Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!
more liek wood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

the takeout is part of the onion

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shame Boy posted:

Florida does that too but apparently it doesn't apply to gays or something? I know they got her like right after she turned 18 so maybe they just happened to be far enough apart for it to not apply.

Well you got "deaths" right at least:

It was literally the first thing I could think of that I guessed would show this pattern and yeeep :v:

Utah’s large families and consequent low median age keep their heart disease stats down.

I don’t know New Mexico’s secret. It’s a very poor state, but it is still doing all right on heart disease.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

whaley posted:

the takeout is part of the onion

it’s part of the ‘family’ but it isn’t satire. It’s the food version of the AV club so yes it’s going to have satirical posts but it is ostensibly just a food blog

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Utah’s large families and consequent low median age keep their heart disease stats down.

I don’t know New Mexico’s secret. It’s a very poor state, but it is still doing all right on heart disease.

I'm genuinely surprised that Maine, New Hampshire, West Virginia and Vermont have an older population than Florida. I mean I guess it makes sense, Florida has a massive population compared to those states and is a lot more diverse these days than it's "where old people go to die" image, but still surprising.

I guess also the pressure pushing young people away from places like WV is much stronger than it is here.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This is the one that finally broke me. God loving drat it that is some powerfully stupid poo poo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm assuming a "sustainable diamond" isn't one made from plant based carbon and a solar powered machine

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I thought, "surely, surely, that screenshot can't be real!"

https://twitter.com/TheLaurenChen/status/1227246487874265088

:negative:

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Platystemon posted:

wow, it bodes well that bernie won one of the oldest states in the nation

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Shame Boy posted:

I'm genuinely surprised that Maine, New Hampshire, West Virginia and Vermont have an older population than Florida. I mean I guess it makes sense, Florida has a massive population compared to those states and is a lot more diverse these days than it's "where old people go to die" image, but still surprising.

I guess also the pressure pushing young people away from places like WV is much stronger than it is here.

rural places shed educated young people and have been since post wwii. in new hampshires's case, it is both rural and expensive (relatively). i had to leave in my 20s because I couldn't afford to live there making $30k a year. i moved back once i could afford to pay $1,900 in rent instead of $294/mo i paid in iowa. minimum wage in nh is still $7.25. I have no idea how anyone making $12/hr or less can survive here

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm assuming a "sustainable diamond" isn't one made from plant based carbon and a solar powered machine

Diamonds are not only just rocks from the ground, you can also grow them real big in a lab and they're way better that way

edit: int he future diamonds will be socialized

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 00:12 on Feb 14, 2020

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

once fully automated luxury gay space communism is here, we'll just send unmanned craft to Jupiter and Saturn to catch buckets full of diamonds raining from the sky. no need to have workers labor for diamonds in a lab, comrade

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Eat This Glob posted:

rural places shed educated young people and have been since post wwii. in new hampshires's case, it is both rural and expensive (relatively). i had to leave in my 20s because I couldn't afford to live there making $30k a year. i moved back once i could afford to pay $1,900 in rent instead of $294/mo i paid in iowa. minimum wage in nh is still $7.25. I have no idea how anyone making $12/hr or less can survive here

They pretty much can't which is why the majority of people in New Hampshire were not born there.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
[quote="The multi-million-dollar 'dummy director' scam using vulnerable Australians to rip off the tax office
"]
Sitting in the gloom of his housing commission apartment amid a smell of stale cigarettes and motor oil, you would not know Rod Jackson was a director of more than two dozen companies.

Then again, neither would he.
...a small group of accountants spent years targeting drug users, homeless people and those down on their luck in order to help clients cheat the tax man and other creditors.
[/quote]

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Doggles posted:

I thought, "surely, surely, that screenshot can't be real!"

https://twitter.com/TheLaurenChen/status/1227246487874265088

:negative:

Meh, Jane Fonda has been protesting and getting arrested for weeks at 81, she can be dumb on other stuff.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
haha lauren chen

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

withak posted:

Hellow I would like to order the paper cup of penises with a glass of red wine.

Wouldn't we all.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

MonsieurChoc posted:

Meh, Jane Fonda has been protesting and getting arrested for weeks at 81, she can be dumb on other stuff.

hanoi jane strikes again

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
How ethical is gold harvested from the decapitated bodies of elites?

Asking for a friend.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

ynohtna posted:

How ethical is gold harvested from the decapitated bodies of elites?

Asking for a friend.

That's recycling and it kicks rear end.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Gumball Gumption posted:

They pretty much can't which is why the majority of people in New Hampshire were not born there.

If California is anything to go by, every apartment has a poo poo ton of roommates.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Modest Mao posted:

Diamonds are not only just rocks from the ground, you can also grow them real big in a lab and they're way better that way

edit: int he future diamonds will be socialized

I think that's the joke, that these are probably not synthetic diamonds made sustainably out of renewable power and trees or w/e but instead we paid third world miners $5 each for them instead of just threatening to murder them

e: Oh and we bought some carbon credits too!

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Racism is officially cancelled :colbert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Koishi Komeiji posted:

How many boomers are ranting about this on Facebook right now?

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

glad someone is finally shedding light on harriet tubman’s efforts to free the wakandan people

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I think you forgot that racism was already ended forever by Rosa Parks:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Iron Crowned posted:

How many boomers are ranting about this on Facebook right now?

i see more people complaining that shes giving the wakanda salute

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

the only thing I don’t like about these articles is that they conflate net worth and yearly gross income. the house isn’t worth 0.125% of Bezos’ yearly income.

it’s often much worse than their example given that many Americans just straight up have a negative net worth, meaning the only relevant analogy would be you getting paid to take ownership of a house.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I try to take heart from the fact that the left at least won the messaging war enough that even the political right has to pay lip service to racism being bad.

And then I get depressed because you just end up with a lot of "I'm not racist, but..."

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

Maine (and to a lesser extent NH and Vermont) has a ton of dying small towns where the main industry of hunting/fishing/whatever is no longer profitable and nobody moves there because they're hours away from any sort of urban center. The population just doesn't get replaced. The effect is strongest in Maine because of how loving big it is. Southern Maine's demographics are normal but for the rest of the state, anything outside of augusta/bangor is getting this effect real bad.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lemony posted:

I try to take heart from the fact that the left at least won the messaging war enough that even the political right has to pay lip service to racism being bad.

Well that's exactly what the dems do too......OH. Heh.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Did that gesture mean something before it meant Wakanda forever?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

Discommendation
:goonsay:

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

it’s supposed to be asl for “love” but lol cmon, that’s a black-owned bank, they knew what they were doing

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lol what do you think?

https://www.syracuse.com/business/2020/02/does-new-bank-card-show-harriet-tubman-doing-wakanda-forever-salute.html

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Lmfao

I dunno, my extent of black history is based on rural oklahoma school teachings (i learned about the tulsa race riots at age 33) and twitter.

It could be a very respectful thing that has a lot of meaning a heritage behind it for all I know.

But yah, its prob wakanda cause this is hell world

Mouth Ze Dong has issued a correction as of 20:09 on Feb 14, 2020

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Interesting stuff...

Pomellato Jewelry posted:

http://www.pomellato.com/us/identity/sustainability/

Sustainable Sourcing
Pomellato monitors and evaluates its environmental impact through the Environmental Profit & Loss account (a link to this document is available at https://www.kering.com), published each year by the Kering Group. The company has obtained Responsible Jewellery Council Certification and has reached its aim of 100% responsible gold sourcing via Kering’s RESPONSIBLE Gold Framework.

Alongside this core objective is our constant pursuit of sustainable silver sources and the transparent and traceable sourcing of diamonds and coloured stones.

Kering posted:

https://www.kering.com/en/sustainability/our-approach/

Our approach
“Luxury and sustainability are one and the same.” Reflecting this deeply held conviction of François-Henri Pinault, sustainability has always been at the heart of Kering’s strategy. Far more than an ethical necessity, it is a driver of innovation and value creation for the Group, its Houses, and its stakeholders.

Governance
Sustainability is represented at every level of our governance, from the Board of Directors and the Sustainability Committee to the managers of our Houses and the Sustainability Leads. Altogether, some fifty members of our staff are involved in the implementation of our roadmap.

https://www.kering.com/en/sustainability/our-approach/governance/

Governance
Sustainability is represented at every level of our governance, from the Board of Directors and the Sustainability Committee to the managers of our Houses and the Sustainability Leads. Altogether, some fifty members of our staff are involved in the implementation of our roadmap.

https://www.kering.com/en/sustainability/our-approach/historic-commitment/

Historic commitment
Kering and sustainability share a long history. Discover some of our commitment milestones.

By establishing its first Code of Ethics, the Group — then known as PPR — shows willingness to place social and environmental responsibility at the center of its operations and organization.

Kering assembles a Sustainability Team and sets up a digital environmental reporting platform.

The Group publishes its first Code of Ethics reflecting Kering’s ethical principles, convictions and commitments regarding business conduct. Translated into 12 languages, it is issued to all employees. Kering establishes a Group Ethics Committee to ensure code implementation and monitor on-the-ground feedback.

Creation of a Sustainability Department that sits on the Executive Committee and reports directly to the CEO.

Creation of the Kering Foundation whose purpose is to combat violence against women. Chaired by François-Henri Pinault, the Foundation's actions focus on three areas: supporting local and international NGOs, financing social entrepreneurship and launching public awareness campaigns.

The Group and several of its brands actively support Home, a film directed by Yann Arthus-Bertrand to increase public awareness of the consequences of global warming. Released in cinemas over 100 countries on June 5, 2009, World Environment Day, the documentary made a lasting impression through its aerial shots, raising awareness of our responsibility as regards the planet and its inhabitants. Nearly 150 million people have watched it.

Attaining sustainability targets is included in criteria for measuring performance and calculating executives’ bonuses.

The Group publishes a trial Environmental Profit & Loss account (EP&L), an innovative tool that measures, in monetary terms, the impact of business activities on the environment.

Kering announces a series of sustainability targets to attain by 2016. The well-outlined and ambitious program concerns all the Group’s brands.
The Group also creates a Sustainability Committee within the Board of Directors.

Kering is listed on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) World & Europe and the CDP Climate Disclosure Leadership Index (CDLI) France.

Following reassessment in 2009, Kering’s Code of Ethics is updated and again issued to all employees. At the same time, the Group bolsters its organization by creating two regional Ethics Committees (APAC and Americas), and an “ethics hotline” in countries where it operates.

Kering creates the Materials Innovation Lab (MIL), a library of sustainable fabric and textile samples. Brands’ creative teams can access and choose sustainable and responsible alternatives for their collections. The library’s selection of more than 3,000 samples is based in Italy and continually renewed. Consistent with the Group’s scope, it operates as a genuine platform for materials and processes.

Kering launches an ethics training campaign for the Group’s employees. It highlights Kering’s commitments in key ethical areas: fighting corruption, fraud, conflict of interest, respect for the individual, human rights, environmental protection, business confidentiality, etc. It includes role-play scenarios that mirror challenges Group employees may have to face. The training program is held every year.

A collaboration between Kering, the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and the International Trade Centre (ITC), the ‘Python Conservation Partnership’ aims to improve the industry’s practices.

The release of Kering’s first Group Environmental Profit & Loss (E P&L) account paves the way for new business insight and encourages enterprises to devise innovative solutions to assess their environmental impact.

Design students and the fashion industry can use the intuitive My EP&L app to immediately visualize and compare the environmental impact of a creation, from sourcing through to store sales.

Kering presents the three pillars of its 2025 Sustainability strategy: Care, Collaborate, Create. New targets and renewed ambition: Crafting tomorrow’s Luxury.

Kering partners with the ‘Fashion for Good-Plug and Play’ start-up accelerator. Group targets: drive disruptive innovation, transform established processes and encourage overall adoption of more sustainable practices.

For the third time, Kering is named the industry leader for Textiles, Apparel and Luxury Goods in the 2017 Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI), and the world’s most sustainable textile, apparel and luxury goods corporation, according to the Corporate Knights’ Global 100 index.

LVMH and Kering co-create a Charter to safeguard fashion models’ working relations and well-being. It focuses on three key areas: models’ well-being, their image in society, and specific regulations for minors.

Kering and the London College of Fashion launch fashion and sustainability open-access online courses (MOOCs). Combining videos, podcasts, exercises and discussions, the MOOCs cater to professionals, students and the general public interested in promoting sustainable practices for the greater good.

Kering publishes the Kering Standards, an official list of advanced industry environmental and social requirements for its brands and suppliers.

Kering’s ethics alert system (committees and hotline) becomes accessible to the Group’s partners.

Kering publishes its 2017 integrated report, the first of its kind in the luxury sector.

Kering was ranked the second most sustainable company in the world across all sectors in the 2019 Corporate Knights Global 100 ranking. As in 2018, the Group topped the "Textile, Apparel and Luxury” sector.

Kering announces its Houses will work exclusively with models aged over 18 as of 2020, an additional step in regard to the Charter on the working relations and well-being of models drawn up in 2017.

https://www.kering.com/en/sustainability/environmental-profit-loss/

Environmental Profit & Loss
Kering has developed an innovative tool for measuring and quantifying the environmental impact of its activities. The Environmental Profit & Loss (EP&L) account is a key enabler of a sustainable business model, and one that Kering wishes to share with its peers in the Luxury industry and other sectors.

A decision-support tool
The EP&L measures carbon emissions, water consumption, air and water pollution, land use, and waste production along the entire supply chain, thereby making the various environmental impacts of the Group’s activities visible, quantifiable, and comparable. These impacts are then converted into monetary values to quantify the use of natural resources. Kering can thus use the EP&L to guide its sustainability strategy, improve its processes and supply sources, and choose the best-adapted technologies.

Transparency, sharing and continuous improvement
Because the EP&L is a tool for the greater good, Kering is sharing its methodology with other companies, in its own industry and beyond, to encourage a general movement toward greater sustainability. The methodology is continually evolving to take into account the lessons of previous years. The EP&L features a “scenario” modeling tool with dynamic visualization of results so that the impact of a potential decision or future project on the EP&L footprint is immediately known, in real-time. Adding to the efficiency of the EP&L methodology are lifecycle inventories and the inclusion of the Kering Standards, which were first published in 2018.

Glad I can help
v v v

anonumos has issued a correction as of 20:57 on Feb 14, 2020

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!
yeah i read all that for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Menacer posted:

yeah i read all that for sure

It says that while they may source diamonds which result in the hands of laborors being chopped off, they buy an appropriate amount of hand chop offsets. This funds replacement limbs for war orphans.