem though. I'm really happy with this DLC so far.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/Amppelix/status/1228271139211735041

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
These DLC missions are really dang hard. It's strange but welcome that they've pulled a Lost Levels and just continued the difficulty curve from the end of the regular game. I've only finished the 4th mission, but all of them save for the 1st took me over an hour and burned up all my pulses halfway through.

I've got mixed feelings on the more varied styles of maps so far. I appreciate them trying something new, but a lot of the enemy reinforcements feel kind of cheap.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

'This contradicts the rest of the game.'
'No it doesn't.'
'I let myself get baited into this stupid discourse again *sigh*'
'wow, the second guy is an rear end in a top hat.'

???

More like the discourse never loving ending because no one can take criticism of a character who’s meant to be both right and wrong standing down.

The whole point of the game is that none of the main lords are wrong, but they aren’t entirely right either, in both their methods and beliefs. And yet, this thread dissolves into “Edelgard was right.” and “ok but Edelgard gay.” constantly.

That said gently caress Rhea.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ok, but edelgard gay tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no one's taking criticism poorly, i literally posted content that is actually in the game that supports a point people have made about edelgard before, and someone got mad

also

hopeandjoy posted:

That said gently caress Rhea.
trust me im trying

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

More like the discourse never loving ending because no one can take criticism of a character who’s meant to be both right and wrong standing down.
Why are we criticising the actions of fictional characters in the first place

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

no one's taking criticism poorly, i literally posted content that is actually in the game that supports a point people have made about edelgard before, and someone got mad

also

trust me im trying

well you can invite her to tea now

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Amppelix posted:

It's the only thing in my life worth doing.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Amppelix posted:

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Amppelix posted:

I mean, do you really want the folks defending the immortal tyrant with a god complex engaging with actual politics?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

CmdrKing posted:

I mean, do you really want the folks defending the immortal tyrant with a god complex engaging with actual politics?

There’s not a single Rhea fan on this entire forum

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Honestly, Edelgard is a cute fictional girl that says eat the rich and that immediately means that I shall defend her honor to the death.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't buy the dlc yet, why is there a mole people house to begin with?

quote:

Honestly, Edelgard is a cute fictional girl that says eat the rich and that immediately means that I shall defend her honor to the death.

She is the rich

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CmdrKing posted:

yes because i tend not to judge people's real world politics by their opinions on video games

RBA Starblade posted:

rhea sentenced them to gay baby jail

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

yes because i tend not to judge people's real world politics by their opinions on video games

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

I haven’t finished the dlc yet but so far it appears to be because a dude has a really stupid evil plot to bang a dead woman.

Endorph posted:

Also this.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I haven’t finished the dlc yet but so far it appears to be because a dude has a really stupid evil plot to bang a dead woman.

quote:

lmao

So like are people sending their students there then they go home and tell everyone about how they spent a year in Rhea's lovely basement with a discount teacher?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that's like an actual spoiler that I would not have wanted to know before getting through the DLC, cool to see that now that it's one day old we can just post those now

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I don't care about spoilers one way or the other, but Amppelix is right, that probably constitutes one.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

cant believe people spoiled gay baby jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its literally in the first three minutes of the dlc. this is like getting mad at people for saying lyn's family is dead as an fe7 spoiler

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 14, 2020