Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

By popular demand posted:

I'm hoping that it actually turns out to be that one in a 10^x coincidence because those happen all the time.
Yeah, I assume Eli is just bullshitting here, because his reasoning is completely wrong. Predicting that two specific individuals who each played the lottery once would both win would have impossible odds. Two people who happen to live near each other winning the same lottery ten years apart, after having each potentially bought hundreds of tickets, is just a thing that could happen. Again, you wouldn't bet on it happening, but it's not at all suspicious that it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I could see his argument holding water if the winning numbers were the exact same both times, but they aren't.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Son of a bitch, it's been the whole LP and I just got that.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Tiggum posted:

This guy. Thinks he's so funny. If you die here, it'll be 'cuz I strangle you.

Can we recruit Wing to the Unavaowed? :allears:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think Eli is absolutely supposed to be bullshitting there and the idea is he's banking on the cop just wanting these weirdos to gently caress off.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's called bluffing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Son of a bitch, it's been the whole LP and I just got that.

Just got what?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Just got what?

Paige Turner.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Don't feel bad, I only lately realized the thread title is a Supernatural reference.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Were you and Kalash close, Eli?

Me and Kalash? No. Not really. Although I kinda do owe him everything.

You owe him?

Yeah. When I came into my power, he saved my sanity. Probably my life.

He didn't seem the nurturing type.

No. He wasn't. He was IMPOSSIBLE. Never met me halfway. Never gave an inch. It was... exactly what I needed.

Sounds like my old sponsor. Sometimes you get lucky.

Yeah. Lucky.

Hey. Um. So I just got a weird phone call. I don't know who you guys are, or how you pulled that off, but Kevin's yours if you wanna talk to him. I'll go fetch him.

Yeah? ...

No. NO!

Not YOU.

"Um. Is something wrong?"

Something wrong? Is something WRONG? You come here to gloat? Is that it? What do you want?

"Do you know me?"

You're KIDDING, right?

I don't believe this. Officer Chan. It's her. It's HER!

Huh?

The one I told you about!

The lady that killed my parents!

"I... killed your parents?"

It's your fault. This is all your fault! I can't put her back.

Put her back?

The DRAGON.

Kevin! Calm down! You promised.

This is the one. Investigate HER.

The dragon needs to be put back!

Right. That's enough!

You don't understand!

Move it, Kevin.

This isn't over.

Okay. He's cooling off in his cell. You see what I was telling you? Dragon's. Frig's sake.

"Can you tell me more about the murders?"

Only what's in the report. It happened after hours. A neighbor heard gunshots, so they called the cops. They found Mr. and Mrs. Huang dead on the floor of the restaurant. Shot at point blank range. Kevin was standing in the corner, holding the gun and muttering to himself. The bullets found in the bodies matched the gun. Kevin didn't even resist when they arrested him. If he was innocent, you think he would have said something at the time.

And that's all you've got?

And that's all I got. Aside from his personal effects.

"Can we see them?"

Well, there wasn't much. According to his file, he just had his wallet on him. No money inside, just a credit card which we've got in lockup. Oh, and some papers were folded up in there, too. Seemed like nothing, but we scanned them anyway. Procedure an all.

Can we get a copy of them.

I mean, I guess so? It's just a receipt and a bunch of gibberish, but... whatever. Takes like five seconds to print out. Here you go.

"What do you think this dragon story means?"

Hell if I know. Looks like some kind of math problem? The original was folded up in his wallet. Whatever it means, Kevin won't tell us.

"Kevin shopped at Doug Wang's store?"

Yeah. Just a few days before the murders took place. He used his dad's credit card to buy some stuff. But everyone around here shops at that place. It's not like it means anything.

And now it must be about time we had a look at the scene of the crime.

I'm impressed, Logan. You became a Bestower... what, a year ago?

Give or take.

You adjusted fast. When I came into my power, it took me years to accept it.

I don't know what to tell you. I'm not anything special. And KayKay took it easy on me. Bestower or not. Unavowed or not. I'm still who I've always been. If I lose that then I lose everything.

Sometimes letting go is necessary, but... I see your point.

I can't ask him that!

Hm? What is it?

KayKay's wondering if you guys thought about buying a computer.

What, for storing all our data on? We've considered it. We haven't done it yet.

Um. No. She wants to see Trollgate on a bigger screen.

Oh. Um. Maybe some day.

The solution here, as you may have guessed, relates to the paper Kevin had on him when he was arrested. The bit that wasn't immediately clear to me was what it was the solution to, but it turns out it opens the door. Rather than, you know, a key, there's an utterly insane combination lock disguised as decorations. The dragons' teeth can be pressed in and out and it's simply a matter of pressing the right ones as indicated in the note: teeth one, five and eight of the white dragon and teeth two, five and six of the green. The order you press them doesn't matter, and the game helpfully labels them so you don't even have to guess which side to start counting from.

I dunno what that did, but I'm guessing it did something.

The audible clunk of the lock disengaging was a bit of a clue.

Another carved dragon graces the wall of the restaurant. The fishtank is still functional, but the fish are long dead. The chalk outlines haven't been cleaned up since the police investigation. There's a teacup on the table, dusty but otherwise clean. We'll take it.

Looks like this was the scene of the crime.

We don't see any ghosts. That's something, at least. Not getting any vibes, either. If anyone's haunting this place, they're keeping nice and quiet.

No, KayKay. We're not going to the movies. No, we're not going to the park either. KayKay. Come on. Don't say things like that.

Don't worry. She's just testing you. It's what kids do.

You sure about that?

Of course. It's completely normal. It's part of growing up.

Dude. She's DEAD. She's not going to grow up.

Ah. Right. Sorry.

A sign by the door says "IMPRESSIONS COUNT! Wrap all to-go boxes with a pretty red bow." A length spool of ribbon rests on the counter behind Eli. We'll have that. A row of common kitchen implements hang on the wall. Nothing we really need. A well-used tea kettle full of cold water is on the stove. Beside it is a shiny metal pot. Looks relatively new. The stove controls are covered in layers of dust.The trash bin is also covered in dust. Nothing happens when we turn the stove on.

Looks like the gas is turned off. I'm not surprised.

Huh. Looks like the Huangs lived above their restaurant. Under better circumstances, I could envy their commute.

Eli. You work from home. On your own schedule.

A bunch of coats hang on the wall, collecting dust. On the other side of the doorway is an oil painting of an ancient tree. The pot plant is looking rather overgrown and underwatered. A small empty ceramic vase and a painting of a crane standing on one leg are in the opposite corner. A massive book lies on the table.

It looks like a book of Asian myths and legends. Seems pretty extensive, too.

That's one word for it. That's one of the biggest books I've ever seen.

Looks like there's an index in the back, if you wanted to look up something specific.

Looks like some kind of financial statement on the corkboard.

Strangely, the amount listed here as paid to Smiling Fruit Grocer on the 12th doesn't match the amount shown on the receipt we got from the police. Something to keep in mind.

Huh. The numbers. The answer is always in the numbers.

There's a folding screen in the corner for privacy while changing. A still life of a branch covered in buds and an artistic print of trees swaying in the breeze hang beside the door. There's a decorative silver-plated bowl on a small set of drawers. A picture of a single white flower hangs by the lamp. The bed looks like it hasn't been used in a while. There's a note in the drawer.

Nothing to do out here, so we'll go back in side and head up to the roof.

There's a breathtaking view of the Wall Street financial district to the north. It's a long way down. A heavy duty extractor fan vent still has traces of cooking grease on it. The greenhouse windows are locked from the inside.

Is that a... greenhouse?

Looks like it. It makes economic sense. For a restaurant, anyway.

Wow. That's a banana tree over there. Those are next to impossible to grow outside of the tropics. I'd almost say this was an Earth Mage's work, but I don't sense any magic. Pure mundane ingenuity.

Dozens of raw herbs, veggies, and spices are flourishing in this small greenhouse. The banana tree looks more vibrant and alive than any other plant in the room. Hm. Someone tied a small red ribbon here. The end looks like it was torn off. An old parchment hangs on the wall.

It looks like a list of names.

A list of names going back to the 20s.

Kevin's the last name on the list. And eleven years before that is... Wing? The cook from down the block?

She id seem like she was hiding something.

Good thing uncovering secrets is our specialty.

And we'll open the window, just because we can. And then we'll have some questions for Doug and Wing.

Hey. You guys need anything?

"Did you sell Kevin some kind of herb?"

What? No. Not that I know of.

We found a note from Kevin's father. It said that Kevin purchased an herb from you.

Well... he's wrong.

"Take a look at this receipt and credit card statement..."

Yeah. Kevin bought some stuff and he used his dad's card. What am I looking at here?

The amount charged. They aren't identical.

Oh. Must be some kind of error. Mr Huang'll have to call the credit card company and get them to sort it out. Jesus. What am I saying? Sorry. Was there a point to this?

"Tell the truth. You sold Kevin an herb, but didn't mark it on his receipt."

Seriously. Being honest is... cleaner. And quicker.

None of you are cops are you?

You gotta say if you are. That's the rule, right?

None of us are cops. Promise.

Ok. Fine. YES. You got me. Kevin bought some Hibiscus Rue from me.

Hibiscus Rue? I never heard of it.

It's not on any of the shelves. It's not exactly.... legal.

You're selling drugs?

No! Jesus. No. It's harmless! Really. It just puts you to sleep.

Yeah. Like nobody ever got addicted to sleeping pills before.

Hey. You wanted honesty, you got it.

Do you... want some? Twenty bucks for two doses.

However much Kevin bought, he paid $12.27 for it. :crossarms:

"I'll buy some."

Just dissolve half of it in hot water. It'll knock you straight out.

*sigh* What?

"We saw your name written down on the Dragon Tree roof..."

... That's still there?

The dates on the list go back almost a century. Yes it's still there.

Huh.

"So are you gonna tell us why?

Why what?

Um. Why your name was written there?

It's something to do with the lottery, isn't it?

Ha. That's crazy. You're crazy. You think I won the lottery by writing my name down on an old piece of paper?

We don't know. Maybe you can tell us.

*Sigh* My husband... he died. He had debts. Debts I couldn't pay.

Weiman Huang offered to help. I didn't ask for it. He OFFERED.

He offered what?

No. No. It's done. It's over. I don't want to talk about it. If you wanna deal with the Ba Jiao Gui, that's up to you.

"The Ba Jiao Gui?"

I said I don't want to talk about it.

These guys bothering you?

Yes, they're bothering me. It's YOUR FAULT they're bothering me.

Right. Forget it.

Idiot.

Fortunately, we know where to find information about Asian myths and legends: Wikipedia. That book in the Huangs' place. Let's go look up the bā jiāo guǐ.

We've got our red ribbon so we just need the sleeping potion. The gas is off here but Wing will be happy to heat some water for us to steep our hibiscus in. Then we just need to tie one end of the ribbon to the banana tree, run it out the greenhouse window, down to the balcony, and into the bedroom.

We'll keep an eye out. Give a shout if you need anything.

We barely have time to lie down before we're asleep.

I don't think she'll be doing much shouting.

The door to the living room is shut and we can't seem to open it. The balcony door is wide open though.

No! No MORE. I am tired. You will not let me rest. And now you want MORE? Well, I refuse. That is my right.

"I just want to talk. Honest!"

Talk? What good is TALK, human? You humans drag me from my slumber. Force me to grant a boon. Again and again. And now, you won't let me sleep. You strand me in this dead world.

"Dead world?"

Can you not feel it? This is a place of dead things. Halfway between your world and mine. It HURTS. I don't want to stay here. Please send me back.

"How can I send you back?

Keviun Huang. Where is Kevin Huang? He called me here. He is the only one who can send me back. He should have fulfilled his duty months ago. Where is he?

"Kevin is in prison."

Prison? Hah. He cannot escape his duty so easily. He WILL return. He WILL release me. He will not be free of nightmares until he does.

"If Kevin can't come here, what can we do?"

I am going INSANE here. I am surrounded by dead things. I have not eaten in months.

"Um. Just how hungry are you?"

Hungry enough that I am considering raw human.

"There's nothing I can do to help?"

Are you Kevin Huang? Then no.

"I'm, uh, gonna leave now."

Be my guest.

Oh. You cannot open the door? You are in the land of the DEAD. You cannot interact with the physical world. But it seems, perhaps, the physical world can interact with YOU.

"You'd better let me go."

It is not up to me. How much do you weigh, anyway? Enough, I'd think. Enough to tide me over.

"I'm your only hope of finding Kevin."

Kevin is lost to me. And I have no reason to trust you. Or any human. And I am so... sooo hungry.

:ohdear:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Huh, I'm Malaysian Chinese and I never heard of the Ba Jiao Gui. Not that I heard of many local folktales anyway.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I randomly read about Malaysian folklore on Wikipedia a year ago and was very surprised with this update.
What mythology are we gonna run into next?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Accurate (so far) mythology? That isn't the same handful of mainstream stuff everyone and their dog has covered before? In a video game?

What sorcery is this?

I also like that there was no dialogue or cutscene where the party discuss the plan. Just 'hey, turns out we have the stuff for a magic ritual, guess we should do it immediately'.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Black Robe posted:

Accurate (so far) mythology? That isn't the same handful of mainstream stuff everyone and their dog has covered before? In a video game?

What sorcery is this?

I also like that there was no dialogue or cutscene where the party discuss the plan. Just 'hey, turns out we have the stuff for a magic ritual, guess we should do it immediately'.

Well, this is not their first magic ritual.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Tiggum posted:

Huh. The numbers. The answer is always in the numbers.

And this is why you should always have an accountant in the party.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I legit started to solve the riddle as a mathematical matrix before scrolling down to find it's nowhere as complicated.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Good old Detective Sam Durkin turning back up reminded me of the connection this game has to the Blackwell series.

To somewhat answer my own question from earlier in the thread, assuming that Kevin bought that sleeping potion approximately at the same time the murders in the restaurant happened; 'Unavowed' takes place approximately 7 years after 'The Blackwell Epiphany'. Rosa being born the end of March 1976 and being 34 at the time of 'Epiphany' puts that in 2010. Kevin's bank transactions show it was July 2017, and the murders were apparently only 3 months or so ago.

DaveGilbert
Apr 27, 2014

The Wadjet Eye guy
Hey! Dev of the game here. I just found this thread and I've been enjoying it a lot! Thanks so much for putting it together. :)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That is a good game and you should feel good about it.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DaveGilbert posted:

Hey! Dev of the game here. I just found this thread and I've been enjoying it a lot! Thanks so much for putting it together. :)

Hey dude, love your games :)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

DaveGilbert posted:

Hey. Thanks. :)

And also sorry to everyone for not updating the thread for ages. Last time I tried I discovered that the next section of the game hadn't recorded properly so I have to replay it, and then my life got very slightly busier than normal and so I let a whole bunch of stuff slip. :smith:

But I have the next couple of days free so I am planning to get back to posting regularly again.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7thYj1HqZg

The green girl grabs us and drags us straight through the solid door.

That. Was. AWESOME! I totally saved you.

"You look VERY familiar."

You're kidding, right?

I'm KAYKAY. Duh.

I've been following you guys around for, like, a week.

"Am I dead?"

Yeah. Sorry.

Oh my god I'm KIDDING. Hah. The look on your face! No you're not DEAD. You're just... in a land of dead things. Kinda. You're sort of... between? Not the land of the dead, but not the physical world either. That means you can see ghosts and spirits. Like me.

"What happened?"

After you fell asleep, ghosts started appearing EVERYWHERE. They went NUTS. Went geist and everything!

Tables started shaking. Knives started flying. It was... kind of cool.

But Logan and me went to work. We got 'em calmed down finally. Still. Whatever is going on here, the ghosts don't like it.

"Where's Logan now?"

He's out in the hallway. The door locked itself while you were sleeping. So I got to rescue you!

"Any ideas on what to do now?"

I dunno. Find a way back to the living world, I guess. You're alive. So you don't belong here. Not yet, anyway.

"How do I get back?"

I don't know. I'm not sure there IS a way back. At least, there isn't a way back for me. Maybe it's different for you.

"Okay. Let's try and figure this out."

Okay.

Well, let's see if we can open this door. Or walk through it?

Huh. Weird. Looks like you can't touch the door? Must be a living-person-in-the-land-of-the-dead thing. You got the worst of both worlds. Well. You have me, at least. I pulled you through one door. I can pull you through another.

Logan! I saved her! The dragon was like "rarr!" and she was like "aaahhh!" and then I was like "whoosh!"

Aaauuughhhhh!

Duh. Yeah. There was a dragon.

Looks different than the ones in Trollgate. Kinda disappointing.

Aaauuughhhhh!

What do you mean, you can't see her?

Um. Logan says he can't see you. Can you see him? Or Eli?

"They look like ghosts to me."

Huh. Right. Okay.

Well, we dunno what's going on, but we'll figure this out.

Promise.

We can't be sure, but we think we can make out Eli's features within the swirly mist of the ghost on the left. From the way KayKay keeps looking at it, we can only assume the other spirit form belongs to Logan. KayKay floats nearby, watching us with a kooky grin. There's a dragon outside, so going to the roof is probably a bad idea, and we've just come from the bedroom. That leaves us only one option.

Come on, Logan. She's going downstairs.

There's something very odd about shiny metal pot. And touching it results in a bright flash of light.

"What just happened?"

You just kinda... appeared. Out of thin air.

KayKay says you... what? Touched the pot?

The pot? It's not magical in any way that I can tell.

Sure is shiny, though.

Let's touch it again.

Oh neat. You're back.

Quick! Touch the teapot [sic] again. Logan's scream is HYSTERICAL.

Auuughhhh!

Nyehhh.

Well that's interesting. Let's do it again.

Aaand you're back.

"Why did touching the pot bring me back?"

Well it makes sense, doesn't it? If I was creating a ritual that sent me to the land of the dead, even temporarily, I'd want a failsafe to get me out of there quickly if something went wrong. Touching something with reflective properties? A perfect choice. On a physical and symbolic level.

Well, if it works with any reflective object, I know where we've seen a mirror before. And it's a place we can't normally get into, so this could work out very well for us.

Yep, we're going to attempt a jailbreak.

Heh. That guard is totally freaking out.

Wuuughhhhh!

Really, Logan? "You look tired?" Could you TRY not to piss off the cop?

Auuuugghhh!

How about you and Eli just wait outside. We'll take it from here. Dude. We'll be fine. I'll take care of her. Don't worry.

I mean, I take care of YOU, don't I?

Nyehhh

Eli and Logan leave.

Logan's such a baby. I don't know what he'd do without me.

Well, time to get moving, so let's just open this door...

Forget again?

Or we'll have KayKay take us through it.

KayKay responds every single time you try to walk through a door without her, and there are a lot of lines recorded for it. I won't share them all, but it makes it a lot less annoying when you're actually playing the game to have her give unique responses instead of just repeating the same line over and over.

Woo! It's jailbreak time! Just like in "The Gaol of the Gauvinites!"

The Trollgate quest? Where the Gauvinites are held prisoner in the Whittikan mine?

*sigh* Never mind.

Despite our unforgivable ignorance, we still have a job to do here. So let's start by taking a look around. Women's locker room first since it's the closest door.

A rusty metal locker door is half open. Looks like something is inside. There's a mirror we could use to become corporeal again, but there's someone standing right in front of it.

You're not like Logan at ALL. He'd be blushing like crazy right now.

I feel like that line was probably only supposed to play if the player character is male. :shrug:

On to the men's locker room.

A pair of blue trousers hangs over the bench. Looks to be part of a uniform.

Wauuuughhhhh

This is when Logan usually tells me to close my eyes. I don't DO it, but still.

Eeeauuughhh

Oauuughhhh

Well, let's keep exploring.

There's a cup of hot coffee on the table. The guard takes a sip from it every few minutes. A beat-up door looks like a janitor's closet. Neat detail here, KayKay takes the most direct path to where she's going even if that means walking through a wall. She's clearly gotten used to the advantages of being dead.

A shiny metal bucket is the most obvious feature of this room.

There's also an evil-smelling mop and bucket, and a dirty rag rests on the compact steel sink. We'll have that. Looks like a bottle of spray lubricant in the corner. We'll take that too.

What?

Back out in the corridor and past the guard are the cells.

Only one is occupied.

There's a spartan chair and table, a nasty-smelling toilet against the far wall and a flat metal mirror over the sink. The bed is as hard as a rock.

Poor guy. He looks miserable.

Quick! Touch that mirror and scare the crap out of him!

Cruel as that sounds, it is what we're going to do.

What the hell... how did you...?

"Don't scream."

Why? So you can finish the job? You know what? Go right ahead.

My life is over anyway. I don't even care anymore.

"I'm not here to kill you."

Why should I believe anything you say? The damage is done.

I can't sleep. The dragon... haunts my dreams. It SCREAMS.

It won't leave me alone. Not now. Not ever.

"The dragon needs your help."

I know that. You think I don't know that?

But I can't DO anything. Not from in here.

"Have you ever heard of 'Gaol of the Gauvinites?'"

You... mean the prison break quest from Trollgate? Are you serious?

You're serious, aren't you? You put me IN here. And now you want to break me out?

"That wasn't really me. I was possessed. Kind of."

Possessed? I'm not sure I understand.

But... maybe I don't need to.

Look, if you can get me out of here? Help me send the dragon back home? End these nightmares? Then fine. Do whatever you have to.

"Can you tell me about the dragon?"

My grandfather always said that the dragon was our family's blessing. It would help us through hard times, if we needed it.

We could call upon it once every decade or so. Any more than that... if we were greedy... it would become a curse.

But we were never greedy. We did everything we were supposed to. The dragon never cursed us.

No. We were cursed by YOU.

"Is there a key to this cell anywhere?"

The guard down the hall has a key to the cell. He's opened up a few times. But I couldn't tell you how to get it away from him.

"What can you tell me about the guard?"

Leland? He's an rear end in a top hat.

Whatever you do to him, he'll have it coming. Believe me.

"When I disappear again, I need you to call the guard over to your cell."

You mean... distract him? Sure I can do that. I mean, I think I can. The guy doesn't need much of an excuse to be an rear end in a top hat to me. I might as well give him one.

"Bye Kevin. I'll be back."

Okay.

Well, it's not exactly a plan, but hopefully it'll come together as we go. Mirror time.

Come on come on. I'm BORED.

As soon as we leave the cell, Kevin and Leland start talking to each other. Of course, we can't tell what they're saying. Whatever it is, it causes Leland to come down the corridor to Kevin's cell. So we pop back into the janitor's closet and touch the bucket. The coast is clear and we've still got one dose of Hibiscus Rue left, so...

We'll slip out of sight and let that take effect.

If our experience is anything to go by, this guard will be out for at least a half hour. The cap fell off the guard's head. We'll grab that as well as the key. Why not? And then we'll just go unlock Kevin's cell.

You... did it?

So what now?

"We sneak out."

Um. No? I can't disappear like you can. Look at what I'm wearing! I can't just walk out of here dressed like this. Can you get me some new clothes? Anything will work. Anything but this ugly orange prison uniform.

"What about that guard over there? Will his uniform do?"

Leland? He's bigger than I am. I'd look like a clown. I need something smaller.

"I'll find you a disguise. Sit tight."

I'm not going anywhere.

Well, we know where there's a pair of trousers. Maybe they'll fit? If we can get them away from their owner.

We can touch the mirror without being spotted, but he's definitely going to notice if we walk over there to grab his pants. We need a distraction. Fortunately we picked up that rag earlier, and we can use it to block the sink. Turn the tap on and it'll overflow. We'll just hide behind the lockers for the moment.

I am NOT getting blamed for this.

And he just leaves. So we'll take the pants and see about getting a shirt or jacket.

An off-duty prison guard stands in front of the mirror, getting ready for a night on the town.

This is one of those puzzles where you kind of have to fail it once before you can solve it. Try opening the lock and the hinges will squeal and you'll be caught. the solution is to use that can of lubricant first, then open the locker to reveal a blue shirt inside. The cop is too absorbed in what she's doing to notice.

Okay. I think that's everything I need. The pants are kind of my size. They should work. The shirt's a bit small, but it should do fine. And the cap'll go a long way in covering my face. Could you, um, turn around for a sec?

Okay. Here I go. And... um, thanks. I guess?

You too, Randy?

Yeah. Took it right off the bench. I was only gone for just a few minutes.

They took it right out of my locker! Who the hell does that?

You sure nothing of yours is missing, Sun?

Not that I know of.

Huh.

Yeah. Huh.

Hello again.

"It's been good to finally meet you face-to-face, KayKay."

Thanks! And you didn't even have to die to do it.

"So why do I see Eli and Logan as ghosts?"

That's how the living appear to other ghosts. Maybe it's the same thing? I dunno. Being dead is weird sometimes.

"And how come Logan can't see me?"

Hm. Maybe it's because Logan can only see ghosts, and you're not a ghost?

Guess that proves you're not actually dead!

"... I'm sorry about Jonah, KayKay."

Why are you sorry? You didn't kill him. Not really.

And I'm with Logan now. So that's lucky.

Lucky for HIM I mean. He'd be totally lost without me.

"Okay, let's get back to him then."

Okay!

As we arrive back in the foyer, we flicker between corporeal and "ghost" form a couple of times.

Huh. Looks like the power's wearing off. Oh well. It's been fun.

See ya when you die!

Jesus, KayKay. Don't DO that.

Everything go okay in there?

"Yeah. KayKay had my back."

Yeah. She always does.

Anyway, Eli went with Kevin to the restaurant. We should meet 'em there.

"Right let's go. And tell KayKay I liked working with her."

She, um, just stuck her tongue out at you.

Anyway, right behind you.

Oh good. You're back.

So is the dragon gone?

Um. Not yet. I was hoping you could come with me? I don't want to face it alone.

"Sure. We'll face it with you."

Thank you. In my dreams, the dragon is so ANGRY. In all my dad's stories, it was never angry. I'm... scared. Anyway. I'll meet you on the roof.

"Don't you need ribbon and tea, first?"

No. That's only to summon it. To send it away, I just need to be near the tree. On the roof. Good thing, too. That tea is DISGUSTING. Anyway. I'll meet you up there.

Kevin? Something wrong?

What happens... after? Do I go back to jail? Go on the run?

We won't let that happen. We'll put a veil on you. I will disguise your identity.

Oh. That's... good. I guess.

Kevin?

Yeah. Sorry. I was just... remembering. My mom was always making me study cookbooks. Making me memorize old family recipes. Then my dad would drill me in the kitchen. You always hate that stuff as a kid. But right now? I miss it. More than anything.

Kevin Huang. You have come at last.

Yeah. Well. I've barely slept for months, thanks to you.

And I have not EATEN. I wish to go home.

Yeah. Home.

I am waiting, Kevin Huang. Fulfill your family duty.

Not yet. I want something. Another winning lottery number.

Dude. Come ON.

You overstep yourself, Kevin Huang.

And none of the usual five-figure stuff either. I'm talking the mega-million jackpot.

"What are you DOING, Kevin?"

Making things RIGHT.

We have your original lottery ticket, Kevin. Your WINNING lottery ticket.

It's not enough. It's not nearly enough.

It's fifty grand! Don't get greedy.

Yeah, man. That's more than enough to start a new life.

I don't WANT a new life! This restaurant belongs to my family. It should stay IN MY FAMILY. The bank repossessed this place. I need to buy it back before someone else does. Fifty thousand won't cut it. Do this for me, Dragon. Do this and I will burn the banana tree. Nobody will ever summon you ever again.

"Can you do it, dragon?"

Can I? Yes. Will I? No. The effort involved... the mental strain... it might kill me.

It might... but it might not?

Please, Kevin Huang. Let me GO.

"You can find another way, Kevin."

Oh, I'm sorry. Am I hearing ethical advice from the person who MURDERED MY FAMILY? You're the one who took it all away. You can help me get it back. You OWE this to me.

"We've been over this. I didn't kill your family."

Doesn't matter. It still happened. They're still dead. I'm still accused of killing them. You said the Unavowed helps people. So maybe help me now and back me up on this?

"Why is this restaurant so important?"

Because it's been in my family for four generations! It's stood for almost a century. I'm not gonna let that end. Not while I can still do something about it. So how about it, Dragon? Give me a winning set of numbers, and I'll send you home. Forever.

"We won't let you do this, Kevin."

It's not like you can stop me. Only I have the power to send the dragon back.

"And only WE have the power to veil you."

Wait. What? You'd just let the cops throw me back in jail? You can't! That's not RIGHT. I didn't DO anything.

Not YET you haven't.

Please. PLEASE. Some corporate chain is gonna buy this place. They'll DESTROY it. Turn it into a plastic boutique or a condo. My family would have died for NOTHING. You can't let that happen. Please. Don't do this.

"Eli? What do you think?"

What do I think? I think Kevin got dealt a raw deal. I also think that dragon tried to EAT you earlier. It'as hard to know which way to go, but whatever you choose, I'll back you up.

"Any thoughts on this, Logan?"

I think the Huang family has been relying on this magic dragon for long enough. Whichever way this goes, that needs to end.

Well. Do we let Kevin go ahead and force the dragon to grant his wish, possibly at the cost of the dragon's life, or do we coerce Kevin into releasing the dragon?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Let's not have anyone else die for a wish here.
Release

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

KayKay is just the absolute best character :3:

Let the dragon go, Kevin, before it curses you again and this time we decide not to help stop it.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Release
If he wanted to keep the corporations from crushing his family's chain he'd need more than just a dragon. Like, summon up some kind of planet-sized spectre of communism or something.

Taberquol
Jun 16, 2012

Release. Dragon dude has been away from home for months, of course he's hangry.

Kaykay is a delight, I love how expressive her portraits are.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Release.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Release. There are better, smarter ways to help Kevin keep the business in the family.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

voting KayKay for new team leader

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, definitely Release. The Huangs have been enslaving a sentient being; they don't get much say in this.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Release the kraken! Dragon.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
gently caress off, Kevin. Release the dragon before you do more harm.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Yeah no, he was manipulated by a demon, but he's still being an entitled poo poo. gently caress this kid, release the dragon.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
I mean the game flat out tells you he'll be cursed if you let him get winning numbers again. Release the dragon. Kid is hurting, but this is for his sake too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this is one of the black-and-white ones. Release.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
No question about this one. No shades of grey I can see. Release the Dragon. It's the right thing to do. The other way is simply wrong from any and all angles I can look at it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Let's not gently caress with any curses, kid. Release.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Let Kevin do it so we have a good place to blackmail into giving us free meals in the future

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Release the dragon because it’s not like he can get away with owning the restaurant even if he’s veiled. Plus the curse thing.

Also KayKay is the best :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Kitfox88 posted:

Also KayKay is the best :3:

Like I said when she was introduced, best character in the game :D. I about cheered when I hit this part in the game and got rescued by her, wandering around with her was hysterical. And Release, things are NOT more important than lives Kevin.