Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
through the miracle of youtube recommendations i have learned that for some ungodly reason somebody has decided to copy the CinemaSins format and apply it to wrestling so enjoy over 100 stupid wrestling fan opinions in a single video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuJFqXSZ_UM

edit: oh god this has been going on for years and it's awful

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Episode #488 oh god there's so many of them

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Do people understand CinemaSins was/is a comedy series? Because I cannot think of a joke funny if you told it 488 times.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know what a CinemaSins is but I got 90 seconds into that before I just hated everyone and everything.

Which, in fairness, is my reaction to a lot of Youtube shows.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

karmicknight posted:

Do people understand CinemaSins was/is a comedy series? Because I cannot think of a joke funny if you told it 488 times.

Cinema Sins doesn't understand that so why would any of their copycats?

Ding.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Fair point actually.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Burn Down Canberra posted:

WReddit is having a struggle session over some of the vile transphobia coming out of scjerk. Before AEW was the most popular alternative it was xenophobia towards Japanese people but the head mod is in there acting like its isolated. Id been reporting transphobia comments for weeks that he couldnt be hosed removing, so its not like he didn't know his sub is full of moronic bigots

Reporting awful poo poo on Reddit is like spitting into the ocean. Just walk away haha

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

karmicknight posted:

I hate cinema sins and the trend it started. It just lead to overall more negativity online and a "actually nothing is good, stupid" mentality.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Like everything else, cinema sins is not good!

E: I used to like cinema sins and honest trailers but they did get old after a while. I love the pitch meetings now, but I’m sure those will get old too https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jAhKOV3nImQ (in fact I’m already getting annoyed by how he shoehorns the same phrases into every one)

WrasslorMonkey fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 14, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

yeah, I've never enjoyed those things in part because they always seem to set themselves as superior to the product. It's very "look at these dummies and the bad thing they made".

I'd contrast this with something like Botchamania, which calls attention to fuckups but does it without seeming above the product. It's much more in good fun. Which is why wrestlers will do things like bumpers for Botchamania etc, because it's a joke they're included in.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Lamuella posted:

yeah, I've never enjoyed those things in part because they always seem to set themselves as superior to the product. It's very "look at these dummies and the bad thing they made".

I'd contrast this with something like Botchamania, which calls attention to fuckups but does it without seeming above the product. It's much more in good fun. Which is why wrestlers will do things like bumpers for Botchamania etc, because it's a joke they're included in.
Yeah, it helps that Botchamania treats messed up spots (and lines) as a natural, inevitable occurrence that happens to everyone in wrestling.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Fellow goon Kamoc made this really good video a while ago about why Cinemasins sucks, and it applies just as much to their imitators: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELEAsGoP-5I

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
cinemasins has fed an entire generation of dumbfucks that believe film criticism means pointing out "plot holes" and not engaging with the text whatsoever

"look at this dali painting! everyone knows clocks don't melt like that! EPIC FAIL! *ding*"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its weird but until now I don't think I ever even considered that there was a united source for all the nitpicky, overly long, tedious, obnoxious youtube "everything wrong with..." videos. They just seems so prolific and the internet is so filled with people anxious to do it I guess I just assumed it was a naturally occurring event.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The only good thing CS ever produced was that open letter to Marvel calling them idiots for having Civil War go up against BVS because there was no way they could compete with them. It's great schadenfreude.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I do like how Botchamania approach the thing but there are people who are hyper obsessed with "botches" in wrestling to the point where unless something is 100% smooth they point it out and its annoying. Almost like they are judging pro wrestling as if its Olympic gymnastics and not a simulated combat sports where things shouldn't look smooth all the time.

Basically botches are actually good and add to matches: provided that everyone in the match adapts to them and don't just redo things that they messed up right away.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The problem with CS is that there are not enough legitimately bad movies being made for them to make content from so they have to give themselves brain damage and nitpick decent movies for every tiny issue or gently caress up. The format is funny but only when used on absolute trainwrecks of movies.

My favorite botchamania videos are ones where they botch a spot, set it back up, and then botch again. Fat boys hitting tables over and over again until it finally breaks

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 15, 2020

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

IceAgeComing posted:

I do like how Botchamania approach the thing but there are people who are hyper obsessed with "botches" in wrestling to the point where unless something is 100% smooth they point it out and its annoying. Almost like they are judging pro wrestling as if its Olympic gymnastics and not a simulated combat sports where things shouldn't look smooth all the time.

Basically botches are actually good and add to matches: provided that everyone in the match adapts to them and don't just redo things that they messed up right away.

People that are obsessed with botches should be punched in the face and asked to recite the ABCs, with repeated punches in cases of faltering or confusion. Then they’ll understand that sometimes poo poo happens.

That said botchamania is funny stuff.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Idk if botchamania still does the “its taz!” bit but it always made me laugh

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Y'all should check out CinemaWins:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8h3ri2WN_-IbviBlWtUcQ

They go out of their way to find the good parts in some of the worst movies out there. They're a much needed response to CinemaSins. I like the channel a bunch.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
CinemaSins used to be funny but then idiots took it seriously and started treating it like real film criticism. One of these idiots was CinemaSins, so it's not very funny anymore.

This may also be a product of The Algorithm forcing them to make longer videos.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lamuella posted:

Excalibur even made a Botchamania reference on the last episode about Nyla failing to put Riho through a table. And there's a good 2-3 minutes per episode of Botchamania that's just the AEW commentators tripping over their words and JR using the wrong names.

Knowing JR's reputation as a color commentator more than his actual work outside of AEW, was he always that prone to malapropism? Them making mistakes is kind of part of the charm for me, like they're so excited by what they are seeing that they start making mistakes.

The Emi Sakura Freddie Mercury thing was a pretty big "Jesus, Grandpa" moment, though.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The only time botches are really a problem is if someone gets hurt or it ruins the finish. Otherwise who could possibly care, poo poo happens and it's supposed to look like a struggle anyway.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't like when a botch happens and then the two people re-do an unnatural elaborate timing setup for the same thing right after that because of panic or whatever causes that to happen. just move on to the next move in those situations. i forgive you if you don't do what i want.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Provided a commentator is good at the important bits of commentary messing up a few names also isn't an issue. One of the best sports commentators in UK history was Murray Walker: he did F1 races and he was infamous for getting over-excited and mixing up drivers and saying things that didn't really make any sense but no one really cared since it was just what he did; he had a good sense of humour about it and you could feel the passion that he had for the sport which helps to cover up things that would be major problems. I think JR might have had that at some point and now doesn't really; at least for a lot of AEW's product and it perhaps helps people notice things he doesn't do quite right that they'd have overlooked in the past. It was massively clear with his New Japan stuff when you could tell that he didn't like most of the people or matches and it made those shows basically impossible to watch with English commentary.

Basically passion is the most important thing; commentary on any sport is at its best when it feels like you are watching with a well informed person that's a massive fan of whatever they are working on and therefore really care about what they are doing. If someone stinks as an announcer all of the passion in the world doesn't help mind; but a lack of passion sinks even the best.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I want Murray Walker to do guest commentary for Dark when AEW goes to the UK.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

hunnert car pileup posted:

I want Murray Walker to do guest commentary for Dark when AEW goes to the UK.

AEW Tribute To World Of Sport, featuring Herman Tumbles, The Solicitor Porter Tweed, Chip and Cheeky Brigadoon (tag team legends the Interesting Brigadoon Brothers), Large Son (son of the legendary Large Father), and Grado.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cavauro posted:

i don't like when a botch happens and then the two people re-do an unnatural elaborate timing setup for the same thing right after that because of panic or whatever causes that to happen. just move on to the next move in those situations. i forgive you if you don't do what i want.

This is part of the reason why Asuka vs Akito was my MOTY last year, there's a point where Asuka kicks the light tube and it doesn't break, and instead of just kicking it again like a moron she just moved on to a different spot and they went another minute or so before breaking it.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I think about that match at least once a week. It's so good.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Asuka is so creative for a 21-year-old. I really hope she has a breakout performance WM weekend. Hopefully she gets more bookings than just the one at Effy's show.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the following is a lie I asked tk and hes cool with aew bits being put on botchamania, holds talent accountable and it's free advertising

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

wrong thread for a thought i had, because you're not allowed to post bad poo poo from posters on this forum. I'm sorry. by the way i am talking about myself there. don't say the same thing i said while believing i didn't say it

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

you arent forgiven and I want my 3xl impractical jokers hoodie back

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I liked during Omega/Moxley when Omega couldn't hold onto the chain and Excalibur started yelling about how the chain slipped because of the blood on Omega's hands.

Excalibur is really good at covering for botches in ways that aren't just "errrr didn't get all of it"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Knowing JR's reputation as a color commentator more than his actual work outside of AEW, was he always that prone to malapropism? Them making mistakes is kind of part of the charm for me, like they're so excited by what they are seeing that they start making mistakes.

Honestly it's just JR getting a bit old. I think he's improved a bit as the show's gone on, but he has old man brain, which is forgivable because he's an old man.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
JR is half-asleep when he's just duo casting with Excalibur but he wakes up when Tony's on the show, and is back, almost at his peak, when there's some kind of old school blood feud happening like Cody/Dustin and I'm sure he'll be back in form for the steel cage match

But yeah, he's either slow/not paying a lot of attention/sometimes problematic a bulk of the time. They'd probably do better to have a female commentator during women's matches and I still nominate Kris Wolf.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

as kids we used to laugh about JR getting move names wrong and that was 20-something years ago

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it was good when he used to call all the chrises and christian eachothers names in every match

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
:bahgawd: Walls of Jericho by Benoit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

there's probably one Hardy Boys match JR ever called where he got their dumb move names right, he's a man who simply refused to learn what a "whisper in the wind" was