Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Gonna Send It posted:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/dfh/shop/refurbished-coupons/cp/outlet-deals-dfh

It's expired now, but keep a close eye on this page for coupons, they pop up all the time.

Gotcha. I'll check back in this thread when I actually have the refund and can react more quickly, I think. In the meantime, anyone else think that (dude) I shouldn't be getting a Dell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I see it's got 8GB RAM, is there room in there for a second stick if I want to upgrade down the line?

E: Also is dual-channel still significantly faster or has that changed? I always get two sticks when I'm building desktops but I'm not sure if that even matters any more, force of habit at this point.

Never not dual sticks.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I see it's got 8GB RAM, is there room in there for a second stick if I want to upgrade down the line?

E: Also is dual-channel still significantly faster or has that changed? I always get two sticks when I'm building desktops but I'm not sure if that even matters any more, force of habit at this point.

It's more of an issue for Ryzen, especially the APUs, but it's always going to be a good idea to run in dual-channel mode (i.e. it will either not matter but not hurt, or help in certain workloads.) Ideally if you didn't want/need to upgrade you'd get a 2x4 GB configuration to start, but if you get a 1x8 GB system then you really should upgrade it to dual-channel, one way or the other.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Better check if that model can be upgraded ram wise, all the latest XPS13's have soldered on ram, but I'm not sure when they started doing that.

You'll also feel single vs dual channel if you plan to use the iGPU for light gaming.

Edit: Honestly, though, the question of "will single channel 8gb be enough for me?" is going to depend entirely on what you plan to use the computer for. Like, if it's a momtop, or just word/youtube/browsing, it'll be fine. But are there specific workloads that will benefit from dual channel? Certainly.

But yes, dual channel is better if possible.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 12, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Better check if that model can be upgraded ram wise, all the latest XPS13's have soldered on ram, but I'm not sure when they started doing that.

You'll also feel single vs dual channel if you plan to use the iGPU for light gaming.

But yes, dual channel is better if possible.

I'm sure technically there's a performance improvement, but in all the DDR computers I've had, I've never been able to "feel" the difference

Your milage may vary

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hadlock posted:

I'm sure technically there's a performance improvement, but in all the DDR computers I've had, I've never been able to "feel" the difference

Your milage may vary

I was specifically talking about iGPU gaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdStl2S4Oao

35 vs 16fps is something you definitely feel (first benchmark in that video, the rest show a similar trend). The performance difference between single and dual channel for iGPU 3d work is generally pretty consistently stark, so if light gaming is at all a priority for the OP, going single channel is even less advisable.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 12, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Never not dual sticks.

haha ah man yeah I remember getting the birds and the bees talk too

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well according to the product information sheet for the 7390 there's only one slot, which kind of sucks. 7490 has 2. Maximum capacity of 16GB. There is an option on the configuration for what looks like a dedicated GPU for something like $60 more I guess.

E: or not, the UHD 620 seems to still be integrated, maybe the difference (for 30 dollars, not 60) is that it has a Thunderbolt 3 slot for an eGPU.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 12, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The Dell Latitude 13" models (sorry I misread and thought you were talking about XPS13s before hence talking about soldered on ram) won't have a dGPU, if you mean on the Slickdeals page that mentions an Intel HD620, that's the integrated GPU which does benefit from dual channel ram by quite a lot. The i5-8350u and i7-8650u models will both have the HD620 iGPU.

Single channel ram will be fine for :justpost: ing and youtubing, but you did mention light gaming - what kind of games? For example, if it's just 2D indie game stuff like FTL, you can absolutely ignore the performance impact of single-channel ram.

But if you're going to be lowspecgaming like XCOM2 or whatever, then it probably matters more.

E: To be honest, I don't really think the gaming potential of an HD620 in single or dual-channel should be any kind of deciding factor here as you're very limited anyway. This is coming from someone who beat Mass Effects 1~3 on an HD4000, as well as recently XCOM2 on an HD615.

Like, for the other needs you posted, single channel ram will most likely be indistinguishable in day-to-day unless you run a specific application that benefits from dual-channel ram.

Not sure if light gaming is even that important to you, I've kind of tunnel-visioned in on it since it's the only area I see single-channel really mattering unless you use said app that specifically benefits from dual-channel.

8GB is a little lean these days if you are a filthy tab hoarder, however.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 12, 2020

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The current thing I play that would run on a laptop is Warframe, I've gotten it to run on lower specs than that decently enough (at Play-Doh texture quality). Other than that usually it would be indie stuff.

I was looking through Slickdeals and found this ASUS TUF for $500, I guess it would be something like $540 and a 2 hour round trip across Denver since it says in-store only. I don't really know anything about the ryzen laptop chips. It does say it has a second RAM slot though. 5lbs for the laptop is heavier than most laptops at this point but I'm coming from a 430 which I think is pretty similar. Thoughts on this model?

https://www.microcenter.com/product..._256GB_Solid_St

E: there's also this locally, with the bonus that the guy slapped a 1TB 860 in it that I would probably pull and stick in my desktop because I've been running out of space on my 240GB SSD for about a year now.

https://boulder.craigslist.org/sys/d/broomfield-asus-vivobook-f510ua-ah55/7065219625.html

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 12, 2020

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
A friend of mine asked me for advice but I'm not really up to date on laptops so here is the deal:

He's in the event management business (sports, music, corporate) and needs to be on location a lot, so he's looking for a desktop replacement machine for work and gaming.

software: Adobe Suite, AutoCAD, some interior design/space planning software

Budget: 3k EUR

From what I've seen so far, I get the feeling that he should look at something along the lines of an XMG ultra with a 9700, a 2070/80 and slap in some RAM and 2x1TB nvme drives himself.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I’ve got some real analysis paralysis with two Lenovo’s: x270 and t470.

Anyone ordered a t470 from the Lenovo site? I’m getting confused with what options are actually included (touchscreen, battery, fingerprint).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The x270 is significantly smaller, that is the biggest difference

My current work laptop is 15" and the sides of it dangle over there sides of my legs, whereas the x series fits neatly on my lap

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sounds like you need to work on getting thiccer thighs imo.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
If the one game I plan to play on my laptop, is cpu heavy and basically without a need for anything but a cheap gpu, should I wait for the new ryzen mobile cpus?

I will mostly do none intensive stuff, like watching video through HDMI, and just general browsing. Maybe some light drawing with my wacom tablet. Only football manager is what makes me want to go for something more high end.

Oh and I want 1440p as a minium.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The current thing I play that would run on a laptop is Warframe, I've gotten it to run on lower specs than that decently enough (at Play-Doh texture quality). Other than that usually it would be indie stuff.

I was looking through Slickdeals and found this ASUS TUF for $500, I guess it would be something like $540 and a 2 hour round trip across Denver since it says in-store only. I don't really know anything about the ryzen laptop chips. It does say it has a second RAM slot though. 5lbs for the laptop is heavier than most laptops at this point but I'm coming from a 430 which I think is pretty similar. Thoughts on this model?

https://www.microcenter.com/product..._256GB_Solid_St

E: there's also this locally, with the bonus that the guy slapped a 1TB 860 in it that I would probably pull and stick in my desktop because I've been running out of space on my 240GB SSD for about a year now.

https://boulder.craigslist.org/sys/d/broomfield-asus-vivobook-f510ua-ah55/7065219625.html

I don't know much about the Asus TUF laptops, but I do know it's their budget line. That AMD CPU is outclassed by the Intel 8250u in CPU-driven tasks, is about to be obsoleted by the coming AMD chips, but is fine for your proposed use case.

That laptop will be much much better at Warframe than an Intel iGPU due to the RX560 mobile which is similar to a GTX1050 in performance, so you could probably get some last-gen triple-A gaming out of that thing (like Battlefield 1 or what have you). I mean, I think you could max or near-max Warframe out at 1080p 60fps as it's not a hugely demanding game.

With that said, it's a completely different class of laptop to a Latitude 13" you were originally looking at - it's much bigger and bulkier, will have a much larger charger, less professional-looking, worse build quality, and will be considerably less convenient to take anywhere. Really it's sort of opposite in every way.

Notebookcheck liked it though: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-TUF-FX505DY-Ryzen-5-3550H-Radeon-RX-560X-Laptop-Review.412117.0.html

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Fair enough. I'm coming off of a T430, so bulky and professional aren't a huge factor, but if the 3500H is already outclassed by a 8250u and a GPU isn't a huge factor, I think I'm going to end up buying that one I linked off of CL. 16GB RAM, m.2 SSD, and a 860 1TB I can pull and shove in my desktop for game storage. Not a huge fan of going to a plastic bodied machine or Windows 10 Home again but whatever, not a huge deal. I'll just have to find an alternative to Bitlocker. And if it gets anywhere close to the 5.5 hours of battery life that the review mentioned I am way ahead of where this 430 ever was.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

gently caress, just when I think I've decided, someone is selling a XPS 15 with 16GB, 512gb SSD, and 4k display for $600. Is there anything wrong with the XPS15 or is it just that compared to other models that aren't trying to look like respectable grown-up computers it can't do as much due to heat throttling?

Apparently the battery life is supposed to be fantastic, so between the aluminum chassis, the battery life, and the display, there may be enough QoL reasons for me to just spend the extra $100 over the Asus and buy a second SSD when the next big sale happens. Which might be this weekend, actually.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The XPS15 is very good, better than the vivobook for sure. Better cpu (h series), dgpu. Throttles, but undervolting can mitigate.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, sent the guy a message, hopefully I can pick that up. I can't see ever spending $1500 on a laptop, let alone the $2600 he said he spent on it last year, but I'll pay $600 for something that cost that much a year ago.

Exception: if I had a job that required constant travel I would probably buy a Sager to keep me entertained at the hotel after work.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay, sent the guy a message, hopefully I can pick that up. I can't see ever spending $1500 on a laptop, let alone the $2600 he said he spent on it last year, but I'll pay $600 for something that cost that much a year ago.

Speaking of which, my Razer Blade Stealth just came in and it's very nice. Will keep throwing things at it and see how it handles it, but so far it's extremely snappy and feels good.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Doh004 posted:

Speaking of which, my Razer Blade Stealth just came in and it's very nice. Will keep throwing things at it and see how it handles it, but so far it's extremely snappy and feels good.

Did you get the 1650 model? I'd be interested in impressions, particularly on noise under load.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

22 Eargesplitten posted:

gently caress, just when I think I've decided, someone is selling a XPS 15 with 16GB, 512gb SSD, and 4k display for $600. Is there anything wrong with the XPS15 or is it just that compared to other models that aren't trying to look like respectable grown-up computers it can't do as much due to heat throttling?

Apparently the battery life is supposed to be fantastic, so between the aluminum chassis, the battery life, and the display, there may be enough QoL reasons for me to just spend the extra $100 over the Asus and buy a second SSD when the next big sale happens. Which might be this weekend, actually.

The XPS is a great all-rounder and highly recommend. Do note that the XPS only has one M.2 slot, so you'd have to replace the existing drive if you wanted to expand. It's easy to do, but it just doesn't have a second slot like the X1E or some others do.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

VorpalFish posted:

Did you get the 1650 model? I'd be interested in impressions, particularly on noise under load.

I did yes! Had WoW classic running, Twitch and some windows updates happening in the background and the fans were definitely blowing. It was also on my bed so probably not the best breathability on my duvet.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

DrDork posted:

The XPS is a great all-rounder and highly recommend. Do note that the XPS only has one M.2 slot, so you'd have to replace the existing drive if you wanted to expand. It's easy to do, but it just doesn't have a second slot like the X1E or some others do.

Thanks.

No reply from the dude yet, how are the EVOO gaming laptops? There's a refurb one with a 9750, 16GB, 256GB SSD, and a 1650 (least important part) for something like $525-550 on Ebay. Need to check the seller's reputation though.

Kind of iffy on buying a Chinese-brand laptop ever since the whole Superfish thing though. I know all the parts for laptops are made in China anyway, but at least Dell and HP aren't installing BIOS-level rootkits, that we know of.

Joker
Aug 6, 2001

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks.

No reply from the dude yet, how are the EVOO gaming laptops? There's a refurb one with a 9750, 16GB, 256GB SSD, and a 1650 (least important part) for something like $525-550 on Ebay. Need to check the seller's reputation though.

Kind of iffy on buying a Chinese-brand laptop ever since the whole Superfish thing though. I know all the parts for laptops are made in China anyway, but at least Dell and HP aren't installing BIOS-level rootkits, that we know of.

The EVOOs are actually getting amazing reviews. The cooling seems to be great on them. Some people complain about the keyboard, but others don’t find it an issue. The downside is that no one knows what the customer service is going to be like. I almost bought the 17inch when it was 999, but waited too long.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks.

That particular model is a Walmart house brand and has gone of sale for $650 occasionally, so you're saving ~$100 buying refurb. My main concern would be that there is no warranty on it, even when buying new the warranty is just returning into back to Walmart within the 90-day return policy.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks.

FYI those Walmart-brand gaming laptops have all been Tongfeng systems, which make laptops that are rebranded by the various boutique vendors (e.g. CyberPower, Origin, Eluktronics, etc.) The brand is weird, yes, but the actual hardware is more common than you'd think and is well-reviewed.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So they've got a decent enough track record I could trust them not to be sending my homegrown to Xi Jinpeng?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So they've got a decent enough track record I could trust them not to be sending my homegrown to Xi Jinpeng?

It's safe to say that it's unlikely .

But not impossible by any means. It just depends who you want to put your trust in. Besides, you're in IT! Smh If you're not monitoring your home network

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have Wireshark, I have no idea how to use it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have Wireshark, I have no idea how to use it.

Run it

Watch poo poo scroll by

Say "Hmmm"

Then close it

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Run it

Watch poo poo scroll by

Say "Hmmm"

Then close it

:hmmyes:

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

22 Eargesplitten posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies

Good luck!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That story was absolute, complete, and total hogwash. While it's not impossible that something like that MIGHT happen, Supermicro 1) came out completely squeaky clean after an audit, 2) was already in the process of pushing more of their production out to Taiwan, and 3) accelerated plans for a new 800,000 ft^2 facility there.

Bloomberg won't back down or retract their story despite the clean internal and external audit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That story was absolute, complete, and total hogwash. While it's not impossible that something like that MIGHT happen, Supermicro 1) came out completely squeaky clean after an audit, 2) was already in the process of pushing more of their production out to Taiwan, and 3) accelerated plans for a new 800,000 ft^2 facility there.

Bloomberg won't back down or retract their story despite the clean internal and external audit.

Not to mention Supermicro's actual customers like Apple, who have the most to lose from a situation like this, came out and said "we had our own security teams looks at it and it's complete horseshit".

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pretty shameful that there hasn't been any retraction or any follow up from Bloomberg. Huge blunder. Usually when there's a breaking story from one news source all the other outlets jump on it to report on it or corroborate it. Nobody else has yet to find any proof of Bloomberg's claims.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ended up ordering one of the EVOO laptops. I missed out on the refurb, but got a brand new one and apparently they have a 1 year warranty from what I'm reading although I'm guessing with such a small manufacturer it will be a pain if I have to use it. Still got it for $645 shipped after tax, and the 9750H is apparently pretty comparable to a desktop 8400 so it should last a long time as long as it doesn't break.

I wonder how many spare parts are available since they're the OEM for so many manufacturers.

Thinking of maybe picking up an Xbox controller and chilling on my bed playing Witcher and racing games.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 16, 2020

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
If I'm mostly interested in a laptop with a decent cpu, is it worth waiting for the new ryzen laptop chips? Honestly laptop CPU's confuses me quite a bit. Seeing a lot of expensive laptops with low clocks (like 1.8 and poo poo) but with a high boost. Is that alright?

Mostly I just want to play football manager (heavily CPU dependent, barely need a gpu), a bit of light drawing with my wacom tablet (which is why I want a higher res than 1080p), and use the laptop to watch movies on at work, at my extremely active job, where I can plug it into a tv. Budget isnt a huge worry, but wouldnt want to buy now, if something quite a bit better is right around the corner. At the moment I am thinking of this Lenovo Extreme X1 Thinkpad at a decent deal used

Intel Core i7-8750H 2,2GHz (4,2GHz turbo mode)
Ram: 32GB
1TB SSD
2TB SSD
Screen: 15,6" 4K (3840x2160) HDR m/Multi-touch, IR+720p
GPU: 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050 Ti + Intel UHD630

A bit overkill for my needs, considering I wont really be gaming anything but football manager on it, and I got a good gaming desktop at home. But... It also does seem quite sexy and I loved my old thinkpad. Love that mouse clit and like having room to work with.

I previously had some lenovo yoga thing, one of the early generations of it. I accidentally fried it by having windows update while in my bag, in +35 Celsius weather. It somehow still turns on, but it got.... Ehm... signs of death.

Woodenlung fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I have a Mid-2014 MBPR 13" BTO that I basically only use when heading out of town, and using Mac OS hasn't gone swimmingly well, so I'm looking for something different.

Does anyone have experience with the Lenovo Yoga C940? I'm kind of eyeing the 4K config, and I'm also flirting with the idea of picking up an eGPU and seeing how that works first hand.