Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Both Cibola Burn and Babylon's Ashes seem a little worse for bookending Nemesis Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Halfway through Cibola Burn and while it's not over yet, uh...Murtry did nothing wrong.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Cibola Burn was a slog and Babylon's Ashes was a softish landing for Nemesis Games.

I'm halfway through Persepolis Rising now and enjoying it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Just finished Cibola Burn. That makes 4 novels and 5 novellas/short stories in the past month. I accidentally read The Vital Abyss already.

Cibola Burn wasn't bad but boy howdy it was a slog and it does just feel like a sidequest, just like S4 of the show except without the allusions to S5. Looking forward to reading NG and officially becoming a "book person."

Also Murtry did nothing wrong until he tried to blow up the Roci several times, and then turned out to be the worst kind of corporate bootlicker.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 24, 2020

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Sorry for the bump, but I finished Nemesis Games. I fall on the side of loving it, but it has some serious issues I can't deny. Mostly with pacing. It can crawl and crawl, and then jump ahead past major events. There was one Alex chapter where there's a flashback in the middle of it to only a few days before, which should have been its own chapter. And Alex really comes off as a creep, which I feel is a disservice to him.

It was fun to get inside Amos's head.

I think I'll read Babylon's Ashes and then take a break and read other things for a few months (I'm going to end up having read 2 short stories, 3 novellas, and 6 novels in about 2 months in this series). But I happened to see that Babylon's Ashes has nineteen POV characters.

Hoo boy.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Alex is in a really weird place at that time, and to his credit, he realizes how off-base he is.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Nail Rat posted:

But I happened to see that Babylon's Ashes has nineteen POV characters.

Many of those of them are basically just intermission characters, though, much like The Investigator in Cibola Burn.

It's not their fault that the events they are POV-ing happen to be a boring slog. :haw:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

Alex is in a really weird place at that time, and to his credit, he realizes how off-base he is.

Is that the stuff with his ex-wife?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That's what I was referring to, though it's possible he could be talking about something else Alex did...?

I think it's really intended as him kind of bottoming out.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I was referring to him having repeated creepy thoughts about Bobbie. The ex wife stuff too though yeah.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

I think I'll read Babylon's Ashes and then take a break and read other things for a few months (I'm going to end up having read 2 short stories, 3 novellas, and 6 novels in about 2 months in this series).

This is a good point to do it. Book 5 and 6 are wild and you could use a break afterwards.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

7 isn't the best until the very end. The end of 7 loving owns.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
Goons: I love Amos! He's so fun!
Also goons: Alex was kind of creepy for finding an adult -- younger than him-- attractive.

Sticking just to the text of the novels, Alex briefly was attracted to Bobbie, never acted on it, and shortly thereafter had a brief relationship with an age-appropriate person.

Amos has murdered several people, tortured a criminal who wanted chicken, and battered people. I don't want to say too much about later novels since I know someone is working their way there, so I wont say anything after book 6.

As far as the novellas, I've only read The Churn so I don't know if Alex does something creepy in one of the other novellas.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm talking specifically about Nemesis Games, there are some things that really stick out with regards to Alex. This is years after he was "briefly" attracted to Bobbie and there are some creepy thoughts in there, even at very inopportune moments. That's all.

Yes Amos isn't a good guy and everyone knows that, even him. If it wasn't obvious to anyone by The Churn, it should definitely have been after. And I definitely agreed with Clarissa about the prepper, for instance. And I thought he should have tried to help the guard from the Pit, though I knew he wouldn't.

But I felt the creepy thoughts were a little out of line for Alex especially years after Bobbie had become a close friend. Like, I'm pretty sure close to ten years after (by the time Abaddon's Gate is over, it's close to 2 years after Io I believe, another couple years until Cibola Burn, and Nemesis Games starts 3 years after they head out towards Ilus). That's all. It doesn't make me dislike him as a character, because I felt it was out of character.

I mean maybe it won't seem as bad on a reread but I had this thought at I believe 3 instances and the third one was him thinking that he would have expected being held by an attractive woman to be an erotic experience when he hugged a friend of 8-10 years after the greatest mass murder in human history. Seemed a mite unnecessary as commentary.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 30, 2020

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Finished Babylon's Ashes. I enjoyed it, though I feel like having 4 different POV characters for Medina Station instead of 1 was pure masturbation.

Also, after finishing this book I feel like the closest analogue to Marco as a villain is The Monarch.

Edit: also I hope they keep the battle scene midway through true to the book in season 6, it's the best battle scene of the series so far.

Edit:

If I had to rank the books so far, I'd actually say:

Nemesis Games
Babylon's Ashes
Caliban's War
Abaddon's Gate
Leviathan Wakes
Cibola Burn

NG and BA I could see flopping, same with any of the three after that actually. I really, really enjoyed BA and the high amount of POV characters really doesn't seem that bad because they're mostly familiar. It's the Medina Station work crew that was needless (just pick one of them guys).

It's odd that there's not really any dramatic lead into what comes next, the first time in the series I'm pretty sure. I suppose this is a good point to take a break and just make sure I catch up by book 9.

Edit 2: I'm a liar, because I finished Strange Dogs this afternoon and it's on to PR.

Edit 3: Duarte is really lucky his scary recording to stay out of Laconia worked so well! Really kind of ridiculous really.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 10, 2020

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Thats just insulting to the Monarch

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Just finished Persepolis Rising.

PR was great if depressing and dark (and I got sick of all the talking about planning to bust out). But their timeline got all kinds of hosed up in this one. According to Strange Dogs and PR, Singh is:

-Like early 30s (7 years old a few years after Duarte's First Fleet arrived at Laconia)
-Like mid 40s (somehow was a small child during the Io campaign)
-25 (the same age Holden was when he was busted out of the UNN)

I went back and read the discussion from last year when the book came out, and I had a lot of the same mixed feelings about the time jump (though I knew it was coming). It made sense for the story they were telling, but the characters didn't feel significantly aged at all. A new set of core characters might have made sense. I also couldn't get around the fact they just left Laconia alone for 30+ years.

Excited for Tiamat's Wrath and Auberon. Should have that all wrapped up this weekend.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 12, 2020

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They didn't leave it alone for 30 years. They left it alone during the Starving Years, when they were too busy starving, and then once poo poo was better they started trying to scout through the gate and everything that went through was destroyed the moment it poked its head up. Their mistake was assuming they didn't have the capacity to outbuild them, not ignoring them.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

What they sent through was a few probes when they could have sent battleships. They make a point of it being a major fuckup in the book.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I still want to know what the ‘prosthetic’ they were gonna mount on that Martian battleship which gate-disappeared back in Nemesis Games was about. Dropped plot thread? Foreshadowing? Maybe they hadn’t planned the time skip and the Laconian super ships were gonna be hasty hybrids.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

General Battuta posted:

I still want to know what the ‘prosthetic’ they were gonna mount on that Martian battleship which gate-disappeared back in Nemesis Games was about. Dropped plot thread? Foreshadowing? Maybe they hadn’t planned the time skip and the Laconian super ships were gonna be hasty hybrids.

The Laconian tech aspect of things has always been extremely sloppy and poorly thought out. How was the big magic beam gun never tested in the Laconian system (or what was special about using it in the Sol System?), and what similar artifacts did the Laconians have experience with such that they were confident it couldn't destroy the hub's security station? Because (Tiamat's Wrath spoilers) normal railgun shots easily destroyed the construction platforms, so those weren't the comparison point.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The prosthetic, I'm pretty sure, was a device designed to dock with the orbital construction platform. Except they didn't turn it on for several years until after they got there (they turn it on at the beginning of Strange Dogs) so...I don't know.

Laconia doesn't hold up to scrutiny in general. It's a good story but a couple dozen (?) ships and a few hundred or thousand colonists just couldn't put together what they did in 30 years, protomolecule help or no. But it's cool and a logical consequence of the ring network, just twisted to happen close enough to the earlier narrative that the Roci crew can still be part of it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I think they rely on the Laconians being *Martians* with all their pluck, drive, and superior engineering skills to help hand wave how much they accomplish.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I feel bad making fun of them because they’re decent guys but I know some Poles on a space game forum who love the MCR and see it as some kind of pragmatic-collectivist techno utopia. I told them the MCR led directly to the genocide of billions before realizing they were probably show viewers.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

General Battuta posted:

I feel bad making fun of them because they’re decent guys but I know some Poles on a space game forum who love the MCR and see it as some kind of pragmatic-collectivist techno utopia. I told them the MCR led directly to the genocide of billions before realizing they were probably show viewers.

Having listened to a lot of My Chemical Romance I can see how you would reach this conclusion.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

I think they rely on the Laconians being *Martians* with all their pluck, drive, and superior engineering skills to help hand wave how much they accomplish.

having wierd alien construction goo could acomplish a lot.

I like that the protomolecule is on a level of science so advanced it is just plain magic to the general human race in perseopolis. When the ray gun is first used, its mentioned they can't even tell what it was, just that the ship vaporized instantly.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Just making enough food with hydroponics would be work enough for all the people they had.

Edit: not to mention building all the empty buildings the capital city has. The protomolecule isn't growing them...

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 13, 2020

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yes but 'fascism is efficient' is exactly the sort of truism the Expanse is built on. Or the more glaring 'psychopaths are magic apex predators who effortlessly own everyone'

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

Yes but 'fascism is efficient' is exactly the sort of truism the Expanse is built on. Or the more glaring 'psychopaths are magic apex predators who effortlessly own everyone'

Especially psychopaths who can't feel pain. That's one of the most annoying common literary tropes alongside 'being a genius means you're good at literally everything ever forever'.

I blame Ender's Game for that.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
If you're a doctor in something, you're a doctor in everything

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Obviously, I mean they're sending Dr Okoye, a biologist, to study dead systems. But she's a doctor so it's fine.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

She's an exobioligist, not a medical doctor. They sent her because there was life on the planet to study.

I'd assume they sent an md that died in the crash.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The dead systems she was sent to literally had no life. Including every system she went to in Tiamat's Wrath.

Spoilers for post Cibola burn btw.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Ah, gotcha, thought you meant on Ilus.

I guess her encountering Weird poo poo made her qualified as science officer on the Enterprise.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
She has first hand experience in Weird Protomolecule Bullshit which is a pretty good qualification for studying Weird Protomolecule Bullshit.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

SpookyLizard posted:

She has first hand experience in Weird Protomolecule Bullshit which is a pretty good qualification for studying Weird Protomolecule Bullshit.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but hadn't she shifted her research focus to protomolecule-related stuff even before Laconia showed up?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Its possible, I dont really remember. She doesnt really pop up again until shes on the Enterprise looking for Weird Protomolecule Bullshit, but switching her field from exobiology to Weird Bullshit I Am Exclusvely Familiar with wouldnt surprise me.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Now that you mention it I think she did segue her career from Weird Bullshit Nobody Knows Even Exists to Expert on Weird Bullshit I Have Exclusively Witnessed.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Are they sitting on the last book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Toast Museum posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but hadn't she shifted her research focus to protomolecule-related stuff even before Laconia showed up?

She had, yeah. One reason Holden suggests her to Duarte