Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Soul Glo posted:

Did this get patched in recent months to make it run better? I played through it on Xbox at launch and rebought it on Steam but maaaaan it runs like poo poo on my 1070.

Ubisoft's open world games are really processor heavy, you have to have a good GPU AND CPU if you want the bells and whistles turned on with a high framerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ultrafilter posted:

20XX is getting a sequel. I don't usually care for procedurally generated levels, but that one worked really well and I'm interested to see what they do next.

I didn't even know the first game left early access.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Dominoes posted:

I appreciate it! I trashed it after that post though.

*trackpads become crying eyes*

*buttons and joystick don't become anything because their placement is unaesthetic*

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Lol. Steam was onto something with the standard AA bat usage and long batt life. Oh well.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dominoes posted:

Lol. Steam was onto something with the standard AA bat usage and long batt life. Oh well.

Xbone controllers have that.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It said there was an error. gently caress. Back to playing EDF5.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Anyone buy anything recently on steam and get it hanging? Hit Purchase (once) and now it's "Working" and grayed out.

What's your normal solution for this?

Edit: Just looked at my purchase history and i'm seeing it as "Pending". Never had a purchase on steam directly take this long. I can access my account and paypal with ease. Dang it. :ohdear:

Morter fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 14, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Morter posted:

Anyone buy anything recently on steam and get it hanging? Hit Purchase (once) and now it's "Working" and grayed out.

What's your normal solution for this?

Check your payment method, if it went through usually you will get it eventually. Otherwise check https://store.steampowered.com/account/history/ and if it shows as pending you can cancel it and try another payment method. (Sometimes whatever auth method they use between paypal breaks and times out)

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 14, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hub Cat posted:

Check you payment method, if it went through usually you will get it eventually. Otherwise check https://store.steampowered.com/account/history/ and if it shows as pending you can cancel it and try another payment method.

I’ve found that I have that problem with PayPal a lot. It started this summer and hits like 2 out of 3 purchase attempts I make with it. The attached card works just fine.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I've never cancelled a (pending) purchase on steam. Paypal isn't showing me any sign that they received my purchase order. Should I cancel and try my card directly?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Cancelling and using the card has always worked for me. I'm pretty sure it fails before Paypal even sees the transaction so it should be safe. (its happened 3-4 times and I've never been double billed or anything)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah this happened to me recently and I checked it hadn't hit my Paypal yet, then cancelled it and used the card directly. All was well.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Cancelled it, and used paypal again. It went through!

Also

:confuoot:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Awesome! posted:

apparently there is a bug in wolcen where logging off in act 2 will roll you back to act 1 even in offline mode so uh, dont log out for now i guess lol

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024?lang=en

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Black Mesa rules and the new Xen is amazing (although it drags in a couple areas pretty bad). Half-life 2 sucks and Black Mesa made me realize why.

I played through half-life 1 atleast 5 times in my teens and when 2 came out I was excited as gently caress, but only played through it once and felt like I was forcing myself through it. I couldn't remember why. But when I played through Black Mesa I got excited, and went back to play HL2 again and now I remember why.

Half-life was touted for never taking control away from the player but really what made the story telling style work was the narrative itself was first-person. It never explained poo poo. It just showed you everything. Nobody ever said "aliens are invading" that was apparent because of all of the aliens, or "marines are here to kill us" that was real clear the first time they tried to shoot your dick off, or "this alien invasion is huge and what you saw in the complexes wasn't even scratching the surface", that was clear from the firefights between the heavy military equipment and huge rear end aliens you had to get through on the surface. It brought you to those conclusions without explaining them - the way it would really happen if you were in that situation. Better yet it managed to integrate a narrative with the gameplay.

Then HL2 added in dumb cut scenes, but they weren't "cut scenes" because you could look around while Alyx and D0g bullshitted for 5 minutes. It's full of Morgan Freeman type explanations of everything, complete with overlong uninteresting exposition and Alyx going "teehee" at you with lovey dovey eyes until I get mad it won't let you loving dome her. It felt like watching Saving Private Ryan except with a scene in the middle of the Normandy invasion where Tom Hanks falls into a crater and another solider talks to him about fascism, marxism, the human condition, and the current operation and it's goals for 10 screen time minutes in the middle of it to make sure the audience gets it.

The original half-life was so good and I think half-life 2 got such acclaim just because so many people wanted to like it but it forgot (or never realized) what made the narrative style in 1 work so well. It wasn't never losing control it was explaining the key points of the plot without having someone standing there actually explaining it.

Anyway buy Black Mesa and I'll take a number 3 medium with Sprite.

vaginite fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 14, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

who's that grecian guy, lived in a barrel with dogs and sarcastic'd at everyone? i feel like @dril is his reincarnation

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Diogenes' Steam Account

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Half Life 2 does kinda suck in retrospect. It's like they took all the wrong lessons from the things people really liked about HL1. It is a grand exercise in using extensive scripting to enhance a game and while it does do that it also just makes the whole thing feel like it's on rails. Even Half-Life 1 was not completely linear, you had a choice in what order to tackle certain objectives sometimes, like turning on the power/electricity in the blast pit to fry the big tentacle monster. The most you can do in Half-Life 2 is get out of the car or boat to explore side setpieces, which isn't really a 'player choice' when the only decision is either stop and do it or just don't experience that bit of gameplay.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

CJacobs posted:

Half Life 2 does kinda suck in retrospect. It's like they took all the wrong lessons from the things people really liked about HL1. It is a grand exercise in using extensive scripting to enhance a game and while it does do that it also just makes the whole thing feel like it's on rails. Even Half-Life 1 was not completely linear, you had a choice in what order to tackle certain objectives sometimes, like turning on the power/electricity in the blast pit to fry the big tentacle monster. The most you can do in Half-Life 2 is get out of the car or boat to explore side setpieces, which isn't really a 'player choice' when the only decision is either stop and do it or just don't experience that bit of gameplay.

Agreed - especially on taking everything subtle that 1 did that people said they liked and just doing the everliving poo poo out of it in 2

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Greatly enjoying The Division 2, 3 bucks for the base game is a HELL of a deal.

Now I gotta see if I am going to like it enough in some months to get the expansion that is coming soon, but if not, I am liking the base game a whole lot.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I want to argue against this half life 2 hate but I'm just... Tired...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo there's no arguing that Half-Life 2 was not revolutionary for gaming in the same way as Halo or COD: Modern Warfare 2. It's a landmark for shooter games just like the first one was. HL2 pushed the idea of a game focusing on making the player be a physical part of the narrative in a way not a lot of games had done before. But as an early adopter of that idea, the execution is sometimes clunky where it could have been more compelling. Episode 1 and 2 hit the mark a lot closer to what they wanted I think.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Half-Life 2 good The Division franchise bad :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

haldolium posted:

Half-Life 2 good The Division franchise bad :colbert:

Partially correct. HL2 okay but not great, The Division the best cover shooter ever made

edit: Well The Division 2 anyway. The first game is pretty good but not as good.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Can anyone recommend visual novels with excellent narratives? New to the genre.

Anime or not, I don't care.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

succ posted:

It's not really literary, but the Zero Escape games are a hell of a loving ride. Also Phoenix Wright.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Steins;Gate is top tier if you like time travel/universe hopping stories.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Picked up SolSeraph because it was like £4 and at first didn't know why it got such poo poo when it came out. The TD parts weren't too bad and the controls were fine (probably patched I imagine)

Then I beat the first zone and got to zone 2. Yeah people were right. The TD parts were annoying and awkward as hell and the second big boss had way too many hitpoints. I don't even know if I'll play the third map or not. Not sure I even got £4 of value out of it.

In short if you're nostalgic for ActRaiser this isn't it.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

succ posted:

Pure kinetic novels? With choices? Some gameplay?

Maybe Dry Drowning (haven't played). Long Live The Queen. Narcissu for some sad reading. Higurashi if you want to poke that bear. It's a big, weird bear. Doki Doki Literature Club for sure.

Steins;Gate is nutty and very anime/Japanese. The sci-fi seems to be going places, but I'm still only around chapter 2. It's a big one with multiple games if you like the first.

Disco Elysium (haven't played myself). I'll second Ace Attorney and the Zero Escape games.

To The Moon and Finding Paradise (haven't started the latter). A perfect mixture of tragedy and tragedy. With some comedy. Kinda RPGmaker-ish graphics/UI.

Maybe Hatoful Boyfriend, but it takes some digging to get to that final ending. Might be too birdy for some.

428: Shibuya Scramble (haven't played). Clannad (haven't played).

Joke answer: Gal*Gun: Double Peace.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://i.imgur.com/O6oxGXa.mp4

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

succ posted:

That's a little broad since I imagine a lot depends on what kind of stories you like, but The House in Fata Morgana tends to come up a lot in the conversation of people's favorite VNs. The When They Cry series, namely Higurashi (which might actually see its final part on Steam sooner than later) and especially Umineko are staples too.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
That's a weird hitbox. It's as if you have to hover over where they'd be standing... sort of? E: Kinda like imagining them on poles.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, I had the same issue with these on a ranged dude. Game has some bugs but I'm really liking it so far.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

vaginite posted:

Black Mesa rules and the new Xen is amazing (although it drags in a couple areas pretty bad). Half-life 2 sucks and Black Mesa made me realize why.

I played through half-life 1 atleast 5 times in my teens and when 2 came out I was excited as gently caress, but only played through it once and felt like I was forcing myself through it. I couldn't remember why. But when I played through Black Mesa I got excited, and went back to play HL2 again and now I remember why.

Half-life was touted for never taking control away from the player but really what made the story telling style work was the narrative itself was first-person. It never explained poo poo. It just showed you everything. Nobody ever said "aliens are invading" that was apparent because of all of the aliens, or "marines are here to kill us" that was real clear the first time they tried to shoot your dick off, or "this alien invasion is huge and what you saw in the complexes wasn't even scratching the surface", that was clear from the firefights between the heavy military equipment and huge rear end aliens you had to get through on the surface. It brought you to those conclusions without explaining them - the way it would really happen if you were in that situation. Better yet it managed to integrate a narrative with the gameplay.

Then HL2 added in dumb cut scenes, but they weren't "cut scenes" because you could look around while Alyx and D0g bullshitted for 5 minutes. It's full of Morgan Freeman type explanations of everything, complete with overlong uninteresting exposition and Alyx going "teehee" at you with lovey dovey eyes until I get mad it won't let you loving dome her. It felt like watching Saving Private Ryan except with a scene in the middle of the Normandy invasion where Tom Hanks falls into a crater and another solider talks to him about fascism, marxism, the human condition, and the current operation and it's goals for 10 screen time minutes in the middle of it to make sure the audience gets it.

The original half-life was so good and I think half-life 2 got such acclaim just because so many people wanted to like it but it forgot (or never realized) what made the narrative style in 1 work so well. It wasn't never losing control it was explaining the key points of the plot without having someone standing there actually explaining it.

Anyway buy Black Mesa and I'll take a number 3 medium with Sprite.

I've been saying this for YEARS. I always get poo poo on whenever I bring up that HL2 is a bad sequel, since it has this crazy cult following, but it is. It's not necessarily a bad game, but as a sequel to HL1 it was a disappointment.

The other side to the coin for HL2 was that in HL1 you were fighting a good mix of enemies, aliens, zombies, soldiers, lots of cool designs. In HL2 you fight the Combine. And some headcrabs. And some Antlions for that one level and then it's back to more loving combine.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

CJacobs posted:

People kinda got in my face for it the last time I expressed the same opinion, but I really agree. Half-Life 2 is a noteworthy and important game that shaped the genre for many years to come and established conventions that are still in use today, but in and of itself, it really wasn't that amazing.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Soul Glo posted:

Did this get patched in recent months to make it run better? I played through it on Xbox at launch and rebought it on Steam but maaaaan it runs like poo poo on my 1070.
I played this on a GTX 1050 Ti (in 1080p and reduced details but at that point it ran well) :confused:

Are you trying to run it at max. everything settings or 4k or what is your definition of "runs like poo poo"?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
HL2's cutscenes can get annoying, but acting like HL1 didn't have similar sequences is really weird.

HL2 also isn't any more or less linear than HL1 and both games have pacing problems and levels that are markedly crappier than others.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 14, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So I've apparently missed the Division deal and only thing it's offering me is the "standard version" for ten euro (84% off). Is that the deal everyone was gushing about or is that already gone?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
I thought Half-Life 2 was rad and still is. I love them physics and that gravity gun. That's coming from someone where that was pretty much my first Half-Life game. I never went through the first myself. I've seen it played normally many years later and speedran. I think I was too young to understand how to play the first one.

*shrug*

I should probably get the Orange Box at some point. I remember getting that for the console. I also don't own Half-Life.

Reminder to everyone, all of those games are free-to-play until Alyx comes out (even the episodes/expansions). Go go go! Experience gaming history.

-

Division deal should still be there until the expansion's release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Anyway my controversial HL2 opinion is that Episode 2 is overrated to all hell and back. It has a handful of cool moments in a sea of gimmick after gimmick after gimmick.

anilEhilated posted:

So I've apparently missed the Division deal and only thing it's offering me is the "standard version" for ten euro (84% off). Is that the deal everyone was gushing about or is that already gone?

Either upthread or elsewhere I've heard the same thing from somebody else. I'm guessing it's only $3 in the US or somesuch.