Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Platystemon posted:

Because the bonding material never solidifies, I think it has to be gluing.
Oh, no, it solidifies. I've heard of using EZ cheese as a spray patch on the in-house in-yard trailers at the EZ Cheese warehouse.

Entirely possible it was a bad game of leg pulling telephone about the patch but you can check it harden yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Humphreys posted:

Don't put stickers on your hardhat. Apparently it fucks with the plastics and makes them weaker. The source of this information is my own hardhat with a load of reflective tape and my company stickers all over. Was denied them on quite a few sites and had to use the lovely 'visitor' hats.

That is the biggest load of bs I've ever heard regarding hard hats, and that's including "You can't have the brim backwards because they aren't rated for them" (MSA's website says it's fine)

GC's will actually issue you safety training stickers for your hard hat specifically so they can see if you've been trained easily.

I just got back from a ski trip so I happen to have a picture of my newest hardhat sticker on my phone.

zedprime posted:

If you are wearing brim backwards you should have the harness rotated appropriately or else it's hard to get the harness both comfortable and actually protecting your head. Can't just spin it like a cap in other words.

Stickers are, ehh, they probably shouldn't affect inspection too much but you know there's guys using them specifically to cover spiderwebs.

Ok if I'm wearing the harness backwards too, wtf, that's just stupid.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 14, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you are wearing brim backwards you should have the harness rotated appropriately or else it's hard to get the harness both comfortable and actually protecting your head. Can't just spin it like a cap in other words.

Stickers are, ehh, they probably shouldn't affect inspection too much but you know there's guys using them specifically to cover spiderwebs.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Good thing OSHA has a ruling on hard hat stickers.

OSHA posted:

OSHA would consider painting or placing adhesive stickers acceptable if the manufacturer authorizes the alteration or the employer can demonstrate that the reliability of the helmet is not affected by the paint or the adhesive on the stickers; and the paint or placement of stickers would not reduce the ability to identify defects (i.e., use of see-through stickers) or other conditions that would indicate a reduced reliability.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 14, 2020

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
lol at the thought of paint on your helmet making it unusable, I suppose painters will have to replace their hardhats every day

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

AFewBricksShy posted:

Ok if I'm wearing the harness backwards too, wtf, that's just stupid.
No shortage of newbies who spin their hat as is and be like "ima welder now"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Nenonen posted:

lol at the thought of paint on your helmet making it unusable, I suppose painters will have to replace their hardhats every day

If you've painted the whole thing that could be cause for concern. (For example, you might have taken a busted helmet and painted it to hide the bustedness).

No-one cares about little splashes of paint or anything like that.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jabor posted:

If you've painted the whole thing that could be cause for concern. (For example, you might have taken a busted helmet and painted it to hide the bustedness).

No-one cares about little splashes of paint or anything like that.

Still though if you're painting indoors with a high pressure paint sprayer then your everything will be fully covered by tiny paint droplets in no time. If some unreasonable dick followed that code literally then you'd have to throw the helmet away after one use.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
When this job is done I’m definitely putting the stickers I’ve accumulated on my hard hat, but I haven’t stuck any beyond the training ones. I’ve never been told not to, and a lot of the subs have ones with a fair few stickers, but I work for the GC and I haven’t seen any of our guys with them so I’m holding off.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Stickers act as a laminate like safety glass...there's like a zero percent chance the adhesive fucks with the plastic, unless you're using acetone to remove them periodically and melting the hat in spots. Also stickers make you look tough, and accidents never happen to tough guys.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When this job is done I’m definitely putting the stickers I’ve accumulated on my hard hat, but I haven’t stuck any beyond the training ones. I’ve never been told not to, and a lot of the subs have ones with a fair few stickers, but I work for the GC and I haven’t seen any of our guys with them so I’m holding off.

Weirdly enough I rarely see GC's with the stickered out helmets. Any sub usually has theirs covered though.

I do what my grandfather (Op Engineer) did and replace them every couple of years and then hang them up in my basement.

I kind of like the new style that looks like a climbing helmet, but I can't see myself using the chinstrap.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 14, 2020

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
A job site I was on used color-coded stickers to quickly see if someone was trained to be using the equipment they were on (forklifts, etc.). Seems like a good system to me :shrug:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You'd think if that was a major problem someone would have invented an adhesive that doesn't cause it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nocheez posted:

A job site I was on used color-coded stickers to quickly see if someone was trained to be using the equipment they were on (forklifts, etc.). Seems like a good system to me :shrug:

Kind of like this? Yes my desk is a loving mess, I know.

Basically, I can look at someone’s helmet and if I see a dude without a purple sticker on a scaffold I know he’s not supposed to be there.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 14, 2020

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
As long as you can sharpie a cock and balls onto it, it will be fine.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nocheez posted:

Did someone say forklift operators?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

If I had to wear hard-hat for work, I'd have SCP stickers.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

LifeSunDeath posted:

If I had to wear hard-hat for work, I'd have SCP stickers.

I feel like the symbology should be different between them, just having it be color coded seems like a potential weakness in the design.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Imagine the poor colorblind schmuck working at SCP, whistling into a cell for what he thought was a safe object but would teleport him to a hell dimension.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

f#a# posted:

Imagine the poor colorblind schmuck working at SCP, whistling into a cell for what he thought was a safe object but would teleport him to a hell dimension.

Class D personnel are like chuds, totally disposable.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

The Lifeboat Foundation did the symbology better

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

Class D personnel are like chuds, totally disposable.

There's always the possibility that a Class D, whilst being mulched by some whack Keter horror, somehow triggers an XK-class end-of-world or YK-class end-of-reality scenario. Then everyone is effectively disposable.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All the SCP stuff reminds me that Control was one of the best video games of last year, and if you like SCP/x files stuff, you have to play it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's a leg to stand on and the point is you can cover physical cracks with stickers, or less antagonistically they can crack underneath.

But noone looks at their hardhat anyway so just be like this guy and sticker them up but buy a new one on a schedule.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Weirdly enough I rarely see GC's with the stickered out helmets. Any sub usually has theirs covered though.

I do what my grandfather (Op Engineer) did and replace them every couple of years and then hang them up in my basement.

I kind of like the new style that looks like a climbing helmet, but I can't see myself using the chinstrap.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

All the SCP stuff reminds me that Control was one of the best video games of last year, and if you like SCP/x files stuff, you have to play it.

Nah, still gonna skip giving any money to epic games exclusive Bitcoin mining spyware horseshit thanks even when it comes to steam or gog. That poo poo should not be rewarded.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Justin Credible posted:

Nah, still gonna skip giving any money to epic games exclusive Bitcoin mining spyware horseshit thanks even when it comes to steam or gog. That poo poo should not be rewarded.

Can you show us on the doll where Tim Sweeney touched you?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I tried it but couldn't get into it. I really really want an SCP RPG game, story based, less shooty mans. Control physics look cool though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LifeSunDeath posted:

I tried it but couldn't get into it. I really really want an SCP RPG game, story based, less shooty mans. Control physics look cool though.

I've played a few games that had telekinesis typer powers and control did it better than any of them. Once you're leveled up it becomes such a fluid game play mechanic. Plus reading all the files on the weird artifacts and whatnot really helped build an interesting world. But obviously not for you if 3rd person shooter type of game isn't your jam.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Because the bonding material never solidifies,

Dude have you never had to pry out the shard of easy cheese that crystallizes into the weird crenellated tip like a wish-I-hadn't-clipped-my-thumbnails-grade booger

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Dude have you never had to pry out the shard of easy cheese that crystallizes into the weird crenellated tip like a wish-I-hadn't-clipped-my-thumbnails-grade booger

What fool pries that out? You just squirt a little out, wipe it on the napkin, and move on eating that horrible cheese "product."

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Justin Credible posted:

It's on consoles, too. On sale on ps4 right now if I'm not mistaken.

Great game.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
The other thing with hard hats is they should be replaced every...5 years I think it was? The plastic eventually goes brittle.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Well, I guess maybe I should start considering replacement of my Hardhat that I've had and worn just about every working day since 2002.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

wesleywillis posted:

Well, I guess maybe I should start considering replacement of my Hardhat that I've had and worn just about every working day since 2002.

18 years of sweat impregnated in it? Yes, probably a good idea.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

At work the rule is no stickers or attachments on the hard hats unless they are certified to not degrade or otherwise negatively effect the hat. Of course you can’t get a consistent answer on this for anything so it is effectively no stickers. Naturally a few of our Gus work on sites which require stickers to show they are allowed on site and certified for various tasks etc. They have to keep a couple of hard hats because of this.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

The other thing with hard hats is they should be replaced every...5 years I think it was? The plastic eventually goes brittle.
Yeah same thing with motorcycle helmets.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Vinyl-wrap the entire hardhat.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Nocheez posted:

What fool pries that out? You just squirt a little out, wipe it on the napkin, and move on eating that horrible cheese "product."

your av always makes me sad when I see it :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

From helmets.org, which is mostly about bicycle helmets but I'm sure a lot of this applies to hard hats as well:

helmets.org posted:

Occasionally somebody spreads rumors that sweat and ultraviolet (UV) exposure will cause your helmet to degrade. Sweat will not do that. The standards do not permit manufacturers to make a helmet that degrades from sweat, and the EPS, EPP or EPU foam is remarkably unaffected by salt water. Your helmet will get a terminal case of grunge before it dies of sweat. Sunlight can affect the strength of the shell material, though. Since helmets spend a lot of time in the sun, manufacturers usually put UV inhibitors in the plastic for their shells that control UV degradation. If your helmet is fading or showing small cracks around the vents, the UV inhibitors may be failing, so you probably should replace it. Chances are it has seen an awful lot of sun to have that happen. Otherwise, try another brand next time and let us know what brand faded on you.

At least one shop told a customer that the EPS in his three year old helmet was now "dried out." Other sales people refer to "outgassing" and say that the foam loses gas and impact performance is affected. Still others claim that helmets lose a percentage of their effectiveness each year, with the percentage growing with age. All of that is nothing but marketing hype to sell a replacement helmet before you need it. There is some loss of aromatics in the first hours and days after molding, and helmet designers take account of that for standards testing. But after that the foam stabilizes and does not change for many years, unless the EPS is placed in an oven for some period of time and baked. The interior of your car, for example, will not do that, based on helmets we have seen and at least one lab crash test of a helmet always kept in a car in Virginia over many summers. Helmet shells can be affected by car heat, but not the foam. The Snell Memorial Foundation has tested motorcycle helmets held in storage for more than 20 years and found that they still meet the original standard. See the next paragraph for lab testing of bicycle helmets showing the same thing.

https://helmets.org/replace.htm

tl;dr Replace it if it's taken an impact or has any visible damage, otherwise it's probably fine.